Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Schaub #2 all time, passing yards in a game?

8-6 in those games points directly to a horrible defense that got them into the come-from-behind scenario to start with. At least half of those 6 losses are directly attributable to the defense not being able to stop a good college team.

I'll third this post. Without looking back at the list, giving up last second TD's to the Jags and Jets cannot by put on the QB. Shift those over and you have 10-4.

I'm not sure what it would take to satisfy some fans. With a mediocre defense and no running game (2009), he threw for almost 5000 yards and a 9-7 record...

With a good defense, his record is 16-4 and 13-1 in his last 14 games... not to mention a QB rating of 100.

There's plenty to love about the guy. Maybe we could stop blaming him for not being Tom Brady. Maybe?

I'm not sure what it would take to satisfy some fans. With a mediocre defense and no running game (2009), he threw for almost 5000 yards and a 9-7 record...

With a good defense, his record is 16-4 and 13-1 in his last 14 games... not to mention a QB rating of 100.

There's plenty to love about the guy. Maybe we could stop blaming him for not being Tom Brady. Maybe?

Texans have been vindicated by extending Schuab this past off season. IMO :barman:

True.

On the other hand , fans are made to grope, I mean gripe.

(The keyboard on these phones are really small, sometimes you can type the daarnest thing, LOL)

For me, I've said it before, I want him to play like he did in 2009. Not that I need him to throw for 5000 yards, or take any unnecessary chances. But he played at another level.... I would say a Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Peyton Manning level. We won a lot of games in 2009, because of him. I'd love to win games today because of Matt & Arian & Andre & the defense, not just on whichever one happens to be hot that day. They should all be "hot" at the same time as often as possible. That's when we are at our best.

Now we got a defense & a run game, he doesn't have to be that guy. I get it. But we're a better team when he is that guy.

Strangely, being the Kubiak disser I normally am, I don't feel a need to get on him today. Yeah, the defense laid a big turd today, but that's more on Wade than Kubiak. We all know the story there. Kubiak's offense saved our asses today.

^^^^
This

But I wish Gary had stayed with the passing game after the first drive. It was working and he had a hot QB. If he would've done this then the game probably wouldn't have been as close.

Choosing to impose Garys will on the Jags for two and a half qtrs almost cost the Texans this game. But Schaub and the defensive stand bailed the Texans out in OT. IMHO

For me, I've said it before, I want him to play like he did in 2009. Not that I need him to throw for 5000 yards, or take any unnecessary chances. But he played at another level.... I would say a Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Peyton Manning level. We won a lot of games in 2009, because of him. I'd love to win games today because of Matt & Arian & Andre & the defense, not just on whichever one happens to be hot that day. They should all be "hot" at the same time as often as possible. That's when we are at our best.

Now we got a defense & a run game, he doesn't have to be that guy. I get it. But we're a better team when he is that guy.

I like him better this way. You don't need to be a gunslinger when you have a good defense. Just play solid percentage football and win.

Agreed,

Shaub has the ability to be an elite QB. Gary just needs to take the chains off of him.

^^^^
This

But I wish Gary had stayed with the passing game after the first drive. It was working and he had a hot QB. If he would've done this then the game probably wouldn't have been as close.

Choosing to impose Garys will on the Jags for two and a half qtrs almost cost the Texans this game. But Schaub and the defensive stand bailed the Texans out in OT. IMHO

Haha, as much as I would love for Kubiak to make GP happy by scoring 21 points in the first qtr, I think Kubiak always script his plays early in the game to gauge the tendency of the defense. It's been working, why change it?

Agreed,

Shaub has the ability to be an elite QB. Gary just needs to take the chains off of him.

I'm pretty sure if you ask Schaub, he likes it the way it is.

It's better to work both the running game and the passing game.

The running game, especially the stretch play, makes the d-line work hard because they have to run left and then right. And then they have to worry about the cut block.

The more tired they get, the worse they will perform late in the game.
Even if the running game doesn't work well, those guys will be huffing and puffing, which in turn render them less effective in their pass rush.

We're the best team when he doesn't have to be that guy, and that in my opinion is what we should strive for.

It's clear that the philosophy of Kubiak and this coaching staff is to play tough defense, run the ball down their throat, gain control of the game, and try to play from ahead - controlling the ball as much as you can.

Asking Matt to be Super Man flies in the face of that philosophy, and with Matt sporting a 13-1 record under that philosophy, I say wait until you need him to be that guy before you ask him to be that guy.

Agreed,

Why blame Gary? I think it's on Matt. Balls in his hands on 3rd & long. Don't take what the defense gives you, take it.

That don't mean to force anything. That doesn't mean to take any chances. That means do what he did Sunday when we were down by 14. Make a play, move the chains.

Asking Matt to be Super Man flies in the face of that philosophy, and with Matt sporting a 13-1 record under that philosophy, I say wait until you need him to be that guy before you ask him to be that guy.

Was he super man Sunday? Was he Super Man in 2009? I don't think so, he just refused to lose, on every play. He played with a sense of urgency, we need that 1st down, we need that touchdown.... we need to move the chains.

I just want him to play with that urgency all the time. Play at that level, all the time.

We ran the ball Sunday. We never abandoned the run. We had Schaub playing at a high level, we had Andre playing at a high level, we had Arian playing at a high level, OD, Graham.. high level. Leaving everything on the field. Doing what it takes to move the chains, to stay on the field, to beat the defense.

Was he super man Sunday? Was he Super Man in 2009? I don't think so, he just refused to lose, on every play. He played with a sense of urgency, we need that 1st down, we need that touchdown.... we need to move the chains.

I just want him to play with that urgency all the time. Play at that level, all the time.

We ran the ball Sunday. We never abandoned the run. We had Schaub playing at a high level, we had Andre playing at a high level, we had Arian playing at a high level, OD, Graham.. high level. Leaving everything on the field. Doing what it takes to move the chains, to stay on the field, to beat the defense.

We threw the ball 55 times on Sunday! In 2009, we had no running game. We have one now. Balanced is good. We can beat Chicago in a rainstorm. Or, we can score 43 points when our defense has an off day by throwing the ball all over the yard. Realize the more times Schaub drops back, the more hits he will take.... not to mention that play action pass is our bread and butter, and it is much more effective when the defense believes we will run it.

We threw the ball 55 times on Sunday! In 2009, we had no running game. We have one now. Balanced is good. We can beat Chicago in a rainstorm. Or, we can score 43 points when our defense has an off day by throwing the ball all over the yard. Realize the more times Schaub drops back, the more hits he will take.... not to mention that play action pass is our bread and butter, and it is much more effective when the defense believes we will run it.

I think I understand where the Fid comes from.
Them offense with Peyton and Brady (and even Rodgers) rely more on the spread.

It runs through the QB and practice makes perfect.

But look at the leader board; which team has the best winning record with a certain QB at the helm the last two years?

One can even count back the year for Peyton.

I ought to bookmark this post for those people referenced above who think that Schaub can't lead his team to comebacks:

1. 2007 against Miami. Brings team back from 16-7 deficit. Drives the team from its own 3 to a last-second FG in the greatest game Kris Brown ever had....

Just off the top of my head . . .

Thanks for the research.
Repped.

I'm not saying we have to throw it 50 times, or be anything other than the balanced team that we are. I'm saying on 3rd & whatever, I want to see Matt play like he did Sunday, with the attitude that we have to pick up that third down, I want him to start every drive thinking we will score & anything less is failure.

Just like he did Sunday, doesn't mean that he has to force anything or be any less cautious. It just means not settling or putting the ball in the defense's hands.

I want him to play with that, "We're down by 14" attitude all the time.

To me, it's just like the "effort" some of us don't see in Mario Williams on every down. I'm not seeing that effort from Schaub. I don't want him to play outside himself, I just want him to play like he did Sunday, like he did in 2009. It was another level type of playing, it was a competitive, winning, leader-type level.

Arian is going to give us 110% every play. So is Duane Brown. I've said it before & I'll say it again, to me, Matt gives up on plays too early. If we weren't down by 14, he'd have settled for a field goal, or a punt.

We don't run the score up on other teams, I think, because of that. Not because Gary gets conservative. But because our field general says, "Ah... let the night crew handle it."

I'm not saying we have to throw it 50 times, or be anything other than the balanced team that we are. I'm saying on 3rd & whatever, I want to see Matt play like he did Sunday, with the attitude that we have to pick up that third down, I want him to start every drive thinking we will score & anything less is failure.

Just like he did Sunday, doesn't mean that he has to force anything or be any less cautious. It just means not settling or putting the ball in the defense's hands.

To me, it's just like the "effort" some of us don't see in Mario Williams on every down. I'm not seeing that effort from Schaub. I don't want him to play outside himself, I just want him to play like he did Sunday, like he did in 2009. It was another level type of playing, it was a competitive, winning, leader-type level.

Arian is going to give us 110% every play. So is Duane Brown. I've said it before & I'll say it again, to me, Matt gives up on plays too early. If we weren't down by 14, he'd have settled for a field goal, or a punt.

We don't run the score up on other teams, I think, because of that. Not because Gary gets conservative. But because our field general says, "Ah... let the night crew handle it."
I would think it's Kubiak's call.

Minimize the risk of turnover and we can win every game.

That's why we had to let Jacoby and Holliday go even though they are both electric returners.

That's why we had to let Jacoby and Holliday go even though they are both electric returners.

Both were just too mistake prone .... But I really believe the decision with Jacoby was more about cap room than anything else because despite his problems , I know Kubiak really liked Jacoby Jones.

Both were just too mistake prone .... But I really believe the decision with Jacoby was more about cap room than anything else because despite his problems , I know Kubiak really liked Jacoby Jones.

It may very well be true, but you don't cut a playmaker because you worry about the cap space. Those guys are protected by the 20% rule.

Sounds to me like you want another guy drafted and traded by Atlanta .... That guy has the most TD passes and the .... most INT's in NFL history.
Brett Favre .... Dude had the gunslinger attitude all the time.

Im content with Schaub and Kubiak allowing the score to dictate when to take chances and when not to assume unnecessary risk.

I would think it's Kubiak's call.

Minimize the risk of turnover and we can win every game.

Kubiak shouldn't have a say in it. I'm not asking for plays to be called differently, I'm not asking for Matt to take any more chances than he did Sunday.

Y'all are saying he isn't Brees, or Rogers.. Sunday, he looked just as good as any of the elites to me. He was put in do or die situations for most of the game & he did.

He did what he had to do, to get us a TD when we needed it, to get us a first down when we needed it.

He didn't take what the defense gave him, he dictated what we were going to do.

He played like an All-Pro yesterday, not a game manager, not a "good enough" QB. He played like the guy we need him to be to take us to Super Bowl, & not the guy who won't get in our way.

Kubiak shouldn't have a say in it. I'm not asking for plays to be called differently, I'm not asking for Matt to take any more chances than he did Sunday.

Y'all are saying he isn't Brees, or Rogers.. Sunday, he looked just as good as any of the elites to me. He was put in do or die situations for most of the game & he did.

He did what he had to do, to get us a TD when we needed it, to get us a first down when we needed it.

He played like an All-Pro yesterday, not a game manager, not a "good enough" QB. He played like the guy we need him to be to take us to Super Bowl, & not the guy who won't get in our way.

Still a concerted agreement between HC/OC and the QB

Jacksonville has a horrible defense, particularly against the pass. They decided to sell out against the run. The Texans took exactly what the defense gave them. The defense played soft to avoid the big play and left the middle open. The Texan TEs at up the middle of the field and AJ had a field day driving underneath on the edge. This is about Kubiak. Schaub's job is to execute the game plan. He does that. Often, the game plan is to protect the ball at all costs... or, to hand off 10 times in a row to set up a deep pass via play action. The Texans are not designed to be, nor do they want to be a QB-centric offense. I would find peace with that... or, you will continue to be frustrated as the Texans continue to win with regularity.

I'm not going to say any more on the matter. You all will never understand the criticism Matt Schaub gets. & I'll never understand settling.

Matt Schaub has what it takes to be elite. We've seen it. If y'all don't see the difference between the way he played Sunday compared to the way he played every other game this year (beyond the play calls & the formations), then I don't know what to say.

He's a pro-bowl alternate, that's the way he normally plays. Sunday, he was a front runner, a favorite, 1st team all-pro. Better than Manning, better than Brady.

I'm not going to say any more on the matter. You all will never understand the criticism Matt Schaub gets. & I'll never understand settling.

Matt Schaub has what it takes to be elite. We've seen it. If y'all don't see the difference between the way he played Sunday compared to the way he played every other game this year (beyond the play calls & the formations), then I don't know what to say.

He's a pro-bowl alternate, that's the way he normally plays. Sunday, he was a front runner, a favorite, 1st team all-pro. Better than Manning, better than Brady.

I get that he has that ability and you want him to exert that ability more often .... I also see understand that football is a game of circumstances.

Its more about when you take your shots than how many ... that affect the Win column.

I get what you're saying. Schaub seems not to play with that fire-breathing sense
of urgency on every snap that you see out of Manning, Brady, Roethlisburger, or
Brees. He has the same command of THIS offense as those guys have of their
respective offenses, but he does not play with that urgency unless the team is down
a couple of scores.

It frustrates me just the same, and as the season goes on, I think he'll start
to assert himself more. Our defense is good, but it can't afford have the offense
continue to expose it by not converting 3rd downs.

If y'all don't see the difference between the way he played Sunday compared to the way he played every other game this year (beyond the play calls & the formations), then I don't know what to say.

Well I for one haven't seen it.

Plus I will take the word of AJ who said Schaub came into training camp and has played throughout this season with a renewed and enhanced determination which is readily felt in the huddle. 4-5 of his teammates including Arian, Meyers and Duane Brown all agreed with him.

I get what you're saying. Schaub seems not to play with that fire-breathing sense of urgency on every snap that you see out of Manning, Brady, Roethlisburger, or Brees. He has the same command of THIS offense as those guys have of their respective offenses, but he does not play with that urgency unless the team is down a couple of scores.

610 am was just discussing this and I agree with them, the gist of which was you are drawing an incorrect conclusion from not seeing what you deem correct or typical. Schaub doesn't scream and yell as much as many QB's. That does not mean he is less intense, less determined or less in command of the team.

Back