Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

I can't continue to support a team that would keep Gary Kubiak as HC after what he's done for the past 5 years. I know it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than myself but I will literally cease to follow this team (and by extension the NFL) if something along these lines comes to pass.

In an opposite view,
a few times this season, I wondered if the Texans had to gear down their offense because they needed to eat up the clock because our defense was so bad (and yes I know this is weird and stupid thinking) but a few times I didn't want our offense to come out and jump to a big lead because that basically meant the opposing team had to abandon the run and throw the ball which played right into the historically bad pass defense.

crazy and stupid thoughts I know

Very astute observations, actually.

HAHAHAHA. :wadepalm:
If this turns out to be true. I wonder how Kubiak would be where he doesn't have to worry about the defense. there is someone there that can handle his own

a few times this season, I couldn't help but think of the Texans in 2003 or 2004 where Chris Palmer's offense basically had to play safe, no turnovers and play for field position and let the defense win the game for them because Carr and that offense was so bad.

In an opposite view,
a few times this season, I wondered if the Texans had to gear down their offense because they needed to eat up the clock because our defense was so bad (and yes I know this is weird and stupid thinking) but a few times I didn't want our offense to come out and jump to a big lead because that basically meant the opposing team had to abandon the run and throw the ball which played right into the historically bad pass defense.

Not crazy or stupid at all. I actually had the same feelings the entire season. Err on second thought, that's not a ringing endorsement for your views. my bad! lol

In all serious, I had the same feelings. I felt like Kubiak had to be ultra conservative and was playing the "field position" game a lot of the season. If we weren't able to move the ball with ease... don't force it, chew up some clock and punt it away. Don't leave our defense with a short field to cover. I think the way our defense was had an enormous impact on our offensive strategy and those play calls.

It's all speculation... Clayton just stated live on ESPN just now.... as typed per my closed captioning...

John Clayton said:
What I am hearing today is that try may reach out to Wade Phillips and still keep Gary Kubiak. If not, it could be Bill Cowher.

I'm thinking now that the Favre lovefest is now over... they're trying to create news.

augh.thumbnail.jpg

Title of this thread should be changed because it's misleading. Just saying. ESPN isn't "reporting" any such thing.

Someone insulted me the other day for saying rooting against this team makes it reflect poorly on people as a human being, and how it's just a game and all that. Where's the flack for someone comparing a real-life, devastating situation to a potential coaching hire?

.....anyway, its a good move depending on what else happens. Kubiak has major flaws, flaws that have not been shored up in his time here. Mainly game-management, clock-management stuff. Phillips is an excellent D coordinator, as shown especially during the 90s. Kubiak is an excellent offensive mind, questionable decisions aside. I don't know if he'd accept a demotion to OC so I really don't know what's going to happen.

A)- Why are you calling me out?

B)- I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

I'm talking about that sinking helpless feeling and it's my personal story from my personal life. I'm not commenting on anyone elses or making some generic statement. Merely illustrating that it would hurt me deeply on some level IF this were true as I am very passionate about the Texans and anyone who knows me knows that.

What I said and your comments about how OTHERS actions are by rooting against the Texans seem to be 2 different things. I was talking about myself and not others.

Just not understanding how my comment had anything to do with yours other than using it to try to point out how you felt you were criticized incorrectly.

Someone insulted me the other day for saying rooting against this team makes it reflect poorly on people as a human being, and how it's just a game and all that. Where's the flack for someone comparing a real-life, devastating situation to a potential coaching hire?

Wow, if you can't see the difference... :kubepalm:

Good God.

I just watched this report by Clayton....and he said it's maybe a possibility. Nothing is even close to confirmed yet people. Let's just wait and see how next week plays out.

Yep. I breathed a sigh of relief.

:wadepalm: First we hear a rumor that Kubiak will be fired but Texans will keep Rick Smith and now someone else thinks Kubiak stays and Wade comes. Nothings for certain, we have to just wail until Black Monday to find out.

It's all speculation... Clayton just stated live on ESPN just now.... as typed per my closed captioning...

I'm thinking now that the Favre lovefest is now over... they're trying to create news.

Was this on the Coaches on the Hot Seat from where I was reporting it , or a separate segment by Clayton?

I hope to God this isn't true. If it is, I really am not sure how much longer I can continue rooting for this franchise as long as Bob McNair's heart is still beating. If it is as OC & DC, fantastic, but we all know that isn't happening. The last thing I want to see is this combination:

:kubepalm::wadepalm:

Don't forget their new quart-a-back! :facepalm:

If this turns out to be true. I wonder how Kubiak would be where he doesn't have to worry about the defense. there is someone there that can handle his own

a few times this season, I couldn't help but think of the Texans in 2003 or 2004 where Chris Palmer's offense basically had to play safe, no turnovers and play for field position and let the defense win the game for them because Carr and that offense was so bad.

In an opposite view,

You know what, I got those same feelings during the season. But then, I realized that Kubiak still sucks as a HC currently. 5-7 after 12 games for four years in a row, the Indy MNF game this year (not running Foster when he was shredding them), going with an inexperienced secondary, not knowing how to manage the clock/timeouts, and probably the biggest thing, not having this team prepared at the start of games. This has been a one half football team under Kubiak's entire tenure.

The problem isn't with Wade Phillips as a good defensive coordinator, but him working for Gary Kubiak the head coach of the Houston Texans in 2011. Very few people want to hear and see "Gary Kubiak, head coach of the Texans in 2011".

If Wade comes in, I'm pretty sure we'll change to a 3-4. Shouldn't be too hard. The 4-3 is obviously not working.

our current version of the 4-3 isnt working. ron rivera went into SD this yr and created a good 3-4 D despite only ever working in a 4-3 previously so im not too worried about it should it actually come to it

My concern is that if we end up with another KUBIAK REGIME, how does the "Culture of Losing" miraculously fly out the window?:kubepalm:

Reactions: J_R
My concern is that if we end up with another KUBIAK REGIME, how does the "Culture of Losing" miraculously fly out the window?:kubepalm:

Especially with Wade as the DC. As if we are all ignorant to want went on in North Texas this year. I think it was more the players taking advantage of the coach. But then again, the Dallas sports media didn't call Wade Phillips' training camps "Camp Cupcake" for nothing.

The only way I can live with this is.....if Cowher wanted him in place beforehand to evaluate personnel. Heck, for all we know, that could be what McNair's looking for...another Dan Reeves to tell us what we do/don't have, possibly as an evaluation towards moving to a 3-4.

I like Wade as a DC, but if Kubiak stays itll be another bad season next year. The way Kubiak has been talking and sounding lately seems like he doesnt even want to be here. The way he talks about the team is like from an outsiders position, and It sounds like he knows he's done here. Besides he has a job in Denver waiting for him. anybody else hear how amazed he was with tebow? (SR610) If we keep him its a mistake.

I've been talking about this scenario ever since Wade got fired. Is Clayton bored and reading Texans Talk??

I really hope this doesn't come to pass, for it will just confirm what many have been suspicious of McNair for awhile.

I just put in a job application with one of Bob McNair's companies.

Hey, can't hurt...have sub-par performance and get paid a lot of money? I'm in.

Some of you people will NEVER be happy with whatever changes are made! The game of FOOTBALL is a crapshoot, and NOONE knows who's gonna make it big, or who's gonna fail. You guys talk about women BIT*HING all the time! We don't hold a candle to some of you!

Reactions: JB
Some of you people will NEVER be happy with whatever changes are made! The game of FOOTBALL is a crapshoot, and NOONE knows who's gonna make it big, or who's gonna fail. You guys talk about women BIT*HING all the time! We don't hold a candle to some of you!

Well said! It is amazing the amount of hysteria over a rumor or two...

I think its more people being upset at the possibility of Kubiak remaining as HC of the Texans in 2011, than being upset at the possibility of Wade Phillips as the DC of the Texans in 2011.

Now let's not get emotional, SheTex. This is a momentary lapse of reason for the men, as opposed to the lifelong commitment by women. :winky:

Good news if Kubiak stays as OC

That's not possible. Unless specific in their contract, a HC cannot be demoted. We would have to fire him like Jerrah did with Campo. Fire Kubes, have have him go to another team for season or 2, and then bring him back as OC.

Thanks to the mod that changed the title of this thread.

They say where there's smoke, there's a fire. The smoke in this thread is regular ol' skunk.

The smoke in the other thread is worthy of a centerfold in High Times.

Wade Phillips and Mike Shanahan overlapped in Denver for two years in 1993-1994 when Wade Phillips was the Head Coach and Shanahan the Offensive Coordinator. Of course, current Redskins DB Coach, Bob Slowik, was a Defensive Coordinator with Shanahan in Denver for 1 year in 2008 and that was a disaster (2008 Broncos defense ranked 28th in Yards Allowed and 30th in Points Allowed 28.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/11/18...dskins-defensive-coordinator-theres-a-history

that keeps your Denver connection alive

69% of Redskin fans voted yes that they would want Phillips as a DC (757 votes)

Two captivating personalities ... pre-game motivationals will be ZZZZzzzzzzz.

Such "Personality" is highly over-rated. Last season, Frank Bush came in as a "motivated/spoken out/rah rah guy." It wouldn't take much to find posts on this forum to substantiate that many people here thought that was a good move at the time. The problem with such "guys", is that they are sometimes overcompensating for a lack of talent and/or intelligence. The "rah rahs" and screaming/yelling wear out quickly....and I suspect that's exactly why our defense has been terrible. I'm sure it didn't take long for the defensive players to figure out that they were going to be here longer than FB. I haven't seen nearly as many comments by the players this season that suggest that they are being properly placed in position to succeed/make plays.....certainly not as many as last season.

There are numerous examples of coaches who have had success regardless of what side of the personality spectrum they were on.

In order to be successful, the players don't need to be "fired up" as much as they need to be reminded that they could BE fired.

Our guys knew a long time ago that wasn't going to happen here....and they played like it.

A Wade Phillips defense and a Gary Kubiak offense = CHAMPIONSHIP.

That's why it won't happen.

You know, I liked football a whole lot better before the internet was around.

Pick up the Chron and some Blue Bell ice cream for your off season Texans time. :)

Back