Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Scouting the 2019 Houston Texans offense

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I came across a good review of the 2019 offense with breakdown and tendencies. Some of the comments are interesting. For example:
  1. The Texans’ offense is a shotgun-based offense (third-highest percentage in the gun)
  2. Over 57-percent of Watson's passing yardage is yardage in the air (air yardage), which ranks seventh in the NFL this season
  3. The Bill O’Brien offense is a heavy 12-personnel team (1 RB, 2 TEs), utilizing this grouping the third-most in the league at 32-percent
  4. Fifty-six of Duke's 62 targets come behind the line of scrimmage on screens or swing passes and beyond the line of scrimmage from 0-9 yards
  5. The Texans like to attack the middle of the field. Fifty-eight-percent of Watson’s passing yardage comes over the middle of the field beyond the line of scrimmage.
I was surprised by the run/pass ratio in the red zone. Also, the first down run/pass ratio is not as heavy on the run as it feels or is perceived. Thoughts?

https://www.cover1.net/scouting-report-houston-texans-offense/

I came across a good review of the 2019 offense with breakdown and tendencies. Some of the comments are interesting. For example:
  1. The Texans’ offense is a shotgun-based offense (third-highest percentage in the gun)
  2. Over 57-percent of Watson's passing yardage is yardage in the air (air yardage), which ranks seventh in the NFL this season
  3. The Bill O’Brien offense is a heavy 12-personnel team (1 RB, 2 TEs), utilizing this grouping the third-most in the league at 32-percent
  4. Fifty-six of Duke's 62 targets come behind the line of scrimmage on screens or swing passes and beyond the line of scrimmage from 0-9 yards
  5. The Texans like to attack the middle of the field. Fifty-eight-percent of Watson’s passing yardage comes over the middle of the field beyond the line of scrimmage.
I was surprised by the run/pass ratio in the red zone. Also, the first down run/pass ratio is not as heavy on the run as it feels or is perceived. Thoughts?

https://www.cover1.net/scouting-report-houston-texans-offense/

Pretty interesting breakdown.

I have a feeling point #3 will change this year to utilizing 2 RB's instead due to Johnson&Johnson providing us with the same skill set that will not tip off run/pass to the defense as easily when one or the other are on the field.
I also think #5 will possibly change (pending WR health) with additional passes to the sidelines targeting Fuller/Cooks.

Good stuff Earl this article validates a lot of talking points we’ve discussed around these parts.

Some other tendencies that are mentioned:

"On money downs, they will use Hopkins on the weak side of the formation and run their isolation series from the slot. Based on the matchup and leverage, he will run seams, outs, curls, and even slants. They will also stack Hopkins behind other receivers to make it difficult for top corners to press him, while still executing their high/low route combinations and isolation route combinations."

"Generally, if the tight end is 1-2 yards off the line of scrimmage, a split zone concept is coming. If the tight end is inches from being on the line of scrimmage or on the line of scrimmage, a power run is coming (or outside zone run when QB is under center). The Texans’ one-back power runs are typically run to the strength of the formation out of the same formation."

Pretty interesting breakdown.

I have a feeling point #3 will change this year to utilizing 2 RB's instead due to Johnson&Johnson providing us with the same skill set that will not tip off run/pass to the defense as easily when one or the other are on the field.
I also think #5 will possibly change (pending WR health) with additional passes to the sidelines targeting Fuller/Cooks.

Good point on the predictability. Especially when you consider:

"Running back #25 Duke Johnson is their primary receiving back (71.8-percent of his snaps are as a receiver), and he is a good one. He runs routes like a receiver in the short area and can be used all across the formation because of his skill set. Fifty-six of his 62 targets come behind the line of scrimmage on screens or swing passes and beyond the line of scrimmage from 0-9 yards. Johnson runs a lot of option routes on the backside of nub tight end sets, which is a staple in O’Brien’s version of the Erhardt-Perkins system."

The "eye test" is inherently biased. People tend to see what they want to see. I know I'm guilty of this myself. That's why I like to use stats to confirm what I see.

Exactly. Most posters do the same thing. The "eye test" and stats go hand in hand. If you are simply posting subjective opinions, you're just talking out your a$$. If you only rely on stats, you missed the gray areas, nuances, conditions and other variables that go into your evaluation.

You really need both if you want to have a good discussion or to make your point.

Just me.....coaching held Moon/Oilers and the Texans back. Coaches like players have to have a take no prisoners attitude when they enter the field of play. I just do not believe in unwritten rules, gentleman's gesture, prevent defense or any of that other garbage that prevents the team from executing at 100% for 60 minutes. If your team played well enough to win by 70 points.....then they deserve to win by 70 points. Why in the hell would a coach settle for a win by 17 when they could've won by 70? That's how players gain that "take no prisoners" attitude.....that's how teams win Super Bowls!!!

Last edited:
This might be something @Corrosion has mentioned in the past. Anyone surprised by the low number of rollouts for Watson? Is that a reflection on the tackles or by design?

During the season, I saw a stat that Brady had a higher percentage of rollouts than Watson. I can't find the stat, but it was surprising since you wouldn't think a statue like Brady would have so many rollouts.

This might be something @Corrosion has mentioned in the past. Anyone surprised by the low number of rollouts for Watson? Is that a reflection on the tackles or by design?

During the season, I saw a stat that Brady had a higher percentage of rollouts than Watson. I can't find the stat, but it was surprising since you wouldn't think a statue like Brady would have so many rollouts.

Something I read recently from Ob - saying he wants to reduce the number of times Watson carries the ball to protect him leads me to believe that is by design , not an indictment on the tackles.

It also kinda confirms my suspicion on the RPO where Watson doesn't keep the ball when the read is to keep it - Probably OB telling him to hand it off no matter what.
My only problem with that is in doing this you often run into a numbers disadvantage as the whole idea of that option is to take advantage of the "numbers advantage" created by the fake - The defense can't outman you outside and inside at the same time.
That read is usually based upon one of two reads - the MLB or the widest rusher (OLB / DE) to the play side.

Why run that option if you have no intention of taking advantage of what the concept is designed to create .... and run into a disadvantage instead. Run something else ?!

As for the roll outs , just remember how successful Schaub was on those plays and he was a club footed sloth with a noodle arm.
I'm sure you know I've been a proponent of adding that outside action to the offense since forever.

It also kinda confirms my suspicion on the RPO where Watson doesn't keep the ball when the read is to keep it - Probably OB telling him to hand it off no matter what.
My only problem with that is in doing this you often run into a numbers disadvantage as the whole idea of that option is to take advantage of the "numbers advantage" created by the fake
Which leads to several 2nd and 9's or 2nd and 8's. Instead of a big play or 2nd and 3, something like that. Even with OB's playbook it is easier to call a play on 2nd and 3.

NVM continue to be the author of derailment.

Earl I’m very curious to see if Kelly will change something’s and how much will he change. After the season ( that’s if we have a complete one) we should make an comparison.

Me too. Shanahan, Kingsbury, and McVay have all spoken about how much they watch each other and "steal" from each other. I'm hoping Kelly "steals" from them and Andy Reid. We will see after the season.

Okay. Since you keep posting this Blanda comment. I'll play.

It's hard to compare eras, so I will ignore completion percentage, but didn't George Blanda lead the league in INTS for four consecutive years with 42, 25, 27 and 30 INTs? In seven season, didn't Blanda only have 3 winning seasons?

Finally, I didn't know being a Houston football fan prevents us from watching other NFL QBs, playoff games or the Super Bowl to have a point of reference on QB greatness.
Just curious on those high INT years, were any of them with Houstin Oilers? I really don't know and off to bed.

It is about breaking down 2019, you're the only one that is trying to make it about 2020

2019 is over.

I'm telling you with the new personnel those stats/tendencies don't mean squat.

For instance, do you think DW4'S going to be throwing more to Cobb than he did to Course/Carter?

2019 is over.

I'm telling you with the new personnel those stats/tendencies don't mean squat.

For instance, do you think DW4'S going to be throwing more to Cobb than he did to Course/Carter?

Why are you being so stubborn.

Are we not running the same Bill O’Brien version of the EP. All because some players have been added doesn’t mean we won’t see some of the same tendencies.

Why are you being so stubborn.

Are we not running the same Bill O’Brien version of the EP. All because some players have been added doesn’t mean we won’t see some of the same tendencies.

So if they aren't running the BOB version of the EP offense tell me how the stats posted apply to the 2020 season.

What is the point of this thread?

To figure out tendencies?

Those tendencies are going to change this yr with a new play caller and skill position players.

Back