Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

I didn't think there was any way Roderick had a chance, but reports out of camp suggest he's clearly outplaying MK.

So these are all the OL on the camp roster. Assuming no major injury along the way, who y'all got for the final roster spots?

My assumption is 9 spots. I guess they could keep 10 but I'm thinking 9. My 9 are starred below, and my 5 starters in week 1 are double starred. I expect Scharping to be starting sooner rather than later but not game 1.

** Nick Martin C
** Zach Fulton C/G
* Greg Mancz C/G
Senio Kelemete G
Malcolm Pridgeon G
Maurquice Shakir G
* Julie'n Davenport T
** Seantrel Henderson T
** Tytus Howard T/G
** Roderick Johnson T
Matt Kalil T
Rick Leonard T
* Martinas Rankin T/G
* Max Scharping T/G
David Steainmetz T

Kinda sucks we're in a position to either cut kelemente who we signed as a fa last year , or cut Rankin who was a 3rd round pick last year.

I'd rather cut seantrel but not sure who can play rt instead

So what's the word on Martin & Mancz? They going to play this week?
The reports I've read is that the expectation/hope is that Martin will return next Monday. As of Wednesday, Mancz was still out. I've seen no report he practiced Thursday or anything as to when he'll be available.

Last edited:
Finally had a little break in my day and watched the next Eagles series, really not trying to hate on Dillard because overall he looked really good with some rookie mistakes. I think he will progress as an LT faster, well because he is actually getting to play LT and I agree with the posters who are advocating to let Howard practice/play at LT it's easier to find a guard (IMHO).

One run play and one pass play - his weakness is supposed to be in the run game, and he isn't as strong there as in pass protection but he doesn't suck, normally gets his hands on someone but he is no road grader at this point...

dillard second series run play1.gif

dillard second series pass play.gif

Last edited:
I would like to see more of Roderick Johnson (63), good size, long arms, had a few years to develop strength and work on technique (unfortunately partly with Devlin). But he didn't look bad in the GB game, liked this run block. (At least I would like to see more if they still don't want to play their 1st round pick at LT)

RJ Run Play - Texans vs GB (3).gif

I would like to see more of Roderick Johnson (63), good size, long arms, had a few years to develop strength and work on technique (unfortunately partly with Devlin). But he didn't look bad in the GB game, liked this run block. (At least I would like to see more if they still don't want to play their 1st round pick at LT)

Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with Henderson on his block there? I'm watching & he starts strong. Looks like he's going to blow the fup out of that LB... but it turns to little more than a love tap.

Good point I was focused on the LT and didn't even notice Henderson knock the LB back then just let him walk around him.

I still think I'd rather sink or swim with Howard and Scharping at tackles and see whether they're able to play out there. If they know the playbook, then let them go. Best case, we got our tackles of the future, worst case you move them inside and see if you got something there. In a perfect world, I'd rather try to find my tackles first because they're harder to find. If the long term intention is to play them both at tackles then let's accelerate that and see what we got.

Good point I was focused on the LT and didn't even notice Henderson knock the LB back then just let him walk around him.
I actually think Fulton blows that play up. He is walked back right into the path of the RB forcing him outside. Henderson is letting his guy go thinking the RB is behind him not outside of him.

Kinda sucks we're in a position to either cut kelemente who we signed as a fa last year , or cut Rankin who was a 3rd round pick last year.

I'd rather cut seantrel but not sure who can play rt instead

Wait a minute .... trying not to be overly reactive here .... but I could swear I'm beginning to see a trend here ! Shirley not !

I actually think Fulton blows that play up. He is walked back right into the path of the RB forcing him outside. Henderson is letting his guy go thinking the RB is behind him not outside of him.

Yeah Fulton gets blown off the ball there. Actually looks like he & Scharping are double teaming a DT & losing.

I'm not blaming Henderson for the lack of production on that play, but he's got that LB dead to rights & should have knocked him on his tush. If we ever win at the LOS, that 2nd level block will be a real concern.

I wish we would stop using the probowler thingy like it's a major accomplishment. That dude had one good year and then rest were hampered with injuries. This is his last shot and he's not stepping up to the plate. This suppose to be a competition between him and Davenport.

Watch us have the same freaking start as last season. The line looking lost AF and Watson getting killed.

I wish we would stop using the probowler thingy like it's a major accomplishment. That dude had one good year and then rest were hampered with injuries. This is his last shot and he's not stepping up to the plate. This suppose to be a competition between him and Davenport.

Watch us have the same freaking start as last season. The line looking lost AF and Watson getting killed.

If Kalil sre Davenport are starting at LT Watson is likely to get killed (I said neck broken) and the Texans org will have gotten what they deserve for their negligence.

Not to mention that Pro-Bowl thing was 7 years ago.

Get what you are saying about pro bowl but many never get nominated so it does have value.

If Kalil sre Davenport are starting at LT Watson is likely to get killed (I said neck broken) and the Texans org will have gotten what they deserve for their negligence.

Last season the entire line was getting the youngster killed. He was getting himself killed. And finally play calling from the OC was getting him killed. The main reasons for the 2nd point was because that line had 3-4 new starters. They didn't even get the reps I believe is very important throughout the 2018 preseason games. It took them three regular season games to get a small amount of cohesiveness. Injuries started to mount up all across the board and Watson took a hefty beating, in which was the direct reflect. Fuller imo is the key to it all. Go back and look at the games he played in before the injury. That youngster speed and route running abilities puts fear into all defenses. Teams wouldn't send that extra guy off the edge because they had to account for 2 lethal threats. Watson was able to get him the ball quickly. Fuller seemed to always have his man beat badly. Separation was sick.

Last edited:
And some continues to go to war for this lying ash dude.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...emain-at-left-tackle-for-Houston-14341062.php

SPORTS // TEXANS
Bill O'Brien: Matt Kalil is Texans' starting left tackle
Aaron Wilson , Houston ChronicleAug. 17, 2019 Updated: Aug. 18, 2019 1:21 a.m.

gallery_medium.jpg

Roderick Johnson (63), a former fifth-round pick, looked sharp at left tackle during the Texans’ preseason victory Saturday.
gallery_medium.jpg

The Houston Texans are led onto the field by a group of youngsters before an NFL preseason football game against the Detroit Lions
gallery_medium.jpg

Houston Texans quarterback Joe Webb (5) is picked up off the turf by offensive guard Maurquice Shakir (61) and offensive tackle

The most scrutinized position on the Texans’ roster hasn’t stabilized midway through the preseason, taking another sideways turn Saturday night.

Unless it has.

An overhauled offensive line unveiled a different starting combination in the Texans’ 30-23 victory over the Detroit Lions at NRG Stadium. Former Pro Bowl left tackle Matt Kalil, signed to a one-year contract worth up to $7.5 million this offseason, wasn’t dressed out for the game one week after a shaky starting debut against Green Bay.

Days after Kalil said he got his foot stepped on and limped through practice Wednesday and was held out of practice Thursday, the 30-year-old former Minnesota first-round draft pick was replaced in the lineup by former Cleveland fifth-round draft pick Roderick Johnson.

After the game, though, Texans coach Bill O’Brien reiterated that Kalil’s status remains unchanged heading into the season opener against New Orleans
Matt Kalil is the starting left tackle,” O’Brien said.

What a Matt Kalil is the starting left tackle,” O’Brien said. idiot. Smh

And some continues to go to war for this lying ash dude.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...emain-at-left-tackle-for-Houston-14341062.php

SPORTS // TEXANS
Bill O'Brien: Matt Kalil is Texans' starting left tackle
Aaron Wilson , Houston ChronicleAug. 17, 2019 Updated: Aug. 18, 2019 1:21 a.m.

gallery_medium.jpg

Roderick Johnson (63), a former fifth-round pick, looked sharp at left tackle during the Texans’ preseason victory Saturday.
gallery_medium.jpg

The Houston Texans are led onto the field by a group of youngsters before an NFL preseason football game against the Detroit Lions
gallery_medium.jpg

Houston Texans quarterback Joe Webb (5) is picked up off the turf by offensive guard Maurquice Shakir (61) and offensive tackle

The most scrutinized position on the Texans’ roster hasn’t stabilized midway through the preseason, taking another sideways turn Saturday night.

Unless it has.

An overhauled offensive line unveiled a different starting combination in the Texans’ 30-23 victory over the Detroit Lions at NRG Stadium. Former Pro Bowl left tackle Matt Kalil, signed to a one-year contract worth up to $7.5 million this offseason, wasn’t dressed out for the game one week after a shaky starting debut against Green Bay.

Days after Kalil said he got his foot stepped on and limped through practice Wednesday and was held out of practice Thursday, the 30-year-old former Minnesota first-round draft pick was replaced in the lineup by former Cleveland fifth-round draft pick Roderick Johnson.

After the game, though, Texans coach Bill O’Brien reiterated that Kalil’s status remains unchanged heading into the season opener against New Orleans
Matt Kalil is the starting left tackle,” O’Brien said.

What a Matt Kalil is the starting left tackle,” O’Brien said. idiot. Smh

Let us hope he’s just being as devious as sone claim he is and is saying that to lure the saints into a false sense of security. Or even better he’s saying that so Washington doesn’t think we have to have Williams and therefore doesn’t try to hose us. I doubt it but we can hope.

After watching this exhibition game it’s pretty safe to say Texans/O’Brian will not trade for a LT before this season instead roll out Kalil with Johnson spelling him as needed. In a couple real games it will be apparent to all who the best option is @ LT and he won’t be named Kalil or Howard.

https://twitter.com/adamclanton/status/1162946409647222786?s=21

SMH. durrrrr “what is da what” this guy just fking irks me man.
I'm with you on this Unc.
I dunno guess O'Brien is just to damn arrogant and pig-headed to admit publicly they blew it on Kalil which I don't get ? I mean seems to me they should be pleased
and releaved they've found somebody in Roderick Johnson who might become a reliable and competent LT though it's still very early but his play last night was encouraging.
The whole world saw how bad Kalil was last week so this could be real progress towards a solution at LT.

Maybe OB is right.

Also maybe he pulls him at halftime after wasting all this time on Kalil. We'll find out pretty soon.

"Maybe OB is right".. LOL, when has that ever happened?

No, I'm going to go with the usual "Tom Savage/head up ass" scenario where Bill O'Brien yet again shows he can't evaluate player performance in practice or in the preseason and starts Kalil.. only to have to crawfish after another one of his coaching decisions fails miserably when the games actually matter.

Even though Roderick has looked good I'd be nervous about him being the starting lt. Would prefer him to be the backup

seems to me they should be pleased
and releaved they've found somebody in Roderick Johnson who might become a reliable and competent LT though it's still very early but his play last night was encouraging.
Agreed. I don't expect him to name Roderick the starter, but "We always do what's best for the team." Or, "We believe in competition at every position."

@aaronjreiss: #Texans first-round pick Tytus Howard broke a finger in last night’s preseason game, according to a source. The team believes he could still be ready for Week 1

You guys dont get It.
Kalil is a great guy. Good guy. He works hard. Blah blah blah blah

I bet the GM OB went to bat to bring this guy in. OB gonna go out of way to save face.

But we know how HC OB is in game one. Quick to pull a guy

It’s important they play as cohesive unit and help each other. I’m more bewildered with Center position. Maybe Martin comes back and asserts his starting role, perhaps not? Fulton has been solid while Rankin showed flashes. O’Brians plan of versatility may pay off yet, who knew.....

After starting and playing a few series does anyone actually think OB, or any HC for that matter, would name that guy a starter? Lol, I remember folks getting all excited over Savage early on. Those five starting spots have to be earned this year. Just ask Davenport and Kelemete.

Back