Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
The more and more I read about Watson being disgruntled, the more and more I get the urge to see him traded. Anyone who has paid attention knows I love Watson the QB. I have defended him in numerous threads. I also think he is a bonafide top 5 QB in this league with massive potential to win it all with the right weapons.

That said, if he is truly hurt over his participation or lack thereof in the selection of a GM, then I cannot feel bad for him. If he think's the Houston franchise is insensitive where it pertains to social justice, I cannot agree with him.

If rumors are true and Miami is a likely trade partner, then I want to see it done.
Watson and Cunningham for 2021 1st (#3), 2021 2nd, 2022 1st and Tua'.

This teams needs draft choices and cap space. This trade alleviates those issues, and casts off a personnel issue.
What would you like to see happen?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That said, if he is truly hurt over his participation or lack thereof in the selection of a GM, then I cannot feel bad for him. If he think's the Houston franchise is insensitive where it pertains to social justice, I cannot agree with him.
Too many ifs at this point. I want to wait & hear or read words out of his mouth about the situation.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Gonna be hard for me to really go in depth with my comments without it getting all political up in here, but there's no way in hell I would trade him. From my understanding of what he is upset about....I feel and understand him and overall I may even agree with him.

But tough titty said the kitty. You aint got to like or agree with your employer. And if it’s about what I think it’s about, changing teams is not the answer.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Gonna be hard for me to really go in depth with my comments without it getting all political up in here, but there's no way in hell I would trade him. From my understanding of what he is upset about....I feel and understand him and overall I may even agree with him.

But tough titty said the kitty. You aint got to like or agree with your employer. And if it’s about what I think it’s about, changing teams is not the answer.
Yep, you dont have to like your employer. But he's still your employer.

PM me with why you think DW4's so unhappy. It's gotta be about more than not just hiring the HC of DW4's choosing.

The more and more I read about Watson being disgruntled, the more and more I get the urge to see him traded. Anyone who has paid attention knows I love Watson the QB. I have defended him in numerous threads. I also think he is a bonafide top 5 QB in this league with massive potential to win it all with the right weapons.

If rumors are true and Miami is a likely trade partner, then I want to see it done.
Watson and Cunningham for 2021 1st (#3), 2021 2nd, 2022 1st and Tua'.

This teams needs draft choices and cap space. This trade alleviates those issues, and casts off a personnel issue.
What would you like to see happen?
As far as I am concerned ALL PROBLEMS GET FIxED BY FIRING JACK EASTERBY.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Not no, but **** NO.

I would make Steel a happy man if that happens, I will resign as a Texans fan. That will be the last straw.

I watched them push Andre Johnson out, Arian Foster, DeAndre Hopkins, waste JJ's career and make stupid decision after stupid decision. If they throw away the franchise QB we have waited 20 years for I will be done.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this in another thread but just heard Chris Mortenson on the radio say that the he’s hearing that the Texans and Dolphins might be discussing a deal. Tua plus other compensation for DW. Apparently someone in the Texans organization is high on Tua.

What a joke if there is any substance to that.
I would rather keep DW4 but I am hearing these same stories.

banned1976

sleeper mode
From the PFF article: Watson’s displeasure with the organization hasn’t led to a trade request at this point, but Mortensen reports that he could “play hardball” about one if he desires. Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract and Mortensen reports that he would consider a trade sending him to the Dolphins.

The media today reminds me of a South Park episode.

Field reporter: There are reports that people have resorted to cannibalism.
TV Anchor: You've actually seen people eating one another.
Field reporter: No, we're just reporting it.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
From the PFF article: Watson’s displeasure with the organization hasn’t led to a trade request at this point, but Mortensen reports that he could “play hardball” about one if he desires. Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract and Mortensen reports that he would consider a trade sending him to the Dolphins.

Yeah. He "could" play hardball. Obviously Mort. There is nothing substantial in his article.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We had a healthy, very productive top 5 franchise QB this season and we were under the cap all season. Better coaching will help but even if Caserio turns out to be great and can increase cap space with wise maneuvers It is unclear what free agency this off season will be like.

Draft is not a guarantee but neither is FA; Watt having another healthy season with average stats at $ 17.5 m ; Fuller signing for less $ and on and on.

Everyone has been complaining for years that DaShaun needs a better surrounding cast. We did not help him out last off season and we cannot do it this offseason.

He is worth his contract but that does hit 40 million in 2022. He can bring us a wealth of ammunition in a trade. An offer suggestion from Miami Sentinel IIRC was Tu'a Tagovaila, 1.3 plus 1.18 plus 2.35 plus 2.50 for DW and Cooks.
Much can be done with that this off season

A report that San Francisco could offer their 1.12 plus 2.47 plus rounds one and two in 2022 for QB Zach Wilson or Fields.

Watson and Cooks could add
3 round ones
3 round twos
1 round three
A franchise type starter QB in Tu'a.
Plus extra round 1 and 2 in 2022.
That's not Madden just good negotiations and like him or not Nick Caserio should be great..

9 possible starters in two drafts lowering the cap would be huge. We can only get that because of the DeShaun value.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
We had a healthy, very productive top 5 franchise QB this season and we were under the cap all season. Better coaching will help but even if Caserio turns out to be great and can increase cap space with wise maneuvers It is unclear what free agency this off season will be like.

Draft is not a guarantee but neither is FA; Watt having another healthy season with average stats at $ 17.5 m ; Fuller signing for less $ and on and on.

Everyone has been complaining for years that DaShaun needs a better surrounding cast. We did not help him out last off season and we cannot do it this offseason.

He is worth his contract but that does hit 40 million in 2022. He can bring us a wealth of ammunition in a trade. An offer suggestion from Miami Sentinel IIRC was Tu'a Tagovaila, 1.3 plus 1.18 plus 2.35 plus 2.50 for DW and Cooks.

A report that San Francisco could offer their 1.12 plus 2.47 plus rounds one and two in 2022 for QB Zach Wilson or Fields.

3 round ones
3 round twos
1 round three
That's not Madden just good negotiations and like him or not Nick Caserio should be great..

9 possible starters in two drafts lowering the cap would be huge. We can only get that because of the DeShaun value.
Put your boner away, we are not trading Watson

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

3 round ones
3 round twos
1 round three

I am convinced.

badboy

Hall of Fame
As far as I am concerned ALL PROBLEMS GET FIxED BY FIRING JACK EASTERBY.
How does that lower the salary cap? How does that bring in round 1 and round 2 draft picks? Surgery can remove a hemorrhoid but does not stop what caused it nor another one from appearing soon after. Do not let your hatred for one person blind you to what the needs of the team are.

banned1976

sleeper mode

3 round ones
3 round twos
1 round three

Draft the best available running back in round three this year, spend the rest of the picks on the defense. Go into 2022 with your full compliment of early picks, again investing heavily in the defense. With Watson.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Draft the best available running back in round three this year, spend the rest of the picks on the defense. Go into 2022 with your full compliment of early picks, again investing heavily in the defense. With Watson.

Yes and I have repeatedly suggested that however that wastes at least one more season of your franchise quarterback. Also it does nothing to reduce your cap struggles going forward the nex four years. Bringing in a minimum of nine additional draft picks automatically lowers your cap and allows you to replace some high-dollar cap hit players

Texazan

Our HOF 34

Exactly. It’s amazing that they can put this kind of crap out! Did journalistic integrity go out the window with the internet or what?

“although all remains nothing more than innuendo until Watson makes it known what he wants and how the Texans respond”

Yea no shiit

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
If it's race bullshit that is driving this, send him away then. I don't want race-obsessed people on the team. This franchise doesn't have the luxury to be worrying about other ****.

And if the rumors are true that he's upset he wasn't part of the decisions, that he would "consider" a trade to Miami etc that's even worse. He's a quarterback but that's it. This isn't the NBA where players dictate whatever they want and hold teams hostage.

The thing that makes me not think any of it is true is that Watson would have to have been faking his entire personality and character his entire football life for it to be true.

I don't know. Whatever I guess.

Jadmakaveli

Veteran
If it's race bullshit that is driving this, send him away then. I don't want race-obsessed people on the team. This franchise doesn't have the luxury to be worrying about other ****.

And if the rumors are true that he's upset he wasn't part of the decisions, that he would "consider" a trade to Miami etc that's even worse. He's a quarterback but that's it. This isn't the NBA where players dictate whatever they want and hold teams hostage.

The thing that makes me not think any of it is true is that Watson would have to have been faking his entire personality and character his entire football life for it to be true.

I don't know. Whatever I guess.
Lol.

Rumor is apparently Caserio loves him some Tua.
I'm not sold on Tua yet. His ceiling seems to be a lot lower than Watson's. Good poise and good game management skills, but so far all 'dink and dunk' passes (a la Alex Smith). He hasn't shown an ability to stretch the field AT ALL in his first (half) season. Out of 290 pass attempts, only THREE completions were longer than 30 yards. Next season he'll need to quickly improve on being able to complete deep passes, and complete passes into tight windows, or defenses will increasingly shut him down.

My fantasy trade would be to send him to the Jags for the number one pick (Trevor Lawrence)...

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
The only thing going for Tua is that he is going to take his lumps as a young QB before the Texans have chance to put a good product on the field again.

I’m not even sold on him being that good a QB. That Miami team wasn’t awful this season but Tua didn’t look so hot.

What would Watson bring in addition? If we’re talking about 2 firsts, a 2nd & Tua, and DW4 really wants out. Then maybe I let him go. I’d look to then trade away the 1st to get future picks and still accept the 2021 tank.

I’m not sure how much interest I’m going to have as a fan going forward if Watson is traded. Seems AJ, Watt, Hopkins all great players wasted on this team.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Only if we get Brady..... lets complete this tragically hilarious mad libs copy of the Patriots.

Change the name to the Houston Bumblers while we are at it before Texans all over the state declare the name "Texans" is offensive to be connected to our team, to avoid a season of being "Houston Football Team".

Mangler

Toro de España
Thinking out loud:

Texans trade QB Deshaun Watson and ILB Zach Cunningham to Miami Dolphins.

Miami trades QB Tua Tagovailoa, 2021 1st RD pick (#3); 2021 1st RD pick (#18); 2022 2nd RD pick (#36); 2022 1st RD pick to the Houston Texans.
You mean, copy and pasting out loud? I saw this exact same post on Twitter by one of the NFL analysts.

Jerry#99

Texans HOF
If he is making millions but is unhappy that he doesn’t clear all owner and front office decisions, then he will be a problem going forward! If so, trade him for greatest value! He is paid extremely well to play football! He is not paid to make Owner, GM, Coach, Front Office or even HR decisions! He is a player! Get on board or trade him! Texans need a LOT of help right now...but don't need a disgruntled multi-million $$$ player to cause more problems. Move on!! :logo:

Texian

Hall of Fame
You mean, copy and pasting out loud? I saw this exact same post on Twitter by one of the NFL analysts.
Not what I meant at all. Sorry I've read no NFL analyst of Twitter. Must be a case of great minds think a like. To be honest, this is kind of a no brainer trade, It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. I did see Mort say a trade with Miami makes sense but he didn't offer any particulars. I just took what Mort said and ran with it.

You got a link for that exact same post?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I'd be ok with trading him to Jax for Minshew and 1st pick. Then draft Trevor Lawrence and hope one of those QB's can surpass Watson.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this in another thread but just heard Chris Mortenson on the radio say that the he’s hearing that the Texans and Dolphins might be discussing a deal. Tua plus other compensation for DW. Apparently someone in the Texans organization is high on Tua.

What a joke if there is any substance to that.

Edit: Now PFT is reporting this. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/10/report-deshaun-watson-would-consider-trade-to-dolphins/
Tua a 2021 1st/2nd and a 2022 1st plus taking on Mercilus contract or trading either Howard or B. Jones

They would be crazy not to take that deal.

Thenewbeginning

Practice Squad
The absolutely last and I mean LAST resort would be to trade Watson. Fire Easterby, have Watson heavily involved in the head coach process, ask him what he wants to make him happy. New clean slate.

Watson is 25 years old only, top 5 QB in the league, great in the community, can win any game as long as he is playing. You can't trade him.

I get why he is upset. While the Texans didn't have to involve him, they said the would have him involved in the GM and H.C process. Reportably, they have done the exact opposite. I mean to not even request an interview with Bienemy is a disgrace. Even if the Texans didn't want to hire him, you must atleast interview him when your star QB is advocating for him.

Let's say we get to that last report option as Watson demands a trade and there is no turning back. Texans shouldn't even pick up the phone unless ATLEAST (3) first round draft picks and (2) 2nd round picks are involved. Bare minimum.

Think what it would take for a team to move up to #1 and draft Trevor Lawrence. It would cost atleast 3 first round picks. There is no guarantee with Lawrence. You know exactly what you are getting out of Watson. A Top 5 QB in his prime just 25 years old. Tua, he's trash. No arm strength, brittle. I don't count Tua as a"1st round pick." It's laughable the proposals some of you have said you would be willing to take for Watson. Remember, top 5 Qb's don't grow on trees.

Make it right!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Thinking out loud:

Texans trade QB Deshaun Watson and ILB Zach Cunningham to Miami Dolphins.

Miami trades QB Tua Tagovailoa, 2021 1st RD pick (#3); 2021 1st RD pick (#18); 2022 2nd RD pick (#36); 2022 1st RD pick to the Houston Texans.
I would take this in a heartbeat.

It would give Caserio the chance to have the picks to rebuild this team over the next few yrs. If this trade was made and another team was looking to move up for say Fields/Wilson then I would trade down again.. Say a team like like Carolina wants to trade up to get Fields/Wilson. Ask for Brian Banks/Pick #/8/2nd rd pick.

Then you have pick #8/a pass rusher this team so badly needs/pick #18/Pick #36/Pick #40. Then you have the your 1st rd pick that should be a high pick (I dont expect the Texans to be good next yr with or without DW4) and the Dolphins low 1st rd pick.

Rd.1 #8 Caleb Farley CB Va.
Rd1 # 18 Zavien Collins LB Tulsa
Rd. 2 # 36 Nick Bolton LB Missouri
Rd. 2 # 40 Barmore DT Alabama
Rd. 3. Kylin Hill RB Miss St
Rd. 4 Logan Young OT Kentucky
Rd. 4 Kelvin Joseph CB Kentucky

Plus you get rid of Cunningham's contract and have two 2022 1st's.

You think DW4 would be worth this type of haul? Sign me up. These are the possibilities.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I would take this in a heartbeat.

It would give Caserio the chance to have the picks to rebuild this team over the next few yrs. If this trade was made and another team was looking to move up for say Fields/Wilson then I would trade down again.. Say a team like like Carolina wants to trade up to get Fields/Wilson. Ask for Brian Banks/Pick #/8/2nd rd pick.

Then you have pick #8/a pass rusher this team so badly needs/pick #18/Pick #36/Pick #40. Then you have the your 1st rd pick that should be a high pick (I dont expect the Texans to be good next yr with or without DW4) and the Dolphins low 1st rd pick.

Rd.1 #8 Caleb Farley CB Va.
Rd1 # 18 Zavien Collins LB Tulsa
Rd. 2 # 36 Nick Bolton LB Missouri
Rd. 2 # 40 Barmore DT Alabama
Rd. 3. Kylin Hill RB Miss St
Rd. 4 Logan Young OT Kentucky
Rd. 4 Kelvin Joseph CB Kentucky

Plus you get rid of Cunningham's contract and have two 2022 1st's.

You think DW4 would be worth this type of haul? Sign me up. These are the possibilities.
I would do it too BUT I wouldn't do it for anything less. If Caserio learned one thing from Belichick it should be that much of the Pats success came from compounding your number of draft picks. A trick Belichick learned from Jimmy Johnson.

Last edited: