Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2010   #1
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Newest rumor: Coaches go, Rick Smith stays

From Lance Zierlein's Twitter page.

Quote:
The word on the agent grapevine is that Rick Smith will remain as GM and be in charge of hiring a new head coach for the Texans
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #2
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Newest rumor: Coaches go, Rick Smith stays

Smith will probably hire somebody from Denver.
DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm torn here. I'm not a Smith fan. The drafts have been ok and they haven't hit in Free Agency. But it does break up the Denver connection and who knows what kind of ultimatum he gets as to what he is allowed to do. I saw the General say the same thing in his chat today so it is out there. I'd prefer they let all Denver associates go.
Old 12-28-2010   #4
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I really don't have much of an issue with this, as long as he hires the best coach for the team, not just some guy he's buddies with. Seems to be an ongoing trend with this organization.
Old 12-28-2010   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I have zero confidence in Smith's abilities. McNair is making a big mistake if this is what he is planning.

How many head coaches has he hired?
Old 12-28-2010   #6
Ckw

Oh shit. Please say it ain't so.

Come on, Bob!!!!! You can't be that dense, can you?

Old 12-28-2010   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

RIck Smith drafts to many BUST BOOOOOOO this idea sucks

Why dont u just hire COwer and let him Hire da GM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2010   #8
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 31109 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm torn here. I'm not a Smith fan. The drafts have been ok and they haven't hit in Free Agency. But it does break up the Denver connection and who knows what kind of ultimatum he gets as to what he is allowed to do. I saw the General say the same thing in his chat today so it is out there. I'd prefer they let all Denver associates go.
We could have worst GM's than Rick Smith IMHO, we don't know why they didn't go after FA signings, we don't know if Kubiak was the issue or Rick Smith.. So if we end up with Kubiak gone, and Cowher in with Rick Smith, I'm ok with that.

He hasn't done what I consider a super job, but he hasn't done a bad one either.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully, it will be a Casserly-like stay, with Smith hanging on through the draft only. Otherwise, another total fail by McNair proving he just doesn't get it.
Old 12-28-2010   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i say if your going to do it right u got to

CLEAN HOUSE no other way 2 do it IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #11
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Hopefully, it will be a Casserly-like stay, with Smith hanging on through the draft only. Otherwise, another total fail by McNair proving he just doesn't get it.
The only way we will get Cowher is if there is a "clean sweep".
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #12
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hopefully Smith does like Casserly did and has a world-class draft on his way out.
DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #13
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I'm ho hum about it. Not really a big fan of this decision (if it's true), but like it more than firing Bush and letting Kubes stay.

I don't see Smith not hiring an unproven guy.

Meh.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I agree. To be honest, I don't know how much say he has in the organization.

I think we can give him credit for bringing in street FA's that overachieve.

I think he deserves blame for giving too much money to underachievers and not giving enough money to guys that do perform....but I'm not sure.

Maybe he'll go out like Casserly did after the draft.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
The only way we will get Cowher is if there is a "clean sweep".
McNair doesn't deserve the benefit of doubt. But, I'll wait until this plays out before panning the move.
Old 12-28-2010   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lord I hope so....Cowher wants CONTROL.
Old 12-28-2010   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
We could have worst GM's than Rick Smith IMHO, we don't know why they didn't go after FA signings, we don't know if Kubiak was the issue or Rick Smith.. So if we end up with Kubiak gone, and Cowher in with Rick Smith, I'm ok with that.

He hasn't done what I consider a super job, but he hasn't done a bad one either.
And this was really my point. I'm not a Smith fan. But it makes me wonder what was the relationship with Kubiak(was Kubiak the #1 lead and Smith just GM in name) and whether he had Drayton McClain type limitations from McNair. I'd say no to #2 but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just call the whole experiment a fail and move on with a better GM.
Old 12-28-2010   #18
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I want them ALL gone. We need a new staff from top to bottom.

That being said... if they had to keep somebody, I would be more receptive to keeping Kubiak over Ricky Smith. Far more receptive.

If true, I would believe this rumor to be a mega-fail and it also effectively eliminates Cowher from the table.
Old 12-28-2010   #19
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

If it's an either / or, then I'm fine with this "either" path. However, better have that strong willed HC that can control this "yes man".

Guess Smith was bending McNair's ear during all the games in the box and on the sidelines.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith is signed through 2012. Why in the heck would we, the fans, want a guy who has not handled the HC process before leading the charge? Moreover, what big name HC wants to come in to work for a GM that may not be here after 2012?

This must be a trial balloon since I cannot find the competency in it. However, it reeks of the lack of competency that we have been seeing from this organization due to the cronyism and lack of experience.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read