Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cal is such a cat's meow. Bottom line is DW4 gave his input and Cal rejected that input. Very simple.

You think his dad would have done this?
How about the search firm gave recommendations, then he and easterbunny jumped on the plane and brought Caserio back. Every other gm interview, the candidate came in on their own flight vs the owners flight.

How about the search firm gave recommendations, then he and easterbunny jumped on the plane and brought Caserio back. Every other gm interview, the candidate came in on their own flight vs the owners flight.

Cal as an owner has the right hire who he wants to hire and it's not like Cal hadn't been chasing Caserio for 18 months. So Easterby probably had little to do with the Caserio hire other than provide Cal access and give Caserio a reason to want to come to Kirby to work with his friend. (Easterby)

Houston Texans reportedly refusing to listen to Deshaun Watson trade offers

They may want everyone to think they're not interested......but you, I, and everyone in football knows they're looking at the offers and weighing what their counter offer(s) should be. If not, then they're all in Cal's office just taking turns talking into the back of his desk fan while this ship slowly sinks. A side note, they're all aware that the action figures on his desk are for Cal's hands only.

Last edited:
So he can pull a stunt like D Brown did and sit out the year and then return for the final 6 games and accrue a season?

Not that easy.

He can sit out camp & preseason but its going to cost him a heck of a lot of money.

He can sit out part of the season but that's gonna cost him money too and then there's the teams ability to suspend him for 6 games per incident.
To accrue a season you have to play a minimum of 6 games.

Essentially he can not accrue a season if the team suspends him twice for 6 games each and I'm fairly certain that Caserio would do just that if Watson showed up late to camp or farted in practice (conduct detrimental to the team) after the first suspension ended ....

The kicker here is that his contract has language in it that would void all guaranteed money. He could still earn the money on the contract IF he plays .... But if he gets injured , he's screwed himself because the team can cut him and that money is lost without the guarantee.

His agent is really playing with fire here. The odds that a guy like Watson suffers a career ending injury are fairly high ....

Good .... I don't want him traded.

From the article:
Watson became increasingly frustrated over the team’s hiring process of general manager Nick Caserio. Texans’ owner Cal McNair reportedly promised the franchise star that he would have some say in what candidates were interviewed for GM and head coach. Instead, McNair and executive Jack Easterby rejected his suggestions, a search firm’s advice and hired Caserio away from the New England Patriots.

This is the silliness that plays against DW4 if his reasoning is based on the idea above. If he lacks the understanding of giving input vs making the choice (which is implied since he supposedly is upset at those selected) that's his fault. I truly believe it has nothing to do with the process, if the Texans would have chosen whom he would have liked there would be no issue. This fiasco concerning DW4, IMO, is him looking at this past season and feeling the team can't improve based on his views. He can't come out and say that's why he wants to leave because NFL teams (management) will look at him as being "me" first.

My brain goes overdrive when i try to sleep :

3 team trade

Jets get Watson

Miami gets 1.2 for their QB + Roby + Greenard

Texans get 1.3 (M) +1.18 (M)+1.23 (J) +2.34(J) +2.35(M) + 2022 round 1(J) + Quennin Williams (J) + Xavien Howard (M).
I am hearing that Houston is open to trading Roby. That would leave them without a starting cornerback in my opinion. If they do a trade there has to be a high pick involved to get a corner or part of a trade like Howard.

If that deal can be made, let the Jets trade Darnold to Denver. Then, the Jets can flip the receivers to Houston in the Watson trade.

BTW, no way would Denver make that ridiculous trade.
It’s actually very feasible. Both players are coming off torn ACL’s and DEN wouldn’t have the coin to sign Sutton, Darnold and Simmons.
Also, HOU would ask for Darnold in the trade. NYJ would be more than accommodating.

Cal as an owner has the right hire who he wants to hire and it's not like Cal hadn't been chasing Caserio for 18 months. So Easterby probably had little to do with the Caserio hire other than provide Cal access and give Caserio a reason to want to come to Kirby to work with his friend. (Easterby)
I have no problem with an owner hiring whom they choose. The issue is the most destructive force in the organization you keep and give more power to. Then he aides his friend in getting the job which guarantees himself a job. You can't see that? Why hire any search firm when you could've just interviewed a couple of dudes for show, then hire your guy?

Then he aides his friend in getting the job which guarantees himself a job. You can't see that?
No. I don't see that at all.

Cal says somethings & we want to believe him. Or we use it to support our delusions. He says some other things & we act like he never said it.

Personally I don't think we can trust Cal when his lips are moving. Like if he says he's going to lean on an ad-hoc committee to help make the GM hire, then one of the people named says, "I'm not on any committee." & another says, "I was never asked for my opinion."

So when he says, "the next GM will decide what role Jack has, if any, in this organization." I take that to mean nothing of the sort.

So I don't think Omar Kahn would have had the power to fire Jack Easterby. I don't think Louis Riddick would have had the power to fire Jack.

We don't want to believe it. We take comfort thinking once Easterby is gone things will go back to normal.

But this is the new normal. This is Cal.

I have no problem with an owner hiring whom they choose. The issue is the most destructive force in the organization you keep and give more power to. Then he aides his friend in getting the job which guarantees himself a job. You can't see that? Why hire any search firm when you could've just interviewed a couple of dudes for show, then hire your guy?

Pure speculation with no proof to back it up. Let me present another theory, Easterby is hired to try and lure Caserio away from NE the same reason OB is kept so long. It’s also why OB is made GM so they when they hire Caserio he can just step down because no one is going to take a temp GM job and they’d have to pay out a huge contract if they hire someone.

You hire the search and tell them “Caserio is my top candidate and I know everything I need to know about him but just to cover all bases go out and see if there is anybody that is head and shoulders above him.”

Everyone that talks about the search firm seems to ignore that all the candidates that they presented sucked except for one. Even the fact Caserio wasn’t on the list should be seen as proof that A: he was left off on purpose because Cal didn’t need to know anything else or B: Korn Ferry are really bad at their jobs in which case Cal was right to ignore them.

His dad was trying to hire Caserio before he died. Cal hired Easterby to try to lure Caserio here. (Worked and from what I've heard Easterby wont be here after this yr.) So Easterby in a way aided Caserio getting on Kirby but not in the way you think. IMHO

Caserio was the #1 GM choice all along (They had been chasing him for 18 or so months.) Cal hired the search firm to hedge his bets. But after talking with Dungy who told Cal to go with his gut, Cal turned back to his daddy's pick Caserio and this really shouldn't be surprising.

Pure speculation with no proof to back it up. Let me present another theory, Easterby is hired to try and lure Caserio away from NE the same reason OB is kept so long. It’s also why OB is made GM so they when they hire Caserio he can just step down because no one is going to take a temp GM job and they’d have to pay out a huge contract if they hire someone.

You hire the search and tell them “Caserio is my top candidate and I know everything I need to know about him but just to cover all bases go out and see if there is anybody that is head and shoulders above him.”

Everyone that talks about the search firm seems to ignore that all the candidates that they presented sucked except for one. Even the fact Caserio wasn’t on the list should be seen as proof that A: he was left off on purpose because Cal didn’t need to know anything else or B: Korn Ferry are really bad at their jobs in which case Cal was right to ignore them.

Spot On

This is the way the corporate world works.

Spot On

This is the way the corporate world works.
I own my own corporation, not nfl type, but 7 figures. If somehow my hr person hires a person that my best people distrust and is causing problems throughout, I'm going to investigate and probably fire that person. Back to Caserio, they didn't need the chaplain to secure Caserio

Why didn't the director of pro personnel become the temp gm?

I own my own corporation, not nfl type, but 7 figures. If somehow my hr person hires a person that my best people distrust and is causing problems throughout, I'm going to investigate and probably fire that person. Back to Caserio, they didn't need the chaplain to secure Caserio

If the person that was hired was carrying out your wishes, then you wouldn't talk to him and certainly not fire them.

This is something only Cal has the answer too.

Last edited:
If somehow my hr person hires a person that my best people distrust and is causing problems throughout, I'm going to investigate and probably fire that person.
Probably. Meaning there’s a possibility that you wouldn’t.

There is probably a good reason if you don’t. Would you share the details of that reason with the general public?

Cal has already come out twice saying there are misconceptions & misunderstandings in the things being attributed to Jack. He even said the blame is on him.

But we’re still stuck on Jack.

There is probably a good reason if you don’t. Would you share the details of that reason with the general public?

Cal has already come out twice saying there are misconceptions & misunderstandings in the things being attributed to Jack. He even said the blame is on him.

But we’re still stuck on Jack
And DW4 has acknowledged that Cal would need to fire himself (which ain't happening). I think the biggest issue with JE is his methods of carrying out Cal's directions. The whole qualifications for his role thing has no bearing because it is/was Cal's decision to put him wherever Cal wants him.

You're assuming that the people that don't like him and distrust him are Cal's best people. Clearly since most of them have been shown the door or allowed to leave Cal feels differently. As far as whether they did or did not need Easterby to hire Caserio consider this, teams for 10 years now have tried to get Caserio to leave NE and have failed. Texans did what they couldn't so clearly they did something right. As far as why the director didn't become the GM I have no clue and neither do you. Maybe they offered and he turned it down, maybe they didn't think he could handle the job, maybe Cal was trying to recreate the power structure in NE or maybe Easterby did suggest it. I have no idea and nether do you because neither of us are in those meetings.

Has nothing to do with the subject at hand, but do we know how the other new GMs were compensated this year?

The subject was how did the Texans land Caserio when other teams could not. Answer: By making him one of the highest paid GMs in the NFL. Aaron Wilson of the Chronic reported at the time a 6 year deal at nearly $6 million per year.

I don’t know the exact compensation for all GMs. They are not part of the salary cap and usually less than head coaches, between $2 - $3 million a year on average. It’s also been reported that Caserio was making around $2 million/year as 2nd banana to Belichick. So when he was making that kind of scratch without the title, it would take a larger offer to leave a Cush job at a championship franchise.

Enter Kyle and his fat....checkbook.

But we’re still stuck on Jack.
Sometimes Texans fans just have to have some fire hydrant to take a leak on...

I don't have a problem with Darnold if the Texans think they can win with him. It's similar to the David Johnson for Hopkins trade, but only kind of.

He'd be a reclamation project (kinda how some here see Watson) but not so bad as Goff, or David Johnson.

I'd count him as a mid 2nd. & see if Pep Hamilton can fix him.
Could we just get the mid second round and let somebody else have darnold?

Word that Dolphins definitely want to discuss trade of #4 is leaking. Jets OTOH seem to be leaking everything but..

Keeping Darnold to build around

Using 1.2 to get their QB

Trading down to #8 and taking Tre Lance.

In my opinion doing just what they should If they want Watson. Likewise Caserio is keeping his mouth shut saying no trade.
Maybe reading too much into silence but play Jets and Dolphins by letting Panthers put out how much they love and Want young Watson.

I am not Sherlock Holmes but I am trying to figure out the mystery.

I still prefer my 3 team trade and everybody gets what they want

Last edited:

Of course Cal/Kyle/Head-Goober has that right, but that does not make him infallible in any sort of way. As a matter-of-fact, it also allows him to surround himself with yes-men like Fat Elvis did at the end, which leads to the current naked emperor situation we are witnessing right now.

I believe Easterby was initially hired to help Cal get an inside to Caserio, which is why the tampering thing happened just a few months later. When that failed and embarrassed the Texans (or should have), Easterby then weaseled his way into the good graces of the McNair clan to the point of now being a seemingly permanent fixture.

That whole mentality of "Cal as an owner has the right hire who he wants to hire" is certainly true, but it has always been true (so it's a little Captain Obvious).

It's the way Bud Adams operated, and his history is the stuff of local legend by consistently hiring incompetent people at various times in the first couple of decades of his ownership. He was the blind squirrel when he hired Bum, because he immediately went back to hiring incapable people after he fired Bum.

And Cal is the same dummy that even mentioned to a player that they have ANY say in executive decisions. That alone earns him a Dunce Award, regardless of how it played out. It reeks of pandering incompetence as an owner. It was an utterly stupid thing to do.

Cal has the right to do what he wants. Cal also has the right to become the worst owner/CEO in the history of the NFL.

Of course Cal/Kyle/Head-Goober has that right, but that does not make him infallible in any sort of way. As a matter-of-fact, it also allows him to surround himself with yes-men like Fat Elvis did at the end, which leads to the current naked emperor situation we are witnessing right now.

I believe Easterby was initially hired to help Cal get an inside to Caserio, which is why the tampering thing happened just a few months later. When that failed and embarrassed the Texans (or should have), Easterby then weaseled his way into the good graces of the McNair clan to the point of now being a seemingly permanent fixture.

That whole mentality of "Cal as an owner has the right hire who he wants to hire" is certainly true, but it has always been true (so it's a little Captain Obvious).

It's the way Bud Adams operated, and his history is the stuff of local legend by consistently hiring incompetent people at various times in the first couple of decades of his ownership. He was the blind squirrel when he hired Bum, because he immediately went back to hiring incapable people after he fired Bum.

And Cal is the same dummy that even mentioned to a player that they have ANY say in executive decisions. That alone earns him a Dunce Award, regardless of how it played out. It reeks of pandering incompetence as an owner. It was an utterly stupid thing to do.

Now you know how I felt in the decade plus of the godfather.

Tua now...

I dont know if he's on something or just lifting weights like crazy but Tua looks alot bigger after just 6 weeks of offseason.

This has led to a fairly large portion of the Dolphins fanbase that wanted to trade for Watson to jump back onto Tuas hype train.

Attachments

• 20210224_162316.jpg
    20210224_162316.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 11
Tuas problem last season was arm strength mainly.... and the fact we lost our top 4 WRs for most of his starts.

Tua had very good accuracy but was very timid about taking risks with risky throws downfield. Which is why Fitz was brought in a couple times in relief. Fitz is willing to just chuck it up and see what happens, this is not Tuas game. Hes calculated and very good at using his eyes to fool safties downfield. The Dolphins WR just couldn't get open 90% of the time.

If Tua keeps adding muscle his arm strength should improve. I mean he did win 4 out of 5 games to start his career last season.

Tuas problem last season was arm strength mainly.... and the fact we lost our top 4 WRs for most of his starts.

Tua had very good accuracy but was very timid about taking risks with risky throws downfield. Which is why Fitz was brought in a couple times in relief. Fitz is willing to just chuck it up and see what happens, this is not Tuas game. Hes calculated and very good at using his eyes to fool safties downfield. The Dolphins WR just couldn't get open 90% of the time.

If Tua keeps adding muscle his arm strength should improve. I mean he did win 4 out of 5 games to start his career last season.

Not really helping your case seeing as nobody on the Texans can get open and even if they somehow do they have a better than average chance of dropping it.

Not really helping your case seeing as nobody on the Texans can get open and even if they somehow do they have a better than average chance of dropping it.
LOL Your 2020 WRs were Allstars compared to the Dolphins WRs. We had a guys named Mack Hollins and Isaiah Ford starting for us.

We lost:
Albert Wilson (16 games)
Alan Hurns (16 games)
Preston Williams (9 games)
Davante Parker was in and out all year with hamstring issues and looked like a lurch on the field.

I'd take Cooks and Fuller any day over Ford Hollins and Grant.

Cooks didn't get over 1,000 yds without being able to get open. Cobb has been known or being able to get open from the slot and even outside when he was with the Packers. He has gotten a case of the dropsies over the past couple of yrs. But nothing major IMHO.

LOL Your 2020 WRs were Allstars compared to the Dolphins WRs. We had a guys named Mack Hollins and Isaiah Ford starting for us.

We lost:
Albert Wilson (16 games)
Alan Hurns (16 games)
Preston Williams (9 games)
Davante Parker was in and out all year with hamstring issues and looked like a lurch on the field.

I'd take Cooks and Fuller any day over Ford Hollins and Grant.

I really like Grant, he reminds me of Tyreke Hill lite.

Do you have any information on his medical condition with his hip that we may not have seen? Also is it not a fact that his ability to pass was impacted his rookie season in the NFL by that same injury? Increased arm strength is good for any QB however I am hoping that his off season has benefited him.

Well if we have a Miami trade we would have the draft picks to bring in some extremely good wide receivers in fact possibly two of them from Alabama Devonta Smith and Waddell. 2 round two plus two round fours can bring us offensive line and a running back. I have one of those Round 4 bringing us Snowden for outside linebacker pass rush.
And that still leaves us a third round pick

Well if we have a Miami trade we would have the draft picks to bring in some extremely good wide receivers in fact possibly two of them from Alabama Devonta Smith and Waddell. 2 round two plus two round fours can bring us offensive line and a running back. I have one of those Round 4 bringing us Snowden for outside linebacker pass rush.
And that still leaves us a third round pick

Which is all well and good but that means we are hitching our wagon to Tua. I’m still of the mind set of if we do trade Watson and it’s not to the Jets then go heavy defense in the draft and worry about your QB later. Give the Oline a chance to see if a real coach can improve them as well. Most pieces on offense you can get pick up with later picks, WRs often fall to even the 20s and decent RBs can be found throughout the entire draft. You may not get a Hopkins or a McCaffrey but you’ll get players that can get the job done.

Which is all well and good but that means we are hitching our wagon to Tua. I’m still of the mind set of if we do trade Watson and it’s not to the Jets then go heavy defense in the draft and worry about your QB later. Give the Oline a chance to see if a real coach can improve them as well. Most pieces on offense you can get pick up with later picks, WRs often fall to even the 20s and decent RBs can be found throughout the entire draft. You may not get a Hopkins or a McCaffrey but you’ll get players that can get the job done.
Just to discuss not argue, if you can get an AJ and a DeAndre Hopkins In the first round why would you not? Why is hitching our wagon to Tua a Bad Thing? Even if at $2m he fails, we rise from maybe 1.3 in 2022 draft to 1.1? Shudder. And we still have AJ and Hop, lol. We get our franchise quarterback in 2022 with two great receivers beginning their second year how is that possibly bad? Also just to clarify if the Jets do not pick Zach Wilson with the second pick, I would as of today draft him with the third pick. As you say I can get a good running back in the fourth as I stated or perhaps around 5.

I am interested in whom you see as a wide receiver round two set come anywhere near the level of Devonta Smith and Jaylen waddle.

I think you would agree that evaluation of players is in the eyes of the beholder as is which side of the ball we need to draft or sign in free agency First. In my conversations on trades with the Jets and with the dolphins I have us receiving either quinnen Williams or cornerback Xavian Howard.

Caleb Farley and Patrick Surtain both corners are only round ones IMO that meet a priority need and if we get Howard and keep Roby neither are any longer priorities.

Back