Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

They had the Texans liking Howard more... all of them

Link? There was no such report. Only after the draft did pancakes and others parrot the company line that they "targeted" Howard.

We can just go back to the draft threads in this forum and see that everyone was expecting Dillard if he fell to the texans

He wasn't a sure fire top 10 prospect, and his run blocking is a question market (somewhat irrelevant in today's NFL) but the fact that he fell there also means it was great value

Agreed,but not high enough to cost an additional 3rd according to the Texans

Link? There was no such report. Only after the draft did pancakes and others parrot the company line that they "targeted" Howard.

We can just go back to the draft threads in this forum and see that everyone was expecting Dillard if he fell to the texans

Only the fans... all the reports were they valued Howard highly... none that Dillard was top of their board

Only the fans... all the reports were they valued Howard highly... none that Dillard was top of their board

And that's fair of the Texans to think.

But panicking and reaching for the next available LT is the mistake. Not getting value there.

There was never any report that they ranked Howard higher than Dillard.

Dude, can't you read? Maybe they didn't think they had a shot at Dillard, but there was no talk about Dillard other than from the fan's

Himself admitting the problem was huge

This is quite true. However, a trained medical staff should be able to at least see the signs.

My wife and I went through this with her rather recently. I saw the signs and it took forever for her to actually go see a doctor and they figured it out rather quickly. I'm not a doctor myself, but I saw the signs. Someone around him should have seen the signs even if he wasn't able to process it himself. A trained NFL medical staff should have definitely been able to figure this out.

YOUR OPINION is about as much value

giphy.gif

To me, that's the point. Why didn't such a competent player not want to be here?

This happens with every team with any coach. Even Belichick has players that don't want to play for him or get tired of playing for him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...or-bill-belichick-who-is-an-a-hole-sometimes/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-with-belichick-has-one-condition-for-return/

Now they are in no way saying that Belichick is a bad coach, the opposite actually, but they also weren't/aren't dealing with the mental issue Brooks is and BB has the advantage of, youknow, winning....alot. Point is every coach has players that don't want to play for them.

Agreed,but not high enough to cost an additional 3rd according to the Texans

Yep. Is Dillard the better prospect of the two? Sure. Would the Texans have drafted him had he been available? IMO, Yes.

But he wasn't such a great prospect that they wanted to give up additional picks to get him.

He wasn't a sure fire top 10 prospect, and his run blocking is a question market (somewhat irrelevant in today's NFL) but the fact that he fell there also means it was great value

There were definite questions to Dillards pass blocking as well (though he was the best pure pass blocker in the draft). His feet are great, excellent kick slide, etc. However, his hands were awful coming out and he lacked a nasty streak. I think Im on record here hoping that we would not draft Dillard.

As with most everyone, I thought Howard was drafted too high...my choice would have been a CB like Deandre Baker (not sure how his camp is going). That being said, by accounts in camp, Howard may be our best OL. Im willing to give him time before judging too harshly.

This is quite true. However, a trained medical staff should be able to at least see the signs.

My wife and I went through this with her rather recently. I saw the signs and it took forever for her to actually go see a doctor and they figured it out rather quickly. I'm not a doctor myself, but I saw the signs. Someone around him should have seen the signs even if he wasn't able to process it himself. A trained NFL medical staff should have definitely been able to figure this out.

Maybe and maybe not. I don't know who is or what kind of training the Texans medical staff have but I did get to meet some of the Rockets team doctors when I worked safety at NRG. This was back with Yao Ming was injured and they were using the NRG training room for his rehab. (side note Yao Ming was very nice to though the Chinese handler that traveled with him wasn't.) Good doctors but they were very specialized for dealing with sport injuries and recovery. I got the feeling that if I had a bad leg they could tell me all about it and how to best get it healed but if I had a cough I was talking to the wrong people.

Yep. Is Dillard the better prospect of the two? Sure. Would the Texans have drafted him had he been available? IMO, Yes.

But he wasn't such a great prospect that they wanted to give up additional picks to get him.

That same 3rd round pick was used to bring in backup running back Duke Johnson Jr ... for comparisons sake Jordan Howard a much more accomplished NFL running back was traded for a 6th round pick.

Are we to believe that a backup running back is more important than a starting Left Tackle?

That same 3rd round pick was used to bring in backup running back Duke Johnson Jr ... for comparisons sake Jordan Howard a much more accomplished NFL running back was traded for a 6th round pick.

Are we to believe that a backup running back is more important than a starting Left Tackle?

Ever since obrien got here they have overpaid and lost value in transactions. Then people wonder why we are scouring the waiver wire all year.

There were definite questions to Dillards pass blocking as well (though he was the best pure pass blocker in the draft). His feet are great, excellent kick slide, etc. However, his hands were awful coming out and he lacked a nasty streak. I think Im on record here hoping that we would not draft Dillard.

As with most everyone, I thought Howard was drafted too high...my choice would have been a CB like Deandre Baker (not sure how his camp is going). That being said, by accounts in camp, Howard may be our best OL. Im willing to give him time before judging too harshly.

I have no problem with Howard. He is a solid prospect. I'm not going to pretend he's better than Dillard, though he may eventually be.

What's worse is Howard isn't even getting reps at LT anyway.

Yep, looked like a rookie making a rookie mistake, just like should be expected. Though I am sad it was just the Eagles backup, I could watch Wentz get hit like that all day, something about that guy annoys me.

Tweet from @geoffschwartz: The LT is doing his job here. Empty protection, they bring cross dog (his linebacker comes) so he squeezes down. This is on the QB once again. I doubt they'd seen a cross dog vs empty protection yet. https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1162141185638633474

I have no problem with Howard. He is a solid prospect. I'm not going to pretend he's better than Dillard, though he may eventually be.

He was definitely not better than Dillard as far as pass blocking goes. Totally agree. He does have a nasty streak...but so did Giacomini

Im not worried about him playing LG for now. He is getting second team reps at LT. If he isnt getting first team reps by next season, Ill be more skeptical.

Bingo. Howard has skills. I like his feet, and his punch. He has the body of a LT, yet the coaches feel his development there would be better suited inside learning a completely different set of techniques and assignments. These young guy are already swimming, and the Texans make it easier on them by ADDING MORE TO THEIR PLATE!! LOL

He's their LT of the future. Their current LT is getting old. Jason Peters is 37.

Believe it or not most NFL teams, especially the smart ones, draft for value and not for need. Drafting for need is what bad teams do.
True unless they get box in as the Texans have done on the need to protect there franchise QB which has grown in immediacy.

Whether at 22 or 23 there's no guarantee he's a starting LT. Sure fire can't miss ought to be starting day one LTs are taken top 15.

Dillard is a good prospect. Maybe better than Howard. But it's not like we didn't trade up for a sure thing.

Brooks is just another drop in the BO'b is a bad coach bucket.

A bucket that, from player comments point of view, is a pretty empty. Now if you want to add in OC and loyalty to Devlin then we can fill it up pretty fast but for the most part his players have said nothing but good things about him. Its why when this comes all anyone can point to is Brooks.

Reactions: JB
Bingo. Howard has skills. I like his feet, and his punch. He has the body of a LT, yet the coaches feel his development there would be better suited inside learning a completely different set of techniques and assignments. These young guy are already swimming, and the Texans make it easier on them by ADDING MORE TO THEIR PLATE!! LOL

I mean I would understand playing Howard at LG if we had a solid LT so we can move Howard over later.

But we have Kalil and Roderick.

Im not worried about him playing LG for now. He is getting second team reps at LT. If he isnt getting first team

To me, the fact that he is on the field leads me to believe the Texans feel he may be able to make the move this year if needed.

With Roderick Johnson showing promise they may feel that need is not so great, but you never know.

I'll be surprised if Kalil is our starting LT week 1.

Bingo. Howard has skills. I like his feet, and his punch. He has the body of a LT, yet the coaches feel his development there would be better suited inside learning a completely different set of techniques and assignments.

I'm anxious to see Saturday's game. Sounds like Kalil is having a rough go in practice. I can't imagine he'll be better in a game.

It might make sense to move him to LG & Howard out to LT the final two weeks of the preseason.

I mean I would understand playing Howard at LG if we had a solid LT so we can move Howard over later.

But we have Kalil and Roderick.

Really should build your OL from inside out. But yeah. It's taking BO'b a minute to realize he ain't got a LT. like I said, may be time to move Chester Pitts Matt Kalil inside.

Riiiiggghhhttt... I'm sure that's how it would be looked at if he was an LT wearing a Texans uniform? Or would we say OB and Devlin suck?

If the Texans had won a super bowl two years ago I wouldn't say they suck because of a single sack

I'm anxious to see Saturday's game. Sounds like Kalil is having a rough go in practice. I can't imagine he'll be better in a game.

It might make sense to move him to LG & Howard out to LT the final two weeks of the preseason.

Kalil is done IMO.

I'd let Davenport and Roderick fight it out for the starting spot.

Keep Tytus and Kelemente at LG.

I would have started the year with Davenport and developed Tytus behind him but too late for that.

The bolded is arguable considering the total production for both is about the same, but 1 guy was a starter (Howard) & the other was not (Duke). I'm sure if Duke got the same number of touches Howard got, his numbers would blow Howard's away. The only other major difference is 1 guy is largely just a battering ram & the other does it primarily by air, but can tote the rock too, he just wasn't asked to in Cleveland.

Kalil is a one trick pony, all he knows or could do @ one time is play LT. He would be completely blown up inside.

I'm thinking Kalil's hearts not in it . Besides he can't return to great because he really was OK at best .

I didn't think there was any way Roderick had a chance, but reports out of camp suggest he's clearly outplaying MK.

So these are all the OL on the camp roster. Assuming no major injury along the way, who y'all got for the final roster spots?

My assumption is 9 spots. I guess they could keep 10 but I'm thinking 9. My 9 are starred below, and my 5 starters in week 1 are double starred. I expect Scharping to be starting sooner rather than later but not game 1.

** Nick Martin C
** Zach Fulton C/G
* Greg Mancz C/G
Senio Kelemete G
Malcolm Pridgeon G
Maurquice Shakir G
* Julie'n Davenport T
** Seantrel Henderson T
** Tytus Howard T/G
** Roderick Johnson T
Matt Kalil T
Rick Leonard T