Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ragone Watch (NFL Europe)

Rosusu said:
I tried to get the Game Stats to come up off of that page and it would never load. Anyone else have this problem?

Good to hear that Ragone is doing good and Akili is doing bad, Symons may get his shot.

Nope, its rockin' for me.

Ragone update:

16/23 179 yards 1 touchdown.
Berlin leads 30-7 with 5:00 left in the 4th quarter.

Im seeing dollar signs :).. I can see the trade Ragone get a first rounder in 2006 threads hehe.

1st rounder.. not likely.. maybe a 2nd if he really does good.

I just finished watching the game. (boy, is this ever a league made for TiVo...thank goodness for fast forward!!) I was impressed with much of Ragone's overall game. He was unquestionably the best of the 4 QBs who saw action. (Side note: that QB Eakin from the Jets is atrocious. WOW. Akili can sleep soundly at night if THAT's the threat to his starting job!)

Rags' first throw will get all the attention, and it was very nice. He looks slow moving out of the pocket, laser-locks onto many of his receivers, but has great knowledge of where the defenders are when he's scrambling. Tough, too. Threw behind a receiver on a very easy dump pass, but the guy still caught it. He seemed to understand his offense MUCH better than any of the other QBs, although I think the light was flickering back on for Akili late in the 4th. (Unfortunately for him, Frankfurt is a seriously bad football team. Bad WRs, little O-line, absolutely nothing doing in the backfield.)

He finished with a 107 rating. Nice day. Considering the weak opposition, I think he gets a B+.

Another totally unrelated comment: I realize this is minor league football (I was, after all, a season ticketholder for one of the American teams before the WLAF became NFLE), but is it too much to ask that the NFL get a coverage crew over there that can work cameras, do graphics, and direct broadcasts? That looked like "Wayne's World" over there! It's Berlin, for crying out loud, not Somalia. SOMEBODY over there has televised sports before!

Interesting motivational quote for Ragone here from an NFL.com article:

Many of the scouts thought Berlin's Dave Ragone (Houston) the league's best, though his scrimmages also were uneven. He's a big, strong gamer whose passes sometimes go awry...according to Texans director of pro scouting Chuck Banker: "He hasn't played quality minutes in a long time, and needs the reps," Banker said. "A good performance would solidify him as our No. 2."

Full article

Looks like Ragone dominated. 16 for 23 with 179 yards and a TD with no INT's. Akili Smith was 6 for 11 for 68 yards.

Berlin Thunder
PASSING ATT CMP YDS SK/YD TD LG IN RT
D.Ragone 23 16 179 1/9 1 48 0 107.0
C.Finlen 7 4 36 0/0 0 25 1 31.5

Total 30 20 215 1/9 1 48 1 84.7

Frankfurt Galaxy
A.Smith 11 6 68 0/0 1 34 1 65.7
K.Eakin 10 2 24 0/0 0 16 0 39.6

Total 21 8 92 0/0 1 34 1 48.1

http://www.nfleurope.com/scores/stats/2005/04022005_fra_ber_stats

The Berlin Thunder opened the defense of their World Bowl title with a 30-7 victory over the Frankfurt Galaxy, the team that they defeated in Düsseldorf in 2004 to take the championship.

Rick Lantz’s team had a familiar look to it, mixing a tough ground game and opportunistic passing game on offense, and showing good toughness on defense, holding the Galaxy to just 120 yards of total offense and winning the time of possession battle by 45 minutes to 15 for Frankfurt.

Berlin starting quarterback Dave Ragone outduelled former third overall draft pick, Akili Smith, throwing for 179 yards and a score from 16 completions, compared to Smith’s 6 of 11 for 68 yard effort. Berlin’s running backs combined for over 200 yards, with Little John Flowers scoring two touchdowns.

Frankfurt only avoided being shut out when they scored a touchdown with ten minutes remaining in the game.

The Galaxy won the toss and opened the new season with the ball, but soon had to punt. Starting from their own 29-yard line, Frankfurt earned a first a first down when Akili Smith hit tight end Mark Anelli, but started heading in the wrong direction two plays later when an attempted reverse from running back Ahmaad Galloway to receiver Sam Simmons was fumbled and recovered for a 9-yard loss by Smith.

Berlin’s first offensive play harkened back to their World Bowl XII winning gameplan, as Dave Ragone looked deep and hit Michael Jennings for a 48-yard gain to the Frankfurt 37-yard line. Starting running back Cal Murray’s two carries for 10 yards helped the Thunder pick up another first down, before Ragone looked to Jennings again in the endzone. The pass was fractionally long, and although the receiver managed to make the catch, it was out of bounds. A crucial sack by Derrick Crawford on third down meant that Berlin was forced to attempt a 46-yard field goal, which Kevin Miller converted to open the scoring.

The Thunder got back on the scoreboard on their next possession after holding Frankfurt to three and out. Ragone’s 14-yard run on third down took the ball to the Galaxy’s 15-yard line, and a 12-yard toss to tight end Ben Moa on the next play set them up at the Frankfurt 3 as the first quarter came to a close. It was 10-0 on the first play of the second quarter, when Little John Flowers’ 3-yard touchdown run rounded out the 11-play, 54-yard drive.

Kevin Eakin came in at quarterback for Frankfurt to open the second quarter, but his presence was unable to spark the Galaxy offense to life, as the Thunder once again held them to just three plays before Mike Barr was called in to punt the ball away.

Berlin made a switch of their own at quarterback, with Chris Finlen replacing the successful Ragone, and the New Orleans Saints allocated passer made an immediate impact with his arm and legs, scrambling for an 8-yard gain and then converting the first down with a 4-yard pass to fullback Brian Johnson. Four plays later Johnson made what looked like a crucial play, taking the snap when the team was lined up to punt and running 34 yards through the Galaxy special teams and forcing punt returner Sam Simmons to make the tackle at the 23-yard line. However, Finlen’s screen pass was picked off by defensive end Seante Williams, ending a promising Berlin drive.

The Thunder defense had a chance to make immediate amends, with a tipped pass falling agonizingly short of the diving Jermaine Mays, but they once again forced the Galaxy to bring Barr onto the field to punt with five minutes remaining in the quarter. With Ragone back behind center the Thunder continued to move the ball well, the passer once again showing his poise under pressure as he threw a 19-yard dart to Aaron Boone over the middle of the field on third-and-18. Another big play by fullback Johnson got the Thunder inside field goal range when he turned a short pass by Ragone into a 23-yard gain as the two-minute warning was sounded at the end of the half. Michael Jennings’ 11-yard and 5-yard catches sandwiched a 7-yard run by Flowers, taking the ball to the Frankfurt 10-yard line. From there Ragone went to Jennings in the endzone again and this time the New York Giants allocated receiver came down in bounds with the ball, handing Berlin a 17-0 half-time advantage.
http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8349927

Carr Bomb said:
Oh I can already see the trade Carr, start Ragone threads. :wacko:
...just what we need, another Carr thread--better,yet, we need another
Sharper thread---knock about beat'n a dead horse!!! eek:

i'm glad to hear about ragone's success...but i'm not for trading him just yet...with banks only being here for two years i like to think we could keep ragone for awhile has is back-up but if someone is willing to throw a second or a first round pick our way for him why not...he's a great kid and deserves the best chance to start for a team...right now i think arizona, miami, san fran, and denver should really look at him...cause warner is past his prime, miami has nobody, either does san fran, and plummer is very questionable at times...i guess new orleans should be thrown in there as well with brooks backwards pass last season...haha....ragone is a solid qb once he gets quality reps in

If someone offers a second or better for him.. I think we should take it.

We can get more talent to play depth behind Carr.. and we can always pick somebody else up to fill in.

Just keep drafting young QBs with potential.. keep molding them into NFL quality players.. and keep selling em for a profit :). Its a good, cheap way to get extra draft picks... and provide depth at QB.

Besides.. I think if a good offer is made... we would be jerks to hold onto him and make him sit on the bench when we could have made a profit and given him a chance to start somewhere else (long as it isnt a division rival anyway)

Having a solid back up QB is important. I don't think Ragone is going anywhere for the time being. The back up is one play away and if we want to think we are a playoff team we can't just have rookies stepping in to lead this team if DC gets injured. Banks is not going to be here too much longer.

Texans Pride said:
What channel was the game on? I couldn't find it anywhere

If you have DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, the games are on live, either on ch. 212 or somewhere in the low 700s. Otherwise, on a lot of cable systems they're rebroadcast on NFL Network periodically all week long, and other games are carried on network TV.

For a full guide to NFLE broadcast times/channels: Click here!

I watched it today and Rags looked pretty solid. First game of the season and all, but still looked pretty good. On his first play, it was a 48 yard completion. I really have to give most of the credit to the reciever on it for making a great play on the ball as it wasn't totally on target. Most of his passes were on target and had good zip. He moved well and had one good run for over 10 yards. What kept running through my mind was, that he was getting pretty good protection and how I wished David would get the same.

Another thing that came to mind when I was watching Ragone play.....DANG, he is not very good looking, especially compared to Carr. The girls won't be lining up near as much for him.

well on another note of the game with the galaxy QB's being so inaffective maybe BJ will get his shot next week...personally i'd think akili smith has been the biggest bust in the past 10 years...and for some reason people still keep giving him shots at coming back...i'd rather them give Symons a chance to get some reps since you know he won't get than many chances here in houston

keyfro said:
well on another note of the game with the galaxy QB's being so inaffective maybe BJ will get his shot next week...personally i'd think akili smith has been the biggest bust in the past 10 years...and for some reason people still keep giving him shots at coming back...i'd rather them give Symons a chance to get some reps since you know he won't get than many chances here in houston

The Galaxy QBs didn't look very good at all, but to give Akklie a little due, his recievers had hands of stone. Seemed like they droped 2 out of 3 passes that were tossed. The back up to Rags didn't look very good either.

When I saw the opening stats for Akili Smith I was amazed to read that he had 5 TD's in 22 games. I believe that Akili was picked, because the "running" QB was the in thing and GMs were really looking at fools gold. Akili Smith would have been a RB fifteen years ago. I also was impressed with Ragone's performance.

TexanExile said:
If you have DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, the games are on live, either on ch. 212 or somewhere in the low 700s. Otherwise, on a lot of cable systems they're rebroadcast on NFL Network periodically all week long, and other games are carried on network TV.

For a full guide to NFLE broadcast times/channels: Click here!

:woot How many think T Banks gets cut this year and Ragone & BJ both make the team? :hmmm:

I have never been a Banks fan but must admit that he has been adaquate when called on the few games he played in. The Texans gave him a two year contract and $800,000. SB. So cutting him may not be in the cards this year.

TexasAggie said:
:woot How many think T Banks gets cut this year and Ragone & BJ both make the team? :hmmm:

I have never been a Banks fan but must admit that he has been adaquate when called on the few games he played in. The Texans gave him a two year contract and $800,000. SB. So cutting him may not be in the cards this year.
Not very likely, but I would like to see it...I have never really cared for Banks, and I'd hate to lose either Ragone or Symons unless we got a good trade for them. Symons could still be put on the practice squad this year, but I don't think he would make it. I think another team would pick him up, and we would lose him and get nothing in return.

The thought of getting rid of Banks this year scares me. I can't forget 2 years ago when Banks went down and Ragone started and we were shut out in Jacksonville and only got a field goal in Tampa Bay. Ragone may have developed some since then, but those starts were truly horrific!

That game was also Andre Johnson in his first year.. and he had Tony Hollings for an RB.

if Ragone started today.. it would probably look alot better than it did then. Actually Ragone didnt look half bad that game.. but some great deep passes got dropped by both Bradford and Johnson.. and Hollings was not able to take any of the pressure off him.

Grid said:
That game was also Andre Johnson in his first year.. and he had Tony Hollings for an RB.

if Ragone started today.. it would probably look alot better than it did then. Actually Ragone didnt look half bad that game.. but some great deep passes got dropped by both Bradford and Johnson.. and Hollings was not able to take any of the pressure off him.

i agree nobody made that game very easy on ragone.

here is ragone's stats for this weeks game against the sea devils

D.Ragone 28 17 168 3/21 1 30 1 74.7

pretty solid numbers...don't like to see him getting sacked 3 times a game though

D.Ragone 27 15 186 1/7 2 26 1 86.3
C.Finlen 4 2 2 1/9 0 6 0 56.2

Total 31 17 188 2/16 2 26 1 81.1

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
C.Murray 14 78 5.6 27 0
L.Flowers 10 62 6.2 21 0
D.Ragone 4 28 7.0 14 1
C.Finlen 1 3 3.0 3 0

Total 29 171 5.9 27 1
Two completions by Ragone got the Thunder to Amsterdam 5, and the Houston allocated passer then made a tremendous play to find a leaping Boone in the back of the endzone to give the Thunder a 25-24 lead. Trying their second two-point conversion, Berlin found the recipe for success, sending Ragone on a bootleg to the right and he strolled in to make it 27-24 with 2:51 remaining.

Starting from their 22, the Admirals began cautiously, completing a pair of passes over the middle to the 39. Next, however, Hamdan looked deep, drawing a pass interference penalty against Flemming that set the Admirals up at the 16-yard line. On the next play Amsterdam retook the lead when Hamdan found Ruvell Martin in the back of the endzone for a score. The extra point gave the Admirals a four point advantage at 31-27 with 1:45 left in the contest.

On the very first play of the Thunder possession the Admirals sealed the victory. Looking right for Boone, Ragone was picked off by Admirals cornerback B.J. Tucker, finally putting an end to the Thunder challenge and finishing their magical seven-game winning streak.
img8391728.jpg

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8391731

Hello to you all,
Being an Admirals fan I was at the game vs Berlin last night and I must confess Ragone played good. But he seemed to be out of breath once in a while.
But your own kicker Kris Snyder did well too, for the Admirals that is! And when Ragone threw an interception at the end of the game the Admiral fans were too happy and so was I. I have 2 Texans fans in my family and they wear their Texans jersey's every game

Greetings from the other side of the ocean

ps. are you able to see some NFLE games?

I try to watch all of the games that are shown on NFL network. Speaking of which, I watched the Cologn/Frankfurt game today. Cologn has a few Texans players on their team. Brandon Evans starts at LG, Anthony Dunn starts at one of the LB positions with Moretti backing him up. I can't say that I noticed either one of the LB's do much of anything, but Brandon Evans really looked good. I don't know if it is the lack of ability on the Frankfurt defensive line, but I noticed Evans dominating his guy most of the time when he was in there. One thing that tells me it wasn't the lack of ability on the DL is that when Evans wasn't in there, his replacement was getting blown out.

What a waste....Think he'll stick around as a back up? He's looking pretty good over there.

B.J. Symons finally got to play in his first game today. Symons was 6 of 12 for 67 yards, and ran for a TD. He came in drove Frankfurt down the field with their last posession in the game, and ended the drive with a one yard TD run to give Frankfurt it's only TD of the game.

Maybe Symons will start getting more playing time after his positive showing today.

yah Akili Smith has been below average most of the time he has been out there, I really wish that they would put him on the freakin bench after this. BJ Symons is much better mentally and physically imo.

I watched the Rhein game last night on the NFL Network, I'm not sure if it was a repeat or what, but I definitely think Ragone is going to be our #2 guy, he looked pretty sharp.

Ragone's is probably going to be our #2. In another year or two he might be a low 1st round pick or a high 2nd at the rate he's going. The more I see of him over in NFLE the more I'm thinking that he's going to net us a draft pick next year or the year after.

I haven't had a chance to watch all the game from last weekend yet, but I saw the first half. I agree...Rags is exceeding my expectations. He moves well and throws on the run better than I thought he could.

From what I've seen of the NFLEL games this year, he has the best O-line in the league, which counts for something, but I'd rather him build confidence in a situation like that and come back ready to bump Tony Banks to #3. Nothing against Banks, but what is Texans Offseason 2005 without a younger veteran thwacking a veteran out of his job? :heh:

Haven't seen Symons yet. Sounds like a good start, though. One more note about Ragone: he's taken some SERIOUS shots, several of which were penalized. At least in Week 1, he demonstrated toughness and kept coming back. Haven't seen the rest of this game, so I don't know how he responded to some of those shots in the first half. At one point he was motioning to come out of the game, but that's where I had to stop watching the recording.

The game I watched last night they were talking in the second half about the shots he had taken inthe game, and he was still taking shots in the second half. I could tell a time or two he was a little shaken up, but he got right back under center and threw some really good passes, some while scrambling or on the run, and he hit the WR exactly where it needed to be thrown, I saw him thread a few needles, I am getting excited about having him here.

texan279 said:
The game I watched last night they were talking in the second half about the shots he had taken inthe game, and he was still taking shots in the second half. I could tell a time or two he was a little shaken up, but he got right back under center and threw some really good passes, some while scrambling or on the run, and he hit the WR exactly where it needed to be thrown, I saw him thread a few needles, I am getting excited about having him here.

Everyone (well not quite, but it seems that way) slams Ragone for the 2003 Jax game but IMO I was impressed by the kid. He got slammed like a hockey puck but kept coming back and trying to make things happen with his feet if nothing else was available. Kid is a gamer.

what I like about him.. he is a left handed David Carr .. with that MEANING .. we don't have to change our offense if he gets in... he can throw the deep ball.

TexanExile said:
....From what I've seen of the NFLEL games this year, he has the best O-line in the league, which counts for something, but I'd rather him build confidence in a situation like that and come back ready to bump Tony Banks to #3....
I have watched as much NFLEL as possible, and Ragone doesn't have the best O-LIne. From what I have seen so far, Cologn looks to have the best O-Line.

F-minus67 said:
does anyone have any pics of Ragone in action?
there is one pix of ragone on the nfle site. but maybe you should try the berlin thunder site.
the admirals play the next game vs berlin saturday. unfortunately I'm not able to go to Berlin, but i can see the game sunday afternoon on tv.berlin.

European vacation
By Nick Schenck
HoustonTexans.com

For the last three years of his college career, Dave Ragone was one of the nation’s most prolific quarterbacks at Louisville , completing 664 of 1,133 passes (58.6 percent), with 73 touchdowns and only 28 interceptions in 41 games as a starter.

The past two years have been a different story.

The Texans’ third-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft has been faced with a predicament so many young signal-callers experience. With an entrenched starter and a quality veteran backup in front of him, Ragone has bided his time as a third-stringer, receiving few practice reps with the starters and seeing most of his time on the scout team. Other than two starts his rookie year, when David Carr and Tony Banks were injured, Ragone has been holding the clipboard on game day.

As hard as he worked on the practice field, Ragone yearned for some live game reps. His opportunity arrived near the end of last season when the Texans allocated him to NFL Europe. After consulting with offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and quarterbacks coach Greg Roman, Ragone decided it was a good opportunity to further his career.

“Especially at the quarterback position, the only way you really get better is by going out there and playing,” said Ragone, the starting quarterback for the Berlin Thunder. “Coach Palmer and coach Roman and I sat down and talked about it. We all agreed it was probably the best thing for me. When I told them that I would do it, I agreed to go and give it 100 percent.”

Although he was excited to get back behind center, Ragone felt a certain amount of trepidation as well. When you don’t see the field for so long, a certain amount of doubt can creep in.

“It’s tough when you don’t get a chance to play because you don’t know if you’re progressing,” Ragone said. “You just don’t know how your game is going to be because it’s been two years since the last time you got hit. It’s one of those things where you try to work on fundamentals, you try to work on the mental part of the game when you’re not playing so when you get a chance to play you can use it to your benefit.”

It turns out that playing quarterback is like riding a bike, at least for Ragone. He began the season against the Frankfurt Galaxy in a duel with quarterback Akili Smith, the Cincinnati Bengals’ third overall pick in the 1999 NFL Draft. Ragone passed for 179 yards, completing 69.5 percent of his throws with one touchdown and no interceptions in a resounding 30-7 win. He followed that performance against the Hamburg Sea Devils, passing for 168 yards with one touchdown and his first interception in a 15-13 win.

Ragone, who says the talent level in NFL Europe is better than Division I college football, currently leads the league in touchdown passes (6) and is second in the league in completion percentage (61.9) and passer rating (91.8). His two interceptions are tied for the lowest with three other starters. Additionally, the Thunder, who are tied with two other teams atop the standings with a 3-1 record, have the league’s second-best scoring offense, averaging 25.5 points per game.

“It’s awesome,” Ragone said of his experience so far. “It’s a chance to go out there and play. On game days you actually get a chance to do what you do. It’s a whole new feeling. It’s like being in college again where you’re the guy and I’m just grateful for the opportunity to come and play.”

His numbers are proof of his production, but what’s not evident on paper is the confidence Ragone has gained. There’s a tendency for players that have long layoffs to over-analyze situations. Ragone, however, is playing on instinct.

“I think my overall confidence grows with each one of my throws,” he said. “I feel more comfortable making different throws on the field and getting my feet set. Even if my feet aren’t set, I’m moving around the pocket and trying to make a throw while keeping my eye down the field.”

Oddly, one of the things Ragone missed most about not playing was what other players often dread. After two seasons of wearing the red jersey in practice, Ragone looked forward to some contact in NFL Europe.

“You don’t really know how that’s going to be until you play because in practice they blow the whistle when anyone gets close to the quarterback,” he said. “The coaches kind of take that away from you. When you’re out in a game, there’s no one there to protect you.”

It may seem difficult to learn a new offense with new teammates and be successful, but Ragone has made an easy transition with the Thunder, partly because of his background with the Texans. In fact, many of the play-action sets and running plays are the same between the two teams.

The biggest difference, said Ragone, has been increasing his pace in the huddle. In the NFL, the play clock is 45 seconds. In NFL Europe, it’s only 35 seconds.

“We do a good job in practice going up-tempo, just to get used to the fact that there’s not going to be that much time on the clock,” he said. “I think I’ve called time out once, and I’ve had one delay of game. Obviously, you have to speed your game up, but it does take a little time to get used to.”

Off the field, playing in NFL Europe can take its toll on players. For example, the comfort of traveling on a charter jet is replaced by waiting for trains with the general public. Delays are common, and the conditions aren’t ideal. It’s been a learning experience for Ragone, who says he has become more flexible.

“You come with an open mind, but you’re so used to your American culture,” he said. “Stores in Berlin close at 8 p.m., and on Sundays nothing is open. That’s something to get used to. You don’t have a car for a couple of months. So you’re traveling by bus and train. A lot of guys are used to having their car.”

Overall, Ragone is pleased to be playing in NFL Europe. His initial doubts have subsided and with six games remaining in the regular season, he has his team in position to make its fourth trip to the World Bowl in the past five seasons. Also, at his current pace, Ragone should be in the running for multiple postseason honors, something that he’s used to from his college-playing days.

“When you put a football team together in a few months, you don’t know what you’re getting,” Ragone said. “But I just came over here to get better, to be a leader and try to win football games. But more important, I want to come out and have fun with it.”

Interestingly, QB and OL are two of the three positions where it has proven possible for players to transition from minor leagues to the NFL successfully (the third being WR). Here's hoping Brandon Evans gets a fair shot at starting when the time comes around - how much worse than our current interior O-line could he really be?

And who knows, maybe if Carr (heaven forbid) goes down in pre-season, Ragone will prove to be the second coming of Warner. No, I guess probably not. Although with our pass-blocking he might have a shot at old Kurt's all-time single-season concussion record.

Houston Texans quarterback Dave Ragone completed 14 of 23 passes for 178 yards and toucddown, while Admirals quarterback Kurt Kittner, allocated by the Chicago Bears, hit on 21 of 40 passes for 283 yards and a touchdown but, crucially, three interceptions.

Dave Ragone had thrown a touchdown pass to tight end John Frieser for the go-ahead score earlier in the second half and the Berlin Thunder defense had done enough to keep them ahead, limiting the Admirals to field goals and grabbing key interceptions.

Dave is still playing solid :thumbup

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8432663

i think his performance in the NFLE has solidfied him as our number 2 QB...i remember casserly saying if he had a good run in europe he would be moved up in the depth chart

Rags keeps playing like this TB will be looking for a spot next year as Dave will be the #2. Looks like CC made another good pick that will payoff.

Before everyone gets too excited just remember that in terms of NFLE success, for every Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, and Brad Johnson, there's probably just as many or more Danny Wuerffel's.

Back