Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I was working off Sportrac. OTC is the better site, thanks. If Miami traded Tua and Howard their dead cap would be $14.7MM and $4.2MM respectively. That's $18.9MM dead cap $. Miami is currently $27MM under the cap.
Either site you seem to be including dead money which is correct but not adding cap savings to the total. As you say right now, Miami's cap space is $27 m which allows the trade. You have to add the cap saving of trading both players to that total after trade.

$27.1 m - $18.9 dead= $8.2 million cap + Howard's savings $9.3 = $17.5 total cap space after trade.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Watson staying for the 2021 season?
It appears Caserio is building team heavy on 1 year contracts. My thinking is that they are still trying to make Watson play this year. If he does and we ball out, we resign those 1 year deal players to extensions. If he doesn't, we let a majority of them walk next year and build young.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Either site you seem to be including dead money which is correct but not adding cap savings to the total. As you say right now, Miami's cap space is $27 m which allows the trade. You have to add the cap saving of trading both players to that total after trade.

$27.1 m - $18.9 dead= $8.2 million cap + Howard's savings $9.3 = $17.5 total cap space after trade.
Howard's $4.2MM includes the savings and Tua's $14.7 is inclusive of his savings.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Watson staying for the 2021 season?
It appears Caserio is building team heavy on 1 year contracts. My thinking is that they are still trying to make Watson play this year. If he does and we ball out, we resign those 1 year deal players to extensions. If he doesn't, we let a majority of them walk next year and build young.
I think Watson is going and the one year or so deals are just good business sense. Casserio is doing what many of us including me wanted. Like his players/ offers or not, he is moving quickly and decisively. Many of the veterans coming in could be place holders until drafted guys are ready. This is an off season--so far--supporting Cal McNair's statement team not in total rebuild. Your last sentence is on the mark if or not DW is here.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Reports are floating around that say he will waive it. The question is for what team or teams and has he told the Texans. I have not seen concrete proof he has straight up told our FO "I will waive the NTC to go to __________". Maybe behind the closed doors he has or maybe it's why he is still here. Afterall, he can't be traded until he informs the GM or Cal or probably Easterby.
Reports in January allege that he has approved three teams through his proxies: Jets, Dolphins, & Panthers.

fwiw: NFL News: Deshaun Watson Has at Least Three Teams on His List of Potential Trade Destinations

IF this is true, I consider it a chump move on Watson's part to use his NTC - provided by the franchise in good faith - as a weapon to dictate the terms of his demand without considering the repercussions and impact on the organization that made his Disney princess dreams come true just a few months ago.

I've really enjoyed Marcellus Wiley's takes on Speak For Yourself. They post highlights on YouTube, and he has been very logical and reasonable with his overall perception of the situation.

This guy gets it. He's basically saying what many of us have said when Watson's trade demand became public.

This quote nails it:

"An argument in Watson’s defense seems to be that post-extension developments changed the equation. I assume those developments are simply not public yet, because at this point, all I’ve seen involves management decisions and culture. That’s not nearly enough to justify a trade demand a few months after signing a multi-year extension."

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Reports in January allege that he has approved three teams through his proxies: Jets, Dolphins, & Panthers.

fwiw: NFL News: Deshaun Watson Has at Least Three Teams on His List of Potential Trade Destinations

IF this is true, I consider it a chump move on Watson's part to use his NTC - provided by the franchise in good faith - as a weapon to dictate the terms of his demand without considering the repercussions and impact on the organization that made his Disney princess dreams come true just a few months ago.

I've really enjoyed Marcellus Wiley's takes on Speak For Yourself. They post highlights on YouTube, and he has been very logical and reasonable with his overall perception of the situation.

This guy gets it. He's basically saying what many of us have said when Watson's trade demand became public.

This quote nails it:

"An argument in Watson’s defense seems to be that post-extension developments changed the equation. I assume those developments are simply not public yet, because at this point, all I’ve seen involves management decisions and culture. That’s not nearly enough to justify a trade demand a few months after signing a multi-year extension."
I agree with most of the video. It's 2 sided but it is very important to note that Watson is playing a game with his contact. The NTC is being used to get his way. However, the Texans are using the current contact to say "You signed it, for better or worse. Even if you got hurt we are supporting you. So, under the circumstances we don't have to honor our part if you want to leave seeing YOU are not honoring what you signed." I still think that he will be traded, however I am not sure if he will be going to a team he is drooling over. He may have to settle for who the Texans are most likely to be interested in the offer from. Watson will waive that NTC because he will have to if he wants to play football. Even if it is a team he is not wanting to be on as much as the Jets, Dolphins or Panthers. He could end up a Bear...

banned1976

sleeper mode
This quote nails it:

He also wrote:

"Look, Watson’s handling of this doesn’t make him a bad guy, or someone not still worth rooting for."

That's where I'm at in all this. If Watson stays, I'm going to root for him as hard as I ever have.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
He also wrote:

"Look, Watson’s handling of this doesn’t make him a bad guy, or someone not still worth rooting for."

That's where I'm at in all this. If Watson stays, I'm going to root for him as hard as I ever have.
If Watson stays, I'm still rooting for the Texans and for Watson to succeed as well. However it won't change my opinion of Watson being an asshole about all this. It's like having OB back, I can't stand him but I do want the Texans to win.

My opinion of Watson has turned negative, but I say that about him as a person, not him as a football player. As a football player he's obviously very good. Watson and the Texans both have handled all this horribly.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I agree with most of the video. It's 2 sided but it is very important to note that Watson is playing a game with his contact. The NTC is being used to get his way. However, the Texans are using the current contact to say "You signed it, for better or worse. Even if you got hurt we are supporting you. So, under the circumstances we don't have to honor our part if you want to leave seeing YOU are not honoring what you signed." I still think that he will be traded, however I am not sure if he will be going to a team he is drooling over. He may have to settle for who the Texans are most likely to be interested in the offer from. Watson will waive that NTC because he will have to if he wants to play football. Even if it is a team he is not wanting to be on as much as the Jets, Dolphins or Panthers. He could end up a Bear...
Bears not waiting.....word is Andy Dalton is on his way at 10M for the season.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
If Watson stays, I'm still rooting for the Texans and for Watson to succeed as well. However it won't change my opinion of Watson being an asshole about all this. It's like having OB back, I can't stand him but I do want the Texans to win.

My opinion of Watson has turned negative, but I say that about him as a person, not him as a football player. As a football player he's obviously very good. Watson and the Texans both have handled all this horribly.
I'm just not emotionally invested enough in the Texans to be angry at Watson forever. I guess that's what it is. I don't know any of the players personally. I wasn't around enough to really become attached to the team early on. I hold zero loyalty to the owners. And yet, if they trade Watson I know it's not going to cause even a ripple in my life.

So, I'm looking at this situation from the eyes of a pretty non-biased, unemotional observer. If Mahomes wanted out of Kansas City, and there were fans of that team saying "good riddance, lets get a boat load of picks and start all over" I would be looking at that situation the same exact way. And if I were rival fans of the Chiefs I'd be the devil on the shoulders of Andy Reid and Brett Veach saying "do it". And then I'd laugh like hell if and when they did it.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This just in Bobby Lashley now stating that he was promised a dream match with Brock Lesnar ... stay tuned for further news breaking information.

Whoops! Wrong thread

OptimisticTexan

There was a report given that the Bears offered (3) RD1, (1) RD3, and (2) Starters for Russell Wilson.

This could be a baseline for a potential Watson trade. I think the Texans could hold tight for a package that includes (4) RD1, (1) RD2, and (1) Starter. This would be a package that the Jets (Williams) or Dolphins (Tua) could cover. (4) RD1, (2) RD2, and (1) Starter since all other teams would have to spread the RD1 picks from 2021-2024.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He also wrote:

Yep. We all root for laundry. Dude wears our laundry, he's our guy and we'll support him. Wearing the other city's laundry? SCREW THAT GUY!! lol :redtowel:

None of this stuff is personal or emotional for me. It's all just business, and ultimately only entertainment.

OptimisticTexan

Are the Saints moving towards throwing their hat into the Watson sweepstakes? Going to be 100M+ under the cap come 2022 which means they can swing Watson financially since his new money doesn't start until 2022.

OptimisticTexan

True if you think he's a generational QB.

If you dont you move him.

I would move him to a team that thinks he's a generational prospect. Gotta get over on somebody.
If Watson lands with the Dolphins, Panthers, or Saints via trade.....yes, his ability to show his generational talent will have a much better chance to flourish than the 4 years he spent here in Houston.

If Watson goes to the Jets or remains with the Texans.....his ability to showcase what he's capable of will be a much, much bigger challenge simply b/c neither team can properly support him for the next 2 seasons.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Watson lands with the Dolphins, Panthers, or Saints via trade.....yes, his ability to show his generational talent will have a much better chance to flourish than the 4 years he spent here in Houston.

If Watson goes to the Jets or remains with the Texans.....his ability to showcase what he's capable of will be a much, much bigger challenge simply b/c neither team can properly support him for the next 2 seasons.
Hopefully those teams think like you do.

OptimisticTexan

I could definitely see Watson winning a SB soon at NO.
Sean Peyton is a top tier coach and they have good position coaches, team and culture there.
I'd be curious as to what type of package the Saints could put together in an attempt to land Watson. If they did land Watson....would be interesting to see them sign William Fuller on the cheap and pair him with Michael Thomas.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I could definitely see Watson winning a SB soon at NO.
Sean Peyton is a top tier coach and they have good position coaches, team and culture there.
Not gonna happen, they will have to give up too much talent to get DW4. Plus if Peyton could only win 1 SB in 15 yrs with a 1st ballot HOF'er in Brees, what makes you think he could do better with DW4?

God people around here have high opinions of DW4. He's like magic fairy dust or maybe in this case magic lotion.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Not gonna happen, they will have to give up too much talent to get DW4. Plus if Peyton could only win 1 SB in 15 yrs with a 1st ballot HOF'er in Brees, what makes you think he could do better with DW4?

God people around here have high opinions of DW4. He's like magic fairy dust or maybe in this case magic lotion.
You would be lucky to get a ham sandwich for Watson now.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'd be curious as to what type of package the Saints could put together in an attempt to land Watson. If they did land Watson....would be interesting to see them sign William Fuller on the cheap and pair him with Michael Thomas.
They would have to give up Kamara and their best defensive lineman. Lol Sean will say pass in a heartbeat

Texansballer74

The Marine

His talent is darn good that’s why people have high opinions of his football capabilities.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I think he would really blossom under Peyton.
Plus he did put up some impressive numbers last season despite being on a crappy team.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Provided he doesn't have criminal charges brought against him there will be a market. Not the NYJ or most likely Miami.

I think the market will consist of Philly/San Fran/Redskins/Chicago/Pats.
I could see CHI, NE or PHILLY. And that’s if he can get out of this by just settling out of court and he has NDA’s.
But that’s a lot to ask right now.
Also, he will probably still be suspended by the league.
And after this, there is no way ownership is ever allowing him to play for HOU again. In essence, if what I said plays out, he is traded.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Where are you getting this HOF stuff from. Nobody said any such thing. Look we all know how you’ve always felt about Watson. So there’s no need for you to continue to cut the kid deep. Again on the field he’s darn good.
Saying he can only hope to have the career Brees had isn't a slight on DW4. You should checkout Brees stats if you like that kind of thing.

It might be an unpopular opinion but Peyton didn't win as many championships as he should've with Brees.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Saying he can only hope to have the career Brees had isn't a slight on DW4. You should checkout Brees stats if you like that kind of thing.

It might be an unpopular opinion but Peyton didn't win as many championships as he should've with Brees.
I still don’t know what you’re talking about. Why because nobody said he will be a HOF player. What I did read was with his talent Coach Sean Peyton could win a SB with him. Especially with the team he has today.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame

You make it sounds like winning championships with HOF QB is a given. How many haven't won even one? You need a tremendous amount of luck, even if you have a great roster, to win a championship. The PI non-call vs the Rams alone may have cost them one. I'm sure there were more breaks the went the other way. There is almost never enough chances in football for everything left to chance to even out over time. If you get a sh!tty break vs an otherwise equal opponent, it often costs you the game.