Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So..OB is the new official GM..

76Texan

Hall of Fame
My sentiments exactly.

Honestly I cant complain about OB the GM - he's done fairly well in talent acquisition , the team was markedly better from training camp to the end of the season - even if it did cost him draft picks.

OB the Head Coach and OC we can complain about ….

Best thing OB could do as GM is fire both the HC and OC.

I said somewhere else that 2-14 might be the best thing that could happen to this franchise because ownership just doesn't comprehend anything else being unsatisfactory / worthy of change.

When 51-7 gets you a promotion , somethings wrong.
Markedly better in the losses to the Ravens, Broncos, and Chiefs?

76Texan

Hall of Fame

76Texan

Hall of Fame

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Another guy from San Diego thinks it's a total ineptitude (by Cal McNair, I presume).
And that O'Brien doesn't even derserve to be a HC, let alone having the added GM title.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Skip & Shannon think it's a bad deal for DW4.
They also think that DW4 can be as succesful as Mahomes under Reid (just in different way - just as my thinking was.)

This just shows we’re not the only ones thinking like that.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
While this is entirely true, I've actually come to admire his ability pull off a barefaced coup. Any central African warlord would be proud.
He pretty much has pulled off a coup of the Texans organization at this point. Got Rick Smith out of here, then got Gaine hired. Then got Gaine fired. Then got the Texans to go after a guy that they really couldn't sign and got them tied up into a legal mess with the league, and ends up having to take over the GM position by default. He mortgages a ton of draft capital, and then ends up as the full time GM and controller of the plastic empire.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
He pretty much has pulled off a coup of the Texans organization at this point. Got Rick Smith out of here, then got Gaine hired. Then got Gaine fired. Then got the Texans to go after a guy that they really couldn't sign and got them tied up into a legal mess with the league, and ends up having to take over the GM position by default. He mortgages a ton of draft capital, and then ends up as the full time GM and controller of the plastic empire.
Give the guy credit... to pull that off, you have to be the smartest guy in the league!

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Found this tidbit to be very interesting...

O’Brien isn’t an aberration as a powerful NFL coach. Being a head coach and also having control of personnel goes back to the days of Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, George Halas, Don Shula, Bill Walsh and Tom Flores along with the modern era of Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan.

There are multiple NFL teams where the coach has considerable sway over all roster decisions while not holding the formal general manager title, including Kansas City’s Andy Reid. Chiefs general manager Brett Veach is highly regarded and works closely with Reid, but Reid is in charge.

Last edited:

O’Brien isn’t an aberration as a powerful NFL coach. Being a head coach and also having control of personnel goes back to the days of Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, George Halas, Don Shula, Bill Walsh and Tom Flores along with the modern era of Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan.

There are multiple NFL teams where the coach has considerable sway over all roster decisions while not holding the formal general manager title, including Kansas City’s Andy Reid. Chiefs general manager Brett Veach is highly regarded and works closely with Reid, but Reid is in charge.
Look at those names and look at O'Brien. Now after taking a deep sigh, the issue is not that O'Brien has all the power but how in the f*** did O'Brien get all this power (justification). :crazy:

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I haven't seen writers or fans state what this change really says: O'Brien has successfully convinced Cal that Rick Smith and Brian Gaine are the real causes of past and current failings.

There's some truth to that, but Rick Smith wasn't calling run-up-the-middle three plays in a row on Buffalo or a fake punt on his own 35.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
I sure hope the Texans GM watches the superbowl and decides to force his head coach to change his offense to one more like what he sees today.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I haven't seen writers or fans state what this change really says: O'Brien has successfully convinced Cal that Rick Smith and Brian Gaine are the real causes of past and current failings.
You'd have to assume Cal perceives the same failure you & I see.

From the moves made, I would say Cal believes the failure is not about what happened on the field, but the lack of support for the vision of this team.

I don't know if that's Cal's vision or O'brien's. For now I'm going to assume BO'b has consistently been able to regurgitate Cal's vision.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
All I can say..... IF OB ever pulls it off...

This all reads like an Ernest Goes To NFL movie script.

Where Ernest blunders and buffoons his way to a Super Bowl win after gaining absolute control of the team due to a series of unfortunate failures.

The difference is, Ernest was loveable.... know what I mean Vern?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
This San Diego writer thinks it's crazy that O'Brien was named GM.
He said he and MANY others thought O'Brien should have been fired instead.

We are swamped by a Twilight Zone type acceptance of facts appropriate for the current climate among any and all positions in our society. It has become En Vogue to propagate lies and misinformation if it suits your stance on a matter and the same tropes are not even embarrassed when they get found out.

You can literally present them with tangible, factual data that discredits them, and could educate them further on an opinion, but instead they hard line to the point of ridiculous logic. some people really think this team is viewed as some kind of strong hierarchical franchise, that it is moving in the right direction, and would argue that OBrien is the "best we can get" but those same people argue about where they are in life and are unwilling to take the steps necessary to make it better.

I saw your other post about step by step how there was just a flat out wrong take, and it gets twisted, deflected and ignored as if it isnt true! Its crazy man, the place is devolving and a certain viewpoint is being accepted as dogma. Might be time to go rub elbows with the 4Chan and Reddit dudes. Eeek!

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
You'd have to assume Cal perceives the same failure you & I see.

From the moves made, I would say Cal believes the failure is not about what happened on the field, but the lack of support for the vision of this team.

I don't know if that's Cal's vision or O'brien's. For now I'm going to assume BO'b has consistently been able to regurgitate Cal's vision.
After thinking about it some more, I suspect O'Brien is on the hot seat. Giving him GM responsibilities means no more excuses. If we get mediocrity next season, Cal would be well positioned to clean house for a new GM and coach. Right now, he won't let O'Brien recommend a GM because he doesn't want to repeat his father's mistake of Kubiak and Rick Smith.

This makes more sense than the scenario of O'Brien having influence over Cal. These rich guys have egos. Cal isn't going to allow the perception of an O'Brien junta dictatorship to go on indefinitely without winning championships. That's why only Belichick gets away with it.

Last edited:

Texaninlild

Veteran
Am I the only one who likes BoB the GM?
I would fire BoB the coach, but I like the aggressive moves by the GM.
I captured acquisitions of players after the Gaine departure. Some of these worked and some did not, but the DB list had much to do with just having bodies. By the end of the year I thought the CB’s were above average.
I give thumbs up to the trades that netted Duke, Hyde, Tunsil, Mingo, and Martin given the market and timing of those moves.

Offense:
RB
• Duke Johnson
• Carlos Hyde
WR
• Kenny Stills
OL
• Laremy Tunsil
• Dan Skipper
• Chris Clark
TE
• Logan Paulsen
QB
• Jordan Ta'amu

Defense:
LB
• Barkevious Mingo
• Jacob Martin
• Gimel President
DB
• Keion Crossen
• Gareon Conley
• Vernon Hargraves III
• Mike Adams
• Phillip Gaines
• Cornell Armstrong
• A.J. Hendy
DL
• Joel Heath
• Tracy Sprinkle

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I captured acquisitions of players after the Gaine departure. Some of these worked and some did not, but the DB list had much to do with just having bodies. By the end of the year I thought the CB’s were above average.
I give thumbs up to the trades that netted Duke, Hyde, Tunsil, Mingo, and Martin given the market and timing of those moves.

Offense:
RB
• Duke Johnson
• Carlos Hyde
WR
• Kenny Stills
OL
• Laremy Tunsil
• Dan Skipper
• Chris Clark
TE
• Logan Paulsen
QB
• Jordan Ta'amu

Defense:
LB
• Barkevious Mingo
• Jacob Martin
• Gimel President
DB
• Keion Crossen
• Gareon Conley
• Vernon Hargraves III
• Mike Adams
• Phillip Gaines
• Cornell Armstrong
• A.J. Hendy
DL
• Joel Heath
• Tracy Sprinkle
No I liked the moves overall he made as the GM, hell I'm hoping he likes the GM job more than the HC job and decides to hire a new coach. It won't happen but I can hope. Overall though in the short term the moves were good, long term we'll see but many of the biggest issues were fixed or at least patched well enough that we can look at other things. Our secondary was pretty much as bad last year as it was this year but we didn't notice because we were to busy watching our star QB get his face pushed in. This year that wasn't near the concern so we could start seeing the other problems on the team.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I actually found this part interesting.

“I think very highly of Bill,” said Bill Polian, a six-time NFL Executive of the Year and retired former Indianapolis, Buffalo and Carolina general manager. “There aren’t a lot of people who would be capable of doing the two jobs as coach and general manager, but he’s certainly one of them. He’s been a head coach at a major school in Penn State where he had a CEO type of role in addition to coaching.

I don't know if I agree with him but I'll listen when someone who made a very, very successful career out of it chimes in with their thoughts.. Helps that he has no actual skin in the game so no reason to brown nose.

banned1976

sleeper mode

Offense:
RB
• Duke Johnson
• Carlos Hyde
WR
• Kenny Stills
OL
• Laremy Tunsil
• Dan Skipper
• Chris Clark
TE
• Logan Paulsen
QB
• Jordan Ta'amu

Defense:
LB
• Barkevious Mingo
• Jacob Martin
• Gimel President
DB
• Keion Crossen
• Gareon Conley
• Vernon Hargraves III
• Mike Adams
• Phillip Gaines
• Cornell Armstrong
• A.J. Hendy
DL
• Joel Heath
• Tracy Sprinkle
When the bills are due from all that shopping is when I think BoB the GM can be properly assessed. If a SB victory comes with the expense of it all, I won’t complain. If it doesn’t and in 2 or 3 years the Texans are a laughing stock because of OB’s spending spree, the narrative changes.

Right now I feel like the Texans will fall short and we’ll be seeing a real rebuild, with a new coaching staff and new players in a few short years.

Texansballer74

The Marine
We are swamped by a Twilight Zone type acceptance of facts appropriate for the current climate among any and all positions in our society. It has become En Vogue to propagate lies and misinformation if it suits your stance on a matter and the same tropes are not even embarrassed when they get found out.

You can literally present them with tangible, factual data that discredits them, and could educate them further on an opinion, but instead they hard line to the point of ridiculous logic. some people really think this team is viewed as some kind of strong hierarchical franchise, that it is moving in the right direction, and would argue that OBrien is the "best we can get" but those same people argue about where they are in life and are unwilling to take the steps necessary to make it better.

I saw your other post about step by step how there was just a flat out wrong take, and it gets twisted, deflected and ignored as if it isnt true! Its crazy man, the place is devolving and a certain viewpoint is being accepted as dogma. Might be time to go rub elbows with the 4Chan and Reddit dudes. Eeek!
Imo I believe Cal McNair was being lazy. He didn’t want to go through the process of interviewing quality candidates or trying to find a perfect match for Bill O’Brien. The only possible match won’t be available until after the draft. So here we go again with yet another hasty decision from the top. When will they learn these types of decisions doesn’t normally pan out. We’ve been bit on the backside more than once.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Key point: Brett Veach is highly regarded.

We have meme generator Jack Easterby in that role. Not to mention some Penn State student at OC

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Offense:
RB
• Duke Johnson
• Carlos Hyde
WR
• Kenny Stills
OL
• Laremy Tunsil
• Dan Skipper
• Chris Clark
TE
• Logan Paulsen
QB
• Jordan Ta'amu

Defense:
LB
• Barkevious Mingo
• Jacob Martin
• Gimel President
DB
• Keion Crossen
• Gareon Conley
• Vernon Hargraves III
• Mike Adams
• Phillip Gaines
• Cornell Armstrong
• A.J. Hendy
DL
• Joel Heath
• Tracy Sprinkle
So what did he give up to build this mountain of mostly average players?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Offense:
RB
• Duke Johnson
• Carlos Hyde
WR
• Kenny Stills
OL
• Laremy Tunsil
• Dan Skipper
• Chris Clark
TE
• Logan Paulsen
QB
• Jordan Ta'amu

Defense:
LB
• Barkevious Mingo
• Jacob Martin
• Gimel President
DB
• Keion Crossen
• Gareon Conley
• Vernon Hargraves III
• Mike Adams
• Phillip Gaines
• Cornell Armstrong
• A.J. Hendy
Duke Johnson - BACKUP RB you gave away a 3rd for.

Carlos Hyde - good pickup

Kenny Stills - WR3 you gave up a 2nd for.

Laremy Tunsil - yes, needed, but had to give an extra 1st for that.

Mingo and Martin - for JD and $7M

Conley - looks to be a decent pickup. Was that a 3rd? Don’t remember.

All the rest are pretty much filler and some of those names you mentioned didn’t even make the cut out of camp.

Oh, and let’s not forget the Mercilus extension.

Being aggressive is one thing. Getting your ass handed to you with regards to value is another. You can’t give away 3rd round picks for backup RBs. This isn’t fantasy football.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Imo I believe Cal McNair was being lazy. He didn’t want to go through the process of interviewing quality candidates or trying to find a perfect match for Bill O’Brien. The only possible match won’t be available until after the draft. So here we go again with yet another hasty decision from the top. When will they learn these types of decisions doesn’t normally pan out. We’ve been bit on the backside more than once.
I know Cal’s dad fully bought into the idea of a Houston professional football team. I’m not sure about Cal but it’s starting to become clearer that his interest in the team is more financial than anything. And that’s the disconnect; I do believe Houstonian’s are passionate about the Texans. I don’t think the ownership is reciprocal in the relationship with the fans.

Some here would say, because fans don’t blindly hand money over to the team hand-over-fist, and/or fall in line with everything they do we don’t deserve an owner that cares about us. I could not disagree more.

But I don’t think it’s complete laziness from the ownership perspective; it’s indifference.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I dont think thats it at all. I genuinely think Cal McNair is a moron. He was always tugging at his daddies pant leg, and was never forced to become his own man. He's a beta pretending to be an alpha. He allowed OBrien to steal his daddies team right from under him all in the name of CREAM.

I think OBrien cornered Cal and bullied him into giving him complete control and Cal was too big of a :kitten: to fight back.

Systemic deficiencies are impossible for players to overcome. Hopefully OBrien just wants to play GM and give up the HC role, but Im not holding my breath.

Want a fun exercise? Think of all the football men in NFL history who have been given complete personnel control .. short list. Then ask yourself what the hell OBrien is doing being mentioned with those great men? LOL.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I dont think thats it at all. I genuinely think Cal McNair is a moron. He was always tugging at his daddies pant leg, and was never forced to become his own man. He's a beta pretending to be an alpha. He allowed OBrien to steal his daddies team right from under him all in the name of CREAM.

I think OBrien cornered Cal and bullied him into giving him complete control and Cal was too big of a :kitten: to fight back.

Systemic deficiencies are impossible for players to overcome. Hopefully OBrien just wants to play GM and give up the HC role, but Im not holding my breath.

Want a fun exercise? Think of all the football men in NFL history who have been given complete personnel control .. short list. Then ask yourself what the hell OBrien is doing being mentioned with those great men? LOL.
Even if all this is true, money still trumps all. Even a beta Cal McNair can duck into an office, lock the door and have security escort O'Brien of the property, followed by a press release to explain the sudden opening for a new HC, a new OC and a new GM. O'Brien may be a bully, but he doesn't have that kind of power.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Duke Johnson - BACKUP RB you gave away a 3rd for.

Carlos Hyde - good pickup

Kenny Stills - WR3 you gave up a 2nd for.

Laremy Tunsil - yes, needed, but had to give an extra 1st for that.

Mingo and Martin - for JD and $7M

Conley - looks to be a decent pickup. Was that a 3rd? Don’t remember.

All the rest are pretty much filler and some of those names you mentioned didn’t even make the cut out of camp.

Oh, and let’s not forget the Mercilus extension.

Being aggressive is one thing. Getting your ass handed to you with regards to value is another. You can’t give away 3rd round picks for backup RBs. This isn’t fantasy football.
Duke- they needed another RB/3rd down RB and traded a 3rd for one of the best in the NFL.

Stills and a high 4th for what should be a low 2nd.

Tunsil- Paid the price for neglect of the OL for yrs.

Clowney- been discussed as nauseum

Hyde- good pickup

Conley- good pickup for a 3rd

Martin/Mercilus signings- Dont like