Thanks for your support!

Selection 3.83: Louis Nix NT

Thumbs up or down on Louis Nix at 3.83?

• Up

Votes: 137 93.8%
  • Down

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
13 points a game from the offense might be enough to win 10 games the way this defense is shaping up.

Crick - Nix - Watt

Mercilus - Cushing - Reed - Clowney

KJax JJo

Swearinger - Manning

That looks like a solid defense to me .... Now they need to find some depth and a 3rd corner.

We released Manning...He went to Cincy...We got Clemons...

Also, I can't see Mercilus starting opposite Clowney...

I'd rather leave Reed outside and find someone else to play OLB...Let Mercilus spell Clowney or prove he can be a situational rusher. Mercilus shouldn't be penciled in as a starter. Dude is just a guy really.

We'll see..

13 points a game from the offense might be enough to win 10 games the way this defense is shaping up.

Crick - Nix - Watt

KJax JJo

Swearinger - Manning

That looks like a solid defense to me .... Now they need to find some depth and a 3rd corner.

Manning was released.

Tried to post this earlier:

Nix's story of lingering pain that acutely worsened is not uncommon. It seems he played through tendinitis-related pain for much of the season-as well as a seemingly minor meniscus tear that refused to heal-until something exacerbated his injury against Pittsburgh, finally necessitating surgery. For instance, sharp twisting or knee hyperflexion can cause or worsen a meniscus tear.

Fortuna also writes that Nix underwent platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy in an attempt to assist his body's natural healing process. He did so at least twice-once earlier in 2013 and again in November:

Nix had undergone platelet rich plasma therapy, but a second surgery was still needed. Kelly said doctors also performed platelet rich plasma therapy on the knee Thursday to try to help with the healing. That said, given the caliber of Nix's physicians-including Notre Dame team orthopedic surgeon Dr. Brian Ratigan and the world-renowned Dr. James Andrews who, according to Fortuna, provided a second opinion-there is no reason to expect anything less than an optimal recovery. Additionally, the former Fighting Irish lineman is surely working with some of the best physical therapists practicing today.

very lengthy informative article from Feb http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...knee-injury-surgery-heading-into-the-nfl-draf

Crick - Nix - Watt

KJax JJo

Swearinger - Manning

Not sure if Reed shifts inside but I hope so. Now gimme a nickle and a dime and were set on defense. I have questions about crick but he can rotate with powe if necessary.

Oh it probably has. My fear is Mallett=Hoyer=Cassell. It appears McNair is determined to turn this franchise into NE South minus two key ingredients.

Somebody is listening too much to Nick Wright in the morning...

Big difference, the Nick Wright failed to mention, between what KC was trying to do and what the Texans are trying to do is that KC was running a Pittsburgh style offense, due to Todd Haley coming from Arizona under Ken Whisenhunt, and not a Pats style offense, which is what OB will be doing.

Matt Cassell had to learn a Steeler style offense, not the same offense he put up 11 wins on, and failed miserably.

Mallett, if traded, will be running pretty much the exact same offense he ran in NE the last 3 years except know he would get the chance to drive instead of sitting in the back seat....

I think they are well aware of the QB situation and have plan .

Yeah .... they'll find one next year. They are building the trenches first. I'm thrilled with the first , second and this pick.

our front 7 is no longer a cheeseburger away from anything

They are gonna make cheeseburgers outa QB's.

They may need to put a surgeon generals warning up for the opposing QB's .... Playing against the Texans defense is hazardous to your health.

Somebody is listening too much to Nick Wright in the morning...

Big difference, the Nick Wright failed to mention, between what KC was trying to do and what the Texans are trying to do is that KC was running a Pittsburgh style offense, due to Todd Haley coming from Arizona under Ken Whisenhunt, and not a Pats style offense, which is what OB will be doing.

Matt Cassell had to learn a Steeler style offense, not the same offense he put up 11 wins on, and failed miserably.

Mallett, if traded, will be running pretty much the exact same offense he ran in NE the last 3 years except know he would get the chance to drive instead of sitting in the back seat....

Nick who? If it is not obvious what is going on here to anyone else, my cheese done slipped off my cracker.

Quote it because I have never said the chart is stupid.

I was tempted to say your "analysis" of prior trades with the chart was stupid but refrained.

False logic. You consider everything on both sides of the equation.

It's a trade of x for y & z

It's not false logic.. It's quite sound logic. they lost one net draft pick (a 5th rounder) to upgrade the position of their next draft pick (a 4th rounder). The Eagles' moved back to pick up one extra pick.. Not two. Which was our 5th rounder.

If we don't get a better option at QB this guy better get in good shape quickly because he's going to be run at a lot late in games

Sweet trade up to get a first round talent this far down.

They will have a hell of a front seven.

They might go 0-16 and only give up 160 points all year .... losting 10-6 / 10-3 every damn week. :corrosion:

Wah! Wah! Wah! You didn't get your QB so everything is pointless. It's a broken record. (Do kids even know what I'm saying there?)

Some people just like being miserable.

looking at teams and picks after Nix not sure why Smith thought he had to trade up. Better to not take chance I suppose.

Wah! Wah! Wah! You didn't get your QB so everything is pointless. It's a broken record. (Do kids even know what I'm saying there?)

Not to speak for C, but I think you are mis-reading him.

And yes, kids know about records (at least my generation does).

Quote it because I have never said the chart is stupid.

I was tempted to say your "analysis" of prior trades with the chart was stupid but refrained.

My analysis was purely a compilation of information. I never disputed the value chart was only a refrence point. In fact, I said it before you did.

The Texans have 3 players with a round 1 ranking .

I think 4.
Clowney and XSF are unquestioned 1sts.
CJF deserves late 1st consideration as the best all-around TE: huge, good athlete, dominant blocker, capable hands.
Nix also deserves late 1st thanks to rare size.

I'm fine with becoming a grind-it-out team lacking a great qb.

Texans cleaned up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I often misunderstand the intent of the writings because I can't keep the people straight. This leads me to take everything literally and at face value, even when sarcasm is involved.

So if this is the case, I'm truly sorry.

I'm loving the draft so far, which might not bode well for the future.

hk9u0CR.gif

Nix underwent his surgery Nov 21st. The linked discussion said recovery could take several months. So he's had a full 5 months of recovery and therapy. The Texans should still be very careful during OTA's and training camp.

Love love love the pick!

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014lnix.php

Strengths:
Physical force at the point of attack
Tough run-defender who can hold the edge
Excellent run-defender
Very strong
Good burst off the snap
Very quick for his size
Closes well for a heavy tackle
Ability to shed blocks
Eats up double-teams
Frees up edge rushers, linebackers
Can play with good leverage
Uses bull rush to push the pocket
Perfect fit as a 3-4 nose tackle
Good fit as a 4-3 tackle
Eats up double-teams
Upside
Experienced 3-year starter

Weaknesses:
Can play too high
Pad level
Gets beat when he stands up too high
Conditioning will always be something to monitor
Concerns over a knee injury

Player Comparison: Casey Hampton. Hampton had a great career with the Steelers after being the 19th-overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft out of Texas. Hampton (6-1, 325) was a run-stuffer and disruptor in the middle of Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense. Nix is very similar with the exception of being a little bigger. Hampton was a five-time Pro Bowler who won two Super Bowls with the Steelers. Nix could be a similar player in the NFL and end up being one of the top nose tackles in the league.

I was being sarcastic .... Im thrilled with three of their four picks. The other , I really like the player , just would have gone a different direction (Not just QB but I mentioned RT , NT , CB & DE).

So far its been a hell of a draft , even without a QB.

That defense is much improved. The OL got a big upgrade.

He most definitely was.

QB or no , I don't think I could be happier about this draft haul .... Quite possibly the best draft in the teams history even if they didn't fill the biggest hole.

I really, really, really hope Louis Nix doesn't become "Typical Texan" with his injury history. That's my only concern. Keep the fatboy healthy.

I was being sarcastic .... Im thrilled with three of their four picks. The other , I really like the player , just would have gone a different direction (Not just QB but I mentioned RT , NT , CB & DE).

So far its been a hell of a draft , even without a QB.

That defense is much improved. The OL got a big upgrade.

He most definitely was.

QB or no , I don't think I could be happier about this draft haul .... Quite possibly the best draft in the teams history even if they didn't fill the biggest hole.

I'll repeat from my prior post, Sorry about that!

I really, really, really hope Louis Nix doesn't become "Typical Texan" with his injury history. That's my only concern. Keep the fatboy healthy.
If he stays healthy we're looking at the next Casey Hampton or Vince Wilfork. Just keep the twinkies to a minimum for this beast. He's going to love Houston and all of the fast-food places we have. Especially the barbecue.

If his weight balloons up to 370 again like it was a few years ago. Oh boy, what a load for an offensive line to block. He may hurt many NFL centers in his career. Think Kris Jenkins man-handling Chris Myers back in 2009.

From all accounts he's as athletic as he's ever been at the moment. Around that 335 to 340 mark. He's so strong and agile for his weight it's ridiculous and at 6'2 he usually gets the lower leverage. He's pretty much unblockable by one guy. He can eat up two blockers most of the time. That's going to help J.J. Watt a lot at defensive left end.

Louis Nix is a flat out beast!!!! :kingkong:

I don't think this is being overly caught up in the moment or anything but first four picks could ALL be starting come this fall for your Houston Texans. Usually lucky to get a couple, so yeah this is quite the draft :)

I don't think this is being overly caught up in the moment or anything but first four picks could ALL be starting come this fall for your Houston Texans. Usually lucky to get a couple, so yeah this is quite the draft :)
Most definitely. I think all four guys are starting Week 1

Starting is one thing....being good is another. How often do even 4 players out of a draft turn into contributors for their team?

Let's be excited but temper expectations. Every year every fan of every team falls into the draft trap, forgetting the lessons learned from years past.

Yeah, you just quoted a post that told me to quit crying.

Either way, it stands.

I don't give two craps about Y'all's little squabble.. I quoted his post, simply for him saying what we essentially gave up.. Since I was typing the SAME DAMN THING (in another post that didn't have crap to do with you) before I ever saw his post as it was posted while I was still typing my post. Hence why I quoted his post and said "beat me to it". :rolleyes: defensive much?

Starting is one thing....being good is another. How often do even 4 players out of a draft turn into contributors for their team?

Let's be excited but temper expectations. Every year every fan of every team falls into the draft trap, forgetting the lessons learned from years past.
This should be as good a draft the Texans have had since 2006. We netted many good starters in that one: Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Eric Winston and Owen Daniels. I would gladly rate our first four picks in this draft very comparable to that one in terms of potential starters from day one. Although I don't recall if Winston and Daniels started right away? I know Mario and DeMeco did.

Not to pick, but that crappy lettermen jacket name died with Kubiak. New players, new DC, new scheme. Let that truly awful name die with Kubiaks departure.

The you better call the mothership. I heard promos with Clowney and Bulls on Parade 3 times on my drive home tonight.

Back