Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Rosevelt Colvin Signed

A little piece I came across:
Colvin, who has 521/2 sacks in nine seasons with Chicago and New England, worked out for the Colts, which raised expectations for fans and specifically family, including his mother, Bessie, who lives in Indianapolis and runs a UPS store in Broad Ripple.

"I was hoping and expecting that he would be here. This is home. He grew up in the RCA Dome," she said. "Since it didn't happen, home is Houston also. He has two uncles there and family in the Dallas/Fort Worth area."
She said her son, whose fourth-quarter sack and forced fumble clinched New England's regular-season victory at the RCA Dome last season, had advised he probably wouldn't sign with the Colts. But early media reports speculated that the pass-rushing defender could be a solid fit with the Colts, whose all-time leading sacker Dwight Freeney is coming off foot surgery.

"(Rosevelt) didn't think the Colts had enough (salary) cap room to get the kind of money he deserved," she said. "As dangerous as his position is, the game is too dangerous to play for peanuts."

Actually no.

I want to see some prove it before I talk much secondary
GAH MY EYES!!!!! WORST DEFENSE EVAAAAR!!!! THE PAIN THE PAIN!!!!! MUST DRINK UNTIL I FORGET IT ALL!!!! THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ALCOHOL ON THE PLANET!!!! GAAAAAAH!

//flashback

WOW!! I never realized I would be quoted verbatim... :cowboy1:

This just dawned on me...

Do you guys realize how good our crappy secondary is gonna look this year?

I think it's too early to go either way. I am however leaning towards it will be an improved secondary.

I think the Reeves signing was solid and this year out of the gate I think Demps will be starting. My biggest curiosity is what effect will Ray Rhodes have on our secondary and how it operates.

A few thoughts on your rantilicious rant.

1. First of all, TH really didn't want his name on my old blogs. I mean, there's references to wearing skirts and stuff, so I am sure he doesn't want his name on that sort of thing. They wanted him to have the same bookmark as the old blog, so all the FanBlog stuff is one place. There was no way for them to make a header for my old stuff and a new header for his stuff. So having a set or no, it wasn't something he had any control over at all, and he didn't like it either.

2. I appreciate TH as I appreciate any fan of the Houston Texans. It's not like we have so many fans that we should be picking fights with any of them. It's better to focus on the information than the people, but I understand your concerns.

3. As for his information on Colvin, I would put it in the FWIW category. What we know publicly is the following:

1. Colvin wanted assurances that he would have a role in Houston and that he wasn't going to move his family here and it be a temporary thing. He wanted a committment. (In other words, he doesn't want to be the wily vet coming into camp to get cut before the end of the season--even if he gets hurt because he knows how that can derail you despite your best intentions).

2. His agent says he is expected to be here for years to come.

3. It's not like any LBs on the team other than those whose names rhyme with SheDeco Buyins are so awesome that they are ensured of keeping Colvin off of the field.

4. If I were guessing, I do not think even the Texans know exactly what they have and how much they are going to use him. They acquire players without guarantees. And whoever is playing the best and is doing what the coaches want, will get the playing time. The assurances to Colvin I am sure are contractual ones. In other words, you could talk to all the friends that you have with the Texans, but in June 2008, I think that there are very few positions inked on this roster. But in the end, yeah, if he plays to his past, he is likely to see time on the field.

5. As an aside...who thinks that the public Bulman as pass rusher talk was a sort of a negotiating ploy? I've come to think that any time that the Texans talk up a try-hard player, they are either in talks to acquire a player and don't want to overpay, or they are trying to motivate a guy who isn't playing up to his contract.

6. Here's some more thoughts on Colvin for those who are interested (Nitro has asked me to put more of my FH links up so I am obliging).

TC, I guess it is the part in me than is actual ethical that can't get past the fact his name is on something he did not write. I would just flat out refuse to work for a company that would even do that.

As far as giving Colvin some assurances, umm isn't that what every FA wants and also they do not want to be the rent a player guy or camp fodder. Plus no one wants to move the family to a new place only to be cut.

Diles should still play some OLB & is a one year guy so he might be frustrated but can still look to his future + he can back up Greenwood. Weaver better bring his lunch bucket cause I do not see him better at DT than TJ. Many do not like TJ but he did turn performance around last year and could make another significant advancement this season. Weaver has shown nothing and healthy shoulder or not he needs to impress coaches this TC or he might be riding the pine.

Diles should still play some OLB & is a one year guy so he might be frustrated but can still look to his future + he can back up Greenwood. Weaver better bring his lunch bucket cause I do not see him better at DT than TJ. Many do not like TJ but he did turn performance around last year and could make another significant advancement this season. Weaver has shown nothing and healthy shoulder or not he needs to impress coaches this TC or he might be riding the pine.

I don't think we'll see Rose Colvin taking Weaver off the OL. even in pass rushing situations, we'll probably see Kalu, or Cochran in the game, and Colvin at the SAM.

What I'd like to see, is him line up behind Mario on passing downs, then just before the snap, Mario moves over, and stands up, and Colvin steps up, and puts his hand down.

I don't think we'll see Rose Colvin taking Weaver off the OL. even in pass rushing situations, we'll probably see Kalu, or Cochran in the game, and Colvin at the SAM.

What I'd like to see, is him line up behind Mario on passing downs, then just before the snap, Mario moves over, and stands up, and Colvin steps up, and puts his hand down.
Can't find link but I thought I read that when Colvin comes in to play DE, Weaver would slide to DT. I can't see Weaver beating out TJ and therefore my post. Anyone else see that article please link.

Funny how fans talk about sophomore slumps and coaches talk about the biggest jump in performance coming between years 1 and 2. I'll go with the coaches. Bennett is a perfect example of why there should be a jump rather than a slump. Rookies come in with raw talent and spend most of their first year just learning the playbook and the NFL game/speed. The next off-season they can work on technique, the finer details of the game and conditioning/strength. That's exactly what we are seeing with Bennett getting all the coaching from Ray Rhodes on footwork etc. Okoye clearly hit the rookie wall last year. Dan Riley will have that worked out for him this off-season plus all the technique coaching.

Sophmore slumps only happen when guys have unbelievable years as rookies, meaning it's sort of unlikely that they will duplicate what they did as rookies their 2nd years. At least that's what i take them as.

Sophmore slumps only happen when guys have unbelievable years as rookies, meaning it's sort of unlikely that they will duplicate what they did as rookies their 2nd years. At least that's what i take them as.

Well, let's look at the 2006 draft class and see how they did under this staff their second season:

1. Mario
2. Demeco
3. Winston
4. ODaniels

Wali Lundy was cut before the season, CTaylor was injured in training camp...

I don't see a lot of evidence to suggest that Bennett will regress this season.

I'd LOVE to see that.

Can't find link but I thought I read that when Colvin comes in to play DE, Weaver would slide to DT. I can't see Weaver beating out TJ and therefore my post. Anyone else see that article please link.

Replace the word would with could. I don't see that happening though. When he was moved inside last year he didn't look so well and wasn't matched up well. We might as well start another let's move Dunta to FS thread.

From the interview it didn't sound like to me, at least the impression I got hearing him talk, that he isn't coming to play Specifically DE. He kept repeating about his versatility as a player so I am imagining he'll see time at LB and DE.

This is from one of my favo NFL writers(a very left brain writer):

The Texans' signing of Rosevelt Colvin has given them another veteran presence on defense. None of the team's projected starters on defense are 30 years old (linebacker Morlon Greenwood is close, but none of the others are even 29). For comparison, the Patriots and Redskins each have five projected defensive starters in their 30s.

Colvin, who turns 31 in September, becomes one of only four defensive players on the team in his 30s (Jeff Zgonina 38, Nick Ferguson 33.5, Ndukwe Kalu 32.8). The Texans' projected starters on defense average 25.3 years old. That number is lowest in the league based on my preliminary projections and more than two years younger than the league average.

Of course, Mario, Ryans, Amobi make that number scoot down a bit, but still, this is a good point to make.

This is from one of my favo NFL writers(a very left brain writer):

Of course, Mario, Ryans, Amobi make that number scoot down a bit, but still, this is a good point to make.

A similar point was made last night on NFLN. I think it was Jamie Dukes that said the addition of Colvin was a good one in that the Texans (with too young of leadership defensively) probably settled for more moral victories than they should have. He went on to say that with Colvin being a leader, he can show the young guys not to settle for anything less than wins (and that meant wins in the playoffs and Super Bowl).

They meant it as no knock against Meco or anyone else, just that the addition should produce even more positive results. Like anything else though, we shall see....

yeah, i can't believe we still don't know the particulars... it's bothering me.

If he stays healthy, the contract was worth it. We catch the colts. If he doesn't
if he is Wilbur Marshall, will be choking on the cap number for awhile. He's not Jarred Allen . Nor did he cost us a first and third round pick. Smith did the best he could under the circumstance. and I believe there is a reason we don't know the cap number. Don't wanna see a bunch of belly aching come October if he gets dinged after all the boo-whooing that was done after the draft because they didn't pick a day two DE.

From McClain's blog on the Chronic's website:

John -

If its "not much money", what are the terms of the contract? What do you know?

{I'll find out the contract soon. This one has been locked down, but I'll find out eventually, once it gets to the league. I'm hearing they got him very cheap with clauses that pay him more if he stays healthy and produces. Be patient. I'm trying to enjoy a little off time since I'm actually on vacation. -- JOHN}
The Texans treat McClain like a mushroom. My guess is Colvin's agent wanted to keep the contract numbers quiet.

If Weaver were to slide inside it would be to the 3-Technique DT spot which is usually occupied by Okoye not TJ. I read something about that on the Texans website but it was long before they even talked publicly about signing Colvin.

Contract Details from McClains blog: http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/06/what_do_you_think_about_the_te_1.html

Colvin signed a three-year contract that is very fair for him if he stays healthy and produces but also is very fair for the Texans if he doesn't. General manager Rick Smith and agent Kennard McGuire negoiated off and on for several weeks, and, ultimately, as you'll see, the deal can be good for both sides.

In 2008, Colvin gets a base salary of $1 million, of which $500,000 is guaranteed. He also gets a roster bonus of $343,750.

In 2009, Colvin gets a base salary of $3 million, of which $500,000 is guaranteed. He also gets a roster bonus of $343,750.

In 2010, Colvin gets a base salary of $3.5 million, with no guarantee. He gets a roster bonus of $343,000.

So, if Colvin plays well for the Texans and stays on the team for three seasons, and his contract isn't restructured, his total deal is three years, $8.529 million if I've added correctly. Only $1 million is guaranteed, though.

If he stays healthy, the contract was worth it. We catch the colts. If he doesn't
if he is Wilbur Marshall, will be choking on the cap number for awhile. He's not Jarred Allen . Nor did he cost us a first and third round pick. Smith did the best he could under the circumstance. and I believe there is a reason we don't know the cap number. Don't wanna see a bunch of belly aching come October if he gets dinged after all the boo-whooing that was done after the draft because they didn't pick a day two DE.

I won't fault the Texans for grabbing this guy one bit, even if he does become a bust. Right now, I'd say that he is the best off season acquisition (Outside of the draft) that the Texans have made in probably 3 years. That isn't saying much, but I'm glad they got Colvin. He should be of some help.

I won't fault the Texans for grabbing this guy one bit, even if he does become a bust. Right now, I'd say that he is the best off season acquisition (Outside of the draft) that the Texans have made in probably 3 years. That isn't saying much, but I'm glad they got Colvin. He should be of some help.

The point of view I take is that you have to consider what cap hell this team was in when they inherited it. It was a mess. They have stuck to their guns and methodically built through the draft and avoided any risky big money moves that could backfire on them. They have efficiently approached free agency and signed quality depth and improved the competition all around while restructuring current players contracts... to where the plan should come to fruition when we are a player or two away from a super bowl type team... we will THEN have room to make that big splash everybody is always eager to hear about.

To get Colvin here in Houston with those terms that are favorable for both parties just shows you how impressive our new regime really is. Kudos to Smith!!

I was worried that they would pay $3-4 MM or more per year with more guaranteed money.

This is cheap. I'll take it.

Another awesome contract that should benefit player and team. All weak areas have been addressed and we now sit back and see how they play.

by the way. i understand very little about how the contracts work. please help... so if he's only guaranteed 1mil, that means that if he is hurt and doesn't do anything at all over the first two years he'll only cost us $1,688,000 (the guarantee plus the roster bonus')? and would cost nothing basically to cut him? all the other money is for things like: games played, sacks, tackles etc..? so these guys like matt ryan that are getting 70mil contracts with 35mil guaranteed, the other 35mil is all for incentives?

if so, that's pretty great for us.

I've officially changed my tune - that is an amazing deal considering there that there is only a total of 1 milion in guarantees over three seasons.

That's peanuts - I'm very happy about this deal. Goes to show that Rick Smith learned a thing or two from the Green signing.

Tremendous job by Rick Smith.

That contract is another victory for Chris Olsen imo.

Thanks RJ. I always seem to forget his name (senior moments), but I know he is probably the main man for getting us out of "cap hell." As bad as McNair screwed up in hiring C&C, which I chalk up to being a "rookie mistake," he sure has hit a home run with the hiring of Kubes, Smith, and Olsen. Those 3 have really turned this ship around IMO. And now, it's on to the Playoffs and Superbowl! :trophy: :gotexans1

I think it was Dan Ferens who held Olsen's role in the C X 3 era. That was when we had contracts like Greenwood, Wade, Robaire, and I think he was still around for the Weaver signing but not 100% sure.

Now that Chris Olsen is on board we're seeing less of those type signings and more signings like this, which is the main reason we're going from pretenders to contenders imo.

Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak must be expert salesmen because I'm still shocked that we were able to sign him. He's from the Indianapolis area. He lives there in the offseason and the Colts were pursuing him. Maybe he thought the Colts were a bad fit. When I first read that the Colts were chasing after him I figured we were going to overpay for the guy since it seemed as if he were more interested in coming to Houston. But after looking at the deal, it seems extremely fair.

Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak must be expert salesmen because I'm still shocked that we were able to sign him. He's from the Indianapolis area. He lives there in the offseason and the Colts were pursuing him. Maybe he thought the Colts were a bad fit. When I first read that the Colts were chasing after him I figured we were going to overpay for the guy since it seemed as if he were more interested in coming to Houston. But after looking at the deal, it seems extremely fair.

What was the deal??

But, I think he plainly stated the Colts didn't want to offer him a multi-year deal, and we did.

I don't know that we did, but that's what I was led to believe.

If those contract numbers are true, it tells me the market for his services wasn't all that and no other team was offering more than a one year deal. I was going to post something last night about this flood of enthusiasm I'm seeing triggering Wilber Marshall deep in the synapses - but I thought I'd leave it alone. I hope he stays healthy and plays well because if he does, the defense will certainly benefit. If he doesn't, it's not a big financial commitment at least. It's a good signing but I'm not getting all googly over it until maybe late in the season when he blindsides Vince or Peyton or Garrard and the ball flies up in the air and DeMeco picks it off and runs it back for an in-your-face, signature moment TD.

Considering the odd amounts on the roster bonuses, he may be getting the 45 Man Active Roster Bonus similar to what's in Ahman Green's contract - meaning (if that's the case) the bonus is earned week-to week for every game that he's on the 45. The bonus in that case is 1/17th (or some fraction of the total) paid out like a game check. The advantage of that type of roster bonus is that it only counts on the cap if earned - instead of the type that's payable on a specific date in a lump sum where it all counts against the cap that year. Since roster bonuses can't be prorated, that's a nice hedge against injury.

The deal tells me that Colvin is pretty confident he can stay healthy and put in many quality snaps.

Good health and many quality snaps aren't guarantees for young players much less 10 year vets. He took the best deal in terms of $$$ and potential $$$ and I don't blame him because it will probably be his last. The fact is that he's on the backside, 10th year and 31 yrs old before the season starts, and all I hope is that we get a couple decent years ... kind of like what I hoped we'd get out of Ahman Green when the Texans signed him. Don't get me wrong, I like the signing, including the 'seasoned vet with rings' influence around some of our young guys aspect, but this isn't a young Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney. It isn't even a young Rosevelt Colvin.

It's all pretty much been said, but I will add that I am stoked because this signing will make it so much harder for the opposing OC to gamplan for our defense. Rosey can literally come at ya from almost anywhere. Plus he will be a good example for the younger players resolve and determination to succeed.

It's all pretty much been said, but I will add that I am stoked because this signing will make it so much harder for the opposing OC to gamplan for our defense. Rosey can literally come at ya from almost anywhere. Plus he will be a good example for the younger players resolve and determination to succeed.

I'm with aj on this one. For $8 million, we fans may be the only ones who think Rosey has some of that left. OC, may not give him a second thought, until he proves that they should start thinking about him.

Good health and many quality snaps aren't guarantees for young players much less 10 year vets. He took the best deal in terms of $$$ and potential $$$ and I don't blame him because it will probably be his last. The fact is that he's on the backside, 10th year and 31 yrs old before the season starts, and all I hope is that we get a couple decent years ... kind of like what I hoped we'd get out of Ahman Green when the Texans signed him. Don't get me wrong, I like the signing, including the 'seasoned vet with rings' influence around some of our young guys aspect, but this isn't a young Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney. It isn't even a young Rosevelt Colvin.

no argument
well, except that neither Peppers nor Freeney are what they used to be either.
but I see your point - he's a notch down from them

by the way. i understand very little about how the contracts work. please help... so if he's only guaranteed 1mil, that means that if he is hurt and doesn't do anything at all over the first two years he'll only cost us $1,688,000 (the guarantee plus the roster bonus')? and would cost nothing basically to cut him? all the other money is for things like: games played, sacks, tackles etc..? so these guys like matt ryan that are getting 70mil contracts with 35mil guaranteed, the other 35mil is all for incentives?

The absolute minimum we're committed to is $1 mill ($500K each of the first two years). If we cut him in training camp, we have to pay him a mill. If he makes the team, he's due a roster bonus. If he meets certain incentives, it goes up more. If he sticks around for the third year, it will cost us $3.5 mill that final year. I can't tell you how it works out cap-wise, if he is cut at what time, etc., but I know $1.688 mill is not the minimum - it's only a mill.

That contract is another victory for Chris Olsen imo.
I didn't know anything about this Olsen fellow and what exactly is his job in the Texans camp as director of football admin was so I looked it up for those of us who didn't know:

Chris Olsen begins his second season with the Texans as the Director of Football Administration. He spent the previous 13 years working at the NFL league office in New York. Olsen’s primary responsibility with the Texans is to work closely with general manager Rick Smith on negotiating player contracts and managing the salary cap.

Olsen served as the manager of labor operations with the NFL Management Council from 1999-2006. He was responsible for reviewing and analyzing player contracts to ensure teams were in compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and salary cap....

www.houstontexans.com

Back