Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Selection 2.43 Benardrick McKinney ILB Miss. St.

Thumbs Up or Down?

• Up

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • Down

Votes: 13 12.4%

• Total voters
I actually like McKinney better as a pass rusher than as an ILB. He's a very good athlete but he lacks instincts.

Skilled athlete who needs some fine tuning. Could turn into something though. Raw talent is there.

Not sure we had to trade up to get him though. He's not very scheme diverse so I don't think a lot of teams had him on their board very high.

Pretty much how I felt from the little I saw of him...just looks like a guy running around out there; very little in the way of instincts. I think his versatility as an outside rush guy and his measureables are what drew Crennel to him.. tall, long and just athletic enough to match up with TE's like Dwayne Allen in coverage..but strong enough to be stout against the run if he needs to be...im not a real fan of this kid....especicially with kendricks still on the board....2nd time Minnesota has snagged a player that I coveted...they got Teddy right before us last year... this time the snagged kendricks right after we picked.

I like the ILB... I don't like the responses here, I'll have to wait till I see some highlights to form an opinion.

In new england, all of the lbs were ex de type. This is RACs guy. I like him alot and people act like texans werent easy to run on last year.

Why them rather than the Vikings or Chargers (or all 3)?

Because 49ers lost two starting ILB this year. And 49ers could've as easily traded up to #43 as well. And maybe the Vikes and Chargers did not want to trade.

Last edited:
In new england, all of the lbs were ex de type. This is RACs guy. I like him alot and people act like texans werent easy to run on last year.

But this guy is not an ex DE type. He's a MIKE who occasionally rushes from the edge. This guy is a LB, through & through (though he was a high school QB)

I like the ILB... I don't like the responses here, I'll have to wait till I see some highlights to form an opinion.

The Texans could draft a QB that was guaranteed to be better than Montana, Brady, and Elway combined and people here would complain.

Ted Johnson sounded high on Kevin Johnson and had McKinney as a player he thought would be a great fit here. Considering he actually played this game for RAC and didn't top out as a High Schooler I'd trust his opinion over most people here.

The Texans could draft a QB that was guaranteed to be better than Montana, Brady, and Elway combined and people here would complain.

Ted Johnson sounded high on Kevin Johnson and had McKinney as a player he thought would be a great fit here. Considering he actually played this game for RAC and didn't top out as a High Schooler I'd trust his opinion over most people here.

Lol, I would be surprised if most people on this board played past middle school. I've never played a down of tackle football in my life.

Lol, I would be surprised if most people on this board played past middle school. I've never played a down of tackle football in my life.

I've never played. Just spent my entire life staring at it.

The best part of being a football fan in 2015 is the wealth of information at your fingertips and how easy it is to reach other fans.

The worst part of being a football fan in 2015 is the mountain of information you have to obsess over and how hard it is interacting with the kinds of fans who are never happy with anything and who appear to think that their mission in life is to tell everyone around them how wrong they are, how dumb they are, and how they should all just quit watching football immediately because they understand nothing. Sometimes I miss the 80's and just speaking with my friends and digging through the Chronicle for NFL news. Listening to the draft on the radio and buying a few magazines. Your friends may disagree with you about a pick or a player or a coach but they'll talk with you about it. Listen to your point of view and explain theirs. The internet is a rude, stupid place sometimes and so many people just sit in front of a screen convincing themselves that everyone else is an idiot and that they're experts with rare insight. It gets old and it's why most people (I suspect) take little breaks from the "fan collective".

But what are you gonna do? No matter how tired of it you may get football season is going to come around and you'll be back because you love it.

Last edited:

I played in the kiddie leagues back in the early 60s, but never in an organized structure like public schools and such.

I actually like McKinney better as a pass rusher than as an ILB. He's a very good athlete but he lacks instincts.

Skilled athlete who needs some fine tuning. Could turn into something though. Raw talent is there.

Not sure we had to trade up to get him though. He's not very scheme diverse so I don't think a lot of teams had him on their board very high.

I been thinkin about this pick , they had their pick of the ILB crop & went with the bigger McKinney over Kendricks which I can understand if they want to keep him inside as the 34Lbers are typically a bit bigger & Kendricks probably translates to a 43 guy.

Are you saying you could see him playing outside in place of Reed or ??

Expert! Expert!! :koolaid:

I played corner (or flanker) in the 5th grade and was a pretty good RB on the 8th grade B team. I knew just enough to be a RB back then and didn't know jack about anything else. Back in the 5th grade, I didn't even know my own position. I was just there to watch the cloud of dust in the middle of the field. Every now and then I'd bring it upon myself to corner blitz, and oddly, nobody told me to stop making up my own plays, LOL.

I been thinkin about this pick , they had their pick of the ILB crop & went with the bigger McKinney over Kendricks which I can understand if they want to keep him inside as the 34Lbers are typically a bit bigger & Kendricks probably translates to a 43 guy.

Are you saying you could see him playing outside in place of Reed or ??

Maybe they chose McKinney over the other LBs because they want him outside. I have no clue. Just trying to figure out the move. They obviously wanted him specifically.

Everybody says this guy is a MLB because that's where he played in college. I think he can be that. But I think he's better on the edge. He's an athlete. He can turn the corner. He can set the edge.

I don't know if he's gonna be our SOLB. But I think he could do it.

Maybe they chose McKinney over the other LBs because they want him outside. I have no clue. Just trying to figure out the move. They obviously wanted him specifically.

Everybody says this guy is a MLB because that's where he played in college. I think he can be that. But I think he's better on the edge. He's an athlete. He can turn the corner. He can set the edge.

Odd , CBS.com has him listed as an OLB in the drafted prospects list , maybe he does play outside. Who's on the other side , Merciless or Clowney ?!

I thought he was an inside run stopper type .... will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Sweet! Welcome back brother! What is your impression of McKinney?

I really dont know yet. I was a little disappointed when I first heard the pick, but nothing extreme.

I like his frame and the fact that he has a lot of starts (and tackles) in the SEC. I like that he has been referred to as a leader. However, he clearly struggles in space, which worries me in today's NFL.

I know some guys like him at SOLB- I dont know about that, but it is certainly worth a shot. I do think he has rush potential, so maybe stick him at ILB for the first 2 downs/run situations, and slide him to the edge on passing situations? Who knows.

In short, a solid 2nd rounder in my opinion. Not the pick I would have made, but not one I am complaining about. He could certainly become a very solid player for the Texans, but I would be surprised if he was ever mentioned as a top10 ILB in the league, mainly due to his limitations in coverage.

Odd , CBS.com has him listed as an OLB in the drafted prospects list , maybe he does play outside. Who's on the other side , Merciless or Clowney ?!

I thought he was an inside run stopper type .... will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I think they play him inside most of the time, but every now and then he'll be asked to line up at Solb and get after the qb.

More the versatility, the more looks RAC can throw out there to confuse all the young qb's in our division

McKinney's length and athletic profile scream SOLB but his skill set says two-down thumping ILB. He has pass rushing potential though.

Expert! Expert!! :koolaid:

I played corner (or flanker) in the 5th grade and was a pretty good RB on the 8th grade B team. I knew just enough to be a RB back then and didn't know jack about anything else. Back in the 5th grade, I didn't even know my own position. I was just there to watch the cloud of dust in the middle of the field. Every now and then I'd bring it upon myself to corner blitz, and oddly, nobody told me to stop making up my own plays, LOL.

Lmao

I can't wait til Cush proves the malcontents wrong just the same way Demeco did.

Awesome pick nonetheless, this kid next to Cush will be fun.

Spoke to more than one scout who thought he could sneak into the first. Was surprised, but more for his edge/rush potential. Liked him better than Kendricks/Dawson/Perryman even Smith and O-diggy.

No way. Gets washed out in crowds and doesn't take good angles to the ball. He's nothing but a thumper with poor instincts. Perryman is twice the player this guy will ever be. We will regret this pick for a long time.

Maybe we can use him to replace Reed on the outside. I doubt that though because of his stiff hips.

I haven't watched a lot of film this year. Haven't been very interested, but watching some of the guys we picked I haven't been super impressed. Edit: I'm really impressed with the corner. They all look solid though. I see skills that can't be taught but I see flaws that look coachable.

With McKinney he sometimes looks like he lacks aggression. Other times he showing some thump to his game. He looks like an ex qb on quite a few plays. I like him more than I liked merciless coming out though. Looks more like a football player on film. Lots of stuff to clean up and work on though, but these coaches and vets we have here should help him.

Don't know if I like him more than some other guys left as I haven't watched a bunch of prospects really. But as is he's a meh player with potential to be really good with development imo.

Last edited:
I haven't watched a lot of film this year. Haven't been very interested, but watching some of the guys we picked I haven't been super impressed. They all look solid though. I see skills that can't be taught but I see flaws that look coachable.

With McKinney he sometimes looks like he lacks aggression. Other times he showing some thump to his game. He looks like an ex qb on quite a few plays. I like him more than I liked merciless coming out though. Looks more like a football player on film. Lots of stuff to clean up and work on though, but these coaches and vets we have here should help him.

Don't know if I like him more than some other guys left as I haven't watched a bunch of prospects really. But as is he's a meh player with potential to be really good with development imo.

I'm thinking Watt and Cushing can teach him about aggresion

I like the pick as a 3 down player. Im not sure he has the movement skills to be that however.

I'm thinking Watt and Cushing can teach him about aggresion

But haven't you heard? Apparently Cushing is garbage.

So McKinney -- This is a Crennel pick. He's going to be moved around to play inside and outside depending on the matchup. He fits the philosophy.

I like how he tackles. He stops dudes like a brick wall.

Very talented. Appears to be a hard worker. Talent level = Justin Houston

Dumb as a box, hopefully Vrabel can coach him up.

Very talented. Appears to be a hard worker. Talent level = Justin Houston

Dumb as a box, hopefully Vrabel can coach him up.

why do you call him dumb? Not that there's anything wrong with that

why do you call him dumb? Not that there's anything wrong with that

He looks slow reading his keys. IMHO

Example Kuechly. slightly above avg athlete. Great at reading his keys. Zack Thomas is the same way. It's what made Ray Lewis great.

Can this be taught? We're about to find out. Maybe RAC sees him as an edge rusher.

He looks slow reading his keys. IMHO

Example Kuechly. slightly above avg athlete. Great at reading his keys. Zack Thomas is the same way. It's what made Ray Lewis great.

Can this be taught? We're about to find out. Maybe RAC sees him as an edge rusher.

well ain't nuthin' ever gonna be good enough is it?

Been thinking a lot about this pick , the more I think about it , the less I like it. I do like the position .... just not the fit of the player selected.

Not because I don't think he's good at what he does but because I don't think his skillset keeps him on the field enough to justify a premium pick much less the picks required to move up.

I think he's simply a run stuffer who is a liability in coverage , wont be on the field in passing situations.

It's a passing league & they had Kendricks available who is solid in coverage and will be a 3 down player.

Again , its more about fit and value than not liking the player ....

Obviously he was their guy since he was the first ILB taken and they moved up to get him , I hope OB & Co were right ....

Maybe this says something about the health of Cushing .... that they feel they can afford to use a high pick on a situational player.

I see a potential Cushing replacement unit. Cushing can be hell on wheels when healthy but who can say how many years he will stay healthy. This is a less obvious "draft-the-stud's-replacement-before-we're-desperate" move to me. He seems to already have a seek & destroy mentality. All Vrabel has to do is train him on the tricks of the trade. I don't think he was selected for his cover skills. But that's what safeties are for.

Been thinking a lot about this pick , the more I think about it , the less I like it. I do like the position .... just not the fit of the player selected.

Not because I don't think he's good at what he does but because I don't think his skillset keeps him on the field enough to justify a premium pick much less the picks required to move up.

I think he's simply a run stuffer who is a liability in coverage , wont be on the field in passing situations.

It's a passing league & they had Kendricks available who is solid in coverage and will be a 3 down player.

Again , its more about fit and value than not liking the player ....

Obviously he was their guy since he was the first ILB taken and they moved up to get him , I hope OB & Co were right ....

Maybe this says something about the health of Cushing .... that they feel they can afford to use a high pick on a situational player.

my thoughts exactly.
hope i am wrong. (normally i am ;) )

So Cush is now garbage? Ok? I liked what I started to see as he finally got healthy at the later part of the year. No major surgery to recover from this off season is huge. I expect to see something closer to regular Cush this year.

Far as McKinney not sure they needed to trade up but you have to like the size and range he has. I think he has some versatility but I'd be surprised to see him line up outside much. Looks more to me like ILB. Looks like the defense will really bring it this year and they'll need to.

In his post Draft interview, OB specifically identified his position for the Texans as ILB.

Back