Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So..OB is the new official GM..

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
If you value Watson's health you get rid of OBrien

That boat has sailed. Like it or not OB is here.

Best we can do now is improve scheme, play calling, position specific coaching, rg upgrade, and the surrounding talent.

-scheme should be tailored to give dw early outlets rather than the late route combos I keep seeing. I've no idea if we incorporate hot routes after all the snaps I've watched under ob and that's just disheartening. Blitzs CAN be beat fast and consistently with the right scheme. Can ob do that? Can the players execute it?

-rg. Fulton is the weak link and has the smallest investment (by salary and draft value.) Spend a higher pick or secure a fa.

-improvment by surrounding talent. Better play by te's will help and we have a young group I expect to get better. Better rb play will help dw even more.

-play calling. Could it help? Damn right. Do I expect Ob to change much here? How could i?

-position specific coaching. Last I saw Devlin is still here. This is a tragic miss. If we were going to get a new ol coach we wouldve done it by now. This ship has also sailed.

----

All that said, we have young players I presume will get better. We might get more talent at rg and better performance in surrounding positions like te or rb. But - our coaching remains the same. From ob to Devlin to scheme to playcalling, nothing has changed.

My forecast for next year is more of the same. We MIGHT trim a few sacks off the final stat sheet but we wont see significant improvement.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I feel like the golden age of professional sports in Houston has been thrust up my butt and returned to crap. Between the 2017 WS trophy turned to rubble and the Texans naming O’Brien lord emperor, my God this is a depressing city to be a sports fan in these days. There’s not even any comedic value in it.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I feel like the golden age of professional sports in Houston has been thrust up my butt and returned to crap. Between the 2017 WS trophy turned to rubble and the Texans naming O’Brien lord emperor, my God this is a depressing city to be a sports fan in these days. There’s not even any comedic value in it.
The comedic value is that all the dumbasses here (most definitely including me) wait with baited breath to see what we do next. We as fans will still check in here religiously and argue the merits of one 6th round pick over another. Camp will kick off and some posters will start buzzing about some no name camp guy - is he the next Arian foster?

Then he'll get cut.

We'll still buy the merchandise. We'll still mortgage Sundays to watch. We'll still care...

And next year about this time having missed another superbowl, we'll again talk about how to improve.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
The comedic value is that all the dumbasses here (most definitely including me) wait with baited breath to see what we do next. We as fans will still check in here religiously and argue the merits of one 6th round pick over another. Camp will kick off and some posters will start buzzing about some no name camp guy - is he the next Arian foster?

Then he'll get cut.

We'll still buy the merchandise. We'll still mortgage Sundays to watch. We'll still care...

And next year about this time having missed another superbowl, we'll again talk about how to improve.
Agreed, that is the life for a large majority of NFL fans.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Depends on if you value DW4's health. Do you it think Conley was worth a 3rd?

And how well they draft. Plus unlike in the past use fa to their advantage.
Tunsil is needed, but he's no DB.
And the offensive line still ranks 20th by PFF and 22nd by FO (overall efficiency).

Same goes for Conley. A CB is not of great value to me if he misses too many tackles (like all of the Texans CBs did.)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tunsil is needed, but he's no DB.
And the offensive line still ranks 20th by PFF and 22nd by FO (overall efficiency).

Same goes for Conley. A CB is not of great value to me if he misses too many tackles (like all of the Texans CBs did.)
Tunsil is 25 yrs old and have up 3 sacks, one of which was on DW4. He should only get better as the rookies grow and the ol as a whole gains more continuity.

Disagree on Conley

banned1976

sleeper mode

Then he'll get cut.

For some, like myself apathy starts to set in. I don’t buy the merchandise anymore and I leave what merchandise I have in a closet. I sometimes wear baseball caps but the ones with the Texans logo on it stays at home because I really don’t want to talk about the Texans to strangers I meet while I’m out and about.

Another thing that’s changed is I don’t come here to discuss how the Texans can improve. We all know what they need to do but we all know it doesn’t matter what we think.

I’m just tired of it all.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Tunsil is 25 yrs old and have up 3 sacks, one of which was on DW4. He should only get better as the rookies grow and the ol as a whole gains more continuity.

Disagree on Conley

Disagree on Conley
Maybe, maybe not.
OK

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can barely juggle and my impersonations suck, but I'm pretty good at finding cynical things to stab with my pointy-ended sarcasm sword. . .

TexansOneQuarter.jpg

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

Then he'll get cut.

Our Fighting Houston Roughnecks are 2-0!! HOO RAH!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wish we could read posts that mods delete.

That was an honest question and is basically the same thing as the post above.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Brian Spurlock-USA Today
The Houston Texans embark on uncharted territory entering the 2020 NFL Combine with head coach Bill O'Brien running the football direction and vision. O'Brien was named the general manager of the Texans in late January giving him complete control of the team.
Every move for the Texans officially has O'Brien's seal of approval with no one standing in his way to makes moves he sees fit. O'Brien, as the general manager, got off to a solid start last season when the team moved on from Brian Gaine trading for multiple players in an attempt to improve the 53-man roster.

Uncle Rico

Brian Spurlock-USA Today
The Houston Texans embark on uncharted territory entering the 2020 NFL Combine with head coach Bill O'Brien running the football direction and vision. O'Brien was named the general manager of the Texans in late January giving him complete control of the team.
Every move for the Texans officially has O'Brien's seal of approval with no one standing in his way to makes moves he sees fit. O'Brien, as the general manager, got off to a solid start last season when the team moved on from Brian Gaine trading for multiple players in an attempt to improve the 53-man roster.
One or two tight ends? You know he cant help himself .. been looking for the next "Gronk" since he got here. -------------> :kitten: (for the die hards).

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
being serious this whole offseason should be devoted to the defense. All of it.
The offense sucked too though.

Hyde looks like he'll be gone. Watson and Tunsil haven't agreed to extensions. We have no good corners signed.

And we are severely restricted on picks and capspace to upgrade the roster

Texansballer74

The Marine

Hyde looks like he'll be gone. Watson and Tunsil haven't agreed to extensions. We have no good corners signed.

I wonder have they had any contract extension talk with Watson and Tunsil. Or are they waiting until they’re finished with the front office shake ups. But if they did, I wonder what those offers were.

Uncle Rico

You're right, but the offensive side of the ball is set with talent. Its just semantics in getting contracts nailed down. Defensively this team sucks way worse - devoid of talent and depth.

Uncle Rico

Fairbairn the 3rd highest paid kicker in the NFL????? Wow. It would be nice if that type of money was going to a guy who could hit a 50 yard field goal. SMH.

Throwing money at Fells when you have TWO 3rd round TEs on the roster?? Okay.

But there is no money for DJ Reader?? Sad.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Fairbairn the 3rd highest paid kicker in the NFL????? Wow. It would be nice if that type of money was going to a guy who could hit a 50 yard field goal. SMH.

Throwing money at Fells when you have TWO 3rd round TEs on the roster?? Okay.

But there is no money for DJ Reader?? Sad.
I like Fairbairn, I'm convinced his early season struggles was due to the new holder... but 4.4 mil/year, 9 mil gtd? The guaranteed money is a tad more than I would have liked.

I'm ok with the Fells signing because Akins & Thomas can't block, and we don't know what we'll get out of Warring. I don't see Thomas making the team next season.

banned1976

sleeper mode
GM O'Brien will now have the following for his first draft:

Texans 2020 Draft Selections
2nd-57th overall
3rd-90th overall
4th-108th overall (via Miami)
4th-128th overall
5th-171st overall
7th-240th overall
7th-248th overall
7th-250th overall
Going to have to spend big in FA on the defense.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
What!?!?!? Get suspended for just TWO games, because of something he did AFTER he left the Texans, hurts the Texans that much? That can't be, right?
The formula for the compensatory picks might be as complicated as the QB ratings. Anyone feel free to correct me, but since the picks are determined after the season, getting suspended for two games reduced his salary, starts and snap count to the 7th round.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The formula for the compensatory picks might be as complicated as the QB ratings. Anyone feel free to correct me, but since the picks are determined after the season, getting suspended for two games reduced his salary, starts and snap count to the 7th round.
Thanks for proving the comp system sucks.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I like Fairbairn, I'm convinced his early season struggles was due to the new holder... but 4.4 mil/year, 9 mil gtd? The guaranteed money is a tad more than I would have liked.

I'm ok with the Fells signing because Akins & Thomas can't block, and we don't know what we'll get out of Warring. I don't see Thomas making the team next season.
Fells was atrocious at blocking last year. Not particularly happy with him being re-signed.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Now Hyde is gone.

Lol.

We traded Rankin for him. Rankin getting regular snaps at KC and is still on a rookie deal

Great job!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So we’ve got Martin, 3rd highest paid center at the time, Fairbairn, top 5 highest paid kicker, and Mercilus, top 10 highest paid OLB?

Uncle Rico

How has your relationship with QB Deshaun Watson grown over time?

"Deshaun and I, I'll let him speak for his side of it, but I love the guy. He's an excellent football player, but he's an even better person. He cares about his teammates, he cares about being as good of a player and a teammate as he can be every single day, he tries to get better every day. He's a very smart player. He's gotten better and better, he's improved every single year, and we obviously feel very good about and very fortunate to have him on our football team. I think having that position, as we all know, is very important and we feel like we have an excellent player there."

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So we’ve got Martin, 3rd highest paid center at the time, Fairbairn, top 5 highest paid kicker, and Mercilus, top 10 highest paid OLB?
Martin only thing I can think of is they want to keep the line as intact as possible even if the player could be better. Mercilus right now was an overpay but there was flashes there. Lets hope he lives up to the money we gave him.

As far as Fairbairn I actually agree with that signing. He has been pretty solid while with the Texans and a long term solution at kicker is never a bad thing with how up and down our offense is. It wasn't that long ago that he had the most points scored by a player in the entire LEAGUE. Even his issues last year you can make a good case that it was because of a new holder because later on in the season they seemed to iron it out and he was making some key kicks.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Fells was atrocious at blocking last year. Not particularly happy with him being re-signed.
Agree with you. During the season, I heard an interview with Fells were he mentioned he worked with an OL coach to improve his blocking. I was expecting an above average inline blocker. Although I was pleasantly surprise with the TDs and red zone catches, his blocking was barely better than the other TEs.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Agree with you. During the season, I heard an interview with Fells were he mentioned he worked with an OL coach to improve his blocking. I was expecting an above average inline blocker. Although I was pleasantly surprise with the TDs and red zone catches, his blocking was barely better than the other TEs.
Red zone TDs are like turnover differentials. Up one year, down the next.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Which is weird since blocking was supposed to be a strength of his when he signed with the Texans.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
He probably didn't watch Rankin play in college or saw how he played in a backup role with the Chiefs.

What he most likely did was read a stat sheet.
There were many happy when Rankin was selected... not Kdog