Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Sources] OB & Smith relationship has worsened

Bill O'Brien on job status: 'Whatever the future holds, it holds'
NFL.com
  • Published: Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:52 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 13, 2017 at 03:14 p.m.

Yet as chatter increases around the NFL of growing tension between the third-year coach and the men who employ him -- owner Bob McNair and general manager Rick Smith -- O'Brien also heads into this Divisional Round playoff game with uncertainty surrounding his future.

"I got home the other night and my wife (Colleen) asks me, 'Where are we living next year?' " O'Brien told me Monday during an interview that will air Saturday on NFL Network's "GameDay Morning". "Look, things are out there, and you can't control everything that's out there. I signed a five-year contract when I came here. I've enjoyed coaching here. We like living here. So at the end of the day, the Houston Texans are a place that we enjoy working.

"Whatever the future holds, it holds, but like I said, I have two years left on my contract, so we'll see what happens."

According to various reports -- and based on my conversations with numerous sources -- a breakup between O'Brien and the Texans remains possible, even with Houston in position to reach its first-ever AFC Championship Game with an upset of the heavily-favored Pats. If the Texans succumb Saturday night, McNair will have to decide whether to fire O'Brien (which would be somewhat surprising); to try to trade him to another team (only the San Francisco 49ers have yet to fill their head-coaching vacancy); or to retain him and hope that the working relationship between his coach and GM does not further deteriorate in 2017.

******Also listen to the VIDEO on this page starting at 38 seconds..............she gives some very interesting stats about Brady in the Playoffs WITHOUT Gronkowski (along with some other things to think about).............could put at least a little smile on your face going into this game.

If his wife asked him that question, he's not coming home and telling sweet stories of hand holding through the park with the McNairs. If his wife asked him that question, he's been either silent (doubtful) or open to her about potentially job threatening instances of disagreement, whether those disagreements have been through his initiation or others.

That one quote is really all you need to hear.

Solomon has always been a Smith apologist and cheerleader. He does not disappoint.

Offense, not power grab, should concern Texans' Bill O'Brien
By Jerome Solomon
January 12, 2017 Updated: January 12, 2017 12:54pm

While power tends to corrupt, the quest for power tends to disrupt. (Have you seen "Game of Thrones?")

Right now, Bill O'Brien is being disruptive.

As the Texans prepare for an inevitable disrobing in frigid Foxboro - winter is coming for the Texans in New England, again - media have run wild with talk of how the Texans organization is run.

It is obvious that O'Brien wants more say over matters. And while I don't blame him for seeking said power, if O'Brien doesn't like it here, he should tell Bob McNair, not media.

O'Brien is mistaken if he thinks media maneuvering will get him more power from a man like McNair.

Team sources say there has been a certain tension within the organization since O'Brien's arrival. His "feistiness" rubs some the wrong way.

I don't see that as a bad thing.

When everybody goes along to get along, bad decisions go unchallenged, mistakes are made; Su'a-Filos get drafted and Osweilers are signed for beaucoup bucks.

Who made those calls? Bob McNair knows.

In the NFL, final say is always the owner's, because, well, he is the owner, the only one who doesn't have to answer for his mistakes.

This is what O'Brien signed up for. He knew Rick Smith was the general manager when he took the job.

Lacking leverage

He should have pulled his power play three years ago when he was hired. That was the time to negotiate. (Or he could wait until after his squad pulls off the miracle with an upset over New England, who Las Vegas has listed as a 16-point favorite.)

With two years, at some $5-6 million per year, remaining on his contract, O'Brien doesn't have much leverage now.

As it is, the offseason, off-the-field maneuverings might be more entertaining than the play we've seen from the most boring team in the NFL. Oh, there are plenty of teams that are worse, but none scored fewer touchdowns than O'Brien's offense-less Texans.

This won't distract the Texans players. Their fates are all but sealed anyway.

I asked Bill Belichick, under whom O'Brien worked for five years, about the importance of being in charge of an entire operation, the head coach and de facto general manager, as he has been for the Patriots since 2000.

First, he said his focus this week is on beating the Texans. Then he answered the question.

"It takes a lot of people to run an organization," Belichick said. "There are a lot of people (involved). There's no one person that could do all the jobs that need to be done on any level. It takes a full team and that's what we have.

"Again, just as it relates to Billy (O'Brien), when he got there, they were the worst team in the league … and where they are and the impact that he and his staff have had on that organization … what he's been able to accomplish with his staff, with his development of players, I think is pretty impressive."

No closer than before

A trifecta of 9-7 seasons and a playoff victory over the Silver and Black (and blue) Raiders this year, might impress his friends, but it isn't proof that O'Brien is one of the NFL's top coaches.

It is evidence for the defense … Romeo Crennel's defense, that is.

O'Brien's offense, which for the better part of his three seasons has been an embarrassment, has held the team back.

While O'Brien is worrying about the power to cut players on a whim, as one national writer reported, he ought to be more concerned with how to call a play in which his receiver isn't cut down for a 4-yard gain on third-and-7.

Every second that O'Brien wastes trying to seize more power, he should be using to try to find more ways to power his offense.

I understand where Belichick is coming from, but the hard truth is the Texans are not much closer to winning a Super Bowl now than they were when O'Brien arrived.

It was time for Gary Kubiak to go, but the Parcellian notion that "you are what your record says you are" isn't the be-all, end-all.

The Texans were the worst team in the NFL when Kubiak took over in 2006. They were a middle-of-the-pack team that had a horrible season when he left.

Now, they are a middle-of-the-pack team that had a good season. And they are less equipped to win in Foxboro than they were when they went up there and got stomped in the playoffs exactly three years ago today.

It took the right two broken legs (belonging to Marcus Mariota and Derek Carr) for the Texans to advance this far in the playoffs.

Considering that New England beat Houston 27-0 earlier this season in third-string rookie quarterback Jacoby Brissett's first start, an orthopedic surgeons' convention would have to break out this weekend for the Texans to stand a chance against the Patriots.

Wait. Maybe that's why many of the sourced power stories came out before the Raiders' game.

O'Brien, too, knows that come Saturday night, the lights are going out on the Texans' season.

Solomon has always been a Smith apologist and cheerleader. He does not disappoint.

By Jerome Solomon

While power tends to corrupt, the quest for power tends to disrupt. (Have you seen "Game of Thrones?")

As the Texans prepare for an inevitable disrobing in frigid Foxboro - winter is coming for the Texans in New England, again - media have run wild with talk of how the Texans organization is run.

It is obvious that O'Brien wants more say over matters. And while I don't blame him for seeking said power, if O'Brien doesn't like it here, he should tell Bob McNair, not media.

O'Brien is mistaken if he thinks media maneuvering will get him more power from a man like McNair.

Team sources say there has been a certain tension within the organization since O'Brien's arrival. His "feistiness" rubs some the wrong way.

When everybody goes along to get along, bad decisions go unchallenged, mistakes are made; Su'a-Filos get drafted and Osweilers are signed for beaucoup bucks.

In the NFL, final say is always the owner's, because, well, he is the owner, the only one who doesn't have to answer for his mistakes.

This is what O'Brien signed up for. He knew Rick Smith was the general manager when he took the job.

Lacking leverage

He should have pulled his power play three years ago when he was hired. That was the time to negotiate. (Or he could wait until after his squad pulls off the miracle with an upset over New England, who Las Vegas has listed as a 16-point favorite.)

With two years, at some $5-6 million per year, remaining on his contract, O'Brien doesn't have much leverage now.

As it is, the offseason, off-the-field maneuverings might be more entertaining than the play we've seen from the most boring team in the NFL. Oh, there are plenty of teams that are worse, but none scored fewer touchdowns than O'Brien's offense-less Texans.

I asked Bill Belichick, under whom O'Brien worked for five years, about the importance of being in charge of an entire operation, the head coach and de facto general manager, as he has been for the Patriots since 2000.

First, he said his focus this week is on beating the Texans. Then he answered the question.

"It takes a lot of people to run an organization," Belichick said. "There are a lot of people (involved). There's no one person that could do all the jobs that need to be done on any level. It takes a full team and that's what we have.

"Again, just as it relates to Billy (O'Brien), when he got there, they were the worst team in the league … and where they are and the impact that he and his staff have had on that organization … what he's been able to accomplish with his staff, with his development of players, I think is pretty impressive."

No closer than before

A trifecta of 9-7 seasons and a playoff victory over the Silver and Black (and blue) Raiders this year, might impress his friends, but it isn't proof that O'Brien is one of the NFL's top coaches.

O'Brien's offense, which for the better part of his three seasons has been an embarrassment, has held the team back.

While O'Brien is worrying about the power to cut players on a whim, as one national writer reported, he ought to be more concerned with how to call a play in which his receiver isn't cut down for a 4-yard gain on third-and-7.

Every second that O'Brien wastes trying to seize more power, he should be using to try to find more ways to power his offense.

I understand where Belichick is coming from, but the hard truth is the Texans are not much closer to winning a Super Bowl now than they were when O'Brien arrived.

It was time for Gary Kubiak to go, but the Parcellian notion that "you are what your record says you are" isn't the be-all, end-all.

The Texans were the worst team in the NFL when Kubiak took over in 2006. They were a middle-of-the-pack team that had a horrible season when he left.

Now, they are a middle-of-the-pack team that had a good season. And they are less equipped to win in Foxboro than they were when they went up there and got stomped in the playoffs exactly three years ago today.

It took the right two broken legs (belonging to Marcus Mariota and Derek Carr) for the Texans to advance this far in the playoffs.

Considering that New England beat Houston 27-0 earlier this season in third-string rookie quarterback Jacoby Brissett's first start, an orthopedic surgeons' convention would have to break out this weekend for the Texans to stand a chance against the Patriots.

Wait. Maybe that's why many of the sourced power stories came out before the Raiders' game.

O'Brien, too, knows that come Saturday night, the lights are going out on the Texans' season.
Got to have some material when you can't find something.

By Jerome Solomon

Lacking leverage

No closer than before

Nothing to see here. Just one more person making stuff up and Belichick commenting on a non-existent situation. /sarcasm

Bill O'Brien on job status: 'Whatever the future holds, it holds'
NFL.com
  • Published: Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:52 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 13, 2017 at 03:14 p.m.

******Also listen to the VIDEO on this page starting at 38 seconds..............she gives some very interesting stats about Brady in the Playoffs WITHOUT Gronkowski (along with some other things to think about).............could put at least a little smile on your face going into this game.

Hmmmm....his wife asking "where are we going to live next year" coupled with his own comments about the "situation" doesn't sound like a whole bunch of nothing.

I think whether he's here next year or not, you'd have to have both fingers in your ears humming a tune with your head 20 feet deep in sand to not realize that there is some kind of rift.

If his wife asked him that question, he's not coming home and telling sweet stories of hand holding through the park with the McNairs. If his wife asked him that question, he's been either silent (doubtful) or open to her about potentially job threatening instances of disagreement, whether those disagreements have been through his initiation or others.

That one quote is really all you need to hear.

Exactly.

And then not even just her asking....BUT WTF WITH HIM TALKING ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW...

To me that is basically him coming out and admitting that there are in house issues.

This interview is going to air the morning of the game with him expressing uncertainty about being here next year? :ok:

:fingergun:

Last edited:

I knew it! Those steady flow of F-bombs are hurting the delicate ears of the choir boys on Kirby. I have little doubt that this kind of image on Hard Knocks rubbed the McNairs the wrong way. He finally gets his team on H.K., only to have it for eternity with a cussing head coach.

I truly think this bothers a some folks a LOT more than many of us realize. Especially since O'Brien actually cusses more than what we saw on Hard Knocks.

I knew it! Those steady flow of F-bombs are hurting the delicate ears of the choir boys on Kirby. I have little doubt that this kind of image on Hard Knocks rubbed the McNairs the wrong way. He finally gets his team on H.K., only to have it for eternity with a cussing head coach.

I truly think this bothers a some folks a LOT more than many of us realize. Especially since O'Brien actually cusses more than what we saw on Hard Knocks.

If that is really an issue within the boardroom, can you imagine the awe and shock and stink faces all around when he playfully flipped off Charles James in that one scene....

I wonder if there were any actual pearls being clutched....

By Jerome Solomon

Lacking leverage

No closer than before

One man's opinion.

I trust BB's opinion much more than I trust Solomons.

With that said, BOB will be gone soon, The Texans will continue to be what they have been for the last decade under Ricky McNair's leadership.

I will make one prediction, if Bob McNair lives another decade the Texans will be worth 5 billion $$$.

Exactly.

And then not even just her asking....BUT WTF WITH HIM TALKING ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW...

To me that is basically him coming out and admitting that there are in house issues.

This interview is going to air the morning of the game with him expressing uncertainty about being here next year? :ok:

:fingergun:

A power play BOB will lose.

Ricky is family and the family is making a lot of $$$$,

I hope BOB can find an org that's all about winning, like Kubiak did.

One time thing Im getting sick and tired of is the "we won because the Titans didn't have Mariota and the Raiders didn't have Carr" crap. We've been playing without our starting RT, C, 2nd best CB, and one of the best defenders in the entire league. I love the Raiders, they're my other team and have been since the early 80s, and looking at the Mexico city game, I don't think they beat us without the craptastic officiating that led to 2 consecutive erroneous spots late in the game.

A power play BOB will lose.

Ricky is family and the family is making a lot of $$$$,

I hope BOB can find an org that's all about winning, like Kubiak did.

Name on the front of the jersey.

Good luck to O'b & all that, but I'd rather we find a coach who knows how to play the game. Ricky McNair doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb on the street & if O'b hadn't figured how to manipulate Rain Man... he probably can't figure out how to win a Championship anyway.

One time thing Im getting sick and tired of is the "we won because the Titans didn't have Mariota and the Raiders didn't have Carr" crap. We've been playing without our starting RT, C, 2nd best CB, and one of the best defenders in the entire league. I love the Raiders, they're my other team and have been since the early 80s, and looking at the Mexico city game, I don't think they beat us without the craptastic officiating that led to 2 consecutive erroneous spots late in the game.

Don't forget we did it mostly with the worst QB in the league.

Good luck to O'b & all that, but I'd rather we find a coach who knows how to play the game. Ricky McNair doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb on the street & if O'b hadn't figured how to manipulate Rain Man... he probably can't figure out how to win a Championship anyway.

You cant work around stupid.

I would like to see what BOB could do with a bright GM.

Even with a blow out loss, they made it to the divisional game. No way that McNair fires O'Brien. I do see Godsey getting shown the door in this situation, against O'Brien's wishes, while they get in a real OC instead of what has basically been a glorified grad assistant/intern.

This is a place where I could see O'Brien going down as a result of conflict over and standing by his assistant coach. This is not something that never happens. It's happened many times around the league. HC's that teams would otherwise be willing to keep get shown the door because they won't part with a loyal assistant or two.

If it worked out that way I could see him sent on his way with Godsey in tow.

While I get your point about how everyone is playing without somebody the QB is a completely different situation. Take away a team's QB late in the season when he's playing well and you'll do way more damage to that teams chances than losing Newton/Martin (who never played this year at all), KJo, and Watt who was arguably only himself for part of a game before going out. Yes, we're down some players but it's not even close to the blow those two teams took when Mariota and Carr went down. We've also had most of the year to work out how to get along without those players. They had a week to get over losing their starting QB's.

McClain from this morning:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Texans coach Bill O'Brien said this morning he definitely will be coaching the Texans next season.

O'Brien and his team are preparing for tonight's divisional playoff game against New England, and there have been national and local reports that he would be leaving the team.

O'Brien said he will return for the fourth year of his five-year contract. He's expected to address the issue after the game.

O'Brien's contract says he has control over who does and doesn't play. General manager Rick Smith's contract says he has control over personnel. Smith signed a four-year extension before the season.

Now he ends the distraction?

On game day?
Both O'Brien and McNair addressed this, what, last week after the Raiders game, but the TMZ-minded press still keep trying to create coach-on-the-hot-seat drama where both involved parties said, on live television, there is none. Did I mention that media drama = clicks and call ins (not to mention 14 pages on this thread :D).

Although I DO find it quite interesting that in all this O'Brien-and-Smith-hate-each-other sh!tstorm nobody - NObody - has asked Rick Smith anything. At least not that I've heard.
How come?

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 1h1 hour ago

I spoke with Bill O'Brien this morning and he assured me he's not going anywhere and will continue coaching the Texans.

I spoke with Bill O'Brien's dog this morning and he said that he's busy digging up and cataloging all of the bones he buried in Houston in preparation for a move. Some are missing though and he suspects Rick McNair's dog took them when he came over that one time...

The family cat has no comment about any of this.

I spoke with Bill O'Brien's dog this morning and he said that he's busy digging up and cataloging all of the bones he buried in Houston in preparation for a move. Some are missing though and he suspects Rick McNair's dog took them when he came over that one time...

The family cat has no comment about any of this.
Link?

:D

McClain from this morning:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Texans coach Bill O'Brien said this morning he definitely will be coaching the Texans next season.

O'Brien and his team are preparing for tonight's divisional playoff game against New England, and there have been national and local reports that he would be leaving the team.

O'Brien said he will return for the fourth year of his five-year contract. He's expected to address the issue after the game.

O'Brien's contract says he has control over who does and doesn't play. General manager Rick Smith's contract says he has control over personnel. Smith signed a four-year extension before the season.

That power structure would align with the rumors.

Don't forget we did it mostly with the worst QB in the league.
I think Os would have been quite a bit better than the worst quarterback if he was utilized like he was the first two games of this season and partially in some other games.

I am not denying he has some weaknesses that stand out like a wart on a witches hooked nose.

I am just saying if properly used to his strengths he would have been better and we probably would have seen some growth and improvement.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 1h1 hour ago

I spoke with Bill O'Brien this morning and he assured me he's not going anywhere and will continue coaching the Texans.

Damn... guess he's gone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love the guy... don't hate him either. In a perfect world I'd rather they figure out how to work together. But if they're going to do something I'd rather rip the bandaid & get on with it.

Although I DO find it quite interesting that in all this O'Brien-and-Smith-hate-each-other sh!tstorm nobody - NObody - has asked Rick Smith anything. At least not that I've heard.
How come?

Because O'b works for McNair. O'b can resign, or McNair can fire him. Other than possibly being the source of contention, Ricky McNair doesn't have a dog in this fight.

How would a GM not have input or rooting interest in regards to who the HC is?

Were you around when McNair was looking for his next HC? There was a bit of a to do about it.

Rick was not involved in hiring O'b. O'b works for McNair. O'b & Rick are equals, neither can trump the other.

"Ian Rapoport reports that he had talked to several teams believing that Bill O'Brien was available via a coach trade,

But now that is no longer the case."

This doesn't happen unless Smith and McNair are responsible and the original promoters for this ill-conceived move. San Francisco was at the top of the list..........not a team that O'Brien would ever choose due to the owner's proven pathology.

Were you around when McNair was looking for his next HC? There was a bit of a to do about it.

Rick was not involved in hiring O'b. O'b works for McNair. O'b & Rick are equals, neither can trump the other.
..........equal until it goes to McNair for arbitration of a disagreement..............then I assure you, it predictably always becomes the same 2 against 1........

Texans coach Bill O’Brien defiant amid rumors about his future in Houston
Cameron DaSilva @camdasilva
Jan 15, 2017 at 11:40a ET

The Houston Texans were knocked out of the playoffs on Saturday night, falling to the New England Patriots 34-16. It ended what was a season filled with overachievement, as well as struggles on the offensive side of the ball – namely by Brock Osweiler.

Their season was a bizarre one in which they were fortunate to sneak into the playoffs, only to be exposed by a good Patriots team. Bill O’Brien has come under some criticism and been rumored to be on the hot seat despite his team’s success, but he addressed those claims after the Texans’ loss.

“I’ll be back next season,” O’Brien said, via ESPN. “I’ll be the Texans’ head coach. I’ll be back next season. Like I said, I have a five-year contract. This is Year 3.”

O’Brien would like to put an end to the rumors that he might be fired, or possibly leave for another team. Sure, there have been some pitfalls during his tenure in Houston, and some tense moments, but three straight 9-7 seasons with a myriad of quarterbacks is pretty solid.

His next challenge is trying to figure out who his quarterback will be next season. Osweiler is obviously under contract and has a hefty cap hit in 2017, but his play falls far below his salary. That showed on Saturday night, with Osweiler once again throwing for fewer than 200 yards on 40-plus attempts – the fourth time the Texans have done that this season.

“I’m looking forward to working this offseason to try to improve the team,” O’Brien said. “I really enjoy coaching this team. I have a lot of great feelings about the guys that I coach in that locker room. … And I’m looking forward to coming back and coaching those guys.”

O’Brien said he’s going to “work hard” to improve the offense this offseason, though he didn’t say exactly what that would entail. One can assume working with Osweiler will be a big priority, if not replacing him completely.

O’Brien said he’s going to “work hard” to improve the offense this offseason, though he didn’t say exactly what that would entail. One can assume working with Osweiler will be a big priority, if not replacing him completely.
Perhaps he'll find the time to actually interview the guy(s) who will be competing for the starting QB job this time.

....it's just a thought

Honestly with a decent QB, I feel like OB is a pretty good head coach. I know a ton of you want him gone, but I have this real fear that we let OB go, and he immediately turns his next team into a Super Bowl contender.

He deserves some blame for the QB situation, the only reason we aren't a true contender, but in all the years of mediocrity, there has been one constant: Ricky McNair. He is the gift that keeps on giving and last night, two of his big first round busts (Kareem Jackson and Will Fuller) were two of the biggest reasons we got blown out. Sure, I'll credit Smith with Mercilus, Hopkins, Clowney, and Kevin Johnson, but his inability to find, or even draft a QB in the first 3 rounds, should get him removed as GM.

Point is, I'm not willing to reach a verdict on Bill O'Brien until Rick Smith is gone, and/or moved to another front office position.

You cant work around stupid.

I would like to see what BOB could do with a bright GM.

Back