• Up

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • Down

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Right or wrong JJ will go down in history as one of the best to ever play the game because of his never quit mentality. I have full confidence JJ will come back next season and be just as dominate as he has been in the past.

The whole Dline should be working out with JJ. Hard for the opponent to win with no QB ;) !
But will he be looked back on having had a long and productive career or an untimely short and productive career? It's extremely difficult to go the HOF on a short career.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
That's pretty much my point. I wouldn't say he plays bad. But I would say that he isn't truly suited for the strong side role, so we aren't maximizing what we can get from him by giving him those responsibilities. He is far more effective as a pure pass rusher.

The only issue I've had with playing both guys at the same time is that it limits what coverages we can run and it puts tremendous pressure on the ILBs. They still have to be the primary cleanup guys in the run game and now they have to take on extra responsibility in coverage, because the guy next to them is subpar in that category.

It's just a difference in philosophy. I prefer a more well rounded player at the strong side spot.
I prefer certain types of guys too, however, as a coach you have to be versatile and be able to mold your system and adjust it to your personnel.

Not going to list out what adjustments I think they can make to get both guys involved in the pass rush along with Watt, but I don't think having both clowney and Mercilus start has to be an issue.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
But will he be looked back on having had a long and productive career or an untimely short and productive career? It's extremely difficult to go the HOF on a short career.
I'm sure he will have a long productive career, he does all the right things to make sure his body is a 100%.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm sure he will have a long productive career, he does all the right things to make sure his body is a 100%.
I hope that's the case, but take note of what the good doctor said about overworking causing degenerative and chronic issues.

bah007

Hall of Fame
I prefer certain types of guys too, however, as a coach you have to be versatile and be able to mold your system and adjust it to your personnel.

Not going to list out what adjustments I think they can make to get both guys involved in the pass rush along with Watt, but I don't think having both clowney and Mercilus start has to be an issue.
That's true to a point but not absolutely. At the high school level we do not get to choose our players. So we are always adapting what we do to fit what we have.

But at the NFL level that's not a necessity for all. For example, Pete Carroll runs a specific scheme on defense and picks his players for the system. If a player does not fit a role in the system Carroll doesn't bring him in.

Romeo has shown versatility in the past so I don't think he is that stuck on a specific scheme. I think he reverts to a specific style because it's most comfortable to him, but I don't think he's married to it.

I don't think it has to be an issue either. For example, if they wanted to mix in some four man fronts, a DL of Mercilus, Covington, Watt, and Clowney could be very dangerous in passing situations.

What I'm worried about is trying to mix the two into the current 34 system without making adjustments. I think that kind of scheme could be effective but would only work situationally, because it's really closer to a 52 than it is to a 34, regardless of where guys are lining up.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
That's true to a point but not absolutely. At the high school level we do not get to choose our players. So we are always adapting what we do to fit what we have.

But at the NFL level that's not a necessity for all. .
I agree it's not a necessity. Texans could have absolutely chosen different types of guys.

However......it's still not an exact science. What I mean is that you can't always predict who your best players will end up being for the immediate year or in the future. Part of coaching is adjusting in the short and long term.

Remember...this staff didn't pick Mercilus. Until vrabel started working with him he didn't really look all that hot. Clowney was their first pick. Once Mercilus starts coming a long that's not something they could automatically bank on. I think the play was to have merciless in a reserve/specialty type role until he showed he deserved to start.

Well now it's either trade one or make it work. If they aren't going to trade one at this point their only option is to make it work in some capacity.

Same thing in high school. If a kid transfers to your school or you have a freshman come in or a guy comes back over the summer and they are unexpectedly better then as a coach you want to maximize that talent.

All that said, I don't believe merciless was bad playing with clowney. I think clowney has the better potential as a weak side player and I think that's why they kept bumping merciless out but if clowney can't stay healthy it's moot anyways.

In this draft I'd look for a more versatile OLB that can step in on the strong side just in case.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree it's not a necessity. Texans could have absolutely chosen different types of guys.

However......it's still not an exact science. What I mean is that you can't always predict who your best players will end up being for the immediate year or in the future. Part of coaching is adjusting in the short and long term.

Remember...this staff didn't pick Mercilus. Until vrabel started working with him he didn't really look all that hot. Clowney was their first pick. Once Mercilus starts coming a long that's not something they could automatically bank on. I think the play was to have merciless in a reserve/specialty type role until he showed he deserved to start.

Well now it's either trade one or make it work. If they aren't going to trade one at this point their only option is to make it work in some capacity.

Same thing in high school. If a kid transfers to your school or you have a freshman come in or a guy comes back over the summer and they are unexpectedly better then as a coach you want to maximize that talent.

All that said, I don't believe merciless was bad playing with clowney. I think clowney has the better potential as a weak side player and I think that's why they kept bumping merciless out but if clowney can't stay healthy it's moot anyways.

In this draft I'd look for a more versatile OLB that can step in on the strong side just in case.

I get what you're saying but I think Simon will play the role of backup SAM. Draft capital probably will be spent on the offensive side of the ball and hopefully getting Wilfork/Watt some help on the DL.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I get what you're saying but I think Simon will play the role of backup SAM. Draft capital probably will be spent on the offensive side of the ball and hopefully getting Wilfork/Watt some help on the DL.
They need to add a safety also

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I have no idea what the team will do. Just saying what I would do.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am ok with 6 we have at that position but do have us getting a good pickup in 6th on my mock in draft forum.

Edit: talking about safety

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They need to add a safety also
Yes,

Balentine making it back and playing like he was before he got hurt would make this defense dangerous. He's exactly what they should be looking for in the draft.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Yes,

Balentine making it back and playing like he was before he got hurt would make this defense dangerous. He's exactly what they should be looking for in the draft.
Who are you recommending?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Micheal Caputo,

Big can play in the box or deep. You cant use him as a single high S but he's a very smart player who's good in coverage.
What do you think of Justin Simmons? Yeah we should talk this in the draft forum

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What do you think of Justin Simmons? Yeah we should talk this in the draft forum
I'm not real high on him because I'm not sure how he would fit next to Hal. You need a physical presence next to Hal and I just dont think Simmons is that guy.

Reactions: JB

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans' Christian Covington looking forward to second NFL season
By Aaron Wilson

Published 5:37 pm, Wednesday, May 18, 2016
Covington is expected to have an increased role as he competes for the starting 3-4 defensive end spot vacated by Jared Crick.

Christian Covington spent his rookie season with the Texans establishing himself as a quick presence across the line of scrimmage.

Although the former Rice standout defensive lineman didn't play a ton of snaps as he operated in a rotation, Covington flashed power, versatility and an ability to defeat blocks and penetrate the backfield.

The sixth-round draft pick finished the season with two sacks, four tackles for losses, four quarterback hits and eight tackles.

Now, the native of Vancouver, British Columbia is preparing for his second NFL season and is expected to have an increased role as he competes for the starting 3-4 defensive end spot vacated by Jared Crick after he signed a two-year, $4 million contract with the Denver Broncos.

"I'm willing to play any position they put me at," Covington said. "Whether that's nose tackle or defensive end, I want to compete to the best of my abilities. Football brings about good, fun competition, especially with the whole team."

An All-Conference USA selection who declared early for the draft after dealing with a knee injury in college that required surgery, Covington lined up everywhere from a pure nose tackle spot to defensive end last season. Covington is athletic with 4.89 speed in the 40-yard dash, a 30 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 9-3 broad jump and bench pressing 225 pounds 24 times. Covington is up to 310 pounds, but has maintained his speed.

Covington settled in as a rookie and is looking forward to his second NFL season.

"Absolutely, to be able to have that rookie year under my belt, I now know what's required of me to be able to get the job done," Covington said. "When it comes to camp or game time, it's great to be going into my second season."

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I have very high expectations for Covington this season. I think he's going to have a breakout year on this defense and be more than "just a guy" on D.

mussop

Hall of Fame
He definitely flashed last year. Hopefully he can replace Crick and actually be an improvement. Crick just didn't make enough impactful plays for someone opposite of JJ.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He definitely flashed last year. Hopefully he can replace Crick and actually be an improvement. Crick just didn't make enough impactful plays for someone opposite of JJ.
I wouldn't have broke the bank on him, but I'd have tried to keep him. Rick needs to get better at keeping guys like Crick.

He signed a two year $2M deal with Denver, how much more would it cost to keep him?

We'd be better off with Crick, Covington, & Still rotating opposite JJ Watt, maybe backing up Jj Watt if need be.

But hey... the coaches know. They obviously feel Covington can match Crick's day in day out, every down attitude.

All I'm saying, if the best defense in the league can see paying Jared Crick $2M/yr, why can't we?

I know most of you don't see it this way, but my GM should have been able to sell him on the Texans to keep him for similar money.

Heck, he got their QB for an extra $2M. Surely he could have kept Crick for an extra $500k or so.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't have broke the bank on him, but I'd have tried to keep him. Rick needs to get better at keeping guys like Crick.

He signed a two year $2M deal with Denver, how much more would it cost to keep him?

We'd be better off with Crick, Covington, & Still rotating opposite JJ Watt, maybe backing up Jj Watt if need be.

But hey... the coaches know. They obviously feel Covington can match Crick's day in day out, every down attitude.

All I'm saying, if the best defense in the league can see paying Jared Crick $2M/yr, why can't we?

I know most of you don't see it this way, but my GM should have been able to sell him on the Texans to keep him for similar money.

Heck, he got their QB for an extra $2M. Surely he could have kept Crick for an extra $500k or so.
It ain't always about money

Number19

Hall of Fame
He's up to 310 lbs? If he's to stay at NT, fine. But if he's moving to DE, he may need to drop 20 pounds. Says he's kept his speed but I'd be more concerned about his quickness, and 10 yd burst. He'll figure it out in camp. I expect him to win the position battle and to have a marked increase in production, over Crick, this next season

Brandon420tx

Flounder
But if he went up to 310 while maintaining that quickness and burst he'll be a downright force. Plus the weight will help him vs. the run and that might be all Crennel wants out of the other DE spot

sandman

Brexit Advisor
But if he went up to 310 while maintaining that quickness and burst he'll be a downright force. Plus the weight will help him vs. the run and that might be all Crennel wants out of the other DE spot
He is listed as 6'2" and 290. Now at 310. I'm an inch shorter and 100 pounds skinnier. Sometimes it is hard to imagine the physiques these guys are able to maintain. Granted I'm mid-40's, but the only way I would ever get that much weight on my frame is with daily trips to Hometown Buffet on a Hoveround.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He's up to 310 lbs? If he's to stay at NT, fine. But if he's moving to DE, he may need to drop 20 pounds. Says he's kept his speed but I'd be more concerned about his quickness, and 10 yd burst. He'll figure it out in camp. I expect him to win the position battle and to have a marked increase in production, over Crick, this next season
It depends on what he looks like. If it's spare tire weight, lower body power kinda weight, probably so. But if it's the thick, stocky, top to bottom evened out kinda weight, not so much.

Hervoyel

BUENO!

My guess is because we know him and they don't. At least I hope that's what it is about.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
My guess is because we know him and they don't. At least I hope that's what it is about.
FA's go play for their old coaches all the time. This is pretty norm for the NFL. It's not like Kubes hasn't gotten some of his old players the last two years and Crick was the first. And he won't be the last. There is nothing inherently special about Crick that the Broncos saw and no one else did.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I believe that Crick was let go because he seldom could take advantage of all the one-on-one matchups he was afforded.
In other words they wanted to upgrade the position which makes sense to me, but what doesn't is them not drafting a player to
replace Crick. Why not use just use a 4th round or 5th round pick. What I find confusing is it looks like they are left with Covington and others on a roster of players that Crick beat out for the starting job last year, therefor one could argue the position that Crick vacated has regressed.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
In other words they wanted to upgrade the position which makes sense to me, but what doesn't is them not drafting a player to
replace Crick. Why not use just use a 4th round or 5th round pick. What I find confusing is it looks like they are left with Covington and others on a roster of players that Crick beat out for the starting job last year, therefor one could argue the position that Crick vacated has regressed.
Or they like Covington's progression more than Crick's and feel where Covington will be in 2016 is better than any 4th or 5th rounder in this draft.

Not saying anyone has to agree with any of that, but if the idea is to look for reasoning.

badboy

Hall of Fame

i think bold is answering your own question as Smith thought OS worth it and Crick not. He also did not draft to fill spot so team eval is different than ours. It seems too big a gamble to bet on a vet who can start to be cut and end up on roster so Smith is satisfied with Covington and Devon or he is a better poker player than I think.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Covington was a rookie. Some opined he was a bargain where we got him & that he slid due to injury. He's also young & supposedly still growing.

Maybe they drafted Crick's replacement last year. Like Kjohnson is Jjo's replacement & Reeder is Wilfork's replacement.

i think bold is answering your own question as Smith thought OS worth it and Crick not. He also did not draft to fill spot so team eval is different than ours. It seems too big a gamble to bet on a vet who can start to be cut and end up on roster so Smith is satisfied with Covington and Devon or he is a better poker player than I think.
It helps our depth if we can retain players like Crick for $2M/yr.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I think we all agree 2M/year is cheap for an NFL starter. But just like Ben Jones, it's obvious the Texans didn't care to retain those guys. My guess is BOB wanted to go a different direction and simply told Rick to let those guys walk. We'll have to wait and see if it was the right decision.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Covington was a rookie. Some opined he was a bargain where we got him & that he slid due to injury. He's also young & supposedly still growing.

Maybe they drafted Crick's replacement last year. Like Kjohnson is Jjo's replacement & Reeder is Wilfork's replacement.

Come on TK, they obviously believe they have enough depth without Crick. They did not want him even at $2 m. They have a plan whether we see it or not.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Crick showed flashes his freshman (sophomore?) Year and did nothing since.

How many guys get the opportunity to play opposite a potential nfl mvp? Whatever production he got was in part to watt. And he's still a jag? You can pay a guy like crick 2m if you want but why not pay less if you get the same production from someone cheaper?

Crick opposite of watt did what he did. He's probably not even a jag. A jag would've produced more then crick did.

Reactions: ROO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

How many guys get the opportunity to play opposite a potential nfl mvp? Whatever production he got was in part to watt. And he's still a jag? You can pay a guy like crick 2m if you want but why not pay less if you get the same production from someone cheaper?

Crick opposite of watt did what he did. He's probably not even a jag. A jag would've produced more then crick did.
It appears that RAC/BOB agree with this assessment.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Personally, I have a problem when we talk about the guy opposite Jj.

What are we talking about? Are we saying the guy should have double digit sacks like Whitney Mercilus, or are we saying the guy should have between 5 & 10 sacks like Antonio Smith?

I think other "DE" in our system should be getting between 5 & 10 sacks, along with all the other things that go with that kind of number; QB pressures, Tackles, TFLs. Crick fell short. However, I thought Antonio earned his money when he was in that 5 & 10 sack range & he was making $8M/yr.

"We" "always" complain that this team has no depth. To me, to fix that problem we need to sign guys like Crick, Barwin, Reed in that $2M~$3M range (I know some of those guys got more, so this is more specifically about Crick) & have a guy threatening to take his spot (Covington/Still).

Maybe the coaches feel Covington can & will slide over & be that 2 to 5 sack guy at minimum, & Still can be the guy threatening to take his spot. I'm fine with that, just taking a wait & see approach. I'd still rather have Crick at $2M & the possibility of Covington & Still beating him out (Still hasn't suited up in over a year).

If we sign a post June 1st cut who is a 2 to 5 sack guy... great. We might save a little money (league minimum is $885K for a four year vet) but that's still more bird in the bush kind of stuff.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Personally, I have a problem when we talk about the guy opposite Jj.

What are we talking about? Are we saying the guy should have double digit sacks like Whitney Mercilus, or are we saying the guy should have between 5 & 10 sacks like Antonio Smith?

I think other "DE" in our system should be getting between 5 & 10 sacks, along with all the other things that go with that kind of number; QB pressures, Tackles, TFLs. Crick fell short. However, I thought Antonio earned his money when he was in that 5 & 10 sack range & he was making $8M/yr.

"We" "always" complain that this team has no depth. To me, to fix that problem we need to sign guys like Crick, Barwin, Reed in that $2M~$3M range (I know some of those guys got more, so this is more specifically about Crick) & have a guy threatening to take his spot (Covington/Still).

Maybe the coaches feel Covington can & will slide over & be that 2 to 5 sack guy at minimum, & Still can be the guy threatening to take his spot. I'm fine with that, just taking a wait & see approach. I'd still rather have Crick at $2M & the possibility of Covington & Still beating him out (Still hasn't suited up in over a year).

If we sign a post June 1st cut who is a 2 to 5 sack guy... great. We might save a little money (league minimum is $885K for a four year vet) but that's still more bird in the bush kind of stuff.
Crick wont be hard to replace. He's an avg/rotational depth piece. I see Wilfork playing 25% of run downs at DE with Reader at NT, if Reader is what we hope he is. (That's about 10 plays a game at DE. I see Pagan/ Heath/FA playing the other 15/20 run downs at DE. On passing downs you will see a bunch of Mercilus/Covington/Watt/Clowney.

I just dont see replacing Crick as a big deal. Certainly not on the level of replacing Barwin/Reed and especially Quin. But I can understand why you are gun shy when it comes to the texans letting their own walk in FA.