Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Romo out 4 weeks

I think this is a question that bears repeating. Wasn't it Kurt Warner's broken pinky finger that almost derailed his career?

Also, at this time, I am not really worried about Brad Johnson, our back up quarterback since he has playoff and Super Bowl experience. On the otherhand, if our back up was someone with less experience and getting a first opportunity to carry the team during Romo's absence, I would probably hope for and 8/8 or 9/7 at best.

You'd better hope Brad straps his Depends up nice and tight because he's going to take some licks. :tiphat:

if it's the index finger, i think the Cowboys season ended in Arizona. other than your thumb, its probably the most important finger to throw a spiral and accurate pass.

i thought they have been too pass happy anyways. Jones looks really good and if they commit to the running game it will just open up the rest of the people. of course that would risk a TO meltdown if he doesn't get the ball so they will probably still throw the ball around a lot regardless of who is behind center.

Felix Jones is out with a hamstring injury for 2-4 weeks.

Ol'geezer???? Hey, Favre and Warner aren't doing too bad, considering that thing called old age for football players.

LOL! Y'all are getting a little over protective of the old man aren't ya? I guess it was a sore subject to crack jokes on??

I don't have a problem with Bledso.....er...Johnson. I just think he's going to be a sitting duck behind a line that supposedly one of the best.

LOL! Y'all are getting a little over protective of the old man aren't ya? I guess it was a sore subject to crack jokes on??

I don't have a problem with Bledso.....er...Johnson. I just think he's going to be a sitting duck behind a line that supposedly one of the best.

Well if the line is one of the best they'll get back on track and he won't get touched. If they play like they did last Sunday he'll be in trouble.

I'm kind of amused at the old geezer stuff...suffice it to say I think a 40 year old that plays in the NFL is in probably much better shape than a 40 year old walking the street. :)

Well if the line is one of the best they'll get back on track and he won't get touched. If they play like they did last Sunday he'll be in trouble.

I'm kind of amused at the old geezer stuff...suffice it to say I think a 40 year old that plays in the NFL is in probably much better shape than a 40 year old walking the street. :)

*Looks down at toolshed* Um, I suppose you got me on that one. LMAO!

And I'm only 38.

*Looks down at toolshed* Um, I suppose you got me on that one. LMAO!

And I'm only 38.

I'm older so of course I'm gonna support the "OLDER" NFL guys...but I still think they could run rings around most 40 year olds I know anyway.

Bear in mind that us old folks have each other backs!

Dread, I've always been respectful on here to you and others. I've never had cross words with you. Maybe you should learn the same. You are doing the same thing you claim to despise by trying to go out of your way to be difficult and an a-hole. Its unnecessary. Also, I never said that 100% was less of a record. I said that the Cowboys have had the consistency, including 20 straight winning seasons(a record)...over 3-4 decades and that the consistency and making it to 8 SBs is a major feat. I said that this MAY be a harder feat overall then making just one run in one decade. Also, I'm not sure when you grew up but before the 49ers had done anything, the Cowboys had already established themselves as a premier team and had played in multiple SBs(5 of them in the 70s), including classics against the Steelers and Colts and had won vs Miami and Denver. That doesn't even include the Ice Bowl vs the Packers in the late 60s. So the whole "braggarts from N. Texas" is really weak and completely wrong. If you want to figure out why some Cowboy fans might respond badly to you, look at your writing. Grow up and show some of us the same respect that we have shown you for a long time now.

I will be the first to admit that when it comes to the Dallas cowboy's (note I spelled it with a lowercase"C") I can be short sighted, juvenile and just plain mean. I have a great deal of respect for Tom Landry's Cowboys of the 70s, but when the Lizzard KING bought the team and fired the venrable gent my respect went by the wayside.
The fact remains that growing up as an Oiler fan I had Cowboy fans rubbing those two Superbowls in my face ad naseum and grew SICK of it. What's worse when my team packed up and went to Tennessee, the same Cowboy fans (many of whom were absent when a they acquired a brilliant young QB from UCLA whom I still love and only won one game) were the most obnoxious people on the planet and expected many Oiler fans to become defacto Cowboy fans as if we either had no choice or were the spoils of war.

I wasn't trying to rub you the wrong way, and will admit I did adopt a school yard mentality on this, but truthfully I and several Texan/former Oiler fans would like to see the Boys return to the civility of the Landry era rather than the Michael Irvin showboating that seems to flow through the veins of Terrel Owens (though he's always been a jerk) and the bulk of those on the current roster.

I appologize not for what I said, nor for the passion contained within, but rather for the bitter, condescending way which I said it. BTW I wasn't being an A-hole, I was being a WHOLE @$$.

Respectfully,
DH

I will be the first to admit that when it comes to the Dallas cowboy's (note I spelled it with a lowercase"C") I can be short sighted, juvenile and just plain mean. I have a great deal of respect for Tom Landry's Cowboys of the 70s, but when the Lizzard KING bought the team and fired the venrable gent my respect went by the wayside.
The fact remains that growing up as an Oiler fan I had Cowboy fans rubbing those two Superbowls in my face ad naseum and grew SICK of it. What's worse when my team packed up and went to Tennessee, the same Cowboy fans (many of whom were absent when a they acquired a brilliant young QB from UCLA whom I still love and only won one game) were the most obnoxious people on the planet and expected many Oiler fans to become defacto Cowboy fans as if we either had no choice or were the spoils of war.

I wasn't trying to rub you the wrong way, and will admit I did adopt a school yard mentality on this, but truthfully I and several Texan/former Oiler fans would like to see the Boys return to the civility of the Landry era rather than the Michael Irvin showboating that seems to flow through the veins of Terrel Owens (though he's always been a jerk) and the bulk of those on the current roster.

I appologize not for what I said, nor for the passion contained within, but rather for the bitter, condescending way which I said it. BTW I wasn't being an A-hole, I was being a WHOLE @$$.

Respectfully,
DH

Well I accept that and I know everyone has their reasons for hating on other teams. I am always just trying to show that there are many not like that...Star and WWJD included. Unfortunately these days I think there are always going to be TO types on every team. Many athletes today don't respect the game like they did back in the old days. Thanks for the post.

Well I accept that and I know everyone has their reasons for hating on other teams. I am always just trying to show that there are many not like that...Star and WWJD included. Unfortunately these days I think there are always going to be TO types on every team. Many athletes today don't respect the game like they did back in the old days. Thanks for the post.

Cowboys suck...................??

:stirpot:

Just yanking your chaing Frog. :tease:

Respectfully,
DH

Um... what he said. Exactly what he said.

TEXAS (TICKER) —Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo did not participate in practice Friday and has been listed as questionable for this weekend’s game against the St. Louis Rams.

Four days after being diagnosed with a broken pinkie finger on his throwing hand, Romo essentially stood in the middle of the practice field as a spectator during the Cowboys’ workout.

Although Cowboys coach Wade Phillips did not disclose details regarding Romo’s playing status, team owner Jerry Jones said that the two-time Pro Bowler will play Sunday against the Rams.

Jones made the announcement Friday on his weekly radio appearance with 1310 “The Ticket’s Norm Hitzges.”

“It’s very likely that he’ll be ready to play,” Jones said. “The question is, can he handle the pain?”
Phillips said a decision on Romo, who was expected to miss two to four weeks with the injury, has yet to be made. However, it appears as though the decision if Romo will play is not up to Phillips.

“Whatever Jerry says, I’m going with,” Phillips said.

Jones also said there is no concern about Romo causing further damage to the pinkie.

Romo wore a different wrap on his right hand Friday than the one he had for Thursday’s practice. During the media portion of practice, veteran Brad Johnson again took all the snaps with the first-team offense.

Romo was expected to miss three games with the injury, which he suffered on the first play of overtime in Sunday’s 30-24 loss to Arizona.

It makes me wonder why Stretch, reinforcing Favre's comments, would be putting pressure of his QB to take the road of playing this Sunday, instead of letting it play out as dictated by the situation. Saying that he has no concern about further pinkie damage is downright shallow. Maybe he can't further injure his pinkie (and that's even questionable depending if the location of the fracture involves the potential of injuring adjacent tendons and ligaments). But when a QB has pain in the broken pinkie even when taped or is "guarding" the digit, it will lead to changing/compensating his mechanics whether because of pain or inability to grip the ball, potentially leaving himself open to other parts of his body just because of his responses to rush of the D.

Even totally numbing the pinkie with injections will lead to similar scenarios due to inability to properly grip or inability to judge the true position of the ball in the hand or in space (proprioception). Either way, it could put his QB at unnecessary risk, not to mention what it could do to his confidence.

But go ahead, Stretch. Contribute to the meltdown.

Jerry is just talking to hear himself talk...ultimately the decision lies with Tony.

I think Brad Johnson will start this game against the Rams.

Jerry is just talking to hear himself talk...ultimately the decision lies with Tony.

I think Brad Johnson will start this game against the Rams.

I think Brad Johnson SHOULD start this game. I don't think guys that are injured and can't perform at their normal level should be playing IF their backup can perform better and give the team a better chance to win.

But I don't have the faith in Brad Johnson that a lot of the experts do. I've seen him play a lot of very bad football. Guys on the various shows are saying that Johnson will be a calming influence and that he'll take care of the ball and be a game manager and make good decisions. Well. His decision making has been really bad at times so I don't know how they've formed these opinions. Maybe they just think that vets are automatically game managers.

But here's my point, I think Johnson is bad but he's going to be better than Romo right now. This could be very bad for the Cowboys.

I think Brad Johnson SHOULD start this game. I don't think guys that are injured and can't perform at their normal level should be playing IF their backup can perform better and give the team a better chance to win.

But I don't have the faith in Brad Johnson that a lot of the experts do. I've seen him play a lot of very bad football. Guys on the various shows are saying that Johnson will be a calming influence and that he'll take care of the ball and be a game manager and make good decisions. Well. His decision making has been really bad at times so I don't know how they've formed these opinions. Maybe they just think that vets are automatically game managers.

But here's my point, I think Johnson is bad but he's going to be better than Romo right now. This could be very bad for the Cowboys.

Hmmm..interesting take. He's always been a very adequate QB to me. He's smart and WILL make good decisions. I don't actually think they will change their game plan at all with him in there. If anything offensively it will hurt more for them to not have Felix Jones in there.

I think he'll do fine. IF he plays.

the biggest difference with Johnson obviously is his complete immobility. huge difference from Romo

otherwise, good QB, good decision-maker

the biggest difference with Johnson obviously is his complete immobility. huge difference from Romo

otherwise, good QB, good decision-maker

I don't know, maybe I just have selective memory, but I recall several multi-interception games from him. Wasn't he like 5 TD's and 13 picks in his last starting assignment? Granted, that was the Vikings, but still.

I don't know, maybe I just have selective memory, but I recall several multi-interception games from him. Wasn't he like 5 TD's and 13 picks in his last starting assignment? Granted, that was the Vikings, but still.

Your're pretty close. Taking over after the Culpepper injury in 2005, Johnson led the Vikings to a 7-2 record as a starter, completing 184 of 294 passes for 1,885 yards with 12 touchdowns and just four interceptions. In the 10 games he played, he had two or more touchdown passes in five games and had just three games in which he threw an interception. BUT in 2006, he essentially reversed his stats throwing 9 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Johnson's career stats

Some interesting background (note the -7 compared to the Texans -9 game)

One of the most bet on games heading into Sunday, the Dallas Cowboys vs. St. Louis Rams betting odds opened at Dallas -9 and that line has since settled in at -7 just about everywhere.

The away team has performed well in this series dating back to 1987, going 7-3, but Dallas and St. Louis have pretty much split wins over the last 4 games of this decade. In fact, aside from last season's game, the Rams have played Dallas pretty close. Only two of the games in this series over the last 10 won by Dallas were by a score of 6 points or more. Last season was the only true blow out win.

[LINK]

I am assuming the "Star" is a joke about the trash rag. I wish we had a paper like the DMN here. Their sports section and other areas are far superior than the crap we get here.

I used to argue with people 10-15 years ago about that same subject...when The Post was around and The Chron was forced to actually report news and dig for stories, but now, even with the advent of bloggers, I could not agree with you more Frog. The nations 4th largest city can't hire a good sportswriter?

Houston sports reporting blows.

Yeah, but these Rams aren't the Rams of earlier in the century and the Cowboys aren't the same Cowboys of earlier in the century.

Don't know about that..I've spent many years watching the Cowboys and I've seen them when they've been the best and the worst. Right now they are not playing with any fire or heart...paper tigers!

Disappointing to me as a fan but I've seen it before.

Don't know about that..I've spent many years watching the Cowboys and I've seen them when they've been the best and the worst. Right now they are not playing with any fire or heart...paper tigers!

Disappointing to me as a fan but I've seen it before.

I'm with you. I never make excuses for them. Part of me doesn't mind it happening because if you are going to play with no heart than things need to change and this is the type of thing that causes change.

I'm with you. I never make excuses for them. Part of me doesn't mind it happening because if you are going to play with no heart than things need to change and this is the type of thing that causes change.

Ah I've seen it before..you stay with one team long enough and you'll see it eventually.

They are not mentally tough in any way and when you aren't mentally tough in the NFL you make mistakes..you get exposed....you lose your composure...your weaknesses are glaring. No need to go on.:foottap:

Wade might as well put the "for sale" out at his home. He is done..done..done...

I'm not sure WHO could coach the Cowboys really...Jerry makes it so tough.

Ah I've seen it before..you stay with one team long enough and you'll see it eventually.

They are not mentally tough in any way and when you aren't mentally tough in the NFL you make mistakes..you get exposed....you lose your composure...your weaknesses are glaring. No need to go on.:foottap:

Wade might as well put the "for sale" out at his home. He is done..done..done...

I'm not sure WHO could coach the Cowboys really...Jerry makes it so tough.

He does make it tough but he also gives you all you need to succeed and a huge backing. The problem is he did the right thing with Parcells and now he is reverting back with this talent. What bothers me though is that you can't coach heart and there are guys just rolling the helmet out. I'm not sure if that is a product of Wade or not.

He does make it tough but he also gives you all you need to succeed and a huge backing. The problem is he did the right thing with Parcells and now he is reverting back with this talent. What bothers me though is that you can't coach heart and there are guys just rolling the helmet out. I'm not sure if that is a product of Wade or not.

At least I have the Horns!

The Cowboys have no leaders. On the bench or on the field. And that's being exposed big time right now.

I feel somewhat sorry for Wade. I have to wonder how much control he has been given from the gitgo. I don't know that he has had much to say as far as personel picks. Certainly, it takes a good coach to direct players. It takes more than money alone. It takes more than having a hodge podge collection of talent on a team. Beyond that, someone or someones have to have the talent or at least the insight to recognize "CHEMISTRY." This is what the head "someone" in this case seems to be lacking, or at least to have lost..............and, furthermore, does not want to give up this roll.

As far as thinking Garrett is going to walk in next year and become the saviour, I would hesistate to bet the farm. As we have seen throughout the NFL, a good coordinator does not necessarily translate into a good head coach, especially if he comes into the situation knowing that he will be forced to do so while wearing a patch over one eye and having one hand tied behind his back.

I feel somewhat sorry for Wade. I have to wonder how much control he has been given from the gitgo. I don't know that he has had much to say as far as personel picks. Certainly, it takes a good coach to direct players. It takes more than money alone. It takes more than having a hodge podge collection of talent on a team. Beyond that, someone or someones have to have the talent or at least the insight to recognize "CHEMISTRY." This is what the head "someone" in this case seems to be lacking, or at least to have lost..............and, furthermore, does not want to give up this roll.

As far as thinking Garrett is going to walk in next year and become the saviour, I would hesistate to bet the farm. As we have seen throughout the NFL, a good coordinator does not necessarily translate into a good head coach, especially if he comes into the situation knowing that he will be forced to do so while wearing a patch over one eye and having one hand tied behind his back.

You have some very well thought out points...I personally feel Wade is not capable of coaching this team to anything...THIS team I think has no leaders on the field...plays dumb...makes mistakes that cost them yardage and even points and good teams...championship teams just don't do that.

Perhaps Wade just doesn't care anymore. The players don't seem too really. I had season tickets when the Cowboys were 1-15 and those guys played hard. They just were totally outmanned on both sides of the ball. But they TRIED. I don't see any fight in this Cowboys team. None.

They're just clueless out there.

Wade is done. I am just about sure of that.

I would not be in favor of hiring Garrett at this point. Probably will happen though.

This is so true.
Jerry understands talent but he has no clue when it comes to chemistry.

I should add that Demarcus Ware plays hard every game and is as solid as they come. He actually does come to play and that's a rarity for this Cowboys team.

Congratulations on the record he set today. He deserves it. That was ONE draft pick they got right.

This is so true.
Jerry understands talent but he has no clue when it comes to chemistry.

Uh yea sorta...he hits right sometimes but that's probably the law of averages.

And he has played football since college and should know a little bit about it.

Jerry's problem is he really REALLY wants to be the coach of the Cowboys. He always has. He can't be so he's gonna breath down the neck of every coach they ever get. Sometimes they bite back like Jimmy and even millions won't make him stay. Sometimes you get a Switzer type that really would rather eat hot dogs on the sidelines than actually make a coaching decision.

Jerry runs everybody off eventually.

The ONE thing he does exceedingly well is get players signed and he'll do anything to get somebody to the team if they catch his fancy. He's a marvelous businessman and is very innovative. He's the best marketing guy in the NFL. Hands down.

I don't think Garrett is ready and if you look at the offense the last few weeks he needs to do more with that. At this point though he would need to be interim until they discover the next move.

Wade is a good man and a good guy but no matter how much control he has, he isn't a guy players follow into battle. He jumps around all goofy after scores and looks lost at times with his headphones all crooked. I just think he is overmatched for this talent and environment.

You'd better hope Brad straps his Depends up nice and tight because he's going to take some licks. :tiphat:

*Ahem* I hate to say it but........told ya. :shades:

Romo uses his legs to make alot of plays on the run. Brad no longer has much for legs, if he ever did.

Somebody mentioned something about the cowboys that kinda made sense to me. He said there are too many players that are playing for themselves rather than the team. They went on about there being a lack of team chemistry while showing a replay of them on defense. A couple of runnings plays that showed Ware shooting for nothing except the QB which led to a nice run for the Rams. The guy said that Ware was possibly playing for personal numbers.

Ware is the ONLY guy that they have on defense right now that other teams probably think can disrupt their offensive gameplan.

He's not the problem.

I think you have a lack of real leadership on this team. It hasn't had leadership since Darren Woodson retired. I think the whole Pac Man/TO/Hard Knocks HBO training camp may have not allowed this team to truly come together as a unit.

They need a real leader as a HC and there just arent that many great head coaches available that would coach under a Jerry Jones as owner. Garrett is not the right choice.

They need to hire a coach that can bring in his own coaching staff without Jerry's influence or cronies or yesmen, and let him coach the team. Jerry can still run the draft and Free Agency, but the coach would have a say in it, unlike now.

The best thing or Jerry to do would be to fly down to Port Arthur and make things right with his former coach, Jimmy Johnson. Let him be the coach to christen the new megastadium and lead the team again into a new era. It would be an incredible PR move for Jerry and the NFL would benefit from such a unexpected storyline.

I guarantee you one thing, Jimmy would instantly release TO. No doubt. Now that the Pokes have Roy E. Williams, they should probably just go ahead and do it. He has been given chance after chance to show he isn't all about himself, and it always comes back to himself and his touches. He served his purpose but he needs to go. Go get someone else to help the defense with the money you save on his contract.

I think you have a lack of real leadership on this team. It hasn't had leadership since Darren Woodson retired. I think the whole Pac Man/TO/Hard Knocks HBO training camp may have not allowed this team to truly come together as a unit.

They need a real leader as a HC and there just arent that many great head coaches available that would coach under a Jerry Jones as owner. Garrett is not the right choice.

They need to hire a coach that can bring in his own coaching staff without Jerry's influence or cronies or yesmen, and let him coach the team. Jerry can still run the draft and Free Agency, but the coach would have a say in it, unlike now.

The best thing or Jerry to do would be to fly down to Port Arthur and make things right with his former coach, Jimmy Johnson. Let him be the coach to christen the new megastadium and lead the team again into a new era. It would be an incredible PR move for Jerry and the NFL would benefit from such a unexpected storyline.

I guarantee you one thing, Jimmy would instantly release TO. No doubt. Now that the Pokes have Roy E. Williams, they should probably just go ahead and do it. He has been given chance after chance to show he isn't all about himself, and it always comes back to himself and his touches. He served his purpose but he needs to go. Go get someone else to help the defense with the money you save on his contract.

On Fox yesterday Bradshaw straight out pointed to Jimmy and said he should be the man and Jimmy said no way. I think Jimmy is happy commenting on games and sipping Heinekins afterward. Jerry woul dhave to pay him an incredible amount and I bet it would be over only 3 years or so.

You are right on leadership. As much as I can't stand how Romo sulks this year, he isn't a guy that likes the limelight. He always was more the quiet one. I've never seen Barber step up and say anything or Witten and they probably would have the most respect. The defense is a joke and very overrated talent wise. That or they have the talent and no heart. No heart is a common theme for these guys. I'll never get, 15 years later, how Jerry can't figure that Jimmy made the team, not him. Step back and hire someone with some power. He started to step back with Parcells and then went right back to his old ways.

The bottom line is Jerry simply won't quit meddling...it's not in his DNA.

Jimmy's legacy is secure in Dallas so he has no reason to come back. He has plenty of money and seems very happy in his job with Fox. I think he'd have to be brain dead to want to work for Jerry again.

On Fox yesterday Bradshaw straight out pointed to Jimmy and said he should be the man and Jimmy said no way. I think Jimmy is happy commenting on games and sipping Heinekins afterward. Jerry woul dhave to pay him an incredible amount and I bet it would be over only 3 years or so.

You are right on leadership. As much as I can't stand how Romo sulks this year, he isn't a guy that likes the limelight. He always was more the quiet one. I've never seen Barber step up and say anything or Witten and they probably would have the most respect. The defense is a joke and very overrated talent wise. That or they have the talent and no heart. No heart is a common theme for these guys. I'll never get, 15 years later, how Jerry can't figure that Jimmy made the team, not him. Step back and hire someone with some power. He started to step back with Parcells and then went right back to his old ways.

I saw Troy once after a really bad series on offense go down the line of O lineman sitting on the bench and get right in their face cussing and chewing their butts out. You'll never see Romo do that.

And that's the problem. They are all in their little bubbles and except for T.O. nobody is saying to the other wake up, get your head in the game, we're getting killed out there.

And that is why they are where they are. Paper tigers.

If those clowns need a leader all they need to do is look at Witten.

I respect him more than any other player in the league. He gets his job done on every single play. Period.

Just because he isn't vocal doesn't mean they can't follow his example.

If those clowns need a leader all they need to do is look at Witten.

I respect him more than any other player in the league. He gets his job done on every single play. Period.

Just because he isn't vocal doesn't mean they can't follow his example.

I feel the same way. I'd throw Barber in there too. But most don't care. Just to make myself feel better I found this to allow me to make fun of my own team

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/the_10_spot

The Cowboys capped a tumultuous week by getting waxed 34-14 yesterday by the Rams in St. Louis. You can bet there was plenty of grumbling afterward in the Dallas locker room.

Fortunately, the 10 Spot has spies everywhere. Here’s some of what they overheard:

10. "We just don’t have enough Roy Williamses"

9. "Don’t worry, the Rams have dominated the NFC East"

8. "I'm about to 'touch' T.O. right in the chops"

7. "My bad, I honestly thought Wade Phillips was canned months ago"

6. "Our D got carved up more often than our owner’s face"

5. "Let’s deflect attention from our loss with a casual H-i-t-l-e-r reference"

4. "Pacman got out just in time "

3. "But I had my popcorn all ready!"

2. "God just demanded we close the hole in the roof"

1. "So wait, can we still go to Cabo?"

Back