Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
You also couldn't see how people didn't see how the "right way, build incrementally for ten years" approach wasn't the new guiding light in the NFL.

Weird how so many people are so blind all the time.

I'm still behind O'Brien as a coach. I'd like him to prove is some more over the next couple of years rather than crown him with infallibility just because he has a Texans baseball cap.
I know patience from sports fans is rare and not highly regarded by other fans. I was never on board with a 10 year plan... However, i recognized it was reasonable that it would take a few years to fix the mess, which included a horrid cap situation which took Two years to unwind from. I was not blind. I saw Kubiak's weaknesses. It is not blind to believe a coach can learn from his mistakes. I believe a bigger mistake than too much faith in a coach would be to hold him to an impossible standard, continuing to make coaching changes every two years- as if great coaches grow on trees.

Regarding OBrien, I dont think he is infallible, but I sure have been impressed... What I am not seeing are legitimate critiques from those who are unimpressed with him so far. What did you see from him last year that you didnt like?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Brees, Rivers, Rodgers and Manning were all brought in to be the man. There was no question on their starting, only when. Might as well try to argue their names are different.

Wilson is the closest analogy and even there that was two unknowns with one the clearly intended starter. His two starts turned out to be a mirage. It's a fluke not a plan.
They were all brought in based on their market worth... You assume that the money and draft expense of each demonstrates the team's commitment level. It is a fair assumption. However, they drafted them and/or paid them what they did because that was what was required to gain their service... Not because they wanted to demonstrate a commitment. Russell Wilson still doesnt make what Mallett is making... Because they didnt have to. Did the Patriots believe in Brady before signing him to his first big deal?... When? Did the Chargers ever worry that they made amistake with Rivers? Who knows.

The Texans may believe Mallett is a future HoF Qb. Do you really want them to pay him like it right now?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
What did you see from him last year that you didnt like?
Saw a lot of good things but sticking to the question:

Didn’t trade for Mallett earlier.

Didn't start Mallett earlier.

Lost the TEs.

Took AJ out of the gameplan/turned him into a split wide RB for a 6 game stretch (weeks 8-13).

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Brees, Rivers, Rodgers and Manning were all brought in to be the man. There was no question on their starting, only when. Might as well try to argue their names are different.

Wilson is the closest analogy and even there that was two unknowns with one the clearly intended starter. His two starts turned out to be a mirage. It's a fluke not a plan.
xtruroyx labeled these "bold moves". Rodgers is the only move of that bunch that I think could be labeled that.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
They were all brought in based on their market worth... You assume that the money and draft expense of each demonstrates the team's commitment level. It is a fair assumption. However, they drafted them and/or paid them what they did because that was what was required to gain their service... Not because they wanted to demonstrate a commitment. Russell Wilson still doesnt make what Mallett is making... Because they didnt have to. Did the Patriots believe in Brady before signing him to his first big deal?... When? Did the Chargers ever worry that they made amistake with Rivers? Who knows.

The Texans may believe Mallett is a future HoF Qb. Do you really want them to pay him like it right now?
I said nothing about money or draft picks.

I said they were brought in to be the man.

xtruroyx labeled these "bold moves". Rodgers is the only move of that bunch that I think could be labeled that.
That's nice. Bold, decisive, committed, aggressive, pick a word. They were brought in to be the starter except for Wilson who was insurance for an aggressive move.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I mostly like OB. But this qb thing is irking me. If one of these guys turns out to be the guy, great. But let's pick one and at least invest in them being the guy. Not monetarily, but reps, confidence, ownership, continuity. Ob's had chances to take guys and pick guys and definitively put them in roles. Going into year two we still have no idea about qb.

Going into year three with no idea won't be good.

Let's pick a guy and commit.
What guy? And why is a lack of depth at the QB position a bad thing? I am sure that the most promising QB will get plenty of reps... As for confidence, whose confidence and how do you measure it? It is not as if OBrien is planning to use a two Qb system... I dont get the obsession with gifting players with a position they havent earned. Didnt we see enough of that with Kubiak?

Also, i think you are making a bad assumption that the fact that you "have no idea about qb" means that OBrien doesnt. It is April after all. He may have total confidence in Mallett but believes it unwise to gift the job to him.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Was I aware the cute nurse worked there when the evening began?

You call waiting until the 6th round after counting on Drew Bledsoe, being rewarded for being atrocious, lucking into another franchise putting a stud in his prime on the market, waiting until the 3rd after backing the money truck up for Matt Flynn, and being the franchise to mistakenly ditch a stud in his prime bold moves? Aaron Rodgers was brilliant.

What looks like a tidy narrative made with cunning moves after the fact often is anything but while the story is still being spun.

Ted Johnson has commente on this a bunch. Tom Brady started out as fourth on the depth chart. He beat guys out to move to number two. Yes, it is pretty bold to draft a sixth round guy that is looking like cut bait maybe practice squad maybe out of the league and then to see enough in him to move him into the back up role over two other guys. Meanwhile we have a fourth rd guy that is looking like an inactive on gameday guy for two straight years. You can call it luck but there was some bold moves and some actual placement to be next in line involved there.

Colts could have taken leaf.

The bold move with Wilson was actually. Starting him.

Trading for rivers to be your guy was a bold move. And then starting him even though Brees was coming off of injury.

Picking up Bree's for the saints and naming him the guy.

taming Rodgers in the first round meant he'd be your guy. Taking him and then when the time was right getting rid of your hall of famer to then start said rookie is a bold move.

Having two qb's neither of whom are being put in the position to be the guy even if they win the job in camp is not bold. It's non committal.

Titans or jags may end up finding a franchise guy before we do since apparently they're ok with grabbing a guy deemed to be the guy, devoting resources to them and then cutting bait when it doesn't work out. They aren't fiddling around with 4th rounders they're semi commited to and hoyer.

Bold would have been naming mallett the guy, letting savage be your number two. Not piddling around with hoyers of the world.

I'm not even saying hoyer won't do the Texans good this year or mallett won't emerge as the guy. But again, anybody can throw a bunch of **** at a fence like a monkey and hope that a piece sticks.

This is an nfl head coach. Please use that expertise and decipher who is best for the lead dog role. Choose them and devote all your resources into them to get them where they need to be.

bob needs to be better than us. Make a choice. Make the right choice. So far it's looking like two years we are going with the murky approach at qb. That's no Bueno.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
What guy? And why is a lack of depth at the QB position a bad thing? I am sure that the most promising QB will get plenty of reps... As for confidence, whose confidence and how do you measure it? It is not as if OBrien is planning use a two Qb system... I dont get the obsession with gifting players with a position they havent earned. Didnt we see enough of that with Kubiak?

Also, i think you are making a bad assumption that the fact that you "have no idea about qb" means that OBrien doesnt. It is April after all. He may have total confidence in Mallett but believes it unwise to gift the job to him.
ive already answered all those questions and some I'm not going to answer because I havent said anything regarding it. And you might want to rephrase your second question.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Saw a lot of good things but sticking to the question:

Didn’t trade for Mallett earlier.

Didn't start Mallett earlier.

Lost the TEs.

Took AJ out of the gameplan/turned him into a split wide RB for a 6 game stretch (weeks 8-13).
Too many variables beyond OBrien to criticize the timing of the Mallett trade.

Perhaps he should have started Mallett earlier... Hard to know.

I could care less who gets the targets and how much a certain player is highlighted. Still, it is worth questioning given the offensive struggles during that period of time. Given the brilliant offensive game plans i saw at various times last season- particularly in week 16 vs. Baltimore, i am quite confident in his offensive mind and ability to get his team to execute.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I dont get the obsession with gifting players with a position they havent earned. Didnt we see enough of that with Kubiak?
I think fan complaints about coaches gifting players jobs or being too loyal to them are bunk 99% of the time. It's just fans gilding the lily on "I don't like player X."

That comment is a general one, i.e. not specific to Kubiak.

Declaring Mallett the continuing starter from last year would not have been gifting anything. There are no two coaches around with a better idea about him.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I think fan complaints about coaches gifting players jobs or being too loyal to them are bunk 99% of the time. It's just fans gilding the lily on "I don't like player X."

The suggestion is that we should show confidence in a Qb by making it clear of the organizations commitment instead of making them compete for the job.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

Yes. That's pretty much my point. We had a number one overall pick too.

Those guys were brought in to be the man.

Hell kubiak watched some film on schaub, played golf with him and said...hey that's my guy. And then we committed to him as the starter. All these teams are actively getting guys with specific goals in mind for them.

I'm just wondering how long OB can stretch this thing out. Not committing to a guy. Shuffling guys in and out during the season. Going into 2018 with savage competing with a 5th rounder and case Keemun who we've brought back again.

Because there just wasn't a qb that was juuuuuuust right for OB.

Should've gotten started on this last year. Instead we mucked around with fitz who we traded to bring in hoyer.

It's fine if OB wants to jack around with these guys being all coy, but he better win with this jumbled mess he's creating. I don't think it's likely this method gets us what we want but if he can swing it, great.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Ted Johnson has commente on this a bunch. Tom Brady started out as fourth on the depth chart. He beat guys out to move to number two. Yes, it is pretty bold to draft a sixth round guy that is looking like cut bait maybe practice squad maybe out of the league and then to see enough in him to move him into the back up role over two other guys. Meanwhile we have a fourth rd guy that is looking like an inactive on gameday guy for two straight years. You can call it luck but there was some bold moves and some actual placement to be next in line involved there. So Brady played into the role. Good for him.

Colts could have taken leaf. It's been said time and time again, the Colts were never taking Leaf.

The bold move with Wilson was actually. Starting him. Wilson played into the role. Good for him

Trading for rivers to be your guy was a bold move. And then starting him even though Brees was coming off of injury. They had the top pick in the draft. They moved for Rivers because Eli refused to play there and they refused to pay Brees. NO has a ring to show for that.

Picking up Bree's for the saints and naming him the guy. How many times do very good starters appear on the market? How many in the last two years?

taming Rodgers in the first round meant he'd be your guy. Taking him and then when the time was right getting rid of your hall of famer to then start said rookie is a bold move. I agreed with this one

Having two qb's neither of whom are being put in the position to be the guy even if they win the job in camp is not bold. It's non committal.

Titans or jags may end up finding a franchise guy before we do since apparently they're ok with grabbing a guy deemed to be the guy, devoting resources to them and then cutting bait when it doesn't work out. They aren't fiddling around with 4th rounders they're semi commited to and hoyer.

Bold would have been naming mallett the guy, letting savage be your number two. Not piddling around with hoyers of the world.

I'm not even saying hoyer won't do the Texans good this year or mallett won't emerge as the guy. But again, anybody can throw a bunch of **** at a fence like a monkey and hope that a piece sticks.

This is an nfl head coach. Please use that expertise and decipher who is best for the lead dog role. Choose them and devote all your resources into them to get them where they need to be.

bob needs to be better than us. Make a choice. Make the right choice. So far it's looking like two years we are going with the murky approach at qb. That's no Bueno.
All these moves are easy to congratulate after the fact. If Mallet hadn't gotten hurt last year he may have locked the position up and you'd be calling the trade to get him a "bold" move.

I think you're criticizing what the sausage looks like while it's being made instead of judging the end result.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Eh... I think we know exactly what's going on at that position, just don't like what we're seeing.

I think OB was truly impressed with the core of the team & realized he could have won a lot more games had he not "wasted" time trying to teach Fitz his system.

If he didn't think we could be AFC Championship game competitive, he probably wouldn't have been so adamant about signing Hoyer. Probably look to drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

Or he's as loyal to Hoyer as Kubiak was to Schaub & we're going to waste the career of the bestest defensive player of our lifetimes.
You're better than me because I have no idea what will happen. I don't know if OB does either.

Will mallett win it in training camp, will hoyer. Will savage shock us all? Will we draft another 4th rd guy to compete with savage?

Maybe he does know who'll win it and it's all just for show. I'd feel better about that tbh.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
All these moves are easy to congratulate after the fact. If Mallet hadn't gotten hurt last year he may have locked the position up and you'd be calling the trade to get him a "bold" move.
I didn't name the qb's you did. David Carr was a bold move. It didn't work out, but the team made the wrong choice. But again, they are being paid to make the right choice. They failed. Bob can't be afraid of failure. Good coaches get their guys and coach them. If he's picking the wrong guy then he's not that good at what he's supposed to be good at.

Again, you're missing the point. It's not about hindsight. I didn't name hall of fame qb's. I just commented on the ones presented. The same thing applies to busts. Someone didn't do a good job if you picked a bust. Or **** just happened.

Either way, that's the job.

I think you're criticizing what the sausage looks like while it's being made instead of judging the end result

It's called having an opinion. This is a message board. Let me make your sausage mixed with pig **** and dog vomit. Don't judge the process. Just wait to taste it.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
I didn't name the qb's you did. David Carr was a bold move. It didn't work out, but the team made the wrong choice. But again, they are being paid to make the right choice. They failed. Bob can't be afraid of failure. Good coaches get their guys and coach them. If he's picking the wrong guy then he's not that good at what he's supposed to be good at.

Again, you're missing the point. It's not about hindsight. I didn't name hall of
Being bold and being committed to something aren't necessarily the same thing. There was nothing bold about an NFL expansion franchise choosing the consensus #1 QB as their first ever draft choice. Not being bold isn't necessarily a bad thing. Choosing Peyton Manning #1 wasn't bold. It was the right move, but choosing a QB #1 when everyone in the world expects you to pick a QB #1 isn't a bold move.

You know what does have the potential to be bold? Not choosing a QB you don't think is gonna get you where you want to go even if lots of other people think you should. Now is that what OB did when he passed on Bortels, Bridgewater, Carr et al? Well, clearly the Texans consciously passed on Bortles and Carr as all it took was a draft pick to get them. Bridgewater and Garroppolo, maybe they intentionally let them get away, maybe they got swiped out from under them. Maybe someday O'Brien will write his autobiography, and we'll find out. I could include Rick Smith's autobiography too, but that will never tell us anything, because a.) Rick will never do anything warranting writing an autobiography, and b.) Even if he goes ahead and writes it anyway, nobody will ever read it, so we still won't know.

Finally, you know the difference between finding the right solution via bold measures, finding it via obvious measures, and finding it via "puling something out of your nether regions and just getting lucky with it measures"? Absolutely nothing.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I'm hoping the Texans Bludgeon all of their opponents next season.
If they use half the effort to bludgeon their opponents as members of this board try to bludgeon each other with their sharp wit and know it all attitude, the Texans should be in pretty good shape.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Call me sentimental if you will, but I prefer the word "impale" over "bludgeon". Bludgeon is so crude and I've always been a fan of Vlad the third. He always got his point across and I respect that.

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!

I think you're criticizing what the sausage looks like while it's being made instead of judging the end result.
MSR

... Let me make your sausage mixed with pig **** and dog vomit. Don't judge the process. Just wait to taste it.
So Mallet and Hoyer are Pig **** and Dog Vomit? Which is which by the way? So you dislike the O'Brien approach to finding a franchise QB, and insist your idea of finding a franchise QB is superior to that of the HC? Exactly how many franchise QB's have found with this technique? Pointing to your perceived examples of your idea only demonstrates that you think you know anything about what really happened in those scenarios.

While we all appreciate your opinion, and have given it full consideration. We don't need someone trying to read the crystal ball. This is our coach, and his plan is the only one that matters until such time as it is clear it is either a success or a failure.

IMO, anyone who believes there was a QB competition last season is naive. I think every coach has a good idea who they are going to tap as the starter. Talking about competition is just lip service to the fans and the media. Playing your cards close to the vest is surely a wiser strategy than showing everyone your hand before the betting begins, no?

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Being bold and being committed to something aren't necessarily the same thing.
Yeah, in the sense that I am talking about they are exactly the same thing.

I'm not talking about anything else besides finding a starting QB and going with them. That is going to take a bold committment from OB and at some point hopefully he makes that decision.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!

Declaring Mallett the continuing starter from last year would not have been gifting anything. There are no two coaches around with a better idea about him.
I agree to an extent, but it is hard to deny the Kubiak - Schaub love that was going on here.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I agree to an extent, but it is hard to deny the Kubiak - Schaub love that was going on here.
Kubiak's mistake was who he had behind Schaub. It's not like Keenum came in and proved he's better and should have been started earlier or kept in games he was yanked from. After Schaub's injury it would have been a good idea to draft Osweiler, Wilson or Foles instead of waiting to the 5th.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
IMO, anyone who believes there was a QB competition last season is naive. I think every coach has a good idea who they are going to tap as the starter. Talking about competition is just lip service to the fans and the media. Playing your cards close to the vest is surely a wiser strategy than showing everyone your hand before the betting begins, no?
The only "competition" was for the back up spot. No one ever alluded to a competition for the starting job. OB said Fitz was his starter from day one. Yates, Keenum, & whoever else were competing for the back up job, until Mallett got here, then it was his job.

If you're talking about a competition between Fitz & Mallett... No, I don't think anyone thought that was a "competition."

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
The best example was gifting KJ a starting job his rookie yr.

Talk about embarrassing.
As opposed to Dominique Barber, Brice McCain, Sherrick McManus, Antwuan Molden or Karl Paymah?

He was the 2nd best on the team and so started with Quin. I don't consider that gifting. Bad planning yes.

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
The only "competition" was for the back up spot. No one ever alluded to a competition for the starting job. OB said Fitz was his starter from day one. Yates, Keenum, & whoever else were competing for the back up job, until Mallett got here, then it was his job.

If you're talking about a competition between Fitz & Mallett... No, I don't think anyone thought that was a "competition."
Actually O'Brien did not name Fitz the starter until the first day of Mandatory Mini Camp (June 17th). That is not day one, and he had previously said it was an open competition between all 3 QB's.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Actually O'Brien did not name Fitz the starter until the first day of Mandatory Mini Camp (June 17th). That is not day one, and he had previously said it was an open competition between all 3 QB's.
Nothing goes on before mandatory mini-camp for there to be a competition.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Still... For the purpose of this conversation I don't think this applies. There was no competition for the starting job. Only the holiest of Keenum homers thought ther was...

Oh, I see... Nvm

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
Nothing goes on before mandatory mini-camp for there to be a competition.
Nothing? Are you sure about that? :thinking:

OTA offseason workouts:

• May 27-29
  • June 2-3
  • June 5
  • June 9-10
  • June 12-13

Something is going on during those 10 days, or they would not be having those workouts. You're not trying to suggest coaches do not learn anything about their players during these workouts are you?

I stand by my opinion. O'Brien already knows who he is going to tap as the starter, and talking about open competition at the QB position is just fodder for the fans and the press, just like last season when he said the same nonsense, only to name Fitz starter before mini camp. So you are making my point for me. There will be no QB competition. There may eventually be a controversy if Mallett plays poorly, but there will be no real competition for the starting job at QB IMHO.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Nothing? Are you sure about that? :thinking:

OTA offseason workouts:

• May 27-29
  • June 2-3
  • June 5
  • June 9-10
  • June 12-13

Something is going on during those 10 days, or they would not be having those workouts. You're not trying to suggest coaches do not learn anything about their players during these workouts are you?
Nothing which could be called a competition. Wait until they actually happen and read the descriptions of what's going on - weigh in, rookie camp and then installing the basics of the playbook which is going through a ton of nomenclature and film with a few no pad, low speed, non-contact, non-full squad walk thrus. I suppose someone could disqualify themselves by showing poor work habits or being dumb as a box of rocks but otherwise, no there is nothing there for any kind of "competition."

I stand by my opinion. O'Brien already knows who he is going to tap as the starter, and talking about open competition at the QB position is just fodder for the fans and the press, just like last season when he said the same nonsense, only to name Fitz starter before mini camp. So you are making my point for me.
I agree now that you stated it this way. What I quoted before sounded as if you were saying exactly the opposite.

There will be no QB competition. There may eventually be a controversy if Mallett plays poorly, but there will be no real competition for the starting job at QB IMHO.
That remains to be seen. Last year it was experienced OB guy v. inexperienced Kubiak guy. This year is two OB guys. I hope you're correct and Mallett quickly gets the 1st team mantle, attention and reps.

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
Well if Pancakes says Hoyer, you know it's going to be Mallett.

Hey doc, would the injury suffered by Mallett result in a lump the size of a grapefruit on Mallett's chest? Seems like a torn muscle would leave a cavity, not a lump. General swelling, sure, but a lump the size if a grapefruit?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Well if Pancakes says Hoyer, you know it's going to be Mallett.

Hey doc, would the injury suffered by Mallett result in a lump the size of a grapefruit on Mallett's chest? Seems like a torn muscle would leave a cavity, not a lump. General swelling, sure, but a lump the size if a grapefruit?
Well, just like in the case of a complete triceps or biceps (pic below) tendon rupture.....

............ complete pectoralis major tendon insertion rupture many times creates what we call a "roller shade" deformity. The muscle itself can retract and bunch up in the middle of the chest in the case of the pectoralis muscle and in the middle of the arm in the case of the biceps and triceps. It almost looks like its being flexed (this is because its no longer being held out to length by its attachments to bone so it recoils like window-blinds that are suddenly pulled up). In the case of the biceps, this is called a "popeye sign". There will, as you alluded to, be a corresponding adjacent valley where the retracted muscle is no longer residing.

Start watching this VIDEO ~ the 2 minute period and see what happens to this weight lifter's left pectoralis major muscle area.

Mallet may have mildly strained his pec while weight lifting. However, he could not have have performed like he did in the Browns' game with anything more. Any significant injury to the pec came and the very end or after the Browns game, very likely in the next pregame practice as was reported. But he was on the Injury Report for that week. If there was any question of something beyond just a mild strain, enough to put him on the Injury Report, he should have not been allowed to practice, let alone to play his last game. The final rupture had to happen sometime during his last game.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Texans quarterback Ryan Mallett finally got his chance to start in the league last season. Unfortunately, his starting opportunity was cut short after three games when he tore a pectoral muscle. Mallet said on Monday he's finally back to healthy after rehabbing the injury, according to ESPN.com.

"I'm ready to go," Mallet replied. "I'm still getting better every day. I don't feel any restrictions. It's about me. It's about managing and being smart with my body. Just doing the right thing as we progress. I need to play in August, September, and those months. Not April right now, you know?"

Mallet is expected to split first team reps with newcomer Brian Hoyer in OTAs at quarterback.
Link

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Mallet is expected to split first team reps with newcomer Brian Hoyer in OTAs at quarterback.
Oh yeah? Well, if Tom Savage doesn't get some reps with the 1st team, they're leaving out the man who has the best chance of the 3 to become a franchise QB.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Oh yeah? Well, if Tom Savage doesn't get some reps with the 1st team, they're leaving out the man who has the best chance of the 3 to become a franchise QB.
What has he shown you to make you think that is even a remote possibility in 2015?

brg88tx

Waterboy
seegara, savage looked like he was crapping himself in the indy game and couldn't even hand the ball off. savage is garbage imo.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
seegara, savage looked like he was crapping himself in the indy game and couldn't even hand the ball off. savage is garbage imo.
Yes, he hadn't practiced with anybody but 3rd stringers and got thrown in with different personnel.

What has he shown you to make you think that is even a remote possibility in 2015?
Maybe not in 2015 and maybe not with the Texans. They aren't going to do what I think they should. And even then he isn't a lock, just has a better chance than "them" other 2 mullets.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Maybe not in 2015 and maybe not with the Texans. They aren't going to do what I think they should. And even then he isn't a lock, just has a better chance than "them" other 2 mullets.
ok, what makes you think that? What has given you that impression?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
ok, what makes you think that? What has given you that impression?
I think it's completely plausible that OB can make something happen with either Mallett or Hoyer. I'm not so confident that we'll see it happen though. I like to think Fitzpatrick's transformance from gunslinger to Mr conservative was part of the master plan & that he'll allow Mallett/Hoyer to throw the ball.

That said, I think that Savage's ability to learn the Penn State offense & walk on to a starting job is impressive. I even like the progress he showed during that senior season. Hope OB has a Master plan with Savage at the center. & getting Mallett & Hoyer so cheap were just too god for him to pass up.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think it's completely plausible that OB can make something happen with either Mallett or Hoyer. I'm not so confident that we'll see it happen though. I like to think Fitzpatrick's transformance from gunslinger to Mr conservative was part of the master plan & that he'll allow Mallett/Hoyer to throw the ball.

That said, I think that Savage's ability to learn the Penn State offense & walk on to a starting job is impressive. I even like the progress he showed during that senior season. Hope OB has a Master plan with Savage at the center. & getting Mallett & Hoyer so cheap were just too god for him to pass up.

When did Savage play at PSU? I think stating that Savage will be a much better QB at this point is ludicrous at best. He's a complete unknown, much moreso than Mallett or Hoyer

edit: PS, you're just throwing spitballs to see what sticks

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
let's see.

Hoyer is the losing Powerball ticket on your desk.

Mallet is the new set of losing numbers for this week's drawing.

Savage is the set of losing Texas Lotto numbers from the fortune cookie from last night's take out that we will play next week.

(so yes he does have the highest chance)

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Savage didn't go to Penn. St.
He was the starter at Rutgers and had a pretty good freshman year as their starter. He was the starter in his soph year until he suffered a hand injury. Then he transferred to Arizona when he couldn't win his job back from the freshman that had to step in for him. When Arizona changed coaches Savage switched schools again to Pitt where he was red-shirted for a year. He started for Pitt the year after he red-shirted so he had a year to get into the playbook. Kudos to him for using the red-shirt year wisely but I suspect he knew he was running out time to impress scouts.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When did Savage play at PSU? I think stating that Savage will be a much better QB at this point is ludicrous at best. He's a complete unknown, much moreso than Mallett or Hoyer

edit: PS, you're just throwing spitballs to see what sticks
Yeah, I meant Pitt...

You know how some are thinking OB will be salivating at the possibility of getting Haceknberg? I think he's been having second thoughts about passing on Savage when he wanted to go to PennState.

But yeah, spit balls.. that's kinda what "I hope" means.