Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Should the Texans sign Dalvin Cook?

Would love to get everyone's feedback on this. I think Cook would make an excellent addition to the Texans' backfield.

You don't like Pierce?

I'm hoping Pierce will be our starter at least through his rookie contract. I don't want to be spending 2nd contract money on a RB right now.

No, never give RB a big contract. Running backs have short careers.
Cook wants a big contract.

No, never give RB a big contract. Running backs have short careers.
Cook wants a big contract.
I wouldn’t say “never” it depends on your situation. The Vikings are being honest, they are in no position to pay a RB. It would make sense for the Chiefs, the Bills, 49ers, maybe the Rams. But they don’t “need” him.

maybe the Cowboys would be delusional enough to think he’s their answer, or some team like that, there’s always one.

Remember Cook is a FA. He’s got to want to come here. 1) that will likely be costly and 2) I don’t know if there’s enough footballs to go around with Pierce and Singletary. Not sure Houston would be the ideal spot from his POV.

I do like Pierce but fear his aggressive style will cost him games. So having depth in the room is important, but Cook ain’t coming here to be depth.

You don't like Pierce?

I'm hoping Pierce will be our starter at least through his rookie contract. I don't want to be spending 2nd contract money on a RB right now.
Yeah lol the same site backed this notion. Cook is great, but so is pierce. and Pierce doesn't need a new contract

Remember Cook is a FA. He’s got to want to come here. 1) that will likely be costly and 2) I don’t know if there’s enough footballs to go around with Pierce and Singletary. Not sure Houston would be the ideal spot from his POV.

I do like Pierce but fear his aggressive style will cost him games. So having depth in the room is important, but Cook ain’t coming here to be depth.
You do not think 20 plays per game average for Pierce, Cook and Singletary could happen if Cooks agreed to play here with a Slowik offense? I do.

ou do not think 20 plays per game average for Pierce, Cook and Singletary could happen if Cooks agreed to play here with a Slowik offense? I do.
How many touches a game do you think would be split 3 ways? Is Cook going to choose to come here for less than 10-15 touches a game?

How many touches a game do you think would be split 3 ways? Is Cook going to choose to come here for less than 10-15 touches a game?
As i just posted, he had 15 last year. With Pierce or S probably not playing 17 he could easily get 20-24. Better if our backs were spread out a bit.

He had 264 rushing attempts and 39 receptions last year in 17 games... can he get that many here? And he was the cear cut #1 back... 3 down back
Yes! In Slo's offense with a rookie QB 60 carries a game is below NFL average in 2022 IIRC top team had 69.
I'm fan of Pierce but with those three I can see a healthy rotation and an offense that would be a grinding, pounding fun experience. Even more so with all three having ability to surprise defense with a catch.

Darn, I've talked myself into increasing what I would offer Dalvin.

Yes! In Slo's offense with a rookie QB 60 carries a game is below NFL average in 2022 IIRC top team had 69.
I'm fan of Pierce but with those three I can see a healthy rotation and an offense that would be a grinding, pounding fun experience. Even more so with all three having ability to surprise defense with a catch.

I would love it if the Texans could have 120+ carries a game

The CBA giveth, and the CBA potentially taketh away. Under the rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Raiders used the franchise tag to keep running...

You are confusing plays from scrimmage with RB carries + receptions. The entire RB group will average around 30 carries + receptions a game.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk
ESPN, NFL.COM and following have him at 264 carries (hands on ball in a run play).

They must be confused.

ESPN, NFL.COM and following have him at 264 carries (hands on ball in a run play).

They must be confused.
The Vikings had a total of 404 for 17 games...
The Texans had a total of 398 for 17 games.
Which is way less than 60 per game

In your scenario/idea, are you saying the collective team could average 60 rushing attempts per game? If so, that would obliterate the NFL team record for rushing attempts in a season. The current record is 681 (1977); with 60 a game that's 1,020

Reactions: JB
What???

The most rushing attempts by an NFL team last season was 559. That's 32.8 rushing attempts per game. Whatever website you're getting your stats from, delete it from your bookmarks immediately.
Most teams can't get 65 offensive snaps a game

Last edited:
The Vikings had a total of 404 for 17 games...
The Texans had a total of 398 for 17 games.
Which is way less than 60 per game
And you think it's pertinent to compare Slowik offense to what we had last season? I thought it was common knowledge that we expected much increase and improved running game ? One link I posted earlier shows 60 carries a game is doable.

And you think it's pertinent to compare Slowik offense to what we had last season? I thought it was common knowledge that we expected much increase and improved running game ? One link I posted earlier shows 60 carries a game is doable.
San Francisco had an average of 61 plays per game last year. Houston had 59.7
How are you gonna get 60 carries a game? Never pass the ball at all?
That will ensure a top pick for Az for sure

In your scenario/idea, are you saying the collective team could average 60 rushing attempts per game? If so, that would obliterate the NFL team record for rushing attempts in a season. The current record is 681 (1977); with 60 a game that's 1,020
Let's try another way:
Dalvin had 264 carries in 2022 as stated in 3 links I provided above or just over 15 per game. 4 per quarter which is ridiculously low for RB of his ability. He made no complaints that I am aware of and if not cut probably would get same this season. In theory if $ was right, he should accept same here.

If Pierce and Singletary got same, that's 15 per game x 3 backs: 45 rushes per game and 12 per quarter. I cannot see how that is not possible especially when at least one of those facts is going to miss some games..

Cooks 15
Pierce 12
Singletary 8

Is even more possible. Having said that I don't see Dalvin coming to Houston.

Let's try another way:
Dalvin had 264 carries in 2022 as stated in 3 links I provided above or just over 15 per game. 4 per quarter which is ridiculously low for RB of his ability. He made no complaints that I am aware of and if not cut probably would get same this season. In theory if $ was right, he should accept same here.

If Pierce and Singletary got same, that's 15 per game x 3 backs: 45 rushes per game and 12 per quarter. I cannot see how that is not possible especially when at least one of those facts is going to miss some games..

Cooks 15
Pierce 12
Singletary 8

That is a far cry from

One link I posted earlier shows 60 carries a game is doable.

Let's try another way:

Cooks 15
Pierce 12
Singletary 8

35 is doable.

Back