Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Schaub #2 all time, passing yards in a game?

If I happened to be a Patriots fan, and Coach Bill didn't have his team prepared, focused, and playing their guts out in a game...I'd say the same thing about Bill.

So, if you were in charge of a football team, you would burn through a Hall of Fame coach every year or two... this is how you defend yourself?

You can not go through the history of any coach in the NFL without seeing games where their team isn't playing to their potential. I get being critical of it when it happens. I am too. However, communicating as if the coach isn't qualified or is a failure, that is where you lose most reasonable people. The Texans are 9-1, including wins against 3 Superbowl contenders... And, they are coming off a season where they advanced in the playoffs with a rookie, 5th round, 3rd string QB. Chill out!

This offense just set records and you're saying it's not geared up? We're halfway through the race and you're asking for them to pour it on and finish the job? The point to pour it on and finish the job is in the playoffs.

Personally, I think it's you having unrealistic expectations. We've put some ass-whoopings on some good teams this year. We've beaten teams by shutting them down in defensive battles; we've beaten teams by outscoring them in shoot-outs. We're 9-1.

During the game thread, you were saying "patience." I think you need to say that to yourself just a bit.

So, if you were in charge of a football team, you would burn through a Hall of Fame coach every year or two... this is how you defend yourself?

You can not go through the history of any coach in the NFL without seeing games where their team isn't playing to their potential. I get being critical of it when it happens. I am too. However, communicating as if the coach isn't qualified or is a failure, that is where you lose most reasonable people. The Texans are 9-1, including wins against 3 Superbowl contenders... And, they are coming off a season where they advanced in the playoffs with a rookie, 5th round, 3rd string QB. Chill out!
If GP is an owner or a GM, he would have fired Belichick as the Browns did when he had only one winning season in his five years there.

And look where that franchise is now.

And if GP was with the Pats, he would have fired Belichick in his first year when they went 5-11.

Yupe, GP will have his way no matter what :)

Is it safe to say Houston franchises don't do to well against backups?? :kitten:

We stopped Jason Campbell.

I wonder if we're going to see Shaun Hill Thursday. The Texans are starting to look like bad news for starting QBs.

The Texans are starting to look like bad news for starting QBs.

AL%20Davis.jpg

The quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard.

Well noone apologized when we took New England to OT in our sorry years and they barely squeaked out a win vs. us.

Well noone apologized when we took New England to OT in our sorry years and they barely squeaked out a win vs. us.

That was 2003 - The Pats went to (and won) the Super Bowl that year. We actually beat the Panthers that season - they were the other team to go to the Super Bowl.

Andre was actually targeted 19 times.

Quick answer to your question: Johnson is better than the guys trying to cover him.

Expanded Answer: Johnson is flat out better than the guy's attempting to cover him , and Kubiak's route combinations are brilliant.

Don't remember Schaub won a game for us. That was refreshing. But I'm still not buying into a QB w/ zero pocket-presence.

Don't remember Schaub won a game for us. That was refreshing. But I'm still not buying into a QB w/ zero pocket-presence.

If you go back to the 2010 season , there are several games which Schaub put the team ahead .... and the defense failed to hold the two most notable were the Jets game where they had ~1:40 on the clock inside the 5 and scored a TD and to win .... the Jaq's game with the hail mary to end it.

If you go back to the 2010 season , there are several games which Schaub put the team ahead .... and the defense failed to hold the two most notable were the Jets game where they had ~1:40 on the clock inside the 5 and scored a TD and to win .... the Jaq's game with the hail mary to end it.

Two games we won that season that I think apply:

1. Matt throws a TD pass to Andre with 1:13 left to tie the Redskins game. Texans subsquently win 30-27 on an OT FG by Rackers. The Texans trailed by 17 points late in the 3rd qtr., and 10 points at the beginning of the 4th qtr.

2. Texans trail the Chiefs by 10 points with 5 minutes left in the game, and score two TD's including an 11 yard TD pass to Andre with 1:54 left to win 35-31.

I heard someone call in on Koch and Kalu's show this morining and say in all seriousness that they thought yesterday was the first fourth quarter comeback Schaub ever led. He didn't say it in a derogatory fashion, he just passed it on as a fact he felt people should know. Jeez, some of our fans are stupid.

1. Matt throws a TD pass to Andre with 1:13 left to tie the Redskins game. Texans subsquently win 30-27 on an OT FG by Rackers. The Texans trailed by 17 points late in the 3rd qtr., and 10 points at the beginning of the 4th qtr.

2. Texans trail the Chiefs by 10 points with 5 minutes left in the game, and score two TD's including an 11 yard TD pass to Andre with 1:54 left to win 35-31.

I heard someone call in on Koch and Kalu's show this morining and say in all seriousness that they thought yesterday was the first fourth quarter comeback Schaub ever led. He didn't say it in a derogatory fashion, he just passed it on as a fact he felt people should know. Jeez, some of our fans are stupid.

Both of those fit the description ....

If people are going to knock on Schaub , I expect it to be for his warts .... which he surely has in lack of mobility and arm strength.

Just dont go off half cocked when you dont have a clue ....

Watching him in that 5 wide set yesterday .... man he did what he wanted , when he wanted. That was a huge question answered .... cause I wondered how they would respond in that situation .... Could they protect Schaub with the defense knowing they had to throw ? Could they move the ball without play action ? Could they get it done in the redzone ?!

Both of those fit the description ....

If people are going to knock on Schaub , I expect it to be for his warts .... which he surely has in lack of mobility and arm strength.

Just dont go off half cocked when you dont have a clue ....

Watching him in that 5 wide set yesterday .... man he did what he wanted , when he wanted. That was a huge question answered .... cause I wondered how they would respond in that situation .... Could they protect Schaub with the defense knowing they had to throw ? Could they move the ball without play action ? Could they get it done in the redzone ?!

Man.... I agree with everything you're saying, but...

Matt has plenty of opportunity to play like he did yesterday, but he don't. It seems like he waits until we're 14 points down before he "makes **** happen" He wasn't just sitting in a perfect pocket for that comeback. He didn't settle for throwing it out of bounds. He knew we needed a play & he didn't give up on any of them. He did what he had to do to give our guys time to get open. He didn't look like Ben Rothlisberger or RGIII, but he escaped pressure, he stepped up, he waited that extra second.

I hate it when we are up by 3 & he throws it away on third down instead of trying to extend the play for just one more second. Playing it safe.... we're 9-1, I get it, & if it gets us a Lombardi, I'll take it.

But in my little mind, third down is always the time. If we're in field goal range, I can understand it. But we should never go 3 & out. Not if we have the offense we think we have. (Never is hyperbole, just saying I think we go 3 & out more than we should.... even if we lead the league with the least 3 & outs, I think we go it more than we should).

Matt has plenty of opportunity to play like he did yesterday, but he don't. It seems like he waits until we're 14 points down before he "makes **** happen" He wasn't just sitting in a perfect pocket for that comeback. He didn't settle for throwing it out of bounds. He knew we needed a play & he didn't give up on any of them. He did what he had to do to give our guys time to get open. He didn't look like Ben Rothlisberger or RGIII, but he escaped pressure, he stepped up, he waited that extra second.

I hate it when we are up by 3 & he throws it away on third down instead of trying to extend the play for just one more second. Playing it safe.... we're 9-1, I get it, & if it gets us a Lombardi, I'll take it.

But in my little mind, third down is always the time. If we're in field goal range, I can understand it. But we should never go 3 & out. Not if we have the offense we think we have. (Never is hyperbole, just saying I think we go 3 & out more than we should.... even if we lead the league with the least 3 & outs, I think we go it more than we should).

And sometimes you just take what the defense gives you. That 1st 4th quarter TD to make it a 7 point game was a 7 minute drive. They didn't just force their will down the field. They took what the Jags were giving them. The Jags made them eat clock and the Texans had to be perfect to do what they did and they were.

As far as the 3 and outs are concerned, I think part of the problem is the run game. At the end of the day the numbers look good but there's just too many instances where there are minimal gains, if not losses, that puts them behind schedule. The run game is almost Barry Sanders-ish. 3 carries for losses and then busting one for 50. Not that that was Sanders fault - horrible Lions o-line I know.

I don't remember which game it was, but Foster had something like 24 carries in a game for 120 yards or something like that. Looks like an awesome day, 5 yard average per carry, but 12 of his 24 carries that day were for less than 2 yards, with about 4 or 5 going for losses. The run game is just too inconsistant, even though at the end of the day, they're a top rushing team.

I get all that ..... but you have to understand that .... taking those unnecessary chances can backfire and in the process , cost you W's.

Schaub does what he has to .... to win. He manages the game and limits his mistakes.

A win by one point counts just as much as a win by 30 in the standings.

I also know that they want to have him healthy for the playoffs .... and limiting his exposure to hits when the team has a lead , no matter how large is one way to ... do your best to assure that he's under center when playoff time rolls around.

I mean , we all love what TJ Yates did last season .... but I want more than a win in round one and a well played game on the road in round two.

As far as the 3 and outs are concerned, I think part of the problem is the run game. At the end of the day the numbers look good but there's just too many instances where there are minimal gains, if not losses, that puts them behind schedule. The run game is almost Barry Sanders-ish. 3 carries for losses and then busting one for 50. Not that that was Sanders fault - horrible Lions o-line I know.

I don't remember which game it was, but Foster had something like 24 carries in a game for 120 yards or something like that. Looks like an awesome day, 5 yard average per carry, but 12 of his 24 carries that day were for less than 2 yards, with about 4 or 5 going for losses. The run game is just too inconsistant, even though at the end of the day, they're a top rushing team.

I agree with this ... the run game , even tho they lead the league in rushing yardage and rushing attempts per game .... aint gettin it done.

They are in the bottom third of the league in terms of average per attempt - 3.6 ypc if I recall correctly.

They really miss Briesel and Winston more than any of us wants to admit in that aspect .... tho I completely understand they had little choice because of the cap.

This is also the main reason I'd like to see (at least at this moment in time) them take an OL with a premium pick in the next draft.

Matt has plenty of opportunity to play like he did yesterday, but he don't. It seems like he waits until we're 14 points down before he "makes **** happen"

And in exactly how many games have we been 14 pts down this season??
Twice maybe...

He wasn't just sitting in a perfect pocket for that comeback. He didn't settle for throwing it out of bounds. He knew we needed a play & he didn't give up on any of them. He did what he had to do to give our guys time to get open. He didn't look like Ben Rothlisberger or RGIII, but he escaped pressure, he stepped up, he waited that extra second.

That was the O-line stepping up and doing a stellar job as much, if not more, than it was Schaub moving around and buying time. The O-line wasn't letting the Jags' pass rush get to the QB.

i'm starting to wonder if we're underestimating schaub's arm strength - myself included. nobody's comparing him to jamarcus russell, but he's been firing it all season. what brought it to my attention was reports that keenum had nowhere near the velocity on his throws as schaub, so i started watching more closely, and schaub seems to have as much zip as well as distance as almost anybody. the difference is he has better touch and accuracy, as some receivers have said "the most catchable ball they've seen" instead of rocketing through the receiver like favre. i think the underthrown deep balls in past seasons put it into our heads that he couldnt throw it that far, when more likely he underthrew on purpose to be on the safe side of a completion.

And sometimes you just take what the defense gives you.

If all he did was take what the defense gave him, then he doesn't deserve any cred for the win. We should thank the Jags for giving it to us.

Expanded Answer: Johnson is flat out better than the guy's attempting to cover him , and Kubiak's route combinations are brilliant.

AJ tends to struggle against talented corners that are very talented and/or talented with comparable size (i.e. Revis - super talented, second i.e. Cromartie - gifted with comparable size).

On second thought, I'm not sure it's as much as "AJ struggles" as much as as it they do a good job against him.... and those guys are so far and few between.

If all he did was take what the defense gave him, then he doesn't deserve any cred for the win. We should thank the Jags for giving it to us.

I had this response ready:

*Forgive me for not reading the entire exchange between Speedy and you, but on face value (and admittedly context is everything). That said, that's pretty much the most strawman argument and dumbest thing I've ever heard.... (or read). *

Before I posted this, I went back to get some perspective before I spoke out of turn... Let me ask this, how many times in this, thus far 9-1 season, have the Texans been down by 14? How many times were they last year with a 7-3 Schaub with the season being wrapped up by the rook???

I had this response ready:

*Forgive me for not reading the entire exchange between Speedy and you, but on face value (and admittedly context is everything). That said, that's pretty much the most strawman argument and dumbest thing I've ever heard.... (or read). *

Before I posted this, I went back to get some perspective before I spoke out of turn... Let me ask this, how many times in this, thus far 9-1 season, have the Texans been down by 14? How many times were they last year with a 7-3 Schaub with the season being wrapped up by the rook???

It's a reading comprehension thing. I don't think Matt "just took what the defense gave him" That's what he does on those games he doesn't have to throw for 572 yards (or whatever).

He played his but off yesterday. He didn't accept what the defense gave him. He took what we needed.

Here's what I think.

Schaub has matured to the point where he does whatever it takes to win. He's not worried about stats and rankings, he's worried about wins.

Prior to last season, it was pretty much on Schaub's shoulders and even then, our defense was so bad it would find new and excruciating ways to lose. Last year, Schaub started to realize what he had on the defense and that changed his approach.

NOW he's more sensitive to what the game requires. If it's a game where he can sit back and let the game come to him without having to take chances, he'll do that. If it's a game where he has to dink and dunk, he'll do that. If it's a game where he has to check down to running plays, he'll do that. But Sunday he showed that if it's a game where he's got to toss the ball all over the field to get it done, he can still do that.

As someone else mentioned, there are people on the board that think he's got a noodle arm. While I don't think he has a cannon, I think he can make all the throws. He's stronger than a lot of people think. Now... the interception in OT, that was because he was off balance as he threw. He had people crashing into him and he was trying to protect his legs at the same time he was throwing.

Schaub has been sacked 13 times in 10 games. You're seriously going to say he has no pocket presence to a fan base that watched David Carr for 5 years?

You don't know what you're talking about.

The Chiefs game was more like 20 seconds left on the Andre TD.

Let's not forget the epic drive against Miami a few years back when he ran it in on 4th down.

I ought to bookmark this post for those people referenced above who think that Schaub can't lead his team to comebacks:

1. 2007 against Miami. Brings team back from 16-7 deficit. Drives the team from its own 3 to a last-second FG in the greatest game Kris Brown ever had.

2. 2008 at Jacksonville. Leads the team to a tying FG in a drive that began with less than 2:00 left. Texans lose the OT cointoss and never see the ball again.

3. 2008 against Miami (the year Miami rode the Wildcat to the playoffs). The QB draw for the win after leading a 90-yard drive in the last two minutes, featuring a great 4th down catch by Dre.

4. 2008 at Green Bay. Texans down by 1 heading into the fourth quarter, Schaub leads them back to the win. Another game-winning drive that started inside the Texans' five.

5. 2009 at Tennessee. Overcomes a 21-7 deficit and a ridiculous peformance by Chris Johnson (this was the game where we forgot to cover him when he split wide) to beat a team that was coming off a 13-3 record.

6. 2009 at Arizona. Brought team back from 21-0 deficit. But he threw a pick-6 at the end to lose the game. Still, he put the team on his back.

7. 2009 at Indy. Overcame 13-0 deficit to take a 17-13 lead. After Indy went back up, Schaub orchestrated a beautiful drive to set up Brown to tie the game. But Brown's downward spiral began here as his kick went wide.

8. 2009 v. New England. Brought Texans back from 2 TD deficit to win the game in the fourth quarter. Last game of the season, and the Texans put themselves in position for the playoffs, but they didn't get the help they needed in the late games.

9. 2010 at Washington. Rallies team from 27-10 for a stirring comeback win.

10. 2010 v. Kansas City. Overcomes a 10 point 4th quarter deficit and tosses game-winning TD with :11 left.

11. 2010 at Jacksonville. Erases 14 point deficit at half and then, after they fell behind again, he brought them back to a tie. Until the Texans pitiful D couldn't stop a Hail Mary.

12. 2010 at NY Jets. Rallies Texans back from 17 down against the Jets at their peak under Rex Ryan. Only to have the defense surrender an 80-yard TD drive with less than a minute to go to Mark Sanchez.

13. 2010 v. Baltimore. Sort of the 2008 Cardinal game redux. Erases a 21 point deficit in a frenzied comeback only to be undone by a pick-6. Still, he played about as well as he's ever played in throwing the Texans back into the ballgame.

14. Yesterday.

Just off the top of my head . . .

When Schaub threw that INT in overtime, did anyone else have flash-backs to that Baltimore game from 2010?

BTW, Schaub also has the 14th highest total as well. Only guy with two games in said top 15.

1. Norm Van Brocklin+ 554
2. Warren Moon+ 527
Matt Schaub (31) 527
3. Boomer Esiason 522
4. Dan Marino+ 521
5. Matthew Stafford (23) 520
6. Tom Brady (34) 517
7. Phil Simms 513
8. Eli Manning (31) 510
Drew Brees (27) 510
9. Vince Ferragamo 509
10. Y.A. Tittle+ 505
11. Elvis Grbac 504
12. Ben Roethlisberger (27) 503
13. Jake Plummer 499
14. Matt Schaub (29) 497
15. Joe Namath+ 496

As far as the original thread line, I put Moon's performance a bit higher than Schaub's. Moon was playing in bad weather, against the top-rated pass D in the NFL that season and completely shredded them. He also would've broken the record if not for a bad call on a catch made by Haywood Jefferies.

As far as the original thread line, I put Moon's performance a bit higher than Schaub's. Moon was playing in bad weather, against the top-rated pass D in the NFL that season and completely shredded them. He also would've broken the record if not for a bad call on a catch made by Haywood Jefferies.

Also, the QBs were not treated like porcelain dolls back then. :mariopalm:

Man .... Van Brocklin's record of 554 has stood since 1951 .... Thats amazing.

In defense of Mr. Warren Moon, Moon did it in FOUR quarters (Schaub did it in an overtime game) and Moon pulled off the throttle in that game against the Browns because he didn't want to break the record if it meant humiliating the other team. :tiphat:...yet another reason he's in the Hall of Fame

When Schaub threw that INT in overtime, did anyone else have flash-backs to that Baltimore game from 2010?

Yeah. I was not in a good space after that.
It was a little dicey, but I never wavered; for some reason, I believed that we're gonna pull it out.

They sent the blitz and Schaub had to throw from his back foot, so I wasn't really mad at him. He saw the opportunity and took a shot downfield to AJ.

I really thought that the D would step up and they did.
For the little they did during the regular time, the pass rush came alive in OT.
I counted 7 pressures (or batted ball) on 11 pass plays.

On the last play, the 4-man pressure (against 7 in max protect) didn't quite get there, but Henne knew that he couldn't wait much longer. He didn't know that Watt would end up tumbling at his (Henne's) feet.

In defense of Mr. Warren Moon, Moon did it in FOUR quarters (Schaub did it in an overtime game) and Moon pulled off the throttle in that game against the Browns because he didn't want to break the record if it meant humiliating the other team. :tiphat:...yet another reason he's in the Hall of Fame
Moon is all class and was the perfect QB for the Oilers.

I ought to bookmark this post for those people referenced above who think that Schaub can't lead his team to comebacks:

Unless I've got my maths wrong, the Texans are 8-6 in games that Schaub has won from behind according to you :thinking:

I'm a Schaub fan and I do see that he is capable of leading comeback drives and all, I'm not disputing that and your post wasn't aimed at me, but come on dude, 8-6 in the games you referenced, that isn't proving anyones point at all.

Unless I've got my maths wrong, the Texans are 8-6 in games that Schaub has won from behind according to you :thinking:

I'm a Schaub fan and I do see that he is capable of leading comeback drives and all, I'm not disputing that and your post wasn't aimed at me, but come on dude, 8-6 in the games you referenced, that isn't proving anyones point at all.
8-6 in those games points directly to a horrible defense that got them into the come-from-behind scenario to start with. At least half of those 6 losses are directly attributable to the defense not being able to stop a good college team.

8-6 in those games points directly to a horrible defense that got them into the come-from-behind scenario to start with. At least half of those 6 losses are directly attributable to the defense not being able to stop a good college team.

I agree with DocBar here.

Like I told my wife about the conspiracy theory. In so many words, I told her "you just watch, they will go to OT and the better team will win."

And we were better on both sides of the ball in OT.
That's our true color there.

Back