Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Look at the Cards today, rookie Logan Thomas comes in and keeps team close, giving them a spark, I think.

Sometimes you just have to give the guy a chance and see what happens.
Did you watch the game? It was 24-13 when he came in. They lost 41-20.

He was 1/8 and ate 2 sacks. No pocket awareness and couldn't hit simple short routes over the middle. Had no chemistry with his WR's. He probably should have thrown 2-3 INT's in those 8 passes. His one completion was a pass into double coverage that somehow wasn't picked and then the other guy misses the tackle and the dude rolls 80 yards for a TD.

He looked like a guy who was undeniably not ready. Looked exactly like I would expect Savage to look like if we toss him out there.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
Look y'all, facts are we have no idea how far along Mallet is and no idea what's going on in this organisation's head(s). Believe me, I'm not one bit happy to have this bearded lavender packet behind center. I wasn't when we brought him in and I'm sure as hell not now. The idea of having a statue back there (no matter how Romanesque he may be) doesn't set well with me neither.

However...

I just don't see OB benching Fitz, until if sink below .500 or after the bye, whichever comes first.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Generalize much?
Not at all. Just go back and read the ridiculousness that existed over the last year regarding Case Keenum, and before that it was TJ Yates. Neither one of these guys should have gotten anywhere near the confidence that they did by the locals.

There are now plenty in here that are trying to justify the awful play of Fitzpatrick.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If I were the Texans I would rent Brady like the Astros did with Randy Johnson. Money well spent if he took us to the Super Bowl.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Not at all. Just go back and read the ridiculousness that existed over the last year regarding Case Keenum, and before that it was TJ Yates. Neither one of these guys should have gotten anywhere near the confidence that they did by the locals.

There are now plenty in here that are trying to justify the awful play of Fitzpatrick.
You act like no one but a select few could see Shitztastic for what he is, but I see the opposite.

Most people on here were dreading having The Beard here.

The Keenum crap I agree with.

MEGA SWATT

All Pro
Anyone who thinks Mallet is a popular option because he's the backup is nuts. He's a popular option because Fitzpatrick ****ING SUCKS. He sucks like Schaub sucked. He sucks like Carr sucked. We're Texans fans, we have a ****ing PHD in recognizing QB suck OK?

Mallet is a popular option because the guy being sent out there to sabotage our offense is Ryan Fitzpatrick. If Mallet sucks we've lost NOTHING. He can't suck more than this little Treasure Troll of bearded misery that OB brought in. If he does then run Savage out there. Look to the free agent market, find a guy playing in Canada.

All of the above is a better plan than more of this ****. This team isn't dead. Rex Grossman could take this team farther than Ryan Fitzpatrick.
MS mother fawking R

MEGA SWATT

All Pro
Anyone who thinks Mallet is a popular option because he's the backup is nuts. He's a popular option because Fitzpatrick ****ING SUCKS. He sucks like Schaub sucked. He sucks like Carr sucked. We're Texans fans, we have a ****ing PHD in recognizing QB suck OK?

Mallet is a popular option because the guy being sent out there to sabotage our offense is Ryan Fitzpatrick. If Mallet sucks we've lost NOTHING. He can't suck more than this little Treasure Troll of bearded misery that OB brought in. If he does then run Savage out there. Look to the free agent market, find a guy playing in Canada.

All of the above is a better plan than more of this ****. This team isn't dead. Rex Grossman could take this team farther than Ryan Fitzpatrick.
I would love to see Brady in a Texans uniform.
This. My god, this:bender:

FirstTexansFan

The Unknown Fan
I like some OB though man. I like the direction he has the team headed in for now at least.
Well I rarely disagree with what you post, but I haven't been happy with the hire from the beginning. I said it in another thread, he reminds me of Ed Biles in the Oiler days... just filling the position until someone comes along that has a clue. His clock management today was as bad or worse than Kubiaks, and no need in rehashing that 3rd and 2 in OT. He seems just as hard headed as the former regime in refusing to pull that leprechaun of a QB we have out there. But I'll be in front of the boob toob come Thursday night with beer in hand, well, because...... I'm a fan... and I need an excuse for my alcoholism :)

badboy

Hall of Fame
Let's see..OBrien is a QB guru and he trades for a QB that he is familiar with and many are pleased with but..he continues to play Fitz 100% of plays? Well Mallett needs to get familiar with system (on another thread)..uh what?

Maybe just maybe Mallett is not better than Fitz..

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Let's see..OBrien is a QB guru and he trades for a QB that he is familiar with and many are pleased with but..he continues to play Fitz 100% of plays? Well Mallett needs to get familiar with system (on another thread)..uh what?

It appears as though we will never know until he goes to the browns after Manziel retires to go back to college and Mallett leads them 2 8 straight SB victories :kitten:

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame

Fitz just did not play bad enough, especially with the Texans winning. After this game, OB cracked that door open and Mallet is peaking his head around the door, doing some voodoo on Fitz.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Well the suicide rate just went up with that line BB... way to thin the herd LOL
Most suicidal folks I have worked with have no clue what is really going on and refuse to accept most of their problems are caused by their own unrealistic expectations. They focus on negatives rather than positives and usually blame the wrong people for their circumstances.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Fitz just did not play bad enough, especially with the Texans winning. After this game, OB cracked that door open and Mallet is peaking his head around the door, doing some voodoo on Fitz.
based on anything rather than your wishful thinking? :)

FirstTexansFan

The Unknown Fan
Most suicidal folks I have worked with have no clue what is really going on and refuse to accept most of their problems are caused by their own unrealistic expectations. They focus on negatives rather than positives and usually blame the wrong people for their circumstances.
Too serious for me partner... I prefer a light hearted approach to my opinions :)

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Fitzy had 64 yards passing in the first half, and a smidge over 150 for the game with a very effective running game. His ceiling is a little over 200 per game, the only thing that kept this close was three turn overs and Foster, it should have been a blood bath with the TOP as it was.

Time for a change.

amazing80

Hall of Fame

Yup you are right, there is no chance Mallett would have thrown for 87 yards at the half.....forgive me oh great one :kubepalm:

Sometimes coaches are too stubborn and focused they don't see their mistakes and short comings. He is too loyal to fitz for no reason. The guy is trash. Arguing this point is foolish and not worth your time.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

Not particular to you but it applies...

...or OB is making a mistake. Tom Landry made a mistake keeping Staubach from starting. (don't anyone be brain dead enough to say that is equating Mallett to Staubach - the only comparison is HC's making decisions on QBs) Coaches make mistakes is a valid option also. Folks loved criticizing Kubiak's QB decisions last year. Now OB apparently can't be wrong in who he is starting.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

...or OB is making a mistake. Tom Landry made a mistake keeping Staubach from starting. (don't anyone be brain dead enough to say that is equating Mallett to Staubach - the only comparison is HC's making decisions on QBs) Coaches make mistakes is a valid option also. Folks loved criticizing Kubiak's QB decisions last year. Now OB apparently can't be wrong in who he is starting.
Jinx...Kind of.

I posted something similar in another thread.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yup you are right, there is no chance Mallett would have thrown for 87 yards at the half.....forgive me oh great one :kubepalm:

Sometimes coaches are too stubborn and focused they don't see their mistakes and short comings. He is too loyal to fitz for no reason. The guy is trash. Arguing this point is foolish and not worth your time.
why can't you just state your opinion without insulting? You have zero to say what Mallett would have done or not done. Obrien did not start him. That is a fact. Your just spouting off.

Scooter

Funky

i want to know just how o'brien got labeled a guru of anything. because brady? matt cassell got 10 wins before being craptastic everywhere else? the guy has 5 years NFL experience, all of which are doing probably not much on a team winning 10-13 games a year before and after.

Scooter

Funky

post of the year.

:bravo:

badboy

Hall of Fame

Staubach:
1969 6 games 1 start 23/47 49% 421 yds
1970 8 games 3 starts 44/82 53.7 542
1971 13 games 10 starts 126/211 59.7 1882 and that year he alternated with Morton and could not clearly beat him out until game 8 IIRC. Looks like he did not give Landry much to say he was a future HOF type QB

Also, I think there is always that one exception we can point to in any scenario. BTW I am a fan of Mallett just not as starter..yet

Mallett sucks or Belicheat wouldn't have let him go and kept Girafalo. If he was any good he would be starting already. No one is arguing that Fitz is awesome; he's average on his best days, below average overall. Mallett would get sacked on every other dropback. If anyone has watched him in the pre-season, they would know that. He can not move. Schaub would run circles around him.

Scooter

Funky
Mallett sucks or Belicheat wouldn't have let him go and kept Girafalo. If he was any good he would be starting already. No one is arguing that Fitz is awesome; he's average on his best days, below average overall. Mallett would get sacked on every other dropback. If anyone has watched him in the pre-season, they would know that. He can not move. Schaub would run circles around him.
no, belichick isnt going to pay a backup more than a rookie deal if he doesnt have to. he also isnt going to have a 30 year old sitting around waiting for brady to finally hang em up. with mallett's contract on it's last season, belichick did the wise thing, he re-upped his insurance policy while still having time to get a return on on the old one.

mallett may prove to suck, but if belichick thought as much, he wouldn't have been on their squad in the first place.

Vance87

All Pro
Like I said, OB didn't trade for Mallet (who he has a 4-year history with) to sit on the bench for too long. He is waiting for the right time. If Fitz sucks knob on thurdsay, expect a change. If Fitz does just enough for us to win, Fitz will stay in.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Staubach:
1969 6 games 1 start 23/47 49% 421 yds
1970 8 games 3 starts 44/82 53.7 542
1971 13 games 10 starts 126/211 59.7 1882 and that year he alternated with Morton and could not clearly beat him out until game 8 IIRC. Looks like he did not give Landry much to say he was a future HOF type QB

Also, I think there is always that one exception we can point to in any scenario. BTW I am a fan of Mallett just not as starter..yet
Please don't go down that path. Anyone with any Cowboys knowledge knows it was a Landry screw up including Landry.

Just get the point. Maybe Mallett sucks and maybe OB is making a mistake. Both are options.

Pollardized

Division Champ
Did you watch the game? It was 24-13 when he came in. They lost 41-20.

He was 1/8 and ate 2 sacks. No pocket awareness and couldn't hit simple short routes over the middle. Had no chemistry with his WR's. He probably should have thrown 2-3 INT's in those 8 passes. His one completion was a pass into double coverage that somehow wasn't picked and then the other guy misses the tackle and the dude rolls 80 yards for a TD.

He looked like a guy who was undeniably not ready. Looked exactly like I would expect Savage to look like if we toss him out there.
Yeah at first he threw a TD pass then fell apart. But at least you get a chance to see if the strong arm means anything. With Fitz I just don't see any long term plans so you have to know if Mallett can do anything better.

kingtexan

All Pro
When questioned recently about if he would hold Arian out for one game to save him for a more important opponent in a later game, BoB said "he plays each week to win" and that was all he focuses on. If that is the case, and he is a man of his word, how does he not bench Fitzpatrick? Will Mallet give us a better chance to win? I don't know, but neither does anyone else really, because he hasn't had the chance.

I'm interested to see if BoB is a man of his word ...

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
The things are:

1) We didn't pay a lot for Mallett. So there's no real pressure to put him into the lineup. If we had traded a 2nd or a 3rd for him, we'd have to try to start him soon but a 2016 7th round draft choice is 0 incentive to use him for anything other than a backup. So the fact that we traded for Mallett doesn't anoint him as OB's first choice to play QB.

2) We expect OB to be a man of his word. I do, at least. And I'm afraid he gave his word to Fitzy that he'd give him a legitimate shot to be the starter and once he won the spot, he'd give him a chance to play his way out of it.

3) Only people who are there at practice see how Mallett is responding and if he's picked up the new verbiage quickly. It may be that OB doesn't want to stick Mallett in there until he's got several days to transition the starter's snaps to him... or it may be that Mallett isn't very good and is even worse than Fitzy (which I can't really imagine.)

So, I think that we'll see Fitzy start against the Colts and unless he absolutely plays lights out, we'll see both Clowney and Mallett against the Steelers. OR OB won't start Mallett until he gets a couple of weeks of starters snaps over the Bye week and we see him against the Browns.

Or... Mallett isn't the option I thought he was.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Hopefully we beat the Colts and titans and, then prob lose to steelers and eagles then beat the Browns Fitz will do just enough to keep his, job we will prob see mallet tho near the end of the year when we lose more games

H

humblegeo

Texans Desperately need a Quarterback. Fitzpatrick only had 64 yards passing at the start of the fourth quarter in Sundays game. I think that's pretty typical of what we can expect moving forward. I like his effort, I like his attitude but he just doesn't have the skill level to be a winning quarterback in the NFL. Good backup quarterback. That's why he's been with 5 different teams.

Man, that's a pretty smart analysis. I haven't heard anyone make such a wild proposition before. Please sign me up for your newsletter.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member

So what your saying, if I'm not mistaken, is that Fitzpatrick isn't a good option as a quarterback for this team?

speedfreek

All Pro
"The Texas Hammer" doesn't see the field until either Fitz
gets hurt or that conditional pick can _only_ be a 7th..

I still have no idea why they pulled the trigger on him..
Hell, I don't get why we pulled the trigger on Fitz..

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Because Vince Young was already seduced by the UT public relations program.
[imgwidthsize=400]https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10658744_10152399824147684_5454159896679833320_o.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostlight

Veteran
I'd like to see Mallett get some playing time mixed in during each quarter. We are in a QB situation that needs to be fixed. We may be trading up to get a high pick for a talented QB in next years draft. We need to see what Mallett can do and not wait till game 12 to do it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'd like to see Mallett get some playing time mixed in during each quarter. We are in a QB situation that needs to be fixed. We may be trading up to get a high pick for a talented QB in next years draft. We need to see what Mallett can do and not wait till game 12 to do it.
We think it can't get any worse, obviously O'Brien believes that it can. That should tell us all we need to know about Ryan Mallet.