Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Retro Uniforms Coming Back.....

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Read an article on CBS Sports that NFL GM's may vote to approve the return of "full" retro uniforms, including helmets, for the 2021 NFL season. This would be outstanding and I'm sure NFL GM's are already licking their chops on the additional revenue throwback uniforms will bring to their teams.

I still want the Texans to find a way to incorporate a throwback uniform if it becomes available.

Retro to when?
Man... 2002 was a long time ago

1.jpg

If the Texans were hip, they could do something cool like this:

TexansRetro.jpg

But, since the Texans have no history to celebrate, much less use as a 'throwback', and since the owners/management were never hip nor cool, their marketing department issued a press release that this whole concept is not Texans worthy.

If the Texans were hip, they could do something cool like this:

View attachment 5842

But, since the Texans have no history to celebrate, much less use as a 'throwback', and since the owners/management were never hip nor cool, their marketing department issued a press release that this whole concept is not Texans worthy.

That would be a really cool look, only I would ditch the helmet stripes and make the logo the same size as the current one. I truly feel the fans of Houston would support this throwback uniform while enjoying the t-shirts I would be selling out the stadium.

Beautiful Columbia Blue t-shirt with a proud duck you finger and the Adams name below it. The finger would be adorned with a Texans Division Championship ring.....do they even give a ring for division champs.......or is that like a participation ring?

I truly feel the fans of Houston would support this throwback uniform while enjoying the t-shirts I would be selling out the stadium.

Unfortunately I was never an Oilers fan. Mainly because I wasn't into football at that time.

But as someone who didn't know anything about football I was happy that the new team wasn't going to be the Oilers. Kinda like I'd think Cleveland fans probably wish they ditched the Browns name... well, I would if I were a "new" Browns fan (that doesn't even sound right).

As great as nostalgia is, the Oilers weren't winners. 18 years later neither are the Texans so it's a moot point.

There's a fairly large percentage of Texans fans who grew up as Oilers fans. Both franchises have let the fans of Houston football down. But, the Oilers still hold a special place in my fandom especially when discussing the great players who wore the Columbia Blue uniforms. The color scheme tribute is for the fans and the players who loved the City of Houston during that time frame. This is why I think the majority of fans would respond positively to the concept. By the way, I too felt the name change was warranted when the McNair's brought NFL football back to Houston.....but the color combination was cool.

There's a fairly large percentage of Texans fans who grew up as Oilers fans. Both franchises have let the fans of Houston football down. But, the Oilers still hold a special place in my fandom especially when discussing the great players who wore the Columbia Blue uniforms. The color scheme tribute is for the fans and the players who loved the City of Houston during that time frame. This is why I think the majority of fans would respond positively to the concept. By the way, I too felt the name change was warranted when the McNair's brought NFL football back to Houston.....but the color combination was cool.

I believe the Adams family owns the rights to the columbia blue/red/white scheme as well as the name Oilers

Don’t need to see the Texans donning the Columbia Blue. They are not that team and it’s been nearly a quarter century since that team was here.

The Ravens don’t wear Colts colors for their fans. They just win a couple of Lombardi's.

The Oilers made themselves the enemy, let that be.

Don’t need to see the Texans donning the Columbia Blue. They are not that team and it’s been nearly a quarter century since that team was here.

The Ravens don’t wear Colts colors for their fans. They just win a couple of Lombardi's.

The Oilers made themselves the enemy, let that be.

The Adams Family put themselves above the Oilers and the fans of Houston. Would have no need for the oil derick but the colors were cool.

When I think of the Oilers icons.....I don't think Tennessee, I think Luv Ya Blue Houston.....my guess, those Oilers icons don't identify with Tennessee either.

The Adams Family put themselves above the Oilers and the fans of Houston. Would have no need for the oil derick but the colors were cool.

I don't disagree about the colors being cool, but they belong to another franchise.

When I think of the Oilers icons.....I don't think Tennessee, I think Luv Ya Blue Houston.....my guess, those Oilers icons don't identify with Tennessee either.

Of course, but that's basically because of the name change. When you think of Rams icons you think of Youngblood, Dickerson and also Kurt Warner and Isaac Bruce, because they were still called the Rams.

Earl Campbell has said in the past he wanted nothing to do with the Titans because he never played there. It kinda sucks for guys like him, Brazile, White Shoes, etc, because the people in Nashville likely have no clue who most of them are and certainly likely never seen them play, and then the Texans have never really reached out to embrace that Houston football past. They're kinda in no man's land.

I'd much rather see the Texans bring some of those guys in and let the fans cheer them on again, pre-game or halftime or something, than have the Texans wearing the colors.

Earl Campbell has said in the past he wanted nothing to do with the Titans because he never played there.

Things change. . .

Oilers Great Earl Campbell Pays Visit to Tennessee – and Delivers a Message to the Titans

"By all means I support the Titans, even though they are not in Houston any more. … A lot takes place in life and at some point you have to get over it. Even though the franchise moved, they are in Tennessee and they're the Tennessee Titans, it's still the organization I used to play for, and the Adams family."

The thing about the colors is the concept of celebrating HOUSTON's football history, not the franchise that used to be here.

But, I get it. Houston's history is spectacular choking football teams with absolutely no glory regardless of the franchise. There is literally nothing to celebrate here.

Don't forget to be eternally grateful just to have a football franchise in Houston.

Far as I am concerned, the Texans are currently wearing their throwback uni's. If they really want a throwback, this franchise should expedite the creation of a new uniform. That way in a few years they can fall back to these for throwbacks.

Liberty white. Steel Blue. Battle Red.
These are the Texans colors. No room for Columbia anything in Houston.

If it's not creamsicle they're just wasting everyone's time.

I became a fan as a kid because of those uniforms but I knew they wouldn’t go back to those full time. They would never go away from the whole pewter pirates thing. They won the SB with that look and it does have a more pirate vibe. I didn’t like it when they first changed in 97 but the first thing I did was go buy a shirt with the new logo when it first came out. I still have that shirt btw :).

I’m good with this. I’m just glad that they got rid of those two tone clown outfits with the alarm clock numbers.

BTW, I just saw the leaked new Falcons uniforms. They now have the ugliest uniforms in the division now.

Bucs just released a picture of their revised helmet (which wasn't ready yet when they released the new uniforms last week). They made the logo smaller, darkened the red and went back to a black face mask. The old one is on the right.

buchelmet.jpgbuchelme2.jpg

Are we getting anything new? Seems like the Charges just came out with a new color scheme as well.

Patriots new uniforms look blah. Absolutely nothing special and not worth the drama.

Chargers on the other hand, nailed their new look!!! Awesome combos and definitely worth the drama.

I like the red jersey with the blue pants

At least it's different. I don't think any team is doing a blue helmet / red jersey thing. I'm a marketer and into creating logos/brand identities. Maybe that's why I am into sports uniforms so much ... or it's the other way around. I've always been into sports uniforms and that's why I do what I do :).

The whole Texans brand is just blah. I was good with the name back in 2001, however mainly because it was better than the other candidates being floated out there.

The Houston Roughnecks did a really good job with the logo. It was creative and captured the region IMO. For the Texans I would have came up with a logo that includes the Texas shape which is iconic in Texas.

Gamblers did a good job with the logo but name didn't fit. I didn't care for the Texans name when it was announced but as you said the others weren't any better
What were the others? Bobcats, Stallions, Apollos? Roughnecks too, right? Yeah, I'd take Texans over those. I don't know what else they could have named them though that really would have fit. Hurricanes? Heat? Flood? Traffic? Tex-Mex?

What were the others? Bobcats, Stallions, Apollos? Roughnecks too, right? Yeah, I'd take Texans over those. I don't know what else they could have named them though that really would have fit. Hurricanes? Heat? Flood? Traffic? Tex-Mex?

Bobcats and Stallions were definitely lame. Apollos was too much like Astros to me. Roughnecks ... the problem is most people have no idea what that is and the name would have defaulted to Rednecks. It wasn't one of the candidates but I came up with Drillers. It sounded like Oilers and made sense for the oil industry. They could have used an oil derrick logo with that also. I also wanted them to draft Julius Peppers with the first pick and not David Carr, but what do I know?

At least it's different. I don't think any team is doing a blue helmet / red jersey thing. I'm a marketer and into creating logos/brand identities. Maybe that's why I am into sports uniforms so much ... or it's the other way around. I've always been into sports uniforms and that's why I do what I do :).

The whole Texans brand is just blah. I was good with the name back in 2001, however mainly because it was better than the other candidates being floated out there.

The Houston Roughnecks did a really good job with the logo. It was creative and captured the region IMO. For the Texans I would have came up with a logo that includes the Texas shape which is iconic in Texas.

They were all the results of meticulous marketing surveys conducted by J.D. Powers & Associates. They looked at branding the way any given corporation looks at it: through a lens of what will appeal to the most folks with the least amount of potential controversy.

This is why the colors, name, and logo, feel like the results of corporate branding run through the machine of market surveys.

It is the McDonalds logo equivalent of an NFL brand. McFootball (McNair + football. . . hmmmm. . . :hmmm: )

Bobcats and Stallions were definitely lame. Apollos was too much like Astros to me. Roughnecks ... the problem is most people have no idea what that is and the name would have defaulted to Rednecks. It wasn't one of the candidates but I came up with Drillers. It sounded like Oilers and made sense for the oil industry. They could have used an oil derrick logo with that also. I also wanted them to draft Julius Peppers with the first pick and not David Carr, but what do I know?

I thought the Texas Toros had a nice ring to it and would bring together various aspects of Texan culture, even with the logo. Cattle industry, traditional Hispanic influence of the state, Texas colors, lone star.

But, I get it, the 'address name' was much more marketable, and that's all that really matters at the end of the day. And that sort of bland vibe really represents the franchise since 2002, as well, so it all worked out in the end.

I might’ve been easily convinced that an appropriate name could’ve been:

Texas Tornadoes

Warm the fans up before every game with Texas Tornadoes tunes. Full on Twister logo. Team mascot named “Twister”. It would definitely be a party atmosphere....would need more of that after 16 seasons.

Back