Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

But I could also see Savage be a day one starter. It is not like we are contenders this year anyways...

I hate this kind of talk.

Are we here to win games or develop quarterbacks? When we step on the field Gameday, our goal should be singular. Winning must preside over all else. If Savage gives us the best chance to win (not at all out of the realm of possibility) then so be it.

& whether we are contenders or not is beside the point. The first goal is to be the best team in our division. Two of the other three have issues of their own, questions at QB same as us. New or fairly new coaches just the same, holes all along their depth charts as well. They hold no advantage over us.

The third team, the Colts, hopefully Denver & New England will provide us with a 2 game advantage. Meaning they have to beat Indy & we have to beat Oakland & Buffalo.

I hate this kind of talk.

Are we here to win games or develop quarterbacks? When we step on the field Gameday, our goal should be singular. Winning must preside over all else. If Savage gives us the best chance to win (not at all out of the realm of possibility) then so be it.

& whether we are contenders or not is beside the point. The first goal is to be the best team in our division. Two of the other three have issues of their own, questions at QB same as us. New or fairly new coaches just the same, holes all along their depth charts as well. They hold no advantage over us.

The third team, the Colts, hopefully Denver & New England will provide us with a 2 game advantage. Meaning they have to beat Indy & we have to beat Oakland & Buffalo.

Perhaps it came off wrong. What I basically meant is: we should not be trying to just win the next game, but to set us up to win the most games in the near future. If we believe Fitz is not the answer and Savage could be, but he needs to play to develope and he is a worse player than Fitz at the start, well then play Savage. We are not here to develope QBs, we are here to form a team that can help us win. And if Fitz is not the answer and Savage is, then do everything you have to do to make sure he can do that.

So, who will start? Will it be Fizpatrick early and Savage after a couple of games? Keenum? I dont think Yates has a chance...

I could see Fitzpatrick starting early and then stay because of decent play, we will be running the ball most of the time anyways. But I could also see Savage be a day one starter. It is not like we are contenders this year anyways...

I'm pretty confident that Fitzpatrick will start and Keenum/Yates will battle over the backup spot. Whoever loses will be cut as Savage will be the 3rd QB and I seriously doubt we carry 4.

I'm pretty confident that Fitzpatrick will start and Keenum/Yates will battle over the backup spot. Whoever loses will be cut as Savage will be the 3rd QB and I seriously doubt we carry 4.

Does BoB carry three QBs on the final roster? Two QBs and a PS QB? Or three QBs and a PS QB?

Whatever happens, Fitz is on the team as is Savage. Savage isn't going to be exposed to the practice squad. Neither Yates or Keenum are eligible for the practice squad.

All that means is either Yates or Keenum says bye bye, which we already knew, and that's going to be the biggest battle in the pre-season as far as QBs go. Or as least as far as we know right now.

so the rumors about extending mallett's contract a year to get the deal done were either lies or secret negotiations that stalled out.

I have mixed emotions on Savage. Don't get me wrong though I love the pick.

The good news is he'd be an awesome 3rd QB that runs the scout team. His history of transferring schools and picking up different play styles and playbooks... Works perfectly in mimicking other teams offenses in prepping our defense for the next game.

On the other hand. I want him learning OUR offense and OUR terminology and be groomed to take over Fitzpatrick's job when he's ready.

so the rumors about extending mallett's contract a year to get the deal done were either lies or secret negotiations that stalled out.

Perhaps Rick Smith was telling us the truth when he said they were not in discussion with the Patriots about Mallett.

Perhaps Ian Rapoport was throwing sh!t at the wall in keeping the rumor alive .... if you guy's haven't noticed , sports journalism has ZERO Integrity anymore , its all about being FIRST , not concise.

Hell , the editors don't even get their editing right , buncha hacks.

I find it funny people believe damn near any tweet they read from some 16 year old twit in Philly saying they have a deal in place with the Rockets for bla bla bla.

Anyone can speculate (throw sh!t at the wall to see what sticks) and a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I think things fell pretty much the way OB/Smith expected it to or at least, this was one of the mainline scenarios.

I think their goal the entire time was to go with Savage and to go with Savage in this round... unless Bortles dropped into the 20's. I think Garoppolo was a smokescreen and I think the Patriots fell for it and drafted Garoppolo trying to get some leverage to force a trade and it fell through.

This eventuality was why they got Fitz. Fitzpatrick is a very smart guy, but not a great QB. He's going to be a great veteran backup, able to pick up and understand... at least intellectually... the offense and new installations quickly, able to help coach Savage, able to show him how to do the right things in the film room, able to help analyze defenses like another coach in Savage's ear. That's Fitz' main job.

In TC/PreSeason, there will be a real QB competition. Whichever of our QBs performs the best will be the starter. Whichever QB of Yates/Keenum performs the worse will be trade fodder to be the backup at Baltimore... maybe even both of them.

In TC/PreSeason, there will be a real QB competition. Whichever of our QBs performs the best will be the starter. Whichever QB of Yates/Keenum performs the worse will be trade fodder to be the backup at Baltimore... maybe even both of them.

Unless Savage just kills them in training camp, they have to have some kind of veteran backup on the roster as insurance against Fitz falling on his face and Savage not being ready. They either keep one of Yates or Keenum, or trade them both straight up for another backup they feel good about.

But that would leave them with no one experienced in the new offense. Which, in fact, none of them are. Interesting idea trading both Yates and Keenum.

Interesting idea trading both Yates and Keenum.

I meant to say that both of them would be available to Baltimore for trade. Whichever one Kubiak wants and Ozzie Smith is willing to trade the most for, that's the one that should be dealt.

I don't think they have trade value to anyone but Kubiak... possibly Shanahan, but I doubt it.

I meant to say that both of them would be available to Baltimore for trade. Whichever one Kubiak wants and Ozzie Smith is willing to trade the most for, that's the one that should be dealt.

I don't think they have trade value to anyone but Kubiak... possibly Shanahan, but I doubt it.

Oh, so you're accusing ME of bringing up that bad idea?

OK. I can see where this is headed. :bat:

i wanna see what obrien can do with keenum.

never had any trust in kubiak working with qbs nor his opinion considering his every qb project failed.

i want to see keenum get a fair shot.

if obrien says he's not good enough for him then im fine with that.

Oh, so you're accusing ME of bringing up that bad idea?

OK. I can see where this is headed. :bat:

:kubepalm:

I don't see it as an accusation per se, more of giving credit where credit is due especially where giving credit shifts the blame.

That's all I'm saying.

I think things fell pretty much the way OB/Smith expected it to or at least, this was one of the mainline scenarios.

I think their goal the entire time was to go with Savage and to go with Savage in this round... unless Bortles dropped into the 20's. I think Garoppolo was a smokescreen and I think the Patriots fell for it and drafted Garoppolo trying to get some leverage to force a trade and it fell through.

This eventuality was why they got Fitz. Fitzpatrick is a very smart guy, but not a great QB. He's going to be a great veteran backup, able to pick up and understand... at least intellectually... the offense and new installations quickly, able to help coach Savage, able to show him how to do the right things in the film room, able to help analyze defenses like another coach in Savage's ear. That's Fitz' main job.

How many QB's does NE normally keep on their roster? I'm assuming Mallett doesn't qualify for the practice squad & we'd probably claim him if he did. That's why I can't help but feel they will try to trade him to us at some point before the season starts or release him at the end of training camp. I guess they could put the rook on injured reserve for the year. I'll be surprised if Yates or Keenum make the final cut.

I bet OB was telling the truth when he said we might get two QBs in this draft. But I think it was Bortles they were looking at early. Garoppolo does not fit the profile to me. Bortles, Garoppolo, Savage... one of those guys don't fit.

If Bortles were to fall out of the top 10 we probably would have tried to make a move. If he fell past 20 I think we definitely would have made a move.

But we were probably looking at getting Bortles & Savage.

I think it is obvious we have no more idea now what O'Brien/Smith's game plan was than before the draft. These players may have been who they targeted or best left on board at each pick other than 1.1.

we got 4 QB's on the roster maybe 5 if mallet is acquired

Somebody'''sss gots 2 go

all likely hood there gonna carry 3 QB's but it really should only be 2

Wonder if anything is still stirring w/Mallet for a very late 2015 pick?
Ryan Mallett trade to Houston Texans still possible
"From what I understand, there is still a chance (for a trade)," Ian Rapoport said on NFL Network, adding that May 27 is the key date because that's when the Patriots take the field for organized team activities.

If trade talks are still extant later this month, it wouldn't make sense for the Patriots to risk an injury to Mallett by allowing him to join teammates in practices.

I'm going to throw my hat into the Ryan mallet ring. He's better than savage and every other qb on this roster. Jmo.

Best arm, best pocket presence, familiar with ob. I think mallet can be a franchise qb here.

Make the trade texans.

I think with mallet we have a great chance of winning the division.

So I'm hoping this trade does go down.

Let savage develop behind him, maybe trade him down the road once mallet proves himself.

I thought this might be the case at one time. However, the longer this goes on, the less likely I believe it to be true. Imagine you were the OC when he was drafted & you worked with him for a year. Then you move on. You work with other young QBs & have relative success. You move to another job & you bring in another guy who worked in the same offense with that guy for the last two years.

So... you think he's a franchise QB. You think you can win instantly with him. You think your QB search would be over with him.

Why sign Fitzpatrick? If you think he's a franchise guy, two 2nds should not be "too much." If reports are correct, the Patriots were asking for a third...

If you think he's a good guy to hold you over for a little while, until you can find your QB of the future & you might be competitive in the division... and you're more concerned about low-balling the Patriots than getting this QB to Houston so you can get to work, then I can see dragging this out.

If you think he's the guy, you do it the way Kubiak/Smith did it with Schaub. two 2nds, & a starters contract. Get to Houston, get to work.

Should Mallett trade goes down according to rumor, do you guys think the Ravens(Kubiak) would be interested in Case or TJ? I understand that they can wait till we cut one of the QB but, I think it would be better for them to have backup QB from the beginning of camp to get your feet wet a sort of speak.

I'm going to throw my hat into the Ryan mallet ring. He's better than savage and every other qb on this roster. Jmo.

Best arm, best pocket presence, familiar with ob. I think mallet can be a franchise qb here.

Make the trade texans.

So I'm hoping this trade does go down.

Let savage develop behind him, maybe trade him down the road once mallet proves himself.

lol, ya, Bill Belichick has a propensity for giving up potential franchise players.

I thought this might be the case at one time. However, the longer this goes on, the less likely I believe it to be true. Imagine you were the OC when he was drafted & you worked with him for a year. Then you move on. You work with other young QBs & have relative success. You move to another job & you bring in another guy who worked in the same offense with that guy for the last two years.

So... you think he's a franchise QB. You think you can win instantly with him. You think your QB search would be over with him.

Why sign Fitzpatrick? If you think he's a franchise guy, two 2nds should not be "too much." If reports are correct, the Patriots were asking for a third...

If you think he's a good guy to hold you over for a little while, until you can find your QB of the future & you might be competitive in the division... and you're more concerned about low-balling the Patriots than getting this QB to Houston so you can get to work, then I can see dragging this out.

If you think he's the guy, you do it the way Kubiak/Smith did it with Schaub. two 2nds, & a starters contract. Get to Houston, get to work.

How do you know what the patriots are asking for?

Besides that, I was just giving my opinion. I wasn't projecting my feelings on to the texans.

But to answer some of your questions there are many possible reasons for the questions you ask. Rick smith was involved in that Schaub deal. He may not want to give up as much again for an unproven qb. Despite what I believe, or what ob may or may not believe you can't just give away whatever someone is asking for simply because no price should be too high.

As for the Fitzpatrick signing, I don't even think he was our first choice. I think McCown was until he signed with Tampa. I think they knew they'd be trading Schaub and wanted at least a solid vet on the roster. OB said for a long time that they were going to take at least one rookie qb.

I liked mallet all along, but I didn't feel like we had to trade for him until seeing our final haul.

But I'm not Nostradamus. I don't know for sure mallet is a franchise guy. I just believe he could be and that he's better than what we currently have. Doesn't mean we should give the pats whatever they want. Position yourself so you can afford not to trade for him, and then haggle and hope they cave. If they don't ride out this year and he'll be a FA next year.

I think Case would be of interest. Enough for a 7th future pick? Maybe.

Yeah, it is likely to be late round pick if that. I like Case but the way Texans are heading, I don't think Case has a chance of playing in Houston and I want Case to go somewhere that he has a chance to play at least as a back up QB.

I expect Pickspatrick to start the season.

If we are winning he'll finish the season.

If we struggle things will get Savage around here.

"Reports" are 5th-7th round pick.

It makes zero sense for the Patriots to trade away Mallett for a late round pick, unless they don't believe he can make their roster as the backup QB. They gain nothing other than a spot on the roster if they trade Mallett for a 5th round pic or later... Here's why:

* If Mallett becomes a free agent next year, he will surely be signed by a team before June 1st, 2015 for a significant amount of money which will result in a compensatory pick for the Patroits. For instance, a 4yr-$20 million contract will likely result in a 4th round compensatory pick for NE... If he gets something north of $6 million per year (certainly possible), they would receive a 3rd round pick... (New England always loses more free agents than they sign- ensuring compensatory picks).

I believe the Texans would have to trade (at minimum) a 5th round pick with a significant conditional upgrade if he performs- performs well for them.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CNDhXXeQLVI

Give him some protection and some good wr's.

Has to have gotten better since then too.

I really think this is our guy.

That could well have been the Case Keenum video from last year. Nothing Mallett did there that Keenum didn't do last year. And, with protection, WRs who hold onto the ball, better coaching, a better defense, a running game, and improved kicking game ... Keenum may just be better than we all think.

We'll see soon enough.

I think its fairly obvious that Fitzpatrick will at least start the beginning of the season. Depending on who wins the #2 role they may get some starts later in the season if we are eliminated from the playoff race.

That could well have been the Case Keenum video from last year. Nothing Mallett did there that Keenum didn't do last year. And, with protection, WRs who hold onto the ball, better coaching, a better defense, a running game, and improved kicking game ... Keenum may just be better than we all think.

We'll see soon enough.

Agreed. If OB is the QB guru that he is portrayed to be, then we should see a very noticeable improvement in Keenum. Hell, the guy has 8 starts under his belt. The problem now is that fans are so fickle they don't want to give any QB a chance to improve. 8 games is nothing for a UDFA QB with minimal reps and a dying coaching staff.

If we would have drafted Bridgewater or Bortles and they had the same record, same stats as Keenum from last year through 8 games we would all be saying that they need at least 2 years to prove themselves.

I'm going to trust OB and assume that he can take these QB's on the roster and make them better. We lost a ton of games with Keenum last year by only 1 score. I think we might be in for a pleasant surprise.

One thing is for sure, IMO, us not taking a QB in round 1 or 2 tells me that OB isn't as concerned at the QB position as we are. Savage is a project. If he steps on the field this year then our season has gone completely wrong. The last thing we want to see this year is Savage starting. Let him sit and learn.

Here's to a successful season and a playoff birth :howdy:.

"Reports" are 5th-7th round pick.

Which is more to the point. If they were looking for a 5th-7th round pick & we thought Mallett was a potential franchise QB, the deal would be done. But since we're haggling in this range (if we're indeed in talks with the Patriots) I can't imagine the Texans believing he is a serious upgrade over Fitzpatrick.

Now... maybe Mallett's agent is balking on the one year extension. If he's wanting a 4 year contract similar to what we gave Schaub, but if they thought we could win with him, I can't imagine they couldn't work something out.

All I'm saying, is the longer this goes on, the less excited I'm getting about Ryan Mallet.

Agreed. If OB is the QB guru that he is portrayed to be, then we should see a very noticeable improvement in Keenum. Hell, the guy has 8 starts under his belt. The problem now is that fans are so fickle they don't want to give any QB a chance to improve. 8 games is nothing for a UDFA QB with minimal reps and a dying coaching staff.

& Tj has 6, three of them being wins, one of those in the play offs. Do you feel that Tj should get "chance to improve" or have you seen enough?

I'm going to trust OB and assume that he can take these QB's on the roster and make them better. We lost a ton of games with Keenum last year by only 1 score. I think we might be in for a pleasant surprise.

I agree. These QBs, if it's Case, great. It would make for a great story. But I don't care if it's Tj or Fitz, as long as we get back to winning.

One thing is for sure, IMO, us not taking a QB in round 1 or 2 tells me that OB isn't as concerned at the QB position as we are. Savage is a project. If he steps on the field this year then our season has gone completely wrong. The last thing we want to see this year is Savage starting. Let him sit and learn.

I think it means he doesn't believe any of the QBs available in the draft were significant upgrades over what we have. Bridgewater/Keenum... bunch of stats in ConfUSA(AAC), big whoop. Bortles/Yates big for nothing.

But he also said there wasn't much separation between the top guys & the guys like Savage. So I don't think he believes there's much difference between Savage & Tj/Case. I wouldn't start him right away either, but he may be at the point where putting him on the field is the best thing for him. Only so much you can learn on the sideline.

Savage is a project. If he steps on the field this year then our season has gone completely wrong. The last thing we want to see this year is Savage starting. Let him sit and learn.

If Savage doesn't win the starting job in camp, I'm worried that he might transfer to another team. :kitten:

So, switching from one "QB guru" to a new "QB guru" is going to make Keenum better? Pffft!

A couple dings on Keenum: 1. He lacks the measurements the now "QB guru" obviously wants. 2. Film. He regressed in epic fashion as games went by. He either couldn't read a defense or refused to due to looking for the big play.

I'd be surprised if he made it to camp

& Tj has 6, three of them being wins, one of those in the play offs. Do you feel that Tj should get "chance to improve" or have you seen enough?

I definitely think TJ has a chance to improve under OB. I thought that Keenum was under contract for another year but they are both FA's in 2015.

Back