Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Raiders Game thread

I just wanted to take a moment and thank all the Texan fans out there giving the play by play update to the rest of us out here.

I'm in Dallas this weekend and could not see or hear the game but I can allways count on the other fans out there to help us out.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

...Oh and GO TEXANS!! :texflag:

First Team Offense looked Great
First Team Deffense not so Great

Morency showed some good improvement from game one, more north and south running.

Ragone looked more comfortable (looks like he continued from the last drive in game one)

Third unit DL of 75 Johnson, 97 Davis, and 66 Malone were more active than the second unit of 94 Ioane, 92 Sears, and Johnson. Which helped the LB's make plays.

Looks like DRob had the Raiders respect, I don't remeber a ball thrown his way all night.

Paragon Blue said:
They were interviewing Marcus Coleman during the game and he said that they were using vanilla defense. He also acknowledged that they were not rushing the passer. he said they have alot of blitz packages that they were not using,

If the Raiders could get pressure with a vanilla defense, why couldn't we?

Marcus said:
But that halftime score told more about the first team defense, and that will be the focus this week, not the win.

True. The Raiders OLine did a good job protecting Collins, and it makes me worry about how our defense will do against other big & strong OLines like KC or Pittsburgh. Obviously we'll see more exotic blitz packages when the games start to count, but still cause for concern.

Dime said:
Poor performace:
Faggins

I think Lewis Sanders had a worse game than Faggins. Sure Faggins got beat badly on that 70 yd TD, but he was pretty solid the rest of the game. Sanders looked to miss his coverage when the Texans were in a zone coverage, and then he gave too much cushion to a 2nd string WR and still let him get by him after the catch.

texasguy346 said:
True. The Raiders OLine did a good job protecting Collins, and it makes me worry about how our defense will do against other big & strong OLines like KC or Pittsburgh. Obviously we'll see more exotic blitz packages when the games start to count, but still cause for concern.

You see, that's what aggravates me. The other team can put pressure on our QBs without having to blitz, but the only way we can pressure is to blitz. So much for a Cover 2?

Food for thought for all those who are predicting 10-6. :hmmm:

V Man said:
Looks like DRob had the Raiders respect, I don't remeber a ball thrown his way all night.

DRob did a great job in coverage tonight. He blanketed Moss on a few plays, and PBuch did a very good job as well. Imagine how they would've looked with some more pressure on the QB.

texasguy346 said:
DRob did a great job in coverage tonight. He blanketed Moss on a few plays, and PBuch did a very good job as well. Imagine how they would've looked with some more pressure on the QB.

Amen to that. Also on a side note not taking anything away from C. Brown but the first unit was without Earl.

yah, i gotta thanks ya'll too. I live in canada and don't got satellite so i cant see or listen to any of the games.. unless there is a site on the internet i dont know about?? but anyways thanks for keepin us updated

The Raiders did blitz on occasion. They actually called a CB blitz on consecutive plays (the Sloan Thomas slant catch) even though one was knocked out due to a penalty. It might just be me, but it looked as though the Texans defense didn't even blitz as much as they did against the Broncos. I'm not sure if that was because they wanted to concentrate more on coverage in this game or if they were more concerned with the Raiders beating them deep if they did blitz.

What about CC Brown?
this guy has a set of wheels on him. This is the second game that I saw where he came from ALL the way across the field and was just out of position to make a TD saving tackle. Got there, but couldn't finish the tackle. But the guy has heart, doesn't quite, and SPEED.

This guy definitely needs to be on the final 53 game roster, IMHO.

CC is on track to replace Ramon Walker on the roster this year.

He was way too shallow on the 70 yd Gabriel td but he will learn.

This might have been mentioned earlier, but since I was at the game that's a lot of posts to go through...was anyone else amazed at how fast Gallery was getting to Coleman for the tackle? I know he had an angle and everything, but for a guy that size, I couldn't believe it when he was the one to drag him down. (Think it was him anyway)

That was in our end so I had a pretty good look at that. I told the people in the seats behind me that I was more impressed with that than the interception itself. I was very impressed with his speed on that play and glad that Coleman didn't get hurt when he landed on him.

I'm wondering, why not use www.nfl.com 's "scores - game stats" ?
That's what I've been using to get that play by play info. Or am I missing out on something even better? :)

Some people like to watch the game on tv and at the same time make real-time commentary on the message board as the plays unfold.

The gamebooks - supplemented by game video - are great to look at later.

swisher said:
Morency has looked decent.
Decent??? He looked pretty darn good. He showed his big play ability with his first 3 carries. I really want to see him play with the first team offense this upcoming game. It will give us a better look at him.

Fiddy said:
Decent??? He looked pretty darn good. He showed his big play ability with his first 3 carries. I really want to see him play with the first team offense this upcoming game. It will give us a better look at him.

fiddy we all know u dont like Davis, so of course you wanna see him w/ the first team offense.

rmartin65 said:
how did all the rookies do? apperantly, brown and morency did well, but how about the others?

Hogdon didn't play because he was out due to turf toe I think. TJ was pretty quiet for the most part. Nothing really stood out. Mathis looked pretty good, and he did a pretty good job blocking on a couple of plays. Pettway looked good on special teams.

TexansTrueFan said:
fiddy we all know u dont like Davis, so of course you wanna see him w/ the first team offense.
Ok, whatever. All I know is that Morency is killing 2nd and 3rd teamers. To see what he can do in a reg. season game, he needs to go up against 1st teamers.

yeah i'm sure he will get his chance, i mean how often is Davis Helthy for a full season, and i think Morency will fill in nicely, but that big contract we just gave Davis is a sign that they plan on him beign the starter for years to come !!!!!

TexansTrueFan said:
yeah i'm sure he will get his chance, i mean how often is Davis Helthy for a full season, and i think Morency will fill in nicely, but that big contract we just gave Davis is a sign that they plan on him beign the starter for years to come !!!!!
It really wasnt that big of a contract. Lamont Jordan will get more per year than Davis...

And Casserly said last night on Texans inside the game that it wasnt Faggins' fault for the long TD. He was playing underneath coverage and CC Brown was suppose to have deep. Brown didnt get deep, that's why the pass was open.

texasguy346 said:

For the most part the Raiders the first 2 preseason games haven't even looked Moss' way. Giving Gabriel & the other receivers a ton of work.

On the nice pick by Coleman, Robinson was juked on a nice stutter step by Moss. Coleman cheated Randy's way & covered for a beaten Robinson.

BC7 said:
Robinson knew what he was doing on that play. Robinson was giving him the middle of the field knowing that Coleman had that area of the field. Robinson wasn't beaten.

It wasn't a trail technique. He was beaten just like on Gabriel's touchdown.

It was a double but you still don't release him to the safety that fast.

On Gabriel's TD he was exposed that's why the safety got caught out of position.

Back