Thumbs Up or Down

• Up

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • Down

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I was actually happily surprised to see him enter the game as soon as he did. Good for him.

Watt
Crick
Pagan
Covington
?

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
I like Covington. He missed a half of season with Rice due to injury and I don't think he is fully recovered from. His health will only get better with time and just think when he fully recovers from injury.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Marshall, Covington was a 6th rd pick not a UDFA. Am I the only one surprised he is playing NT? I envisioned his as an end in this system.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
No. Covington. Of course the NFL sized Keenum comment had me scratching my head.
I was wondering because I thought you were saying that we got him as an FA, but we didn't. We drafted him in the 6th. Since that was just after the Keenum stuff, I thought you might be talking about Keenum since we got him FA, but wasn't sure.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Marshall, Covington was a 6th rd pick not a UDFA. Am I the only one surprised he is playing NT? I envisioned his as an end in this system.
I don't know why, but I had him confused with Lyndon Trail. My bad.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Christian Covington on making #Texans:"It was a risk coming out early with the injury I had. I'm living my dream. It turned out for the best"

Christian Covington on making #Texans: "To finally see one of my dreams come true, it was a real feeling. I'm happy to finally see that day come'

Christian Covington on making #Texans: "Everything really, excitement, joy, gratitude, appreciation. It's something I've wanted for a long time"

Christian Covington on making #Texans roster: "Dream come true right now. I can't be satisfied. I can't wait to be on that field come Sunday."​

Last edited:

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I thought he'd have played more based on his pre season performance.

Also thought of him as an 34 end/interior rusher but they hadn't used him in that role.

Not sure what they have planned for him if they have anything specific in mind at all.

Dunn came in and was playing over him.

Last edited:

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
I thought he'd have played more based on his pre season performance.

Also thought of him as an 34 end/interior rusher but they hadn't used him in that role.

Not sure what they have planned for him if they have anything specific in mind at all.

Dunn came in and was playing over him.
I'm thinking they're being careful with him, see how his knee holds up and slowly working him in.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
People keep saying he's not a 3-4 nose tackle. Fair enough.
But if we switched to a 4-3 wouldn't he play one of the DT positions?
He just doesn't strike me as a pass rusher off the edge. He's an inside player.

bah007

Hall of Fame
I'd expect him to occasionally rotate in at DE in the base 34 but his main job is probably going to be as an interior pass rusher when we go with nickel four man fronts.

WDE - Mercilus
NT - Covington
DT - Crick
SDE - Watt

I'd prefer to slide Watt down to that 3 tech position and bring Clowney in at DE. But people don't like the idea of Watt not playing DE, and Clowney also can't be trusted to be an important piece of any personnel package.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
I'd expect him to occasionally rotate in at DE in the base 34 but his main job is probably going to be as an interior pass rusher when we go with nickel four man fronts.

WDE - Mercilus
NT - Covington
DT - Crick
SDE - Watt

I'd prefer to slide Watt down to that 3 tech position and bring Clowney in at DE. But people don't like the idea of Watt not playing DE, and Clowney also can't be trusted to be an important piece of any personnel package.
Personally I think watt inside and clowney on the end would be ideal. One of the big questions was how to get clowney and Mercilus on the field at once
WDE- Mercilus
NT - Covington
DT- Watt
SDE - Clowney

PapaL

Loose Screw
If we're still talking nickel defense then McKinney and Cushing with five DBs. Although, I think the plan moving forward is for that to eventually be McKinney and Cliett.
I forgot about Cliett. Hopefully he healthy and hungry next year.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker

WDE - Mercilus
NT - Covington
DT - Crick
SDE - Watt

Put Clowney on the line where he belongs, and drop Mercilus back to OLB where he belongs.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
If the Texans are putting crick and Covington on the field in pass rush situations instead of Clowney then he's either officially a huge bust or the coaching staff will have lost their minds.

Or he's injured and not playing which is the most likely.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Put Clowney on the line where he belongs, and drop Mercilus back to OLB where he belongs.
I'd argue that they both play better on the line. That's been the issue with getting them to be productive at the same time. One is usually forced to play out of position.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking they're being careful with him, see how his knee holds up and slowly working him in.
His recovery from patellar tendon repair the beginning of Nov 2014 should have been completed by 6 months.......by OTAs last year. The main reason he was not utilized more was because was plagued by nagging injuries..............seeing the Injury Reports half of the 2015 games with shoulder, hip, knee and ankle injuries.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I'd argue that they both play better on the line. That's been the issue with getting them to be productive at the same time. One is usually forced to play out of position.
Then our coaches suck. 3-4's have thrived for a long time taking college DEs and playing them 'out of position' at OLB - like say, Mike Vrabel.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Then our coaches suck. 3-4's have thrived for a long time taking college DEs and playing them 'out of position' at OLB - like say, Mike Vrabel.
Well, it's either the coaching or the scouting evaluation. Not all college DEs are out of position at OLB. In fact, some fit better there. But we seem to like to draft the ones who's skill set provides more value with their hand in the ground, and then stand them up and play them in space.

The thing about the 34 is that it puts a ton of pressure on your LBs. They have to be versatile enough to handle multiple roles. I wouldn't say that our OLBs aren't talented, because they are. But they certainly aren't versatile. And they share the same weaknesses, so when they are on the field at the same time that weakness is multiplied.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!

Instagram

He's working out with JJ.........the guns have grown immensely............just as long as he understands the word "overuse," rest and rehab better than JJ.
Right or wrong JJ will go down in history as one of the best to ever play the game because of his never quit mentality. I have full confidence JJ will come back next season and be just as dominate as he has been in the past.

The whole Dline should be working out with JJ. Hard for the opponent to win with no QB ;) !

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Well, it's either the coaching or the scouting evaluation. Not all college DEs are out of position at OLB. In fact, some fit better there. But we seem to like to draft the ones who's skill set provides more value with their hand in the ground, and then stand them up and play them in space.

The thing about the 34 is that it puts a ton of pressure on your LBs. They have to be versatile enough to handle multiple roles. I wouldn't say that our OLBs aren't talented, because they are. But they certainly aren't versatile. And they share the same weaknesses, so when they are on the field at the same time that weakness is multiplied.

The same weakness they both have is the same that almost all 34 OLBs who were formerly DE's have.....coverage...playing in space....

I don't think Mercilus plays bad when he plays with Clowney. He just has a different role.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
The same weakness they both have is the same that almost all 34 OLBs who were formerly DE's have.....coverage...playing in space....

I don't think Mercilus plays bad when he plays with Clowney. He just has a different role.
Both drafted to play the same role. Mercilus looked like a rotation player at the point Clowney was drafted, has improved considerably in the 2 years since.

Clowney was drafted to replace Merci who I think was probably going to be shown the door via FA the following offseason, but the man upped his game.

Now if Clowney's health holds up this season and he gets to show some of that potential, that is going to be an awfully nice problem for RAC to scheme with, especially since we have a couple of nice developmental guys on the strong side who can be part of the rotation.

I actually don't think it's a bad idea to take prospects who have the natural ability to rush the passer and then try and teach them the fundamentals that go along with performing at OLB as a rule, I've seen enough Texans teams where they weren't capable of rushing to begin with and watching the defence was not at all pretty during those years.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Maybe a few reasons we haven't seen much activity trying to get Jared Crick.

We may be completely satisfied with Covington taking that spot, or maybe we've got plans to slide Clowney down.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Covington is my boy! Not because of wear he went to school but because he has the right mind set and wants it. Plus he's a geek. Wish him nothing but the best. I think he's one of the few young guys that gets it.

bah007

Hall of Fame

That's pretty much my point. I wouldn't say he plays bad. But I would say that he isn't truly suited for the strong side role, so we aren't maximizing what we can get from him by giving him those responsibilities. He is far more effective as a pure pass rusher.

The only issue I've had with playing both guys at the same time is that it limits what coverages we can run and it puts tremendous pressure on the ILBs. They still have to be the primary cleanup guys in the run game and now they have to take on extra responsibility in coverage, because the guy next to them is subpar in that category.

It's just a difference in philosophy. I prefer a more well rounded player at the strong side spot.