Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Rosevelt Colvin Signed

That's incorrect. Colvin was the Bears starting SAM linebacker in '01-'02. Though he did put his hand down as a DE on passing downs.

2001 Bears/Vikings gamebook
Not doubting you or the link but that's only for one game. Seems like someone over at the Texans may have bungled the writeup by stating that he was a DE until 2003 before he converted to LB. It's not just the Chronicle who bungles Texans writeups. The Texans do it too! Funny.

this should upgrade our flexibility on passing downs in a big way. colvin is a good player and we kept him away from the Colts. The future is now.

any word on the terms of the contract? years/dollars?

Im thinking its a fairly long contract, Colvin said he was looking for a commitment.

So can we all agree that if this defense looks terrible this year we, as a Texans nation, tar, feather, and set Richard Smith on fire and run him out of town?

So can we all agree that if this defense looks terrible this year we, as a Texans nation, tar, feather, and set Richard Smith on fire and run him out of town?

yes, there is no reason why we souldnt be a defense to be reckoned with.
okam will help stop te run, mario, okoye, and colvin should give us legit pass
rush, by midseason molden will have had plenty of experience and dunta should be back. next year, we should do sometin bout the safety position imo

Speaking of Richard Smith, I found it interesting (but not surprising) that Colvin didn't say, "I'm soooo looking forward to playing in Richard Smith's vaunted defensive scheme."

For NitroHonda:

Colvin has many relatives still living in the area, his dad grew up in Texas City/Galveston and his Mom was born and raised in Marshall (Up North 59, just past I-20), aunts and uncles etc.

He was talking about extra tickets to the games for family members.

yes, there is no reason why we souldnt be a defense to be reckoned with.
okam will help stop te run, mario, okoye, and colvin should give us legit pass
rush, by midseason molden will have had plenty of experience and dunta should be back. next year, we should do sometin bout the safety position imo

IMO, there are still a handfull of questions that need answering before we can proclaim ourselves to be "a defense to be reckoned with."

-We still don't know what we have at at least 1 if not both OLB positions.

-Our entire defensive backfield has yet to prove anything.

-Our defensive "bend but don't break" mindset sucks. Whether it be lack of talent or SmithDC.

-Our run defense has been inconsistant at best. Will Okam fix this? Defensive scheme?

-Our inability to cause turnovers.

I'm pumped like the rest of y'all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

My .02

Colvin will help make this a better defense, but that being said, they have a ways to go before becomming a great defense. I've said it before and I'll say it again, because of the division we are in, we could be a improved team this year and still go 8-8. We have a tough schedule for 2008.

Or........we Texan fans can reconsider our collective ability to recognize good football players...:hides:

:coffee:

any word on the terms of the contract? years/dollars?

Havn't found anything yet, but I found this quote from his agent REALLY interesting. Who really knows what it means at this point though.

Colvin's agent Kennard McGuire would not release terms of the deal, but when asked if it was a multiyear contract he said: "I think that you're going to see Rosevelt Colvin here for an extended period."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8251172/Former-Patriots-LB-will-join-Texans?MSNHPHMA

I just checked out Rosey's website: http://www.r59.com/index.php any idea what number him or Meco will be wearing? What I have also been reading is that he was a jerk to the Colts when he played them on the Pats. Its never a bad thing to have a player who hates Indy. Heres to a healthy year Colvin, welcome to H-Town!

http://http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html

In this Cron fan blog, they talk as if Covin was guaranteed a starting role. Take it for what it's worth.

I agree. Since the Texans told him he would be going right into the starting rotation, it just seems like I would have at least told him to compete for the position. It wouldn't be fair to have the QB situation decided without a healthy competition for the spot, but a LB can go right into the starting rotation. Good post, Mike. -TH

They haven't released the terms of his contract yet. I hope to have it by this afternoon and I'll post them. Since Kubiak/Smith usually don't go after high-priced FA's, I would imagine the contract is reasonable. Again, Colvin was deciding between us and the Colts. The Colts told his agent that he was not guaranteed to start. The Texans told him he would start immediately. I am sure that was a huge factor in his decision. -TH

Question - "My question is, does he compete for the starting SLB spot? Or is he simply a passrusher off the bench?"
Hey, Jeremy. It's been a while. Good to see you're still with us. The coaching staff doesn't want to make that final decision yet. They still want to see where he fits into our lineup at camp. They said he's starting and that's what help lead to him coming here. I am not quite sure where they are going to slot him, though. -TH

question - "just wondering where you heard or saw that colvin was goining to be a starter everything ive been seeing is saying 3rd down pass rusher"

That was part of the negotiation deal. Even if they don't start him, that was one of the reasons why he came here. I went to college (undergrad and grad) school with some people that work for the Texans front office. Again, I would not publish anything that I wasn't sure about. It may not turn out the way I report it, but I can wholeheartedly promise you it's facts if I publish it. I agree with you. I thought he was only going to be a 3rd down rusher and in pre-vent defense scoring situations. I guess the Texans staff are always free and open to change their minds. -TH

I'm not really comfortable starting a 250lbs player at DE. What does this mean for Weaver?

If they meant him starting at SLB, then I feel bad for Diles. The coaches been hyping him up since late last season and even name him starter. And now they're turning away from him? ouch.

http://http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html

In this Cron fan blog, they talk as if Covin was guaranteed a starting role. Take it for what it's worth.
It's a fan blog, therefore it shouldn't be held to the same scrutiny as the rest of the website. Still, if someone could point to one thing this guy and his "friends" that work for the Texans have gotten right, I might believe that Colvin was guaranteed a starting job.

Our DBs are still suspect. Second year player who may hit his sophmore slump (knock on wood), a rookie, and a free agent who was a nickel back turned number two because of injury.

Not saying that the defense shouldn't be improved...just that...still some work to be done on the defense.

Our DBs are still suspect. Second year player who may hit his sophmore slump (knock on wood), a rookie, and a free agent who was a nickel back turned number two because of injury.

Not saying that the defense shouldn't be improved...just that...still some work to be done on the defense.

You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we call the DBs suspect? I doubt Fred Bennett hits a sophomore slump. Fred has all the tools to be as good as dunta. I wouldn't be to hard on Reeves just yet because the Cowboys secondary was bad all around. As far as Moulden, we just give him time to mature...he appears to have all the tools.......I'm just sticking to the saying...In Kubiak and Smith we trust.

don't forget about the offense needing to hold onto the ball, i think both sides have improved though

Looking for scapegoats already, are we? :baby:

It's a fan blog, therefore it shouldn't be held to the same scrutiny as the rest of the website. Still, if someone could point to one thing this guy and his "friends" that work for the Texans have gotten right, I might believe that Colvin was guaranteed a starting job.

Yea, this is the same guy whose "college friends around the NFL" said the Texans were poised to make a big FA signing back in the Spring.

I wouldn't even read his garbage. But, if you do, take it with a grain of salt.

If the secondary gets burned... I don't know if you can lay that at his feet. Basically a guy who played half of his rookie year, and a 3rd round draft choice who hasn't taken an nfl snap in his life.....

Mike

Yea, this is the same guy whose "college friends around the NFL" said the Texans were poised to make a big FA signing back in the Spring.

I wouldn't even read his garbage. But, if you do, take it with a grain of salt.
Are you talking about Thomas Hilton? I appreciate his work as well as ANYONE who takes the time to write about the Texans. Yeah, that includes McClain, Manful, Raley, ESPN, Keith, LZ, TexansChick, NFL.com, HoustonTexans.com, and many others. I still take everything that's been written with a grain of salt. Even the HoustonTexans.com articles. Gameday is all that matters to me. Who cares when gameday is here.

It's just fun reading about the Houston Texans is all. Whoever takes the time to write this stuff gets my appreciation. Includes everyone of you posters here on TexansTalk and other boards.

Garbage or not, it's fun reading about the Houston Texans. I guess what I'm saying is that I really missed football when the Oilers left. I'll never take having a football team in Houston for granted again. Never.

You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we call the DBs suspect?

You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we decide the DB's aren't suspect? The secondary was a major concern last season and as you said, Reeves was a part of another bad secondary, so that's not too much to get excited about. Add a third round rookie CB and it is safe to call our secondary suspect until proven otherwise. Just my opinion, but we are all entitled to our own.

You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we decide the DB's aren't suspect? The secondary was a major concern last season and as you said, Reeves was a part of another bad secondary, so that's not too much to get excited about. Add a third round rookie CB and it is safe to call our secondary suspect until proven otherwise. Just my opinion, but we are all entitled to our own.

Don't get facts get in the way of a good argument. Lets assume Aman Green, Charles Spencer, Drob, and hell Tony Bosseli are all coming back at full strength. Imagine what Bosseli is going to do when he gets to sit out every other play.

Mike

Not that I am a fan of Richard Smith, but I am going to have to disagree here. It seems to me that a lot of folks are putting a lot of expectations on a bunch of unproven guys on our defense. We have three players on defense that have proven they are productive, quality players, IMO - Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, and Dunta Robinson. D-Rob's out until mid-season at best, and realistically, he won't be on his game this season at all. It's the nature of knee injuries. So that leaves Mario and Demeco.

Who do we have in the secondary? Bennett had a good rookie season, and there's reason for optimism, but he's far from proven. There has been a phrase coined for a common phenomenon, dubbed the "sophomore slump". I'm not saying it's going to affect Bennett, but for as many young players as we have, it's bound to hit one or two of our promising guys. Across from Bennett, we have exactly what is unproven - a guy who didn't show well in Dallas, and is thought to have enough raw talent to be coached up to do well in our system. Maybe so, maybe no, but definitely unproven. Faggins, CC Brown, and Glenn Earl, on the other hand, are proven. They are all proven to be mediocre to terrible. Expecting some quantum leap forward at this point would be foolish. We can all hope, but expectation is the wrong word, IMO. At any rate, we have one guy in the secondary that I am optimistic about - Bennett.

Let's talk linebackers. Ryans is developing into the best MLB in the game (I mean exactly that, too). Aside from him, though, we have a bundle of players who are either proven journeymen, or unproven youth. I have high hopes for Adibi, but he's a rookie, and it may take him some time to get up to NFL speed. It may not, but it would be foolish to expect otherwise, I think. Colvin is a good addition, if we're adding him to the LB group, but there are questions there. I'll choose to be optimistic, and say we have a three-down player in Colvin.

D-Line seems like it should be the strength of our team, but think about it. Mario is a beast, we all agree. Okoye disappeared down the stretch, as rookies usually do, so what should we expect from him this year? A sophomore slump? An ascent to stardom like Mario? There are a lot of hopes being placed on an unproven player here, and I'm not Richard Smith is going to have as much to do with this as Franklin will. And I keep seeing all this unbridled enthusiasm for Okam, which I am all on board with. So I hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but a.)he's a rookie, and will probably fade down the stretch if he does well at all, and b.) he's completely unproven at the NFL level. Travis Johnson and Weaver are both proven, but nothing special, IMO. TJ ranks a bit higher in my mind, because he does have a knack for making plays now and again, but Weaver has proven to be a big zero as a Texan. Weaver and Cochran are nice depth, and it would be nice if one made the leap to full-time stud lineman, but I am not sure that's reasonable to expect, either.

Given the number of players that have to deliver on hopes (not expectations) this year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Richard Smith has all the tools he needs to succeed, much less be a powerhouse defense. Just looking at the odds tells you that some of those guys won't develop as quickly as hoped, will flat not perform, will have injuries, and/or just struggle as rookies sometimes do. And the odds tell us that some of them will become better players. Which ones make that jump and how big a jump it is will have more to do with our defensive prowess this year than Richard Smith, IMO.

Looking for scapegoats already, are we? :baby:

Curious, why would I be looking for a scapegoat? Just b/c Richard Smith has been given play makers every year and has four out eleven players that are first round picks, key FA signings such at Demps, Reeves, and now Colvin, doesn't mean that I should expect our defense to perform now does it?

I thank you for offering me your pacifier but I would hate to take it from you.

And thank you for your thoughtful and insightful post.

:smiliedance:
I can accept that. Heck I can could even deal with his 4 1/2 sack shortened season last year when you consider thats 4 1/2 sacks more than our starting DE had last year.

Paging Mr. Manning, Paging Mr. Manning, the Texans Defense would like to have a word with you. And thats Peyton with and E-Y, right?
I think that's Peyton with a "HOLY CRAP there's some good D's in this division"
Then and now.

Close your eyes and imagine the infinitesimally small possibility of the Texans signing Colvin under the previous regime.

Now open your eyes, take a deep breath, smell the gardenias and tell yourself that it was only a bad dream.
What's a gardenia?
Absotively, posilutely
Speaking of Richard Smith, I found it interesting (but not surprising) that Colvin didn't say, "I'm soooo looking forward to playing in Richard Smith's vaunted defensive scheme."
Ya know, I've only heard oppossing offenses say anything remotely resembling that......only one word is changed.......
IMO, there are still a handfull of questions that need answering before we can proclaim ourselves to be "a defense to be reckoned with."

-We still don't know what we have at at least 1 if not both OLB positions.

-Our entire defensive backfield has yet to prove anything.

-Our defensive "bend but don't break" mindset sucks. Whether it be lack of talent or SmithDC.

-Our run defense has been inconsistant at best. Will Okam fix this? Defensive scheme?

-Our inability to cause turnovers.

I'm pumped like the rest of y'all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

My .02
Dude....Quit crappin on my "run Richard Smith outta town" parade.

Not before giving him a barbed wire enema, of course.:backsout:
That's soooo wrong on soooo many levels.

I'm gonna go out on a very small branch and predict that MW sets the single game sack record against the Dolphins. He MAY get it against the Ravens or Lions also.....

Not that I am a fan of Richard Smith, but I am going to have to disagree here. It seems to me that a lot of folks are putting a lot of expectations on a bunch of unproven guys on our defense. We have three players on defense that have proven they are productive, quality players, IMO - Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, and Dunta Robinson. D-Rob's out until mid-season at best, and realistically, he won't be on his game this season at all. It's the nature of knee injuries. So that leaves Mario and Demeco.

Who do we have in the secondary? Bennett had a good rookie season, and there's reason for optimism, but he's far from proven. There has been a phrase coined for a common phenomenon, dubbed the "sophomore slump". I'm not saying it's going to affect Bennett, but for as many young players as we have, it's bound to hit one or two of our promising guys. Across from Bennett, we have exactly what is unproven - a guy who didn't show well in Dallas, and is thought to have enough raw talent to be coached up to do well in our system. Maybe so, maybe no, but definitely unproven. Faggins, CC Brown, and Glenn Earl, on the other hand, are proven. They are all proven to be mediocre to terrible. Expecting some quantum leap forward at this point would be foolish. We can all hope, but expectation is the wrong word, IMO. At any rate, we have one guy in the secondary that I am optimistic about - Bennett.

Let's talk linebackers. Ryans is developing into the best MLB in the game (I mean exactly that, too). Aside from him, though, we have a bundle of players who are either proven journeymen, or unproven youth. I have high hopes for Adibi, but he's a rookie, and it may take him some time to get up to NFL speed. It may not, but it would be foolish to expect otherwise, I think. Colvin is a good addition, if we're adding him to the LB group, but there are questions there. I'll choose to be optimistic, and say we have a three-down player in Colvin.

D-Line seems like it should be the strength of our team, but think about it. Mario is a beast, we all agree. Okoye disappeared down the stretch, as rookies usually do, so what should we expect from him this year? A sophomore slump? An ascent to stardom like Mario? There are a lot of hopes being placed on an unproven player here, and I'm not Richard Smith is going to have as much to do with this as Franklin will. And I keep seeing all this unbridled enthusiasm for Okam, which I am all on board with. So I hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but a.)he's a rookie, and will probably fade down the stretch if he does well at all, and b.) he's completely unproven at the NFL level. Travis Johnson and Weaver are both proven, but nothing special, IMO. TJ ranks a bit higher in my mind, because he does have a knack for making plays now and again, but Weaver has proven to be a big zero as a Texan. Weaver and Cochran are nice depth, and it would be nice if one made the leap to full-time stud lineman, but I am not sure that's reasonable to expect, either.

Given the number of players that have to deliver on hopes (not expectations) this year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Richard Smith has all the tools he needs to succeed, much less be a powerhouse defense. Just looking at the odds tells you that some of those guys won't develop as quickly as hoped, will flat not perform, will have injuries, and/or just struggle as rookies sometimes do. And the odds tell us that some of them will become better players. Which ones make that jump and how big a jump it is will have more to do with our defensive prowess this year than Richard Smith, IMO.

I agree on just about all those points, except I also want to add that Greenwood is also proven and has been solid through the years, even though he gets very little credit.

How can you evaluate players and coaches in a vacuum? It's Richard Smith's job to get the best out of a player, just as a player is responsible for his own performance.

Can you compare Weaver's productivity under Rick Smith versus his productivity under Mike Nolan in Baltimore and conclude anything? I'm not sure.

Can you say that CC Brown, Bennett, Okoye, Okam, Cochran, Bullman, Diles, Molden, BHarrison, etc... couldn't be better players if they had a different coach? I'm not sure. I do know that Faggins was a better CB before Richard Smith came to town. I don't know that he's the reason why Faggins struggled last year.

However, clearly the team has spent a lot of resources the past 3 years to improve the defense. So, if this defense, after all the efforts on the personnel end the past 3 seasons still ranks near the bottom, clearly Richard Smith will be held accountable.

Are you talking about Thomas Hilton? I appreciate his work as well as ANYONE who takes the time to write about the Texans. Yeah, that includes McClain, Manful, Raley, ESPN, Keith, LZ, TexansChick, NFL.com, HoustonTexans.com, and many others. I still take everything that's been written with a grain of salt. Even the HoustonTexans.com articles. Gameday is all that matters to me. Who cares when gameday is here.

It's just fun reading about the Houston Texans is all. Whoever takes the time to write this stuff gets my appreciation. Includes everyone of you posters here on TexansTalk and other boards.

Garbage or not, it's fun reading about the Houston Texans. I guess what I'm saying is that I really missed football when the Oilers left. I'll never take having a football team in Houston for granted again. Never.

Nitro while I agree it is fun to read about the Texans and all, I just would love to have a few facts thrown in with all the crap writing most of these hacts write. TC is the one major exception. Her writing is fun and is ment to be fun, and then she throws in more facts in than these so-called beat writers do. She (Stephanie) trys to let readers know when she is specualting or when it is info coming straight from a source she has with the team or NFL, versus this Thomas Hilton jackass who writes crap and makes it sound as if Kubiack told him. He repeatedly says Colvin will start from and that it was the major factor that got Colvin to sign. Not once did he offer one shred of evidence to support this or who told him this, why? Because he is pulling it out his ass. Anyone who would let a paper or news outlet put their name be put on other fan blogs is a piece of crap in my book and has no balls. TC will not complain or say anything but this piece of crap has his name on all of TC's old blogs. Now while it was the chrons decision, anyone with an ounce of respect and just a hint of a set a balls he would have told them NO.

OK rant off now, sorry that I got my ire up so early but this guy is the most worthless writer in al of Houston and I can not fathom anyone reading or paying attention to him.

Nitro while I agree it is fun to read about the Texans and all, I just would love to have a few facts thrown in with all the crap writing most of these hacts write. TC is the one major exception. Her writing is fun and is ment to be fun, and then she throws in more facts in than these so-called beat writers do. She (Stephanie) trys to let readers know when she is specualting or when it is info coming straight from a source she has with the team or NFL, versus this Thomas Hilton jackass who writes crap and makes it sound as if Kubiack told him. He repeatedly says Colvin will start from and that it was the major factor that got Colvin to sign. Not once did he offer one shred of evidence to support this or who told him this, why? Because he is pulling it out his ass. Anyone who would let a paper or news outlet put their name be put on other fan blogs is a piece of crap in my book and has no balls. TC will not complain or say anything but this piece of crap has his name on all of TC's old blogs. Now while it was the chrons decision, anyone with an ounce of respect and just a hint of a set a balls he would have told them NO.

OK rant off now, sorry that I got my ire up so early but this guy is the most worthless writer in al of Houston and I can not fathom anyone reading or paying attention to him.

I agree. This Hilton dude hasn't a clue of what he's talking about. I'd rather not read anything at all than to read false information from a "yes man". I find it hard to believe he's lasted this long.

Eh, I guess there are still some peeps that actually read his crap. :thinking:

Its funny. I've thought about starting a blog. Not necessarily limited to Texans stats, but just take various questions each week and try to prove them with some validity statistically. The reason I never did, was twofold,

a) 50% of the people believe 90% of statistics are used 75% of the time to tell only 33% of the truth.
b) The more I try to avoid statements like rule a) the less people like what I have to say.

I would say read the guys stuff and take it with a grain of salt. It is like anything else, buyer beware. At the same time, its easy to slam someone for putting something out there, but the guy is at least putting some time into it if only to convey his opinion. I'm not saying is writing is worth a crap. If you don't like it, don't read it, but don't dog the guys doing it for free. Now when some paid hack doesn't do his job.... get the tar and feathers.

Mike

Funny how fans talk about sophomore slumps and coaches talk about the biggest jump in performance coming between years 1 and 2. I'll go with the coaches. Bennett is a perfect example of why there should be a jump rather than a slump. Rookies come in with raw talent and spend most of their first year just learning the playbook and the NFL game/speed. The next off-season they can work on technique, the finer details of the game and conditioning/strength. That's exactly what we are seeing with Bennett getting all the coaching from Ray Rhodes on footwork etc. Okoye clearly hit the rookie wall last year. Dan Riley will have that worked out for him this off-season plus all the technique coaching.

Funny how fans talk about sophomore slumps and coaches talk about the biggest jump in performance coming between years 1 and 2. I'll go with the coaches. Bennett is a perfect example of why there should be a jump rather than a slump. Rookies come in with raw talent and spend most of their first year just learning the playbook and the NFL game/speed. The next off-season they can work on technique, the finer details of the game and conditioning/strength. That's exactly what we are seeing with Bennett getting all the coaching from Ray Rhodes on footwork etc. Okoye clearly hit the rookie wall last year. Dan Riley will have that worked out for him this off-season plus all the technique coaching.

Yet still, there's no disputing that sophomore slumps happen. We can debate the reasons, but they happen. Sometimes due to injury, sometimes due to immaturity, and sometimes just due to something else. I'm not disputing what you say about the coaches, and I generally side with them over a bunch of message board yahoos, but it is observable that sophomore slumps occur.

A few thoughts on your rantilicious rant.

1. First of all, TH really didn't want his name on my old blogs. I mean, there's references to wearing skirts and stuff, so I am sure he doesn't want his name on that sort of thing. They wanted him to have the same bookmark as the old blog, so all the FanBlog stuff is one place. There was no way for them to make a header for my old stuff and a new header for his stuff. So having a set or no, it wasn't something he had any control over at all, and he didn't like it either.

2. I appreciate TH as I appreciate any fan of the Houston Texans. It's not like we have so many fans that we should be picking fights with any of them. It's better to focus on the information than the people, but I understand your concerns.

3. As for his information on Colvin, I would put it in the FWIW category. What we know publicly is the following:

1. Colvin wanted assurances that he would have a role in Houston and that he wasn't going to move his family here and it be a temporary thing. He wanted a committment. (In other words, he doesn't want to be the wily vet coming into camp to get cut before the end of the season--even if he gets hurt because he knows how that can derail you despite your best intentions).

2. His agent says he is expected to be here for years to come.

3. It's not like any LBs on the team other than those whose names rhyme with SheDeco Buyins are so awesome that they are ensured of keeping Colvin off of the field.

4. If I were guessing, I do not think even the Texans know exactly what they have and how much they are going to use him. They acquire players without guarantees. And whoever is playing the best and is doing what the coaches want, will get the playing time. The assurances to Colvin I am sure are contractual ones. In other words, you could talk to all the friends that you have with the Texans, but in June 2008, I think that there are very few positions inked on this roster. But in the end, yeah, if he plays to his past, he is likely to see time on the field.

5. As an aside...who thinks that the public Bulman as pass rusher talk was a sort of a negotiating ploy? I've come to think that any time that the Texans talk up a try-hard player, they are either in talks to acquire a player and don't want to overpay, or they are trying to motivate a guy who isn't playing up to his contract.

6. Here's some more thoughts on Colvin for those who are interested (Nitro has asked me to put more of my FH links up so I am obliging).

This just dawned on me...

Do you guys realize how good our crappy secondary is gonna look this year?

Actually no.

I want to see some prove it before I talk much secondary

/wooweee how about that 2005 tandem of Phillip Buchanon - Dunta Robinson? Two first rounders! We have turned the corner! Good thing the other team is wearing black for the opener. GAH MY EYES!!!!! WORST DEFENSE EVAAAAR!!!! THE PAIN THE PAIN!!!!! MUST DRINK UNTIL I FORGET IT ALL!!!! THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ALCOHOL ON THE PLANET!!!! GAAAAAAH!

//flashback

Yet still, there's no disputing that sophomore slumps happen. We can debate the reasons, but they happen. Sometimes due to injury, sometimes due to immaturity, and sometimes just due to something else. I'm not disputing what you say about the coaches, and I generally side with them over a bunch of message board yahoos, but it is observable that sophomore slumps occur.

Sure they happen, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Back