Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

SO the Texans are in first place in the division....

With the Jaguars losing, I think we can clinch next week. But I could be wrong.
If we go 1-1, Colts go 2-0, there's a tie for first. I don't know all of the tie breaker rules, but they beat each other once. They'd have the same division record. Who would get the tie breaker?

Texans 16
Dolts 6

Texans win this one .... then lose the next two to the Tinbreds and the Jags.

The Jags win out .... and win the division in the process.
I don't think either of the last two games is a gimme.

w3b5g.jpg

I think we can go 0-2.

If the colts lose to Miami

And the jags lose to new Orleans

Right

Hopefully we can,win next week so we can rest our starters last week. Lord knows we will need it

Where we stand:
Texans 7-7 3-1
Colts 6-8 3-2
Jags 5-9 2-3

With Texans win next week:
Texans 8-7 4-1
Colts 7-8 3-2
Jags 6-9 eliminated

Week 17 Worst case after Texans win week 16:
Texans 8-8 4-2 6-6
Colts 8-8 4-2 6-6

I think we win the division with a win next week against the Titans no matter what happens afterwards. Oops! Forgot to split the conference record so it goes to the next tie-breaker. ?

But a win by the Texans AND a loss by the Colts to Miami clinches the division next week.

Last edited:
Haven't been in the loop u think maroita will play next week did he get injured bad ...????

I did the playoff machine and made us win next week along with Colts and Jags and then put Colts as winners with Jags in week 17 and we still got in. So I think (unless I missed something) no matter what, if we win vs the Tacks, we are in. We can sit some guys (which we need to in order to get healthy) week 17.

With Yates gone now I'm sort of pessimistic about our prospects. I still want us to win that awful division and host a playoff game but I don't have any faith in Brian Hoyer being able to even be competitive in it and I don't think two more weeks is enough time to get Brandon Weeden up to running enough of the playbook competently to make a difference either.

That would be our only hope. Brandon Weeden is our only hope since Brian Hoyer can't be relied upon (blinding flash of the obvious there). We should all let that sink in. Brandon Weeden is the new anointed one.

Being a Texans fan is one hell of a weird ride isn't it?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
ESPN Playoff Machine

It is reasonable to assume the Texans will host the Chiefs for the first game, although the Jets and Steelers are also possibilities. Texans need to win for sure next week though.

If we get out of the 1st round, more than likely we go to New England.

Rest assured that everyone on this board wants Hoyer to catch fire. Some figuratively, some literally, but everyone none the less.

If Hoyer is on fire, less chance of getting sacked??

No defender wants to be the next JPP.

Be warned, you don't want to see the claw.

5139c58cc74a5230860f6a7067008a18.jpg

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
ESPN Playoff Machine

It is reasonable to assume the Texans will host the Chiefs for the first game, although the Jets and Steelers are also possibilities. Texans need to win for sure next week though.

If we get out of the 1st round, more than likely we go to New England.

We basically clinch the division with one more win.

at 8-8, the tiebreaker will come down to (Strength of Victory)... Simply comparing the 3 team wins Houston and Indy had that is unique from the other is the quickest way to determine it. Right now, the Texans are +3 wins with 7 games remaining, while Indy's group have only 5 games remaining (because one of them would be Miami, whom Indy has to beat next week:

Houston wins: Cincinnati 11, NyJets 9, New Orleans 5

Indianapolis w: Denver 10, Atlanta 7, Miami 5

I did the playoff machine and made us win next week along with Colts and Jags and then put Colts as winners with Jags in week 17 and we still got in. So I think (unless I missed something) no matter what, if we win vs the Tacks, we are in. We can sit some guys (which we need to in order to get healthy) week 17.
They went over this on 610. If Texans go 1-1, but Colts go 2-0, then the tie breaker is going to come down to strength of victories.

So if Saints, Bengals and Jets end up with more wins than the Dolphins, Falcons & Broncos... Texans get the tie breaker.

They went over this on 610. If Texans go 1-1, but Colts go 2-0, then the tie breaker is going to come down to strength of victories.

So if Saints, Bengals and Jets end up with more wins than the Dolphins, Falcons & Broncos... Texans get the tie breaker.

In order to sit week 17, (below is only for us to sit in week 17, more possibilities to make playoffs if we play to win week 17)

Texans win vs Tacks and Bengals win vs Denver, Texans are a lock.

Texans win vs Tacks and Colts lose vs Miami, Texans are a lock.

Texans win vs Tacks and Jets and Saints win week 16, Texans are a lock.

Texans win vs Tacks and Jets and Carolina wins week 16, Texans are a lock.

Texans win vs Tacks and Saints and Carolina wins week 16, Texans are a lock.

In order to sit week 17, (below is only for us to sit in week 17, more possibilities to make playoffs if we play to win week 17)

Sounds like good chances! We need that break to let JJ heal up. Anyone know the status with the hand? Is he expected to be in the cast for the remainder of the season? Clubbed-hand Watt is only an All-Pro level player (compared to possibly the greatest defensive player ever when 100%).

I thought today. Great we beat Indy. We can win the division. However what does that mean in the long haul? More ticket price increase because we have a new banner flying up on a weak division and by default we could go and be in tbe playoffs?

Sorry. I just am in a bad mood after this win. It wasn't two good teams playing today. Frustates me because we will see a schedule next year that will play real(above 500) winners and be in purgatory again .

I thought today. Great we beat Indy. We can win the division. However what does that mean in the long haul? More ticket price increase because we have a new banner flying up on a weak division and by default we could go and be in tbe playoffs?

Sorry. I just am in a bad mood after this win. It wasn't two good teams playing today. Frustates me because we will see a schedule next year that will play real(above 500) winners and be in purgatory again .
You could always become a Jags fan if you prefer perennial cellar dwellers with cheap ticket prices.

Houston wins: Cincinnati 11, NyJets 9, New Orleans 5

Indianapolis w: Denver 10, Atlanta 7, Miami 5
In order for the Colts to win the tiebreaker they need all of these games to go their way.

Week 15: Detroit over NO

Week 16: NE over NYJ, Denver over Cin, ATL over Car, Pit over Bal

Week 17: Buffalo over NYJ, Mia over NE, ATL over NO, Bal over Cin, Den over SD.

That's 10 games they need in order to take the tiebreaker from us.

You could always become a Jags fan if you prefer perennial cellar dwellers with cheap ticket prices.
No never. But i watch this team and their struggles and know we are pissing in the wind.

Its one thing to be able to hold your own and catch fire and play some offense. We cant

This scenario is still true, but the Saints can win week 15 MNF or week 16 (I forgot they haven't played yet this week).

I believe mariota got hurt again for Tennessee. Might be another showdown with mettenberger
yep...
Pro Football Talk reports Marcus Mariota has an MCL injury in his right knee.
Mariota missed two games earlier in the season with a sprained MCL. He will have an MRI Monday to fully assess the damage. Mariota said after the game he expects to play again this season, but the smart move for the Titans would be to protect their franchise player in a lost season. Zach Mettenberger threw for 242 yards, two scores, and two interceptions against the Patriots after Mariota left. Mettenberger will likely get the start next week against the Texans.
Dec 20 - 6:21 PM -- Source: Pro Football Talk

Look at it this way, over the past few years both the Seahawks and the Panthers were in this exact same situation, where they made the playoffs with a not-so-great record. And they were both able to keep building and put together strong teams.

Much easier to think about it as having a magic number of 3 (assuming we beat the Tacks). Any combination of our three opponent wins above or losses by Colts' opponents above. If we lose to the Tacks and beat the Jags, magic number drops to 2.

Much easier to think about it as having a magic number of 3 (assuming we beat the Tacks). Any combination of our three opponent wins above or losses by Colts' opponents above. If we lose to the Tacks and beat the Jags, magic number drops to 2.

I'm hoping the Texans clinch next week, so they can rest Watt and the other beat up starters. Then we can listen to the media biatch about an 8-8 team in the playoffs. And after the Texans win in the wildcard round, hear the whining about an 8-8 team hosting a playoff game.

This could become the football reincarnation of the '81 Rockets, who rode Moses Malone and uglyball to the NBA finals. And there's no team that plays uglier than the Texans.

Correct, but the point of my post was to show how we clinch in week 16 so we rest starters in week 17. With my outline, it wouldn't matter what happens in week 17.

I believe mariota got hurt again for Tennessee. Might be another showdown with mettenberger

will mariota ever get to play the Texans LOL

will we know some of the tie breakers in wk16 if indy and jags win ..?????

or will we have to wait till wk 17

Correct, but the point of my post was to show how we clinch in week 16 so we rest starters in week 17. With my outline, it wouldn't matter what happens in week 17.

I remember resting starters in Pre Season (how'd that work out for us), i would rather just let them all play.

I remember resting starters in Pre Season (how'd that work out for us), i would rather just let them all play.

We don't have the luxsure or need to go 100% in wk 17 if we don't have 2

What if JJwatt gets injured in wk 17 or Hopkins then What that was be terrible and people would be pissed at Bill O for playing his starters in Wk17

I'm hoping the Texans clinch next week, so they can rest Watt and the other beat up starters. Then we can listen to the media biatch about an 8-8 team in the playoffs. And after the Texans win in the wildcard round, hear the whining about an 8-8 team hosting a playoff game.

This could become the football reincarnation of the '81 Rockets, who rode Moses Malone and uglyball to the NBA finals. And there's no team that plays uglier than the Texans.

"The Houston Rockets merely adopted uglyball. The Houston Texans were born in it, moulded by it..."

You know, I almost think it's a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation if Weeden plays out the year. Week 17 will be played against Jacksonville in our stadium by a QB who really doesn't have enough time in this offense. Sure, you can rest him but who are you going to run out there? Dysert maybe? Those are going to be live game reps that Weeden could put to good use. They're also risky reps that could cost us the only QB we would have at that point who might be able to be effective the next week in round one.

No good answer in either direction.

You know, I almost think it's a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation if Weeden plays out the year. Week 17 will be played against Jacksonville in our stadium by a QB who really doesn't have enough time in this offense. Sure, you can rest him but who are you going to run out there? Dysert maybe? Those are going to be live game reps that Weeden could put to good use. They're also risky reps that could cost us the only QB we would have at that point who might be able to be effective the next week in round one.

We still have Lechler. Superb Owl just waiting.

No, don't rest Weeden. He needs the reps to learn the offense and get familiar with his teammates and better his timing with the receivers.
And what makes anyone think Watt is the kind that will sit out a game that means we have a winning season?

Back