Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sexual Assault Suits Against Watson

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
@Texansballer74 has part of the explanation. The other part is that Watson has not been placed in a position of actually playing in a game. If that were to change, he would find himself immediately on the CEL. If a trade were even allowed by the League, at the first sign that the receiving team would try to play him, he would immediately find himself on the CEL.

I'm not going to go into all previous issues, but Michael Vick was busted upon a search warrant on April 25, 2007............he was not suspended until August 24, at which time he finally admitted to all of his involvement in the dog fighting business.
What benefit does the NFL and Goodell get out of remaining “quiet”….unless the Texans decided to play or trade him…..”then” and only then he would step in and put him on CEL?

Why couldn’t the NFL and Goodell put him on CEL right now? Or for that matter, put him on CEL at the start of the season? Certainly nothing new, information wise, has been presented other than just a bunch of media related posturing which doesn’t confirm anything one way or another.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Simply, for what he see as a potential PR hit, Goodell wants someone else to make the decision for him by making a move.
That sounds like a convenient excuse, but doesn't really make sense. Not to me anyway.

It's a PR hit as is. & another when whatever comes out & it's realized they waited so long to act.

The endorsers, imo have the right idea. Act now. & if they're proven wrong, kiss & make up.

OptimisticTexan

Simply, for what he see as a potential PR hit, Goodell wants someone else to make the decision for him by making a move.
What PR hit would the NFL / Goodell suffer by putting Watson the CEL as I’m typing this? To be quite honest…..they’ve been taking a PR hit on this matter for their silence and position of no action.

Of course, the NFL / Goodell will take action when they have a guaranteed guilty verdict coming down the pike in the extremely near future.

Hail, if I’m making decisions for McNair and Caserio…..get his arse suited up and announce he’s the starter next week. One thing they’d get from that….Goodell’s true position and/or Watson’s true position. Goodell either puts him on CEL immediately or the Texans suspend Watson without pay for actions detrimental to the team if he refuses to suit up. Either way this is a win for the Texans. Oh, and if Goodell allows Watson to trot his arse onto the field of play…..Texans could go ahead and trade him the moment a solid trade proposal is made b/c needy teams would come knocking.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I also think prosecutors would be pushing this case much faster if they felt it was a slam dunk guilty verdict due to strong physical evidence.

The slow road this case is currently on probably has a more to do with a lack of physical evidence and the witnesses not all being on the same page. There may be questions as to why all 22 victims didn’t come forward to file criminal charges. Some of these victims may not be as squeaky clean as presented and may not be good witnesses on the stand.

Another thing to take into consideration is Watson doesn't have any criminal history and has a solid track record of contributing financially to the community.

Personally, I just don’t think there’s enough physical evidence to lock Watson away for any length of time. I know others have mentioned this but I feel it okay to mention again…..Watson at worst gets probation and community service…..at best is found innocent and goes back to work. The civil case side of this wouldn’t affect Watson’s work schedule except when a court case date is assigned and Hardin could request that this case is heard in the off-season.
It takes time to investigate 22 complains.

The FBI getting involved cant be good for the Sexual Predator

What does his image/record have to do with guilt or innocence?

At best case? So turning an obvious Sexual Predator, (Whether he committed sexual assault or not) loose on society is a best case scenario?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Texans can only suspend him for 10 games... it would be smarter to wait until week 7 and then suspend him and void his contract

It would seem wise to suspend him prior to a trade as his play time could effect draft capital in any deal. Let's bite the bullet since we're not playing him anyway and get more back.

OptimisticTexan

It takes time to investigate 22 complains.

The FBI getting involved cant be good for the Sexual Predator

What does his image/record have to do with guilt or innocence?

At best case? So turning an obvious Sexual Predator, (Whether he committed sexual assault or not) loose on society is a best case scenario?
Has he been found guilty in a court of law at this moment? If not, he’s none of the things you mentioned above…..just your early and personal verdict being given.

As with most cases in which a first time offender has been found guilty of a misdemeanor or felony…..past actions have been taken into account when deciding the level of punishment. At least that’s how Hardin would try to present it.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That sounds like a convenient excuse, but doesn't really make sense. Not to me anyway.

It's a PR hit as is. & another when whatever comes out & it's realized they waited so long to act.

The endorsers, imo have the right idea. Act now. & if they're proven wrong, kiss & make up.
It hasn't traditionally worked that way. Michael Vick for example, after losing all of his endorsements, was re-endorsed after he showed that he was contrite, served what he admitted was a deserving punishment and worked hard to get respect back, only by Nike.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Has he been found guilty in a court of law at this moment? If not, he’s none of the things you mentioned above…..just your early and personal verdict being given.

As with most cases in which a first time offender has been found guilty of a misdemeanor or felony…..past actions have been taken into account when deciding the level of punishment. At least that’s how Hardin would try to present it.
Right now the DA is trying to decide whether to bring charges of Sexual Assault. Even if they dont bring charges of Sexual Assault, he's still been preying on women on line and doing things that have made some of the women uncomfortable. He's admitted to doing this in texts I've seen.

So my question is, after what you've seen in his texts and the fact that he was still doing these things after he knew complaints had been filed, do you want a guy with his obvious perversions turned loose on your daughters/sisters etc...

I know I dont

powda

That’s actually not how HPD works at all. Anyways, the GJ has many criminal aspects to address. And they will not notify the media of a date that they are meeting

You're welcome to tell me what the court system does and how I'm wrong. @Corrosion eluded to just that and I don't presume to know everything. We're all just speculating with a fraction of the evidence. But don't think for a second you can tell me what a pd does. I have 22 years in so I'm just a Lil familiar.

Understand, every da involved is culpable for any dw act after criminal claims. And they know that. If there was substantial evidence he would already be in custody.

powda

Right now the DA is trying to decide whether to bring charges of Sexual Assault. Even if they dont bring charges of Sexual Assault, he's still been preying on women on line and doing things that have made some of the women uncomfortable. He's admitted to doing this in texts I've seen.

So my question is, after what you've seen in his texts and the fact that he was still doing these things after he knew complaints had been filed, do you want a guy with his obvious perversions turned loose on your daughters/sisters etc...

I know I dont

Uncomfortable and criminal are not the same.

You know the answer to your question about daughters and sisters. Nobody's comfortable with that but it means f all in court.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Uncomfortable and criminal are not the same.

You know the answer to your question about daughters and sisters. Nobody's comfortable with that but it means f all in court.
If it goes to court if I'm a juror whether is you or him, I wouldn't let you back on the street without doing some time.

We will see where the FBI investigation leads. This is what's slowing down the DA. IMHO

powda

If it goes to court if I'm a juror whether is you or him, I wouldn't let you back on the street without doing some time.

We will see where the FBI investigation leads. This is what's slowing down the DA. IMHO

The fbi is investigating extortion claims on the part of dw against a "victim." I don't think it's slowing down much.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're welcome to tell me what the court system does and how I'm wrong. @Corrosion eluded to just that and I don't presume to know everything. We're all just speculating with a fraction of the evidence. But don't think for a second you can tell me what a pd does. I have 22 years in so I'm just a Lil familiar.

Understand, every da involved is culpable for any dw act after criminal claims. And they know that. If there was substantial evidence he would already be in custody.
I would hope the last sentence is correct, in this political climate and with the FBI investigations currently going on, I've my doubts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It would seem wise to suspend him prior to a trade as his play time could effect draft capital in any deal. Let's bite the bullet since we're not playing him anyway and get more back.
I can definitely see a case for waiting until after week 7.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Have you not been negative about dw for years far prior to this escapade? Everybody knows it. Just acknowledge it.
Yes, I dont like him as a person or a player.

I certainly dont like the fact that he's a Sexual Predator who may be/eventually will be turned loose on society. You dont seem to have an issue with this and like I said upthread it doesn't matter if he's found guilty or not, he's still a sexual predator. I guess this is just a sign of the times we live in.

powda

Yes, I dont like him as a person or a player.

I certainly dont like the fact that he's a Sexual Predator who may be/eventually will be turned loose on society. You dont seem to have an issue with this and like I said upthread it doesn't matter if he's found guilty or not, he's still a sexual predator. I guess this is just a sign of the times we live in.

No trial. No conviction. Would you like him to wear a shirt with a scarlet letter?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No trial. No conviction. Would you like him to wear a shirt with a scarlet letter?
I think he should do time for the safety of society.

But to answer your question, fans should give him the Vick treatment and speaking of this, where's all of the METOO'ers

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because the media told you and you don't like him? Let's just erase him with anti aircraft guns like North Korea.

Wow.

Your sense of justice is all kinds of fucked up.
The media didn't tell me sh!t. The texts told me all I need to know.

So you're on record that you've got no problem with a sexual predator being turned loose on society?

powda

The media didn't tell me sh!t. The texts told me all I need to know.

So you're on record that you've got no problem with a sexual predator being turned loose on society?
Did I say that?

I think everyone deserves a trial. I'm not going to convict him before that.

I think we know where you stand on the matter.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Did I say that?

I think everyone deserves a trial. I'm not going to convict him before that.

I think we know where you stand on the matter.
I've said many times I'm fine with a trial, I'm also asking you if he isn't covicted of sexual assault, what do you do with a guy who's obviously a sexual predator? I'm looking forward to your reply.

powda

I've said many times I'm fine with a trial, I'm also asking you if he isn't convicted of sexual assault, what do you do with a guy who's obviously a sexual predator?
I want you to read your own words and ask yourself if you implied guilt. You did.

You've hated dw for years for his on field performance. You weren't always wrong about how he played despite feedback from this site. Now that there's some question about his character you've latched onto it like a parasite.

Your agenda is transparent and anyone who's been here a minute sees it.

You could be right or wrong about him. A trial will follow and tell all.

In the meantime, stop gloating like you knew it all along. I hope you never serve on a jury.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Do we know that's why the FBI is involved?

Not being argumentative, but I remember Hardin saying they were asking about the extortion angle.

Yes , that has been confirmed .... May not be reported by the media but that's why the Feds are involved.

Extortion is a state level offense. Any "extortion" over $50 in value is a felony in Texas and is punishable by up to $10,000 in fines & 5 to 99 years in prison. (Section 31.01 of the Texas Penal Code) Its considered "theft by coercion".
Essentially , there's no need to involve the Feds when its covered by a state statute .... its internet communications that got the feds involved. The State doesn't regulate the internet - That's federal jurisdiction.

I thought Hardin was talking about the earlier claimant who wanted $30 K before Hardin was hired? I do not see that as extortion attempt but maybe more to it than known? I see FBI involved as you say due to communications/travel.
That is what Hardin was referring to .... but If it was against the law for lawyers to offer financial settlements ..... every last one of them would be in jail.

That was Harden doing damage control to keep the optics in favor of his client.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I want you to read your own words and ask yourself if you implied guilt. You did.

You've hated dw for years for his on field performance. You weren't always wrong about how he played despite feedback from this site. Now that there's some question about his character you've latched onto it like a parasite.

Your agenda is transparent and anyone who's been here a minute sees it.

You could be right or wrong about him. A trial will follow and tell all.

In the meantime, stop gloating like you knew it all along. I hope you never serve on a jury.
I've always said I didn't like him as a player.

Now I dont like him as a person, I've said my opinion that his selfish play on the field carried over to his personal life. Why did I think this way? Because Momma Watson called up Momma McNair and told herif the Texans would trade that immoral Hopkins was a bad influence on her boy. Why do you think Momma Watson made that call?

This isn't an agenda, this is what happened. It's possible to not like a guy and point out facts like these, yet not have an agenda. I started this thread, even though it doesn't show it, and I got this reaction, look who started this thread, STB has an agenda. LMAO, I just put out there news that I had read. Turns out maybe I'm not the poster with an agenda. BTW, speaking of agendas, exact agenda do I have? Not liking a guyas a person or a player isn't having an agenda.

powda

I've always said I didn't like him as a player.

Now I dont like him as a person, I've said my opinion that his selfish play on the field carried over to his personal life. Why did I think this way? Because Momma Watson called up Momma McNair and told herif the Texans would trade that immoral Hopkins was a bad influence on her boy. Why do you think Momma Watson made that call?

This isn't an agenda, this is what happened. It's possible to not like a guy and point out facts like these, yet not have an agenda. I started this thread, even though it doesn't show it, and I got this reaction, look who started this thread, STB has an agenda. LMAO, I just put out there news that I had read. Turns out maybe I'm not the poster with an agenda. BTW, speaking of agendas, exact agenda do I have? Not liking a guyas a person or a player isn't having an agenda.

You sir are smashed and I'd love to drink what your having. Let's re-convine tomorrow with clearer heads.

Watson isn't guilty until a commite of his peers decides so in a court of law. Sleep on that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You sir are smashed and I'd love to drink what your having. Let's re-convine tomorrow with clearer heads.

Watson isn't guilty until a commite of his peers decides so in a court of law. Sleep on that.
That we agree on, hopefully the jurors will realize who/what they are releasing on society. BTW, I'm sober tonight.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame

There's 0 chance you would ever qualify as a juror for his case... If Hardin is worth a dime...

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
True, If I was Hardin I would vote to keep me off of the jury.

I dont care for sexual predators roaming the internet. Do you?
Anyone who believes in the American justice system should vote to keep you off the jury. Your question is irrelevant to the jury topic.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Texans can only suspend him for 10 games... it would be smarter to wait until week 7 and then suspend him and void his contract

I believe its only 6 games that the team is allowed to suspend him for "each incident".

Essentially it takes two suspensions of that magnitude to stop Watson from accruing a year of service.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

This isn't the typical first offender with a single victim , this is more than 20 victims .... Don't see how Hardin can downplay that fact and extract some form of leniency.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I believe its only 6 games that the team is allowed to suspend him for "each incident".

Essentially it takes two suspensions of that magnitude to stop Watson from accruing a year of service.
Boo

This is something that needs to be corrected in the next CBA.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
It would seem (to me) that if they have grounds to suspend him, they have grounds to terminate his contract
At this point , they have neither.

He's showing up .... and they haven't put any pressure on him to play. No breach of contract on that level.

For his conduct to be a justifiable reason for termination , he'd have to be convicted criminally ... That's a possibility but down the road a piece.

badboy

Hall of Fame
At this point , they have neither.

He's showing up .... and they haven't put any pressure on him to play. No breach of contract on that level.

For his conduct to be a justifiable reason for termination , he'd have to be convicted criminally ... That's a possibility but down the road a piece.
I don't think that's what the CBA says. Page 359 and I quote you have engaged in personal conduct which in reasonable Judgment of the club adversely affects or reflects on the club.

That is in appendix h under notice of termination.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I don't think that's what the CBA says. Page 359 and I quote you have engaged in personal conduct which in reasonable Judgment of the club adversely affects or reflects on the club.

That is in appendix h under notice of termination.
And that personal conduct has to be proven - what proof do you have of that conduct until a conviction is handed down ?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm reciting claims from Watson's own attorney prevalent in numerous on line articles.
I'm telling you what I know to be absolute fact - Those claims by Hardin are false.

Tell me why the FBI would bother to indulge in something they have no jurisdiction over ? (A state level offense).

You of all people should be able to see thru that .... jurisdiction local / state / federal.

powda

I'm telling you what I know to be absolute fact - Those claims by Hardin are false.

Tell me why the FBI would bother to indulge in something they have no jurisdiction over ? (A state level offense).

You of all people should be able to see thru that .... jurisdiction local / state / federal.
You mean unless state offenses cross state borders. Which it reportedly did giving them jurisdiction and reason to act.