Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Should the Texans sign Dalvin Cook?

I'd much rather see what UDFA rookie Valladay brings to the tandem of Pierce and Singletary versus how the team would split carries between Cooks, Pierce, and Singletary. Cooks is a luxury piece for another team not in rebuild mode like the Texans who already signed their veteran RB this season.

I understand at first blush Cook is a luxury. But a great running game is a rookie QBs best friend. Having a solid three person rotation would really take pressure off CJ as he adjusts to the league. Would keep teams honest and would slow down the rush. I’m open to bringing another good RB in if the money makes sense.

Ok, just adding some perspective and a link...

There were only 10 teams last year, so roughly 1/3, that had better than 500 rushing attempts ALL SEASON.
The Falcons had the most with 559 attempts, which averages out to nearly 33 rushes per game.
11 teams had 425 attempts or less. 7 of those teams went to the playoffs, 2 to the AFCCG, and 1 of them won the Super Bowl.
Not only is anything higher than 40 highly unlikely, you could argue that it nearly diminishes your chances to make the playoffs.

In my best Jim Mora...
"60? We're talking about 60? You kidding me? 60? I just hope we get to 30"

I understand at first blush Cook is a luxury. But a great running game is a rookie QBs best friend. Having a solid three person rotation would really take pressure off CJ as he adjusts to the league. Would keep teams honest and would slow down the rush. I’m open to bringing another good RB in if the money makes sense.

Pierce and Singletary will keep defenses plenty honest and on their toes. A young big back, like Valladay, who can catch out of the backfield should be a great set of fresh legs when needed.

I would like to see them bring in one of Hunt/Drake/Fournette in FA,

Let's try another way:
Dalvin had 264 carries in 2022 as stated in 3 links I provided above or just over 15 per game. 4 per quarter which is ridiculously low for RB of his ability. He made no complaints that I am aware of and if not cut probably would get same this season. In theory if $ was right, he should accept same here.

If Pierce and Singletary got same, that's 15 per game x 3 backs: 45 rushes per game and 12 per quarter. I cannot see how that is not possible especially when at least one of those facts is going to miss some games..

Cooks 15
Pierce 12
Singletary 8

Is even more possible. Having said that I don't see Dalvin coming to Houston.

That's not how teams run the ball. You've got to have one "guy". He gets the bulk of the carries. Guy two gives guy one a breather on a drive or two per half and gets some carries on those drives. He also likely has a specialty - 3rd down pass catcher, short yardage guy...scatback whatever it may be. Guy #3 is a special teamer and may see a few snaps/carries a game...or none at all.

You're not going to see 3 guys get equal snaps/carries, running them in and out like a carousel. That's never been done to my knowledge and I don't expect it to start now.

That's not how teams run the ball. You've got to have one "guy". He gets the bulk of the carries. Guy two gives guy one a breather on a drive or two per half and gets some carries on those drives. He also likely has a specialty - 3rd down pass catcher, short yardage guy...scatback whatever it may be. Guy #3 is a special teamer and may see a few snaps/carries a game...or none at all.

You're not going to see 3 guys get equal snaps/carries, running them in and out like a carousel. That's never been done to my knowledge and I don't expect it to start now.

They've got there guys to accomplish this with.

Pierce
Singletary- who I think as a 3rd down RB and getting those 2-3 series per game will get 15 touches per game in the pass/run game.

Boone- ST's Guy who I think will surprise some people if he has to take on Singletary's role.

Valladay- 4th RB/practice squad guy.

Bottom line is no more Burkhead/Doaks/O getting carries in a game.

That is a far cry from
Well of course it is; trying to establish that Cooks can get his and other 2 also. Why are some comparing Slowik offense to last year's or even other teams. Ours should be a heavy run oriented O with occasional pass. At least until JC can show he can handle it.

I'd much rather see what UDFA rookie Valladay brings to the tandem of Pierce and Singletary versus how the team would split carries between Cooks, Pierce, and Singletary. Cooks is a luxury piece for another team not in rebuild mode like the Texans who already signed their veteran RB this season.
I think Calhanna/Caserio/Ryans want more than rebuilding season. Let's not get caught up in that word. See what Valladay has and PS if necessary. He has much greater chance of missing than does Cooks; flipping coin is ok in some instances but Cooks should bringit for another 2-3 seasons and that's the type of football I want to watch. Also makes QB, Oline and receiving corps better.

I think Calhanna/Caserio/Ryans want more than rebuilding season. Let's not get caught up in that word. See what Valladay has and PS if necessary. He has much greater chance of missing than does Cooks; flipping coin is ok in some instances but Cooks should bringit for another 2-3 seasons and that's the type of football I want to watch. Also makes QB, Oline and receiving corps better.

A Feature Back was the norm…..then (2) Feature Backs became the new norm to help alleviate the wear and tear on one Feature Back…..now you’re wanting the Texans to usher in a new NFL concept by carrying (3) Feature Backs and somehow splitting the load (3) ways while keeping all (3) happy.

A Feature Back was the norm…..then (2) Feature Backs became the new norm to help alleviate the wear and tear on one Feature Back…..now you’re wanting the Texans to usher in a new NFL concept by carrying (3) Feature Backs and somehow splitting the load (3) ways while keeping all (3) happy.
Are you satisfied with the norm that hasn't worked for us? The old style QB is no longer the norm. If you only have one good car...

I have two.

Just to clarify, I am not fan of rotating QBs but others? Yes sir. Competition is great.

Are you satisfied with the norm that hasn't worked for us? The old style QB is no longer the norm. If you only have one good car...

I have two.

Just to clarify, I am not fan of rotating QBs but others? Yes sir. Competition is great.

The Texans norm has never had a Pierce and Singletary in the RB Room at the same time. This is a norm I’d like to see play out for a season while watching the development of Valladay and his future contribution to the backfield.

The Texans norm has never had a Pierce and Singletary in the RB Room at the same time. This is a norm I’d like to see play out for a season while watching the development of Valladay and his future contribution to the backfield.
IMO the best rushing year the Texans ever had was 2011 with Foster & Tate.

Arian Foster 278 carries for 1,224 yards - 4.40 YPC
Ben Tate 175 carries for 942 yards - 5.38 YPC

The Texans overall rushed for 2,448 yards with an average 4.48 YPC and a 153.0 YPG average.

If Pierce & Singletary even come close to matching that I would be in hog heaven.

The Texans overall rushed for 2,448 yards with an average 4.48 YPC and a 153.0 YPG average.

If Pierce & Singletary even come close to matching that I would be in hog heaven.
Some of that was by necessity as Andre Johnson missed half the season due to hamstring injuries and Matt Schaub had the season ending foot injury in game 10.

If you had Tate and a Singletary type FA on a one season $3 million contract, would you bring in Foster?

With Stroud being the QB, the more they run the ball the better. Although I certainly can see what you're saying. They probably are going into the season with a RB room of Pierce, Singletary, Boone and Valladay.

Quite the upgrade from last yr.

Right. Tampa Bay ran the most offensive plays last season (1,159). That's 68.1 plays per game. 16 teams averaged less than 60 plays per game. Some of these arguments and the numbers that get thrown out there are just downright silly at times.
I'll give your spreadsheet something to think about, would you rather have Pierce, Singletary running the the ball 35 times per game and Stroud throwing the ball 25 times per game, or the opposite with the 60 plays per game?

I'll give your spreadsheet something to think about, would you rather have Pierce, Singletary running the the ball 35 times per game and Stroud throwing the ball 25 times per game, or the opposite with the 60 plays per game?
Is that really a question?

No one in the league ran the ball 35 to 25 game in and game out (falcons and Bears were close) with 35 passes to 25 runs being close to the norm (and nearly exactly what the ratio was for the Texans). Only three teams ran the ball more than they threw it.

If you trying to the game off Stroud's shoulders 30 to 32 passes is the target range.

You pass to score, you run to win. If your at 35 runs and 25 passes at the end of a game it’s because you built a big lead and then pounded the rock. That’s not going to happen every game. If the score is 31 Colts, 17 Texans to start the 4th, are you just handing the ball off all quarter or are you opening it up and letting CJ sling it around the yard?

No one in the league ran the ball 35 to 25 game in and game out (falcons and Bears were close) with 35 passes to 25 runs being close to the norm (and nearly exactly what the ratio was for the Texans). Only three teams ran the ball more than they threw it.

If you trying to the game off Stroud's shoulders 30 to 32 passes is the target range.
Again, what does other teams history have to do with Slowik game plan in 2023?

What is Slowik's game plan in 2023?
Exactly but all indication is heavy run. That can mean anything or not even correct. I would think with JC and an average WR Corps at best plus the supposedly improved oline we see Pierce and Singletary banging a lot. Question is..
What is a lot?

Again, what does other teams history have to do with Slowik game plan in 2023?

Well, kinda everything. Slowik can't design a game plan that does not fit within the range of "game plans for all NFL teams." Other words, if no team in the modern NFL is running the ball 35 times a game on average, the design of any NFL team will fall in that range.

Well, kinda everything. Slowik can't design a game plan that does not fit within the range of "game plans for all NFL teams." Other words, if no team in the modern NFL is running the ball 35 times a game on average, the design of any NFL team will fall in that range.
What? Run the ball 9 x a quarter. I just designed one.

What? Run the ball 9 x a quarter. I just designed one.
Are you running on 3rd and 8? Teams will just put 8 men in the box.

Bottom line in regards to this thread, the Texans are not signing Dalvin Cook. They had to extend a so-so DT just to sign their draft picks, for crying out loud.

Reactions: JB
Exactly but all indication is heavy run. That can mean anything or not even correct. I would think with JC and an average WR Corps at best plus the supposedly improved oline we see Pierce and Singletary banging a lot. Question is..
What is a lot?

Dude, Slowik nor anyone else is running 50-60 ******* times a game. No one EVER has!! Teams barely run 60 total plays per game. What the hell?????

Reactions: JB
Dude, Slowik nor anyone else is running 50-60 ******* times a game. No one EVER has!! Teams barely run 60 total plays per game. What the hell?????
Last time and then I'm moving on: the message I am attempting to convey is we can utilize Pierce, Singletary and Dalvin Cook. That's all and here is how:
Bears in 2022 had 558 rushes in 17 games or ~33 per game. IIRC, another team had 559 so Bears were not exclusive.

Cooks avg 15 last year and had no complaints. He should be ok with that same number on any team if $ right.
Cooks 15

Pierce 10
Singletary 8

It can be done.

Last time and then I'm moving on: the message I am attempting to convey is we can utilize Pierce, Singletary and Dalvin Cook. That's all and here is how:
Bears in 2022 had 558 rushes in 17 games or ~33 per game. IIRC, another team had 559 so Bears were not exclusive.

Cooks avg 15 last year and had no complaints. He should be ok with that same number on any team if $ right.
Cooks 15

Pierce 10
Singletary 8

It can be done.
What kind of message does that send Pierce? Singletary? The rest of the young up & comers? Not to mention what kind of record did the Bears have? The Falcons?

What kind of message does that send Pierce? Singletary? The rest of the young up & comers? Not to mention what kind of record did the Bears have? The Falcons?
Has nothing to do with my point that all 3 can play here together.

Cooks 15

Pierce 10
Singletary 8

It can be done.

The only reason why the Bears had 558 rushing attempts is, because Justin Fields had 160 of those rushing attempts. I don't think anyone wants to see Stroud even attempt half of that.. I don't.

It's a passing league now. Stroud needs to develop into a elite passer. If they have to run the ball that much, then something is wrong with Stroud's development (not grasping the offense or something).

Why do we want Stroud to become Blake Bortles and pass for 132 yards a game?

My thoughts exactly.

Pass to set up the run or run to set up the pass but you gotta do both.

Strouds too accurate to put a leash on him, gonna make defenses hesitate once they get those quick short throw plays working.

I don't care what his stats are. He could be JimmyG for all I care. As long as he stays healthy & we win.

Sure, sure. There just seem to be people here who want to play the game like it was played 30 years ago, not how it is played now. It's a passing league. The Texans invested heavily in a passing QB. Not one that runs first. Every offense in the last 15 years that had 2,700+ yards rushing had a running QB.

Sure, sure. There just seem to be people here who want to play the game like it was played 30 years ago, not how it is played now. It's a passing league. The Texans invested heavily in a passing QB. Not one that runs first. Every offense in the last 15 years that had 2,700+ yards rushing had a running QB.
If that’s what they wanted, lol well we should’ve kept Lovie and his outdated system.

Back