• Up

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • Down

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm sorry wtf? Gary Walker played 3-4 DE in Houston.
Gary Walker played the position JJ is allowed to play. They moved him around quite a bit. Crick played the LDE only. He was taken out in obvious passing situations. Walker not so much.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Crick was never the same player after he tore his pec in college. 10 sacks as a SO. 10 sacks as a JR. Then injured his senior year and never returned to form.

Don't know if the injury was specifically the issue, because he seemed to hold up against the run just fine. But he was never the same threat as a pass rusher.

Reactions: JB

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Has it ever been said what they expect from the DE opposite Watt?

I know I've heard the last regime and this regime say they allow Watt a lot of freedom to make plays.

Could be they want the other DE to play more traditional/fundamental.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Crick was never the same player after he tore his pec in college. 10 sacks as a SO. 10 sacks as a JR. Then injured his senior year and never returned to form.

Don't know if the injury was specifically the issue, because he seemed to hold up against the run just fine. But he was never the same threat as a pass rusher.
Didn't Suh also leave after his jr year?

bah007

Hall of Fame
Didn't Suh also leave after his jr year?
I believe Suh left two years before him.

I remember Crick getting some 1st/2nd round hype before the injury, especially after his junior year because I'm pretty sure Suh wasn't next to him anymore to steal all the double teams.

Then he drops to the 4th round and we take him. I wouldn't call him a bust, but like usual, the guy we took coming off injury never became the player we wanted him to be.

I know I b*tch about that way too often but it has been an alarming trend with this franchise.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Has it ever been said what they expect from the DE opposite Watt?

I know I've heard the last regime and this regime say they allow Watt a lot of freedom to make plays.

Could be they want the other DE to play more traditional/fundamental.
I've read multiple times, on the Internet and in the Chronicle, that this position's responsibility is to tie up multiple blockers and to contain the run, freeing up the linebackers to make the plays.

IMO, if we get 5 sacks, and with consistent QB pressure, while excelling at the primary responsibilities, this is what our coaches are looking for. Crick performed the primary responsibilities very well, but they are looking for a little more pressure on the QB. Covington has more quickness and short burst than Crick. If he can perform the primary reaponsibilities as well as Crick, then we should see upgraded performance from the position this coming season. Or whoever wins the starters role.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I've read multiple times, on the Internet and in the Chronicle, that this position's responsibility is to tie up multiple blockers and to contain the run, freeing up the linebackers to make the plays.
That is of course the traditional role of the DE in the 3-4 while the OLBs from the edge are the primary pass rushers.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Anybody been paying attention to him? How is he playing? Haven't been paying as close attention to games but I don't recall any flash plays from him.

PapaL

Loose Screw
He looked better last year. Been MIA this year. Short of his responsibilities changing; disrupt vs occupy blockers. Can't remember an impact play at all.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
christian.covingtonVerified

• christian.covingtonThis man gave up his Corvette from his football days to start a family. Consider this returning the favor haha!! Dad, thank you for raising me and being there for me and my sisters throughout every sacrifice that you had to make, and every obstacle and trial that was thrown yours and moms way. This is the least that we could do to say thank you for everything that you’ve done. Happy Birthday!!! 62 looks good on you!!!

PapaL

Loose Screw
christian.covingtonVerified

• christian.covingtonThis man gave up his Corvette from his football days to start a family. Consider this returning the favor haha!! Dad, thank you for raising me and being there for me and my sisters throughout every sacrifice that you had to make, and every obstacle and trial that was thrown yours and moms way. This is the least that we could do to say thank you for everything that you’ve done. Happy Birthday!!! 62 looks good on you!!!

*Who is chopping up onions in this thread this morning?!?

I hope Christian has a career type year and gets a good contract next year. He's a good dude.

Last edited: