Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am not busted up my roster if Watson is traded. Cal you messed up so eat away buddy at that crappy cap hit that will follow. Like I said weeks ago, the only team I would trade DCW4 to is the Jets. Zach Wilson will be a perfect replacement. Give me a few players, Quinnen Williams DT, and La’Mical Perine RB and will have to take either Flacco or Dornald.

I'm not a fan of "hypelights" but watching Trey Lance the other day really got me looking at him. Talk about electric

I'm not a fan of "hypelights" but watching Trey Lance the other day really got me looking at him. Talk about electric

Quincey Avery is his QB coach. Pass

He's doing this against D-II guys. He's very athletic though.

Quincey Avery is his QB coach. Pass

He's doing this against D-II guys. He's very athletic though.

Oh yea Lance wasn't playing against anyone of any signifigance but Wilson had some real cupcakes also and then shat the bed against CC. Its all a crapshoot. I just hadnt seen much of Lance until recently. Yea Cowherd had Avery on the other day which is when I saw that.

Yes to Tua and as a continuing QB. No one has presented evidence that he cannot be at minimum an average starter..16 or so of 32. If we use the draft picks and the vets in the package I have voiced that we should get, we can strengthen this roster with offensive line and running back selections in draft. Howard across from Roby more than doubles our efficiency with our corners. John Reid should step up in his second season as many rookies do. Lonnie Johnson as a full-time safety starter Should be much better.

TTag's hip should be even better with additional time he has had to heal. Let's not forget that is an anchor point for quarterback trying to setup and throw. Also hopefully having a training season with better team ability to handle covid-19 he will progress. Let us not forget that 2020 was his rookie season.

Earlier this year I posted a comparison between Watson and Tua's rookie years and they were not that dissimilar including history of injuries for each player. Now we understand how DeShaun recovered and again I have see no reason that Tag cannot do the same. All reports that I have seen minimum information indicates that he is ready to go forward.

Tue plus 1.3 &1.18 are much better than 1.2 Wilson whom is going to be great and 1.23 Jets trade.

Ok admittely I'm not a NFL trade scholar so maybe there is a stay rule I'm not aware of but why are we not talking about (not you BB) taking Tua in ANY package with MIA and then possibly flipping him for a couple more picks?

But what if it's the player that wants to be moved, why then is the team obligated to pay the entire signing bonus?
It’s all about accounting. Pro rated signing bonus works in the favor of the player in that it hurts the team if they were to trade him in the first three years of the deal.

from the players perspective that is his salary. Watson may feel as if his play in 2020 warranted a $27M salary & he owes nothing.

From my point of view, that $27M should be attributed to the first two years. Averaging just under $20M/yr.

Still, it’s up to the team, I think, to determine how they should be compensated for that. I believe many here are saying a first round pick in addition to the three to acquire the player.

Also frankly I don’t want Tua. Getting to many Osweiler vibes, rookie comes in, has some big games, looks like a million bucks then gets benched for a vet. We had our best success at QB when we drafted our own, don’t really want to inherit someone else’s problem.

Tua got benched for Fitzpatrick.

Tua or McCarron makes no difference in the Texans record next season both would be bad.
The only thing that Tua has going for him is he's relatively cheap being on his rookie deal.

I'd rather not help Miami out by taking their problem in return and them telling me he's an asset , trying to give me that guy instead of another pick - give me a pick instead.

Texans just don't have a sound history of picking RD1 QB's.....then building a team around them. Texans history is surrounding RD1 QB picks with idiot coaches and even worse OL and RB's. They will manage to figure out how to add a WR1 and that's about it. Why oh why, if the team manages to trade Watson for solid RD1 pick(s) and more would you guys want to watch them draft another RD1 QB with the team they currently have?

So, if they draft Zach Wilson and true to the Texans nature they somehow convince themselves they have the requisite OL talent and decide to focus on the defense and grab a RB and TE late in the draft, how soon before we blame Wilson for not developing fast enough while gaining bad habits along the way?

For me.....I'm sick of watching them screw this situation up and then feeling compelled to hold onto everyone far too long as they sit in their offices at Kirby hoping for different results.

I want the trade with the Dolphins b/c it has the most to offer for this draft. Yes, I want to try and clear cap space b/c this team should be in a great position to obtain final veteran pieces after the 2022 season. Roll any of the 2021 cap savings into 2022 and then into that 2023 off-season. Texans need to have deep pockets available to begin the finishing touches to 2 draft classes.

If the Dolphins want to include Tua in a Watson trade....instead of taking all 4 picks in RD1 and RD2 in this draft....I'd cough up their RD2-18-050 pick in return. I'd make them take Cooks in the deal but they could pay for him over 2 later drafts (2022 & 2023) which to me would be a 2022 RD2 and a 2023 Conditional RD2.

Texans should expect a return of: Tua (W) / RD1-03-003 (W) / RD1-18-018 (W) / RD2-03-35 (W) / 2022 RD1 (W) & RD2 (C) / 2023 RD1 (W) and a Conditional RD2 (C).

Depending on how bad Carolina is jonesing for a QB, they could be a team most interested in moving up to pick #3. They're at pick 8 so it wouldn't be a big drop and the Texans could certainly pick up another pick for this draft (RD2-08-040) and then push for a another RD2 in 2022.

I'm strictly trying to add draft assets over the next 2 drafts knowing this would be the best chance to address as many needs and/or talent as necessary and/or possible.

With this many draft assets being added over the next 2 drafts and still in possession of (2) RD1 picks in 2023......Texans could get very serious in dumping contracts they shouldn't keep and finding inexpensive 1-2 year gap players that come cheap with good to better than expected upside. I'd treat 2021 and 2022 as a 2 year talent search and talent development period or a 2 year extended off-season. In 2022, the team might add a couple of top FA's if their 2021 draft and additions did better than expected. 2023 should be a solid time to evaluate how the talent from the last 2 drafts are developing. Horrible contracts should have been fully eradicated at the end of the 2022 season or no later than the conclusion of the 2021 season. This team should be sniffing cap bliss by 2022 and be completely in cap bliss by 2023.

The Texans handle this in the right manner they may find that both Tua and McCarron could be successful with the solid team suddenly surrounding them. If neither are making the desired strides......2023 should have FA QB's or QB's in the draft that they could put under Center. They would have the cap space or draft assets to be very aggresive in obtaining any top FA QB1 or the Texans would be sitting on enough draft assets in 2023 to be very agressive for the right QB in the draft. This would have all the looks of the teams Brady, Rothlisberger, and Mahomes walked into as rookies, or as second year QB1's. The Texans have never done it this way and we've all seen the results. Sorry, I did forget about the Schaub situation that was put around him.....somehow, the team just figured out how to fail.

Maybe it's time for a real process of building a team before adding the QB1.

Last edited:
But what if it's the player that wants to be moved, why then is the team obligated to pay the entire signing bonus? Or the player not obligated to return the signing bonus?
It doesn't seem right that a player should be able to profit from a contract like this when they are the one that does not want to fulfill the contract.
Hell, you could make a nice living off signing bonuses and forcing trades every few years!
All I can really say is that It is part of the collective bargaining agreement that both owners and players negotiated and agreed to. For me it is important to remember that on most player trades it is to benefit the team not the player. This speaking of guaranteed signing bonuses is to benefit over all the players

Texans just don't have a sound history of picking RD1 QB's.....then building a team around them. Texans history is surrounding RD1 QB picks with idiot coaches and even worse OL and RB's. They will manage to figure out how to add a WR1 and that's about it. Why oh why, if the team manages to trade Watson for solid RD1 pick(s) and more would you guys want to watch them draft another RD1 QB with the team they currently have?

So, if they draft Zach Wilson and true to the Texans nature they somehow convince themselves they have the requisite OL talent and decide to focus on the defense and grab a RB and TE late in the draft, how soon before we blame Wilson for not developing fast enough while gaining bad habits along the way?

For me.....I'm sick of watching them screw this situation up and then feeling compelled to hold onto everyone far too long as they sit in their offices at Kirby hoping for different results.

I want the trade with the Dolphins b/c it has the most to offer for this draft. Yes, I want to try and clear cap space b/c this team should be in a great position to obtain final veteran pieces after the 2022 season. Roll any of the 2021 cap savings into 2022 and then into that 2023 off-season. Texans need to have deep pockets available to begin the finishing touches to 2 draft classes.

If the Dolphins want to include Tua in a Watson trade....instead of taking all 4 picks in RD1 and RD2 in this draft....I'd cough up their RD2-18-050 pick in return. I'd make them take Cooks in the deal but they could pay for him over 2 later drafts (2022 & 2023) which to me would be a 2022 RD2 and a 2023 Conditional RD2.

Texans should expect a return of: Tua (W) / RD1-03-003 (W) / RD1-18-018 (W) / RD2-03-35 (W) / 2022 RD1 (W) & RD2 (C) / 2023 RD1 (W) and a Conditional RD2 (C).

Depending on how bad Carolina is jonesing for a QB, they could be a team most interested in moving up to pick #3. They're at pick 8 so it wouldn't be a big drop and the Texans could certainly pick up another pick for this draft (RD2-08-040) and then push for a another RD2 in 2022.

I'm strictly trying to add draft assets over the next 2 drafts knowing this would be the best chance to address as many needs and/or talent as necessary and/or possible.

With this many draft assets being added over the next 2 drafts and still in possession of (2) RD1 picks in 2023......Texans could get very serious in dumping contracts they shouldn't keep and finding inexpensive 1-2 year gap players that come cheap with good to better than expected upside. I'd treat 2021 and 2022 as a 2 year talent search and talent development period or a 2 year extended off-season. In 2022, the team might add a couple of top FA's if their 2021 draft and additions did better than expected. 2023 should be a solid time to evaluate how the talent from the last 2 drafts are developing while holding onto horrible contracts should have been fully eradicated at the end of the 2022 season, if not at the conclusion of the 2021 season. This team should be sniffing cap bliss by 2022 and be completely in cap bliss by 2023.

The Texans handle this in the right manner they may find that both Tua and McCarron could be successful with a solid team around them. If neither are making the desired strides......2023 should have FA QB's and QB's in the draft that they could put under Center. Texans would be sitting on the draft assets in 2023 to be very agressive for the right QB. This would have all the looks of the teams Brady, Rothlisberger, and Mahomes walked into as rookies, or second year QB1's. The Texans have never done it this way and we've all seen the results. Sorry, I did forget about the Schaub situation that was put around him.....somehow, the team just figured out how to fail.

Seems like a good plan to me, however I think there's to much that has to go right for this plan to fall in place. I'm all for getting as much draft capital as possible over the next 2 yrs and finally building this team correctly.

I disagree with your assesment of the Texans history of screwing up 1st rd QB's. They missed on Carr because they wanted a face of the franchise more than they wanted to build a solid foundation because it's easy to market a guy like Carr vs saying we're going to draft the best players but as an expansion franchise we're going to build this thing correctly. BTW, it obviously was the right decision to make financially, but not so much for building a long term on the field successful product.

They hit on DW4, so they're batting 50/50 on 1st rd QB picks. Sad part is in over a decade of RS tenure he didn't invest in the QB position at all in the draft. (The most important position in sports) That way he was never tied to a bad QB pick and that in a weird way provided job security for him.

i know its fantasy talk but everyone is talking how we can rebuild by getting so many chips

but what if cal and nick decided to say hey lets win now mode ..??? how would we do that

could u image if this never happend and watson was a happy camper and texans 4 life how would we go into this season trying to win the SB ..???

i know its fantasy talk but everyone is talking how we can rebuild by getting so many chips

but what if cal and nick decided to say hey lets win now mode ..??? how would we do that

could u image if this never happend and watson was a happy camper and texans 4 life how would we go into this season trying to win the SB ..???

Texans are dead in the water cap wise. They're also dead in the water with the current draft capital b/c we've never seen a Caserio and team draft. The current talent on the team is more questionable than a sure bet.....even with a new staff. I really want to see a better offensive scheme and coaches be the difference maker in possibly salvaging the current players.

Seems like a good plan to me, however I think there's to much that has to go right for this plan to fall in place. I'm all for getting as much draft capital as possible over the next 2 yrs and finally building this team correctly.

I disagree with your assesment of the Texans history of screwing up 1st rd QB's. They missed on Carr because they wanted a face of the franchise more than they wanted to build a solid foundation because it's easy to market a guy like Carr vs saying we're going to draft the best players but as an expansion franchise we're going to build this thing correctly. BTW, it obviously was the right decision to make financially, but not so much for building a long term on the field successful product.

They hit on DW4, so they're batting 50/50 on 1st rd QB picks. Sad part is in over a decade of RS tenure he didn't invest in the QB position at all in the draft. (The most important position in sports) That way he was never tied to a bad QB pick and that in a weird way provided job security for him.

Didn't mean to allude they missed on either Carr or Watson.....the team missed on the coaches and players they surrounded them with. I was also pissed with the manner in which they kept their horrible OL talent while thinking at some point they would just come around to being All Pro talent.

There is no future without a solid plan of attack. The Texans must rip the band-aid off in regards to their current cap situation and the bad contracts digging the hole of responsibility.

They need to draft smart knowing this will be at minimum a 2 year process. They'll need to cover veteran bad contract cuts. I'd address this with low-cost under achieving veteran talent on 1 to 2 year prove-it type of contracts. 2022 would be the first year in the rebuild to evaluate how things are progressing. After the 2022 season this team would have 2 good drafts to evaluate as well as the veteran players to gap positions that weren't taken over by drafted rookies. All I know, the Texans would be flush with cap space and still in possession of (2) RD1 picks in 2023. Can I guarantee there would be success? No.....that's going to be Caserio and his team along with the coaching staff that will determine that. What I could guarantee, the Texans would probably be #1 in available cap space and they'd have (2) RD1 picks entering the 2023 NFL Draft with 20+ NFL Draft picks developing from the 2021 and 2022 NFL Drafts. I'll take this outlook any day of the week.

Out of curiosity, considering no QB drafted in the first round from 2009 to 2016 will be with their original team in 2021, which of these QBs were available for Ricky to draft and do you think they would be the difference in the Texans winning a championship in the last 10 years?

2009: Stafford, Lions; Mark Sanchez, Jets; Josh Freeman, Buccaneers.

2010: Sam Bradford, Rams; Tim Tebow, Broncos.

2011: Cam Newton, Panthers; Jake Locker, Titans; Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars; Christian Ponder, Vikings.

2012: Andrew Luck, Colts; Robert Griffin III, Washington; Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins; Brandon Weeden, Browns.

2013: EJ Manuel, Bills.

2014: Blake Bortles, Jaguars; Johnny Manziel, Browns; Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings.

2015: Jameis Winston, Buccaneers; Marcus Mariota, Titans.

2016: Goff, Rams; Wentz, Eagles; Paxton Lynch, Broncos.

No QBs drafted in first round from 2009-16 are set to be on original team in 2021 - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

With this many draft assets being added over the next 2 drafts and still in possession of (2) RD1 picks in 2023......Texans could get very serious in dumping contracts they shouldn't keep and finding inexpensive 1-2 year gap players that come cheap with good to better than expected upside. I'd treat 2021 and 2022 as a 2 year talent search and talent development period or a 2 year extended off-season. In 2022, the team might add a couple of top FA's if their 2021 draft and additions did better than expected. 2023 should be a solid time to evaluate how the talent from the last 2 drafts are developing. Horrible contracts should have been fully eradicated at the end of the 2022 season or no later than the conclusion of the 2021 season. This team should be sniffing cap bliss by 2022 and be completely in cap bliss by 2023.

The Texans handle this in the right manner they may find that both Tua and McCarron could be successful with the solid team suddenly surrounding them. If neither are making the desired strides......2023 should have FA QB's or QB's in the draft that they could put under Center. They would have the cap space or draft assets to be very aggresive in obtaining any top FA QB1 or the Texans would be sitting on enough draft assets in 2023 to be very agressive for the right QB in the draft. This would have all the looks of the teams Brady, Rothlisberger, and Mahomes walked into as rookies, or as second year QB1's. The Texans have never done it this way and we've all seen the results. Sorry, I did forget about the Schaub situation that was put around him.....somehow, the team just figured out how to fail.

Much of the basis of this post I understand and even some agree with but like SteelBTexan I disagree with others.

Opti: I think this draft is strong in many areas of our team needs and we with a good trade package (Jets or Miami only) we can address those and get solid players now. I think many here and I am a bit leery but hopeful think Oline will be much better due to time together, better coaching and some new additions. Time will tell but for me I don't want to get caught up in my past because it only will cloud my future. Be cautious and concerned but lets get going.

Out of curiosity, considering no QB drafted in the first round from 2009 to 2016 will be with their original team in 2021, which of these QBs were available for Ricky to draft and do you think they would be the difference in the Texans winning a championship in the last 10 years?

2009: Stafford, Lions; Mark Sanchez, Jets; Josh Freeman, Buccaneers.

2010: Sam Bradford, Rams; Tim Tebow, Broncos.

2011: Cam Newton, Panthers; Jake Locker, Titans; Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars; Christian Ponder, Vikings.

2012: Andrew Luck, Colts; Robert Griffin III, Washington; Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins; Brandon Weeden, Browns.

2013: EJ Manuel, Bills.

2014: Blake Bortles, Jaguars; Johnny Manziel, Browns; Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings.

2015: Jameis Winston, Buccaneers; Marcus Mariota, Titans.

2016: Goff, Rams; Wentz, Eagles; Paxton Lynch, Broncos.

No QBs drafted in first round from 2009-16 are set to be on original team in 2021 - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Yes most of these teams were built like the Texans are built. Get the QB 1st and then build the team around him. This leeads to the QB getting the crap beat out of him and most QB's not becoming the franchise players they were drafted to be. The hit rate on QB's has been much better lately and your post really doesn't surprise me because teams that have QB's that make more than 14% of the cap aren't going to win a championship so after a while they move on from their guy to a cheaper model.

Yes most of these teams were built like the Texans are built. Get the QB 1st and then build the team around him. This leeads to the QB getting the crap beat out of him and most QB's not becoming the franchise players they were drafted to be. The hit rate on QB's has been much better lately and your post really doesn't surprise me because teams that have QB's that make more than 14% of the cap aren't going to win a championship so after a while they move on from their guy to a cheaper model.
I agree with you but it doesn't answer the question. You said RS didn't draft a QB and the question was, "Which of these 1st round QBs were available for Ricky to draft and do you think they would be the difference in the Texans winning a championship in the last 10 years"?

I think reality resides in between SB and total rebuild but closer to the latter. If nothing had happened with #4 we would be going thru another losing season 2021 as little to draft and needing to cut players. JJ would still be gone.

I agree with you but it doesn't answer the question. You said RS didn't draft a QB and the question was, "Which of these 1st round QBs were available for Ricky to draft and do you think they would be the difference in the Texans winning a championship in the last 10 years"?

Some bad QB's there, my favorites and who I would've tried to trade up for at the time and said so were RGIII, Winston/Goff. (Shows what I know, but those stats are somewhat skewed by guys like Wilson/Carr/Ryan etc...) I do think if Shanny hadn't ruined RGIII's career he could've become an all time great. Talent throwing the ball/could run like the wind/smart as a whip

Optimistic we have a new GM so maybe this time we won't strikeout. I'm thinking Wilson would be perfect since he will be familiar with what we're trying to run. Kelly will still be able to play call accordingly. One main difference is Wilson is bigger and might have the stronger arm. He’s pretty elusive as well.

Last edited:

You keep DW4, you cut Cooks/McKinney/N.Martin/Johnsons/Murray. This would open up enough cap room to add 4 difference makers in FA. You hope to hit on your rd 3 and 4 picks

That gives you 7 guys you can add to your defense to upgrade. Then you go with RB's that are lat rd picks 5th/6th and hope to hit on one I like Mitchell/Ragas from Louisiana and Malepeai/Carr from Usc as late rd guys. A late rd OL like Landon Young wouldn't hurt either. I also like Grimes from Florida as a late rd guy

Offense

QB- DW4
RB- Ragas/Malepeai/Carr/Phillips/Howell
WR's Cobb/Coutee/Mitchell/Cheap vet FA/Grimes
TE Brown/Fells/Kahale (SP?) Akins
OT Tunsil/Heck/Rod Johnson/Young
OG Scharping/Howard/Qvale/Young
C Fulton

Defense

DE Draft Ellerson Smith Rd 3/Ohmenihu/Martin
DT Hall/Blacklock/Hankins
LB's Cunningham/Jayron Brown in FA/Adams
CB's Roby/Draftted in rd 4 Tay Gowan/Rd.4 Ambry Thomas/Rd. 7 Mark Gilbert
S's Reid/LoJo/B.J. Foster

I like doing this stuff when I'm bored. But this team although not a contender would probably win 10 games.

A Watson Trade before the draft (Pre-June 1) would mean an instant cap hit of $21.6m which is the remainder of the prorated signing bonus money already paid by the Texans to Watson.

A Post June 1 trade would mean a $5.4m cap hit for this year (2021) and a $16.2m cap hit for 2022. Again , the total remaining of the prorated signing bonus money the Texans have already given to Watson.

Deshaun Watson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Click the link then click the red X at the end of the row for 2021 and it'll give a drop down with an explanation.

These details and facts are either being ignored or willfully unknown by the vast majority of media figures that are banging their little drums for Watson to be traded.

Most of them also fail to mention the fact that the ink is barely dry on Watson's $111 million guaranteed contract before he started sending messages that he wanted out through his various proxies.

In the end, my attitude has become screw the Texans, screw Watson, and screw the media. The only ones I feel for are us fans stuck rooting for this garbage franchise.

Optimistic we have a new GM so maybe this time we won't strikeout. I'm thinking Wilson would be perfect since he will be familiar with what we're trying to run. Kelly will still be able to play call accordingly. One main difference is Wilson is bigger and might have the stronger arm. He’s pretty elusive as well.

I admire your optimism, but just wish I could share it.

Until proven otherwise, I can only assume that Caserio will be hindered by terrible owner management like his predecessors. And it might be even worse for Caserio now that the silver-spoon goober and his cult-leader sidekick are in charge. These two dolts are not looking for great football players with good character. They are looking for their vision of "high character individuals" (their words) that happen to play football.

Problem is that RS not only didn't draft a QB in the first, he didn't even draft one in the 2nd... or 3rd

Did RS draft any QB other than TJ at all?

These details and facts are either being ignored or willfully unknown by the vast majority of media figures that are banging their little drums for Watson to be traded.

Most of them also fail to mention the fact that the ink is barely dry on Watson's $111 million guaranteed contract before he started sending messages that he wanted out through his various proxies.

In the end, my attitude has become screw the Texans, screw Watson, and screw the media. The only ones I feel for are us fans stuck rooting for this garbage franchise.

I admire your optimism, but just wish I could share it.

Until proven otherwise, I can only assume that Caserio will be hindered by terrible owner management like his predecessors. And it might be even worse for Caserio now that the silver-spoon goober and his cult-leader sidekick are in charge. These two dolts are not looking for great football players with good character. They are looking for their vision of "high character individuals" (their words) that happen to play football.
Nothing has changed in McNair's desire for high character players and we have had some success. IMO, the failure came with OBrien. I'm hopeful that Caserio will successfully maneuver between what Janice M wants and an approach to get us to greatness. Big ask but we will see. I think when NC starts bringing in players Janice will have Easterby fade. Now those wanting thugs R Us will not get that but we will have good players.

The "culture" that seems to be the issue between some players and management will continue "as is" with some modification to mollify those players. As we go forward with cuts and trades we will be bringing in much younger players who will be satisfied with the dollars and hopefully winning. After Mrs McNair passes, I do expect even more changes with perhaps her giving control to a grand child over Calhoun.

It seems to be more acceptable on this board that the move of DeAndre Hopkins did originate with Deshaun's mother rather than the Texans.

Problem is that RS not only didn't draft a QB in the first, he didn't even draft one in the 2nd... or 3rd

Tom Savage? Also, who was drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round that would have kept them from being in QB hell? Garopollo comes to mind, but he didn't pass on Garoppolo. Hindsight is 20/20. No one expected the Patriots to take Garoppolo after they selected Mallet the year before and Brady still on the roster. Derek Carr? We all know why he was not selected.

The point is we always hear Ricky should have taken a QB and looking at the first rounders who are switching teams, I wonder who was available that would have helped this team, win championships or have them in a better position today.

Last edited:
Nothing has changed in McNair's desire for high character players and we have had some success. IMO, the failure came with OBrien. I'm hopeful that Caserio will successfully maneuver between what Janice M wants and an approach to get us to greatness. Big ask but we will see. I think when NC starts bringing in players Janice will have Easterby fade. Now those wanting thugs R Us will not get that but we will have good players.

The "culture" that seems to be the issue between some players and management will continue "as is" with some modification to mollify those players. As we go forward with cuts and trades we will be bringing in much younger players who will be satisfied with the dollars and hopefully winning. After Mrs McNair passes, I do expect even more changes with perhaps her giving control to a grand child over Calhoun.

It seems to be more acceptable on this board that the move of DeAndre Hopkins did originate with Deshaun's mother rather than the Texans.

I think the difference between before and now is that Bob McNair was pragmatic enough to know that having too high of "character" standards would exclude a helluva' lot of good football players.

I do not believe that Bob McNair was the gullible & naive spoiled fool that he son appears to be. Easterby would have been nothing but a character coach with Bob McNair. . .and I don't believe that was ever even a position in his franchise while he ran things.

And guys like Bill Belichick, Bruce Arians, and Andy Reid are not building championship football teams by listening to players' mothers. That alone seems like a recipe for utter failure on many levels.

I've not read or heard that any where but on this board. If Watson's mother has so much influence that she can get the team to trade a potential HoF WR, certainly she can influence them to trade her son or let them know the issue with her son. Right?

I've not read or heard that any where but on this board. If Watson's mother has so much influence that she can get the team to trade a potential HoF WR, certainly she can influence them to trade her son or let them know the issue with her son. Right?

Where else would you hear it from? Today the Hopkins trade is old news and it doesn’t fit with the “Texans are a horrible team” narrative. Then at the time the bigger story was what the Texans got in return and the fact they did it at all. The media doesn’t do a deep investigation into every or even most stories they just hit the highlights and whatever gets the most clicks. Plus no national media is going to embarrass Hopkins or Watson by saying Watson’s mother got Hopkins traded.

Now all that being said I don’t know if it true or not, does seem a little out there to me, but the story goes that she talked to Janice mother to mother. I doubt Janice understands HoF WR but she does understand face of the franchise. Just look at who her favorite players have been, all were faces of the team.

Now she’s not going to push for Watson to be traded because that’s money out of her and her families pocket and Watson’s mother isn’t going to talk to the Texans because that would be betraying her son. So if it’s true that same thing hat would have bonded them oiled now make them enemies.

Again though I think the whole story is pretty far out there.

If it were me and had listened to his mom, I would tell her to go sit in a corner. I did what you asked and now look how your lil peckerhead son is behaving.

I think the difference between before and now is that Bob McNair was pragmatic enough to know that having too high of "character" standards would exclude a helluva' lot of good football players.

I do not believe that Bob McNair was the gullible & naive spoiled fool that he son appears to be. Easterby would have been nothing but a character coach with Bob McNair. . .and I don't believe that was ever even a position in his franchise while he ran things.

And guys like Bill Belichick, Bruce Arians, and Andy Reid are not building championship football teams by listening to players' mothers. That alone seems like a recipe for utter failure on many levels.
Exactly, and they’re for darn show not listening to the players in the manner of inputs on who to hire at the GM and HC positions.

Where else would you hear it from? Today the Hopkins trade is old news and it doesn’t fit with the “Texans are a horrible team” narrative. Then at the time the bigger story was what the Texans got in return and the fact they did it at all. The media doesn’t do a deep investigation into every or even most stories they just hit the highlights and whatever gets the most clicks. Plus no national media is going to embarrass Hopkins or Watson by saying Watson’s mother got Hopkins traded.

Now all that being said I don’t know if it true or not, does seem a little out there to me, but the story goes that she talked to Janice mother to mother. I doubt Janice understands HoF WR but she does understand face of the franchise. Just look at who her favorite players have been, all were faces of the team.

Now she’s not going to push for Watson to be traded because that’s money out of her and her families pocket and Watson’s mother isn’t going to talk to the Texans because that would be betraying her son. So if it’s true that same thing hat would have bonded them oiled now make them enemies.

Again though I think the whole story is pretty far out there.
In this attention seeking, social media, click bait driven society, a story like that would generate attention to any reporter/person not affiliated with the major media outlets, the team or city. They don't care about embarrassing a player. That's why I think it's pretty far out there.

Tom Savage? Also, who was drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round that would have kept them from being in QB hell? Garopollo comes to mind, but he didn't pass on Garoppolo. Hindsight is 20/20. No one expected the Patriots to take Garoppolo after they selected Mallet the year before and Brady still on the roster. Derek Carr? We all know why he was not selected.

The point is we always hear Ricky should have taken a QB and looking at the first rounders who are switching teams, I wonder who was available that would have helped this team, win championships or have them in a better position today.

I wanted Jimmy G in the 2nd rd,

RS sat on his hands and this franchise got screwed. Same with Mahomes and DW4. History repeating itself.

My point was RS could have given Kubiak someone to work with so there would have been a backup for when Schaub went into the shitter...

Names not great but quite a few good backups that would have been much better with Kubiaks teaching

Was there are year for reference? Otherwise RS was the one who pulled the trade to move up in RD1 to draft Deshaun Watson.

They missed on Carr because they wanted...
Now that you mention it, Carr is the perfect example of this team being this team. The same reason he was drafted, the same reason he was extended, the same reason Kubiak was handcuffed to him, is the same reason Easterby is here.

You've got blinders on if you think the dysfunction starts outside a McNair.

Sad part is in over a decade of RS tenure he didn't invest in the QB position at all in the draft. (The most important position in sports) That way he was never tied to a bad QB pick and that in a weird way provided job security for him.
From 2009-2016, first round QBs just haven't been able to answer the bell. Facts dude, can't argue with history.

From 2009-2016, first round QBs just haven't been able to answer the bell. Facts dude, can't argue with history.

There were many chances to get the future of the franchise QB while RS was here and Kubiak asked RS to draft one. RS denied that request, I got that from the horses mouth. You can choose to believe that or not.

I sure would have liked to see Kubiak train up a QB of his choosing without the QB having to play right away. That 1 decision could've changed the course of the franchise from where it is today.

Back