Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett (Houston, We Have A Monster)

From 12/25/14:

Mallet returned to play 1 day short of the 6 months I predicted. Most postop complications would have usually already been evident. When the pectoralis is repaired, the weak injured/shredded segment is not relied upon. A healthy portion of the tendon is used to reattach it to the humerus (upper arm bone) securely usually through suture anchors or metal anchors run through holes drilled in the bone. By now he would certainly be lifting heavier weights, and his repair security and pectoralis muscle strength would be reflected in his passing velocity.
If you cannot get any closer than that, I am going to stop reading your predictions.

Explain that. Who is going to bench the better player because he makes $1.5 million less than the other guy?... Teams with good Qbs seldom spend so much for a backup... But the reason is because they have already invested $20 million per season at the position. The Texans had the luxury to spend more for QB depth... They constructed the contracts so that Hoyers deal wont interfere with the Texans ability to sign Mallett to a large extension once he proves himself.

Hoyer is getting paid more than McCown was to go to Tampa Bay. McCown was paid a substantial bit more than back-up QB money. That alone had many people believing he would "win" the job even though they already had a younger, better, cheaper prospect in Glennon.

Lovie just didn't want/like Glennon & that's all there was to that.

Now we can spin all the events that lead to Mallett being a Houston Texans any way we want. One particular spin has Rick Smith punking Bill Belichick. Completely plausible.

However you could also build the case that Bill was never that "into" Mallett. If I had any inclination that I could win with Mallett we'd have found a way to get him to Houston by July. Kubiak did it with Schaub, two 2nd round picks & a fat starting QB contract.

Then we lowballed him where he gave up more money to be here. Nothing we've done since OB got here "says" we believe Mallett is special.

I mean, I think he's special. Fck me sideways & call me Sally if I didn't see flashes of Brady that day up in Cleveland. But in addition to the way the Texans have handled the situation, now we're hearing "insiders" say OB favors Hoyer... yeah, I don't think Belichick is calling Rick poppi

Last edited:
Hoyer is getting paid more than McCown was to go to Tampa Bay. McCown was paid a substantial bit more than back-up QB money. That alone had many people believing he would "win" the job even though they already had a younger, better, cheaper prospect in Glennon.

Lovie just didn't want/like Glennon & that's all there was to that.

Now we can spin all the events that lead to Mallett being a Houston Texans any way we want. One particular spin has Rick Smith punking Bill Belichick. Completely plausible.

However you could also build the case that Bill was never that "into" Mallett. If I had any inclination that I could win with Mallett we'd have found a way to get him to Houston by July. Kubiak did it with Schaub, two 2nd round picks & a fat starting QB contract.

Then we lowballed him where he gave up more money to be here. Nothing we've done since OB got here "says" we believe Mallett is special.

I mean, I think he's special. Fck me sideways & call me Sally if I didn't see flashes of Brady that day up in Cleveland. But in addition to the way the Texans have handled the situation, now we're hearing "insiders" say OB favors Hoyer... yeah, I don't think Belichick is calling Rick poppi

What does any of that have to do with Hoyer being paid too much not to start? It doesnt matter what Obrien thought of Mallett last July. Who cares what TB paid McCown? If Hoyer starts, it will be because of an honest assessment, not because of what he is being paid.

I can't believe people create all of this "momentum" toward a wild prognostication born from the imagination of a snake oil salesman.

All I'm saying - and have been saying - if Mallett IS O'Brien's future franchise guy, why hold out to try and get him at Wal-Mart prices? If I had faith in him AND my ability to teach him, I'm going all in to get him in house and start his training ASAP.

Edit: But we've had this argument... err, discussion before. And what's done is done.

Mallett wasn't re-signing with NE, and once the Pats drafted Garoppolo, anybody who's anybody knew Mallett's days as a Pat were numbered. No reason to over pay in May, June or July, when you knew you could get him for much less later.

The Texans played that to perfection, and the only downside is that you didn't get him in for camp. Fitz was here the whole off-season and was named starter immediately IIRC. Then Fitz goes out there and played decent, by Fitz standards. I mean early on the Texans were 3-1, had a tough OT loss to Dallas, two comebacks after defensive brain farts by the D against the Colts and Steelers that fell short, Fitz was playing decent. With the win over the Titans, they could have easily been 7-1.

Personally, I would have like to have seen Mallett much earlier than we did, basically because I think he's going to be pretty good, or at least better than what I've seen from Fitz for 10 years, but I get why the trigger wasn't pulled until it was. And then of course, when Mallett does get his number called he goes and gets injured and here we all are still not knowing what we have at QB.

I know it's just my opinion, but I think Mallett has the highest ceiling of any QB on the roster and will be disappointed not so much in coach's decision, but more so if Mallett doesn't outright win the damn thing.

What does any of that have to do with Hoyer being paid too much not to start? It doesnt matter what Obrien thought of Mallett last July. Who cares what TB paid McCown? If Hoyer starts, it will be because of an honest assessment, not because of what he is being paid.

It was an example.

How do you know OB doesn't already have his mind made up?

It was an example.

How do you know OB doesn't already have his mind made up?

There are a lot of unknowns. I have seen nothing from OBrien to indicate a lack of wisdom or decision-making based on something other than winning football games. Why invent conspiracy theories in May?

With the rate that QBs go down in Houston, all three that are in camp right now will be out by the end of the season.:overreact:

There are a lot of unknowns. I have seen nothing from OBrien to indicate a lack of wisdom or decision-making based on something other than winning football games. Why invent conspiracy theories in May?

I'm convinced they'll never be 100% truthful on most matters. All I did was lay out a theory. Connecting a few breadcrumbs. I've not said my opinion was 100% fact, only that their actions give reason to doubt.

I want to be on the record to say that I don't really care who the QB is, just so they execute the game plan and don't turn the ball over. This is pure speculation on my part but I favor Mallett because of his big arm and his attitude. He may not be Einstein, but I think he's got a fiery personality necessary to lead an offense. I don't want another Schaub-like, passive personality. Hoyer strikes me a Schaub-like individual.

I want to be on the record to say that I don't really care who the QB is, just so they execute the game plan and don't turn the ball over. This is pure speculation on my part but I favor Mallett because of his big arm and his attitude. He may not be Einstein, but I think he's got a fiery personality necessary to lead an offense. I don't want another Schaub-like, passive personality. Hoyer strikes me a Schaub-like individual.
This.
Hoyer may win the job because he is probably smarter and understands the offense. But I see him as a Fitzpatrick/Schaub hybrid.

:ahhaha:

And the reason we had a good record at the start of the season was because we had Foster and Watt doing most of the heavy lifting.

Mallett wasn't re-signing with NE, and once the Pats drafted Garoppolo, anybody who's anybody knew Mallett's days as a Pat were numbered. No reason to over pay in May, June or July, when you knew you could get him for much less later.

The Texans played that to perfection, and the only downside is that you didn't get him in for camp. Fitz was here the whole off-season and was named starter immediately IIRC. Then Fitz goes out there and played decent, by Fitz standards. I mean early on the Texans were 3-1, had a tough OT loss to Dallas, two comebacks after defensive brain farts by the D against the Colts and Steelers that fell short, Fitz was playing decent. With the win over the Titans, they could have easily been 7-1.

Personally, I would have like to have seen Mallett much earlier than we did, basically because I think he's going to be pretty good, or at least better than what I've seen from Fitz for 10 years, but I get why the trigger wasn't pulled until it was. And then of course, when Mallett does get his number called he goes and gets injured and here we all are still not knowing what we have at QB.

I know it's just my opinion, but I think Mallett has the highest ceiling of any QB on the roster and will be disappointed not so much in coach's decision, but more so if Mallett doesn't outright win the damn thing.
I will never understand the line of thinking associated with the bolded. That "only downside" thing you mentioned is kind of a BFD if Mallett is truly the future franchise QB some around here are projecting him to be. Think of it, we could have had Mallett in here in time for OTA, mini-camps, training camp, etc. and not had to suffer through half the season with Fitz - even though some of the time he did a passable job in that role. And right now, instead of still having a big, unanswered question at QB, either (a) we'd already know what we have in Mallett and be building to his strengths or (b) know he ain't it and have made a move in the past draft to replace him or hurry Savage's development along. Yeah, you saved a couple of bucks and maybe a draft pick but you lost a year of development and progress at the QB position.

I think Mallett is the guy. I've liked what I've seen of him in preseason with the Patriots (even when the stat-line didn't look great) and in the game against the Browns. I think he is much, much better than Fitzy.

I think Hoyer is going to play in this system better than Fitzpatrick ever did.

And I think Savage is going to be much better than he was last year.

No matter who wins the job, I think we're in a better position this year at the QB spot than we were last year, possibly insanely better.

So I don't care who OB decides to start. I expect OB to start the guy he thinks is going to win us the most games over the long-haul. I'm not in a position to know who that is and I'm trusting OB as the coach of my team at this point to do it. I don't have any reason not to trust him to do that.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Mentioned this offseason that O'Brien wants Hoyer to win the starting job. As @kimydavis said yesterday, "Hard Knocks" makes that difficult.

W/ the cameras most likely showing the QB comp up in practice & more, it'll be difficult for OB to name Hoyer over Mallett, IMO w/o scrutiny

This year, Hoyer was his guy. "Political". Fans not ready to believe the arrogance of decisions not football based

Plan B & Rick likes him but OB has final say over 53 & will appoint starter RT @RGBIII if that's the case then why bring Mallett back?​
Sounds like they're about to address this on 610AM, Seth & Meltser.

Read that it had been a topic of discussion there earlier, too. Would like to hear LZ's take(790AM).

I will never understand the line of thinking associated with the bolded. That "only downside" thing you mentioned is kind of a BFD if Mallett is truly the future franchise QB some around here are projecting him to be. Think of it, we could have had Mallett in here in time for OTA, mini-camps, training camp, etc. and not had to suffer through half the season with Fitz - even though some of the time he did a passable job in that role. And right now, instead of still having a big, unanswered question at QB, either (a) we'd already know what we have in Mallett and be building to his strengths or (b) know he ain't it and have made a move in the past draft to replace him or hurry Savage's development along. Yeah, you saved a couple of bucks and maybe a draft pick but you lost a year of development and progress at the QB position.

Why is there an assumption that OB knew Mallett was to truly be the future franchise QB? Perhaps he really liked the tools Mallett had and definitely wanted to give him a go, but hadn't been around him in a few years and didn't want to bet any farms on where he was currently at.

Perhaps he wanted a veteran to grind with, a young talent with the tools, and a younger guy he could start grooming, and he knew (though fans don't want to hear this) that as a fresh new HC he had a good full year to clean and organize the house from the last tenant before he was ever going to be under the landlords thumb to get things done now.

And the argument that we would have known going into this season about Mallett should he have been acquired at any cost earlier is muted by the fact that we would have likewise known if he hadn't gotten hurt. Moving past that we're here now, with the younger guy having been groomed a season, the young guy with the tools getting a fresh, healthy, and (hopefully) fair look to be the guy, and a likely better veteran than before to call on should we need.

I'm convinced they'll never be 100% truthful on most matters. All I did was lay out a theory. Connecting a few breadcrumbs. I've not said my opinion was 100% fact, only that their actions give reason to doubt.

But why would OBrien want an inferior QB to start? That is what i dont get. What would be his motive to lose? You are suggesting that Obrien will see that Mallett is the better QB but will sit him in favoe of Hoyer anyway. That simply makes no sense. Why would that happen?

But why would OBrien want an inferior QB to start? That is what i dont get. What would be his motive to lose? You are suggesting that Obrien will see that Mallett is the better QB but will sit him in favoe of Hoyer anyway. That simply makes no sense. Why would that happen?

Well, if Mallett is in fact better, that doesn't necessarily mean Hoyer isn't good enough to win.

Well, if Mallett is in fact better, that doesn't necessarily mean Hoyer isn't good enough to win.

Again, what is the motivation OBrien would have to start the inferior player?

I think many of you are setting up this argument because you dont want Hoyer to start. If Hoyer wins the job, you can attack OBrien for some strange deceitfulness while holding on to hope that Mallett is the teams savior. Otherwise, Hoyer named as Qb because he is better would destroy your hope for the position.

Of course he wouldn't do it to lose. But coaches are human and make mistakes. Maybe it's OB's nature to favor "safer" QB's. Maybe OB is like some folks here and assumes Mallett being whigger is a sign of lack of intelligence.

Of course he wouldn't do it to lose. But coaches are human and make mistakes. Maybe it's OB's nature to favor "safer" QB's. Maybe OB is like some folks here and assumes Mallett being whigger is a sign of lack of intelligence.

Possibly. Of course, OBrien traded for Mallett, replaced Fitzpatrick with Mallett, and then wanted Mallett signed to a new contract. My impression of Obrien is the guy is very focused on winning.

Braddock is saying that OB likes Hoyer better, feels more comfy with him since they worked together for longer, and/or has something against Mallet, and so, he's going to tilt things Hoyer's way because he thinks he can create some sort of magic with Hoyer.

I don't understand the argument that a coach would choose to play an inferior player because of some hubris about his own coaching ability or whatever, but that's basically what Braddock is saying.

It makes no sense to me.

If Hoyer starts, I can only imagine it's because OB thinks he can win more games with him at the helm than Mallett.

I got sumtin' to say, and I need the world to hear it. I'm a quarterback and I can rap about anything. Shrink, shrink. Blinkity-blink. Tried to make me think. Wanna go deep and hit Nuk like a Comet and make Luck vomit . Earth is my planet Houston my town . Hoyer gonna frown cause I'm the shiznit.

The biggest plus in all this will be practicing with 3 QBs that know the system .

I think many of you are setting up this argument because you dont want Hoyer to start. If Hoyer wins the job, you can attack OBrien for some strange deceitfulness while holding on to hope that Mallett is the teams savior. Otherwise, Hoyer named as Qb because he is better would destroy your hope for the position.

I'm not setting up any argument. There's just a lot of things that don't make sense if OB had any faith in Mallett. Those same things make sense if he does not.

Yes. If Hoyer starts, I'll be upset. It may be true he'll perform differently here, the way Cassell performed better in New England & in KC the year he had Charlie Weiss. But I just spent the last two years making fun of the Browns because Brian Hoyer was their best QB. Kinda like teasing the Titans for a full season because Fitzpatrick was their starter... then he ends up starting for our team.

& this stuff comes up because somebody somewhere says they have an inside source telling them O'Brien favors Hoyer. You're acting like we're making this stuff up on our own, in a vacuum. There's smoke... you're just pretending it ain't there.

Possibly. Of course, OBrien traded for Mallett, replaced Fitzpatrick with Mallett, and then wanted Mallett signed to a new contract. My impression of Obrien is the guy is very focused on winning.

& that's the way I like to look at it. The way I try to look at it. OB has plans for going deep in the play offs & he's stocking QBs that understand how he wants to do it. Then if something happens to one, he won't be starting from square one. Remember, I'm the one who has all kinds of spin as to why Mallett was against signing a long term contract & that's the reason it took so long to get him here, & why it took so long to get him to start.

Alls I said, is that the case can be made that OB doesn't really care for Mallett & the latest rumor (that Smith is the one who likes Mallett) makes sense of everything we've seen over the last 18 months.

Why is there an assumption that OB knew Mallett was to truly be the future franchise QB? Perhaps he really liked the tools Mallett had and definitely wanted to give him a go, but hadn't been around him in a few years and didn't want to bet any farms on where he was currently at.

Perhaps he wanted a veteran to grind with, a young talent with the tools, and a younger guy he could start grooming, and he knew (though fans don't want to hear this) that as a fresh new HC he had a good full year to clean and organize the house from the last tenant before he was ever going to be under the landlords thumb to get things done now.

And the argument that we would have known going into this season about Mallett should he have been acquired at any cost earlier is muted by the fact that we would have likewise known if he hadn't gotten hurt. Moving past that we're here now, with the younger guy having been groomed a season, the young guy with the tools getting a fresh, healthy, and (hopefully) fair look to be the guy, and a likely better veteran than before to call on should we need.
My post assumes he didn't know (I said "if Mallett is truly the franchise QB...) but that he could have found out instead of going with Fitz who has minimal upside and not much future.
Okay, let's say O'Brien knew Mallett "really liked" the physical tools but didn't like what he remembered about Mallett's grasp (or lack of) of the system back in N.E. So why not get Mallett in here soon enough to find that out in OTAs/mini-camp/training camp? He still had Fitz in his back pocket if Mallett wasn't all that.

Like we both said, it's done now and it is what it is. O'Brien's logic just escapes me on this issue.

Maybe OB is like some folks here and assumes Mallett being whigger is a sign of lack of intelligence.
Godsey has been with Mallett for Mal's entire pro career, and OB has seen his first and latest years in the NFL... whatever their opinion is of Mallett's intelligence, they shouldn't have to rely on assumptions.
Braddock is saying that OB likes Hoyer better...
JB infers or outright states that OB plans to start the inferior QB for non-football reasons,

and that that plan will be foiled because the HBO Hard Knocks cameras will expose him.

But 1) HK doesn't show enough actual play to expose anything decision-worthy... and 2) preseason games do expose game-play that everyone can see... so why would anything be different because of HK?

If OB starts the inferior QB, he'll lose the locker room. Ask Kubiak.

So...is it only a competition if your guy wins? Otherwise, it's a sham?
Yep, pretty much. :truck:
Why wouldn't he go with the best QB?
Because 1) that wouldn't be "news" and 2) not everybody wants to maximize wins. :kitten:

Man, I hope he's a better coach than that.

Well, that's just how it goes in the NFL, not just with the Texans. And the guy has 2 career NFL starts. Nobody knows anything. Coaches who see him in practice have a better idea than you or I, but even they don't know for sure. Not until he plays this game. So, you either make a riskier gamble and give up a 4th rounder for him in May, or you wait until the Pats are ready to cut him loose when you know they are and get him for damn near nothing. That's just how it works.

And don't forget, Mallett chose to re-sign with Houston with a let me prove my worth deal. He's either going to prove it, which I believe he will, or he won't and we'll have to slug through this season with Brian freaking Hoyer.

McClain: "Don't believe anything you're hearing about the QB competition, I'm assured it's wide open and contract has nothing to do with it."

So...is it only a competition if your guy wins? Otherwise, it's a sham?

No. It's a sham if Hoyer wins. Only because there are now rumors that OB favors Hoyer already.

It's not that hard to comprehend. If John McClain reported this, no one would have thought twice about it.

But it's not McClain. It's someone most find more credible

And seeing as the initial asking price was too high and was to inevitably go down ...
I agree. But I'm a negotiator by trade so I always look for value verses simple desire. Some simply want what they want and could care less about the price. Good for them. Somebody has to keep the Galleria operating while the rest of us go to Walmart and Ross.

ps It's a bit ironic that I went to the Galleria today. I didn't buy anything because no one was open between 7 and 8 and I PROBABLY wouldn't have anyway. But I had time to kill before an appointment.

Last edited:
My post assumes he didn't know (I said "if Mallett is truly the franchise QB...) but that he could have found out instead of going with Fitz who has minimal upside and not much future.
Okay, let's say O'Brien knew Mallett "really liked" the physical tools but didn't like what he remembered about Mallett's grasp (or lack of) of the system back in N.E. So why not get Mallett in here soon enough to find that out in OTAs/mini-camp/training camp? He still had Fitz in his back pocket if Mallett wasn't all that.

Like we both said, it's done now and it is what it is. O'Brien's logic just escapes me on this issue.

I addressed that in the second half of my second paragraph, I believe. And I may be completely off in that assumption, but it does explain why he didn't feel the need to outbid the time it took to wait on Mallett to become a cheaper commodity. He knew he had the time.

JB infers or outright states that OB plans to start the inferior QB for non-football reasons,

1. It is JB's opinion that Hoyer is the inferior QB, it may not be OB's

2. All this talk about if he may or not be and if he may or not start but not any about what the non football reasons might be. Hoyer got something on him or he want to prove someone wrong or ?

I'm feeling really good for Mallett getting the start. Hoyer had been away from the "Patriot's" scheme for a few years. It may be like "riding a bike" however, he's going to have a bit of a learning curve in my opinion and he has prior bad habits. I think Mallett for all intents and purposes is the better option. Just my .02

I'm feeling really good for Mallett getting the start. Hoyer had been away from the "Patriot's" scheme for a few years. It may be like "riding a bike" however, he's going to have a bit of a learning curve in my opinion and he has prior bad habits. I think Mallett for all intents and purposes is the better option. Just my .02

I think Mallett has talent and could be a good QB who pushes the ball down field .

I guess I'm the only one who wants to see three great QBs competing well and making the choice difficult for O'Brien. I'd love to know any of the three would guide us to victories over good to great competition like our third stringer did a few years back.

I think this is really a three way competition with all the comments on Savage being positive so far. But the talking heads on the east coast can't count that high.

I guess I'm the only one who wants to see three great QBs competing well and making the choice difficult for O'Brien. I'd love to know any of the three would guide us to victories over good to great competition like our third stringer did a few years back.

I think this is really a three way competition with all the comments on Savage being positive so far. But the talking heads on the east coast can't count that high.

Yes, and no. I see your point and it would be great to be deep at the most important position on the field, but I keep remember the old saying that if you have more than one guy, you don't have THE guy.

Yes, and no. I see your point and it would be great to be deep at the most important position on the field, but I keep remember the old saying that if you have more than one guy, you don't have THE guy.
I think the old Staubach vs Morton fiasco does provide a cautionary tale that having more than one QB splitting minutes is not better than choosing one in the end.

But it also doesn't mean having the best backup(s) is a bad thing. I don't remember the last time the Texans made it through the season without three different starters at QB, much less one.

Last edited:
I think the old Staubach vs Morton fiasco does provide a cautionary tale that having more than one QB splitting minutes is better than choosing one in the end.

But it also doesn't mean having the best backup(s) is a bad thing. I don't remember the last time the Texans made it through the season without three different starters at QB, much less one.

That's pretty much why I said "Yes and no." I'd like to be in a situation where someone steps up and takes the job by the throat by performing head and shoulders above all the others. But I also want a backup that everyone else in the league is trying to get away from us.

I'm hoping that Mallett is the guy who steps up and Hoyer is the guy everyone else is trying to get away from us. But I'm not trying to force anything. Just having a good QB for the entire season would make me happy.

No. It's a sham if Hoyer wins. Only because there are now rumors that OB favors Hoyer already.

It's not that hard to comprehend. If John McClain reported this, no one would have thought twice about it.

But it's not McClain. It's someone most find more credible

I don't think anyone would try to argue that he is less credible than McClain on football matters. But does he have a history of being "in the know" on the inner workings of the Texans staff? It's still just a rumor. The only reason it's catching on is because Texans fans are notoriously pessimistic about this kind of stuff and just want to believe it is true. There is nothing about what he said that makes it any more believable than anything McClain has ever said. It doesn't even read like he's reporting it. It's his opinion.

It appears that the competition is only being looked at as a sham by people who want Mallett to win.

I want the better player to win, regardless of who that turns out to be. I'm also an admitted homer for OB. So I trust that the competition will play out fairly and the better player will start.

Back