Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We are first on the waiver wire.
If we get him off the wire that means Belichick gets nothing. What's to stop St. Louis from giving him a 6th?

If O'Brien thought anything of Ryan Mallett why would he risk it? If he's willing to start the season with Fitzpatrick to call his bluff... the. He's not seeing the upside many think might be there.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
If we get him off the wire that means Belichick gets nothing. What's to stop St. Louis from giving him a 6th?

If O'Brien thought anything of Ryan Mallett why would he risk it? If he's willing to start the season with Fitzpatrick to call his bluff... the. He's not seeing the upside many think might be there.
The question is about the RELATIVE value of Ryan Mallett.

Does Ryan Mallett rate as a good QB in the Rams', Browns', or Bills' offenses? Does he fit with them?

The reason he appears to have heightened value for us is because he's already in a variation our offensive system with very similar concepts and verbiage.

He's not going to fit with the Browns. He's not a fit for Kyle Shanahan's system and he doesn't know it.

So it's down to whether he fits with the Rams or the Bills as to whether they're whether to give up something to steal him away from us.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So it's down to whether he fits with the Rams or the Bills as to whether they're whether to give up something to steal him away from us.
Again, if OB goes & get him, I'm happy. If he doesnt... I'm happy. I may not understand why he would want to start the season with Fitzpatrick under center when he could have Mallett, but if that's the way it goes I would take it as OB not seeing Mallett as an upgrade.

If he thought Mallett was a starter then it doesn't make sense to me to not have him here for training camp... even if it cost us next year's 2nd.

If he wants to bring Mallett in as a backup. Well that don't make any sense at all.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Why on earth do people continue to think Mullet is better than what we have? At least what we have knows the offense. Bringing in a subpar talent like Mullet at this point in the season doesn't make sense. And who's going to let go of a good QB without asking for draft choices? And Mullet isn't a good QB.

Hell, they probably can't give Mallett away at this point.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
After Garoppolo's performance last nite, for those who were hoping that Bellichick would cut or trade Mallett..........stick a fork in it.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
After Garoppolo's performance last nite, for those who were hoping that Bellichick would cut or trade Mallett..........stick a fork in it.
I do wonder why Belichick didn't give Mallett any snaps.
The practical me says, Mallett knows the system and Bill's trying to get Jimmy G. as many in-game snaps as possible since neither Brady nor Mallett need them.

But there's a conspiracy theorist :tinfoil: in me that says Mallett might screw the pooch and diminish whatever trade value he might have so Bill's keeping him under wraps.

speedfreek

All Pro
Mallett has had 3 years in the system there and still looked no better
than our guys with one camp.

After watching our QB's mature, and what went on with Mallett, I'm
starting to believe that the system in NE only works because of
Brady -- and not vice versa

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Mallett has had 3 years in the system there and still looked no better than our guys with one camp.

After watching our QB's mature, and what went on with Mallett, I'm
starting to believe that the system in NE only works because of
Brady -- and not vice versa
Well, there was that one year when Matt Cassell looked like a genuine starter. I think they went 11-5. But beyond that, no one else has started for any extended length of time since Brady took the reins.

speedfreek

All Pro
Cassell might be a good pickup if the vikes release him -- He could
be a better alternative to fitz.

(and you could still keep Case and Tom to keep the cost of the addition
low)

Well, there was that one year when Matt Cassell looked like a genuine starter. I think they went 11-5. But beyond that, no one else has started for any extended length of time since Brady took the reins.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I haven't watched the game yet, but looking at the stats (42 attempts 248 yards) & seeing a few highlights I have a feeling you'd say the same thing for anything short of a butt fumble.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He also went 10-6 with Charlie Weisz. I don't know why we weren't interested in him but signed Fitzpatrick & named him the starter.

brg88tx

Waterboy
our qbs suck so bad there are many teams' 3rd and 4th qb that would be an upgrade for us. I hope we sign someone Saturday.

Connor Shaw is near the top of my list.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
our qbs suck so bad there are many teams' 3rd and 4th qb that would be an upgrade for us. I hope we sign someone Saturday.

Connor Shaw is near the top of my list.
I doubt many people outside the Patriots watched Cassel in the preseason & thought he could lead them to an 11-5 season.

Then he went to KC with Charlie Weisz went 10-6 & had people saying, "Maybe Bowe isn't a bust."

I'm not a big Fitzpatrick fan, or a little Fitzpatrick fan but I still think there's enough talent on this team that he won't slow us down too much.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!

It's not just about the player. It's also about time to learn the system. This is why Keenum and Savage are better than others with similar or even slightly better skill level without knowledge of the system.

St. Louis needs a veteran backup that knows their system or can pick it up quickly, not a trainee. Is Mallett worth a late rounder under THESE circumstances? Maybe. But maybe not. It is also possible that knowing Belecheats system isn't quite the same as knowing OBs system. There seems to be almost universal acceptance that OB is just Belecheat light. Again, maybe not.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I'd get on the phone with Oak and see if we could get McGloin for a 6-7th. I'd much rather go with him over Fitz. He knows the offense already. For some reason he reminds me of Rich Gannon, though he doesn't run as much

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I'd get on the phone with Oak and see if we could get McGloin for a 6-7th. I'd much rather go with him over Fitz. He knows the offense already. For some reason he reminds me of Rich Gannon, though he doesn't run as much
I just think if something like this were to happen, it would have happened back in training camp. Not 1 week from the opener. Sadly we are rolling with Fitz, Case and Tom. People need to get over it and hope for the best at this point.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why? Because he's better than Fitz?

We don't need to be looking for QBs that are better than Fitzpatrick, we need to be looking for our franchise QB. Fitz is who he is & he is where he is. I'm not interested in taking baby steps, or threading water... the next QB we get should be a bonafide blue chip.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club

We don't need to be looking for QBs that are better than Fitzpatrick, we need to be looking for our franchise QB. Fitz is who he is & he is where he is. I'm not interested in taking baby steps, or threading water... the next QB we get should be a bonafide blue chip.
Tired of the brown chips?

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club

While I agree we need to be searching for our long term answer, thats not likely to happen until next off season. I also follow the Raiders and theres something about McGloin. Worse case scenario we'd have a long term back up with him. Best case, he and savage both continue to develop to the point where one is tradable for a good draft pick.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I just think if something like this were to happen, it would have happened back in training camp. Not 1 week from the opener. Sadly we are rolling with Fitz, Case and Tom. People need to get over it and hope for the best at this point.
My hope is that with Carr showing strong signs of progressing, they would be comfortable rolling with Scahub and Carr making McGloin expendable. A late round pick might be enough to convince them to let him go

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I'd get on the phone with Oak and see if we could get McGloin for a 6-7th.
If the Raiders were comfortable trading McGloin for that, why wouldn't the Texans have just traded Schaub for him? I think they like McGloin as a long term backup and are keeping him.

If the Texans are considering trading for a QB, they should call the Niners about Josh Johnson.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If the Raiders were comfortable trading McGloin for that, why wouldn't the Texans have just traded Schaub for him? I think they like McGloin as a long term backup and are keeping him.

If the Texans are considering trading for a QB, they should call the Niners about Josh Johnson.
And if I were the Niners I'd hang up on you.
Now if you wanted to talk to us (the Niners) about a trade for Gabbert, I might listen.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Good point, not sure how's Schuab's contract would have effected that decision, maybe it was better for us to cut him? Maybe they thought the guys we have would have been good enough (which still may prove to be the case though Im not holding my breath lol)

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
/thread...?

...please?
Unfortunately I think this will linger through the season.

Ah and here is the real perfect storm...Schaub plays well but the Raiders come out and say it was only temporary to ready Carr they want to trade Schaub now that he is his old self ... and the Texans are rumored to be interested...

...with VY to come in as backup.

Even VY goes :vincepalm: at the MB meltdown.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Unfortunately I think this will linger through the season.

Ah and here is the real perfect storm...Schaub plays well but the Raiders come out and say it was only temporary to ready Carr they want to trade Schaub now that he is his old self ... and the Texans are rumored to be interested...

...with VY to come in as backup.

Even VY goes :vincepalm: at the MB meltdown.
And Case becomes the GM/HC and leads us to 5 consecutive Super Bowl wins.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
And Case becomes the GM/HC and leads us to 5 consecutive Super Bowl wins.
And David Carr comes out of retirement, reunites with kubiak. We play them in the sixth Super Bowl. Carr is playing well. But he gets hurt. Sage is his back up. 8 seconds left they are down 5, sage takes of running close to the endzone. JJ watt and clowney hit him simultaneously causing him to spin.....like a helicopter...

He fumbles....but Brandon Harris who has been converted to WR recovers it in the endzone ending our dynasty.

The loss is blamed on swearinger because of a taunting penalty he got on the first defensive series.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame

Yep! Think about it, if you're the Raiders and you're looking to 2015, who would you rather have (if you had to choose just one), Matt Schaub at $5.5 Million (none of which is guaranteed) or Matt McGloin at $585K?

Derek Carr is the QB of the future (probably the very near future), and Matt McGloin is a cheap, competent backup. Schaub is a one year, poorly chosen, stop-gap solution. But they're the Raiders, that's what they do - trade for inadequate QB's.

drs23

Veteran
Against?? I'll post the video of me burning my Texans golf bag if Mallet ever plays a down for the Texans.
So, uh Doc...Are you going to use a Go-Pro or are we going to get a grainy or pixelated crappy cell phone video? Surely since you're international you've picked up one of the latest and greatest G0-Pros, eh?

Standing by...:popcorn:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So, uh Doc...Are you going to use a Go-Pro or are we going to get a grainy or pixelated crappy cell phone video? Surely since you're international you've picked up one of the latest and greatest G0-Pros, eh?

Standing by...:popcorn:
Don't do it, Doc!

Save the Texans golf bag! :fans:
Geez!!! It's the preseason!! Nothing counts!!!

Besides, my clubs and bag are in Lufkin and I'm in Charlotte, NC right now!!! :breakdance:

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Geez!!! It's the preseason!! Nothing counts!!!

Besides, my clubs and bag are in Lufkin and I'm in Charlotte, NC right now!!! :breakdance:
Well, technically Mallet still has yet to take a snap in a game so you better pray Fitzy never gets hurt.

My offer still stands by the way. I'd hate to see a good golf bag burned. Now that Mario jersey on the other hand...