Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett (Houston, We Have A Monster)

Is this based solely on his time with the Browns? Brady might not be able to win with the Browns, don't you think he deserves a chance to earn the skepticism based on his performance here?

I doubt it's "solely" based on his time with the Browns. But, getting benched for Manziel couldn't help.

He sat behind Brady, didn't get a chance to play..... eh... that's understandable. Can't hold that against him. Maybe there's some untapped potential there.

He sat behind Roethlisberger, didn't get a chance to play... eh... that's understandable. Can't hold that against him. Maybe there's some untapped potential there.

He sat behind John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, & Kevin Kolb in Arizona :thinking:

Did anyone say he deserves the starting job? And yeah exactly the point, let him compete and see how he does here before you declare that you need soap before competition starts. And I'm not buying that OB has his mind made up, wanting someone to win is not the same as already won even if it's true what Braddock thinks

Ok, you do understand this part of this discussion, we're talking about OB wanting Hoyer to be the starter. We're pretty much saying if Hoyer wins the job because OB wants him to win the job. Not if there was a fair competition & Hoyer won outright.

Well, that's a relief. I wasn't finding any logic in them either.

I also don't quite understand why everyone has concluded that the quarterback competition is going to be a mockery.
Ironically, it seems many of those willing to characterize it as a mockery feel that way because they already know who the winner should be.

I may pull out a soap avatar if Hoyer is named starter.
I told y'all when he was signed, don't be surprised if Hoyer ends up being named the starter.
...but I don't think O'Brien is going to let the cameras dictate his choice.

I doubt it's "solely" based on his time with the Browns. But, getting benched for Manziel couldn't help.

He sat behind Brady, didn't get a chance to play..... eh... that's understandable. Can't hold that against him. Maybe there's some untapped potential there.

He sat behind Roethlisberger, didn't get a chance to play... eh... that's understandable. Can't hold that against him. Maybe there's some untapped potential there.

He sat behind John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, & Kevin Kolb in Arizona :thinking:

Being replaced by Manziel was an owners decision in my mind. He struggled but he was playing for the Browns who you think is a terrible team anyway.

In Arizona he replaced Lindley and did a good job. He didn't sit behind Skelton and Lindley.

Arizona Cardinals[edit]
He was claimed on waivers by the Arizona Cardinals on December 10. Hoyer replaced Ryan Lindley in Week 16 against the Chicago Bears, and completed 11 of 19 passes for 105 yards and one interception.[9] On December 26, Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt announced that Hoyer would start the season finale against the San Francisco 49ers, making him the fourth quarterback for the Cardinals.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Hoyer

for the record, I don't like Hoyer much either but all the hand wringing and declaring him trash is a bit premature. He may be

Ok, you do understand this part of this discussion, we're talking about OB wanting Hoyer to be the starter. We're pretty much saying if Hoyer wins the job because OB wants him to win the job. Not if there was a fair competition & Hoyer won outright.

The post I quoted assumed it was true. I'm not buying it

Psshhh.....Braddock is drinking Drain-O. Hoyer was brought in as insurance. Nothing more nothing less.

Psshhh.....Braddock is drinking Drain-O. Hoyer was brought in as insurance. Nothing more nothing less.
And I thought the same thing when Fitz was brought here.

Oh well should be an interesting off season.

Is this based solely on his time with the Browns? Brady might not be able to win with the Browns, don't you think he deserves a chance to earn the skepticism based on his performance here?

I just don't see any "it" with him. He may even outperform Mallett in practice [insert practice joke]. I just think his ceiling is Fitzpatrick having his best year, i.e. still not good enough. I don't see him being even Schaub good. We could go places with Schaub good. Hoyer is the safe, knows the system, can run the drills guy. That's not the coach I want. I have no problem with a coach being "arrogant" enough to think he can make something out of a guy nobody else saw but I want him to swing for the fence. Hoyer is a bunt.

JB thinks OB's plan was to start Hoyer... for non-football, political reasons...

But his plan may be foiled by having the Hard Knocks cameras "watching"...

I have no deeper interpretation to offer.

Well, yeah. I gathered that much from his tweets, but like I mentioned in the previous message, it makes no sense.

I just don't see any "it" with him. He may even outperform Mallett in practice [insert practice joke]. I just think his ceiling is Fitzpatrick having his best year, i.e. still not good enough. I don't see him being even Schaub good. We could go places with Schaub good. Hoyer is the safe, knows the system, can run the drills guy. That's not the coach I want. I have no problem with a coach being "arrogant" enough to think he can make something out of a guy nobody else saw but I want him to swing for the fence. Hoyer is a bunt.

Was with you on everything until the bolded. I think Hoyer is a singles guy. I don't think Hoyer has won or will win, but he will be a better backup than Fitz.

Favoring Hoyer, let alone having a mind set to name him starter early, cannot be justified by his most recent accomplishments.

From ProfootballFocus:

Last season, the 29-year-old Hoyer completed 55.3 percent of his 438 pass attempts, for 3,326 yards, 12 touchdowns, and 13 interceptions. Through his first nine starts, six of which Cleveland won, Hoyer was sporting a 90.6 quarterback rating that was primarily supported by a 10-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio and an 8.0 yards-per-attempt mark.

However, despite his 12th-best PFF passing grade (+3.5) during that time, he only ranked as the 22nd-highest scoring fantasy passer. From that point on, Hoyer tossed nine picks and just two touchdowns, while completing half of his 164 attempts. He earned a -19.9 passing grade over that stretch, which ranked 34th out of 35 qualifying quarterbacks, and the Browns lost six of their last seven contests.

Was with you on everything until the bolded. I think Hoyer is a singles guy. I don't think Hoyer has won or will win, but he will be a better backup than Fitz.

OK even the word quibble is quibbling over your distinction between bunt and single.

If Hoyer is backup, I'm happy.

Who was Fitz brought in to be insurance for? Yates?
Certainly didn't think he was going to start half the season after we brought in Mallett.

I will not be surprised if Hoyer is named starter, though. It's almost if I expect it to happen.

Certainly didn't think he was going to start half the season after we brought in Mallett.

I will not be surprised if Hoyer is named starter, though. It's almost if I expect it to happen.

Why?

Favoring Hoyer, let alone having a mind set to name him starter early, cannot be justified by his most recent accomplishments.

From ProfootballFocus:
yet despite knowing this, Texans signed him to a fairly decent contract. Either can be gone next season with a substantial savings or if both are good both can be kept at very reasonable costs; lastly if Savage is what I think he is, either Mallett or Hoyer can be traded. Pretty good deal..unless all three crap out. I like the odds.

I have to admit that almost all of my excitement for this upcoming season is based on Mallet being healthy and the starting QB. I have a gut feeling that he'll be a really good QB if given the reigns.

Signing Hoyer clouded the waters IMO and if he starts...he'll be just like Fitz. He'll do just good enough to not pull him but won't bring a plus to the position. Hopefully if he starts either I'm wrong about him or Obrien realizes Mallet is a better option sooner than he did with Fitz.

Honestly I think they paid him too much to just sit and be the back-up but that's just me.

I think they brought him in to compete for the starting job, he got paid cuz we had competition to sign him. Mallet also had other suitors but he wanted to be here and was willing to sign for less. Too much is made about the money thing

I think they brought him in to compete for the starting job, he got paid cuz we had competition to sign him. Mallet also had other suitors but he wanted to be here and was willing to sign for less. Too much is made about the money thing

It remains to be seen how much of this is really a competition.

I could be wrong and OB goes with the best qb, but I still have my doubts.

Signing Hoyer clouded the waters IMO and if he starts...he'll be just like Fitz. He'll do just good enough to not pull him but won't bring a plus to the position. Hopefully if he starts either I'm wrong about him or Obrien realizes Mallet is a better option sooner than he did with Fitz.

I'm not a Hoyer fan & I definitely wasn't thrilled about Fitzpatrick starting for us.... but. Fitzpatrick was a gunslinger... or at least he carelessly slung the ball around the field before he got here. I was hoping to see some of that & letting our big receivers go get the ball. That didn't happen. He became some turtling football player, not taking chances & being on the wrong side of conservative.

Hoyer... he was pretty much the same way, maybe not as careless as pre-OB Fitz, but he's not afraid to put the ball out there & let his receivers make a play.

I don't know what happened to make Fitz so cautious. But if I see Hoyer play that "not to lose" game, I'm going to start pointing at O'Brien.

Ah yes, the soap opera fan's delight, a QB competition that you actually don't know the outcome yet. :whip:

So...is it only a competition if your guy wins? Otherwise, it's a sham?

I'm not sure why everybody is so fired up about this before anything has actually even happened.

Ah yes, the soap opera fan's delight, a QB competition that you actually don't know the outcome yet. :whip:

I think it's boredom because they don't have the release you do so they create a situation before it even exist . These folks are good with their imagination and are prone to chronic masturbation .

Honestly I think they paid him too much to just sit and be the back-up but that's just me.

Explain that. Who is going to bench the better player because he makes $1.5 million less than the other guy?... Teams with good Qbs seldom spend so much for a backup... But the reason is because they have already invested $20 million per season at the position. The Texans had the luxury to spend more for QB depth... They constructed the contracts so that Hoyers deal wont interfere with the Texans ability to sign Mallett to a large extension once he proves himself.

I'm going out on a limb here. I admit that I do not have a favorite QB candidate and any of the three we have may very well be improvements over the QB group last season. Mallet and Savage have gained experience and Hoyer is as good as any veteran journeymen we've had lately and that's with my belief that Fitz wasn't as bad as his rep.

Any of the three could take this team to a winning record and any of them might make the jump to above average starter. Then only time will tell if they get to elite. This is a great opportunity because they are surrounded by a solid team and I think that's why both Mallet and Hoyer chose Houston over other less solid teams.

But I'm usually an optimist in the summer.

It remains to be seen how much of this is really a competition.

I could be wrong and OB goes with the best qb, but I still have my doubts.
I have no doubt that O'Brien will go with the "best" QB.
Now who he thinks is best and what we think is best may not be the same guy.
We may think the best guy is the young'un with the 95 mph fastball.
He may think the best guy is the one who makes the chains move consistently, doesn't throw into double coverage ("because of that fastball"), and takes an occasional shot down field.
Best case, it'll turn out that they're the same guy.
:)

Everybody talking about Mallett's velocity... throwing fastballs.

Any post-pec-op concerns, Dr CND, about his going full speed this soon?

I'm going out on a limb here. I admit that I do not have a favorite QB candidate and any of the three we have may very well be improvements over the QB group last season. Mallet and Savage have gained experience and Hoyer is as good as any veteran journeymen we've had lately and that's with my belief that Fitz wasn't as bad as his rep.

Any of the three could take this team to a winning record and any of them might make the jump to above average starter. Then only time will tell if they get to elite. This is a great opportunity because they are surrounded by a solid team and I think that's why both Mallet and Hoyer chose Houston over other less solid teams.

But I'm usually an optimist in the summer.

Damn. I'm gonna have to agree with Marshall again on something. I have to stop this. :lol:

Beat me to it. I was going to ask the same thing.
All I'm saying - and have been saying - if Mallett IS O'Brien's future franchise guy, why hold out to try and get him at Wal-Mart prices? If I had faith in him AND my ability to teach him, I'm going all in to get him in house and start his training ASAP.

Edit: But we've had this argument... err, discussion before. And what's done is done.

Everybody talking about Mallett's velocity... throwing fastballs.

Any post-pec-op concerns, Dr CND, about his going full speed this soon?

From 12/25/14:
CloakNNNdagger said:
Barring this injury to be very exceptional in nature (such as a very rare mid muscle rupture) or an unforeseen postoperative complication ensues, repair should return Mallet to pre-injury level of performance. Rehab should allow him to begin light weight lifting at ~4 months and return to play at ~6 months. Mallet who had surgery the end of November should have plenty of time during OTAs and TC to maximally strengthen and hone his skills to be prepared to start the 1st game of the 2015 season, if that is the Texans game plan.

Mallet returned to play 1 day short of the 6 months I predicted. Most postop complications would have usually already been evident. When the pectoralis is repaired, the weak injured/shredded segment is not relied upon. A healthy portion of the tendon is used to reattach it to the humerus (upper arm bone) securely usually through suture anchors or metal anchors run through holes drilled in the bone. By now he would certainly be lifting heavier weights, and his repair security and pectoralis muscle strength would be reflected in his passing velocity.

Last edited:
Mallet returned to play 1 day short of the 6 months I predicted. Most postop complications would have usually already have been evident. When the pectoralis is repaired, the weak injured/shredded segment is not relied upon. A healthy portion of the tendon is used to reattach it to the humerus (upper arm bone) securely usually through suture anchors or metal anchors run through holes drilled in the bone. By now he would certainly be lifting heavier weights, and his repair security and pectoralis muscle strength would be reflected in his passing velocity.

Translation: Pro Bowl

Back