Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Put the pink soap away for good: Kubiak extended until 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost you at 19-10 :)

My arguments have nothing to do with being a Cowboy fan. Purely from watching all these games and having the same comments in one half or another...."why do they look flat in such a big game;" "what is the defense doing" and "the offense is out of sync."

As my old coach would say, "turnovers and sloppy play are from a lack of concentration." When you practice and prepare sloppy, you play sloppy. The Bills offense was putrid. Their point total wasn't high but they were moving it. The Texans were completely out of sync. I agree....yack :)..with JT that some wins are just going to be sloppy but they count. My standard is that you should have more that 2 games where the team shows up for one half.

Yep, the Bills were moving the ball.......... 204 net yards. Meanwhile our "out of sync" offense racked up 439 net yards.

While I agree with you that the Texans came out sluggish in the Bills game, let's not revise history to further our points.

Yep, the Bills were moving the ball.......... 204 net yards. Meanwhile our "out of sync" offense racked up 439 net yards.

While I agree with you that the Texans came out sluggish in the Bills game, let's not revise history to further our points.

Honestly, no revision. I went off of pure memory of the first half only. Not the whole game. I said the first half they were out of sync...which they were with 3 turnovers and limited points. The second half is when they inserted Moats and the offense got it in gear....again, making my point.

Honestly, no revision. I went off of pure memory of the first half only. Not the whole game. I said the first half they were out of sync...which they were with 3 turnovers and limited points. The second half is when they inserted Moats and the offense got it in gear....again, making my point.

For the record, I agreed with you about the sluggish first half.

:brickwall:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."

~Benjamin Franklin

That's actually an Albert Einstein quote. :tiphat:

einstein_tongue-widec.jpg

You're right. I looked it up to get the wording right. Wrong site I guess.

no prob, man. Einstein is one of my favorite philosophers - dude has some great quotes - so just figured that you'd want to give him his due credit. :)

Two more of my favorite Einstein quotes:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
~ Albert Einstein

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
~ Albert Einstein

no prob, man. Einstein is one of my favorite philosophers - dude has some great quotes - so just figured that you'd want to give him his due credit. :)

Absolutely.

Two more of my favorite Einstein quotes:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
~ Albert Einstein

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
~ Albert Einstein

:thumbup Awesome!! Unfortunately I resemble those remarks.

The big difference is, our division record consistently sucks (1-5, 2-4, 1-5).
Our out-of-division record is consistently good (7-3, 6-4, 8-2).
I personally don't believe our W-L record says as much as we want to believe it says about how good or bad our team is. If we watch with our eyes, we can see if our team is getting better or worse.

I knew our 2008 team was better than our 2007 team, even though we had the same 8-8 record, and a worse division record. I knew our 2009 team was better than our 2008 team, before we finished one game better for the season. I knew, because I watched them play.

I'm not trying to sweep anything under any rug the way you want everyone to believe the "sunshiners" are trying to do.

Our players made mistakes...... our coaches made mistakes.... our GM made mistakes..... Overall, I think our players are getting better, I think our coaches are getting better, & I think our GM is getting better.

If we're to believe the year-to-year "improvement," there would be a
reasonable progression against the teams and coaches we see the most.
Only if the teams we see the most are crap. I haven't done it myself, but I'm sure if you check the AFC South's record against the rest of the league, you'll see we (as a division) generally beat the rest of the league. We've been the worst team in the division for 8 years.

I'm sorry, we've been the worst team in this division for 7 years.
Such an improvement is NOT there, so it's the bone-of-contention the
"sunshiners" want to downplay, and the "soapers" focus on.

We've all acknowledged it. We all know, understand & believe it must get better.

You don't simply focus on it, you obsess over it.

I personally don't believe our W-L record says as much as we want to believe it says about how good or bad our team is. If we watch with our eyes, we can see if our team is getting better or worse.

This "standard" simply isn't good enough. Every team in our division, it can
be argued, has gotten younger and better. In order for the Texans to take
the "next step," they must improve at a rate FASTER than their divisional
foes. Once can also argue two teams we face next season, Baltimore and
the Jets, have ALSO improved.

Our rate of improvement simply hasn't been enough. One more season, dude.
I agree with one of your earlier posts, when you stated this regime should
be gone if we don't win the division next season. If this regime isn't gonna
be GREAT, why the hell should we wait 5 years with it?

Bacically I saw one game...one game...where the team looked prepared from start to finish..Cincy. Besides that the team either started quick and then got outplanned at half and the other team hung around and made it a game or they started slow and looked uninspired and unprepared and then would come out looking better in half 2. One game out of 16.

Do you think the Colts were unprepared for the Saints?

There are two teams out there every game. One team trying to stop the other from scoring points.

I don't care if it was the Texans' reputation that made the Rams play like it was their SuperBowl, or caused Miami to look past us in that first half.

But you don't lose games by 7 points or less, when you are unprepared.

This "st Every team in our division, it can
be argued, has gotten younger and better.

No it can't. The Titans were 13-3 last year and 8-8 this year. By all means present the cogent argument that they got better. The Hags went to the playoffs 2 of 3 years and have now missed it 2 years. Again, argue they got better applying the same standard you apply to the Texans. They went 5-11 to 7-9 after having been 11-5 the prior season. That's better when discussing them. The Texans go 2-14 to 6-10 and it is meaningless to you.

The Jets were basically gift wrapped a playoff spot. It is more debateable that the Pats tried harder than the Colts or the Bengals did, but in the end all 3 teams in each scenario (Colts, Bengals, Pats) played like they did not give a hoot about the games.

I honestly think the Bengals were finally overwhelmed with drama.

there were a few more injuries that they just couldn't over-come.

No it can't. The Titans were 13-3 last year and 8-8 this year. By all means present the cogent argument that they got better. The Hags went to the playoffs 2 of 3 years and have now missed it 2 years. Again, argue they got better applying the same standard you apply to the Texans. They went 5-11 to 7-9 after having been 11-5 the prior season. That's better when discussing them. The Texans go 2-14 to 6-10 and it is meaningless to you.

I'm applying the same cogent argument TK has (eyeball test) to explain
how improvement in relation to your opposition is on a sliding scale. The
NFL season doesn't happen in a vacuum. You must improve at a rate faster
than your opponents to be better than them. Hate on the Tacks all you want,
but when they changed QB's they went 8-2. By TK's standard, you can ARGUE
they got BETTER.

By MY standard, the Texans have remained STAGNANT for THREE SEASONS.
BY MY standard, this is FAILURE.

However, TK understands my standard and disagrees with it. By all means
Infantry, you're welcome to allow your emotions to ruin a perfectly civil
discussion between TK and myself.

This "standard" simply isn't good enough.

It is what it is.

My point was you don't insert a team into the NFL & expect them to beat the Colts, or the Patriots on a regular basis....

8 years later.... sure, without question. But it's not like Kubiak was here for 8 years. 4 years, you'd expect something much better than 1-5. I hear what you are saying..

I personally believe, based on what I've seen, Kubiak would have done much better than 1-5, or 9-7 even, had he started from scratch..... but that didn't happen.

I personally think he would have done much, much better if he were able to get his own QB from day one, or if he got the DC he wanted from day 1, or the OC he wanted.

But none of that happened. You deal with it, you move forward.

Hate on the Tacks all you want,
but when they changed QB's they went 8-2. By TK's standard, you can ARGUE
they got BETTER.

You don't think they got better?

Both sides of the ball was statistically better once they made the switch. You could see with your eyes they weren't the bumbl'n fumbl'n 0-6 Titans that started the season.

The Titans are without a doubt better than their 8-8 record. If that Coach wouldn't have had his head up his butt, & put Vince in the game 3 weeks earlier, they could have easily won at least 2 of those games.

Do you think the Colts were unprepared for the Saints?

There are two teams out there every game. One team trying to stop the other from scoring points.

I don't care if it was the Texans' reputation that made the Rams play like it was their SuperBowl, or caused Miami to look past us in that first half.

But you don't lose games by 7 points or less, when you are unprepared.

No, and if you read my explanation, which people tend to skip around here, you'd see that the Colts don't fall under the definition. They played well to start the game and were leading going into half. The second half wasn't great but they still competed, scored and were in the game. The point isn't to play a perfect game. It is to be prepared, compete and play a full game. This isn't a novel idea since many people here talked about it EVERY week after the games. It also doesn't mean scoring every opportunity, etc. By the way they also won 5 games by 7 points or less...it is just skipped in the conversations because it ruins the "what if" scenario that people trot out for 11 wins.

BTW, your last sentence make absolutely no sense. You can be unprepared, fall behind and make a run and lose by 7. That is just a random blanket statement.

Joe, I'm not even sure what to say about tha video...too much time.

I did a quick look over at NFL.com, and very first Dallas game I clicked on had an interesting headline pop up...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092800/2009/REG3/panthers@cowboys

Obsession was noted a long time ago. Plus I agree that the Cowboys come out unprepared alot. That or they couldn't finish games. It was their demise, despite winning records. I can admit this because I'm a realistic fan. What got them into the playoffs was a run of games where they did play complete games. No team plays 16 great games or complete games. I just happen to think batting better than 2 for 16 is in order.

I'll do like I did in another thread and back out now. Points made

Last edited:
You don't think they got better?

Both sides of the ball was statistically better once they made the switch. You could see with your eyes they weren't the bumbl'n fumbl'n 0-6 Titans that started the season.

The Titans are without a doubt better than their 8-8 record. If that Coach wouldn't have had his head up his butt, & put Vince in the game 3 weeks earlier, they could have easily won at least 2 of those games.

My point, TK, is that it ultimately doesn't matter if the Texans have gotten
better, if the improvement is not at a rate HIGHER than that of the Colts, Titans,
Ravens, Jets, Jags, Broncos and Chargers. They don't have any NFC creampuffs to
pad the record with next year. We will truly see where this team is.

If they go 1-3 against the NFC East next year, they'll have to finish 8-4
in the AFC, JUST to make it to 9-7. Remember. The season doesn't happen
in a vacuum. The Texans have to be better than A LOT of teams to justify
this "five-year program" we have on our head coaching.

However, TK understands my standard and disagrees with it. By all means
Infantry, you're welcome to allow your emotions to ruin a perfectly civil
discussion between TK and myself.

Emotion? LOL

You're the one arguing "every" team in our division got better when the Tacks went from 13-3 to 8-8. You're the one who early in the season was reserving SB tickets and is now acting like a jilted prom date because they didn't make the playoffs. And get a grip, conversations around here aren't private in case you haven't noticed.

Emotion? LOL

You're the one arguing "every" team in our division got better when the Tacks went from 13-3 to 8-8. You're the one who early in the season was reserving SB tickets and is now acting like a jilted prom date because they didn't make the playoffs. And get a grip, conversations around here aren't private in case you haven't noticed.

What's your opinion on this discussion, Infantry? No opinion on the subject,
but a ton of venom against those who don't agree with your unstated position.

I get it.

My point, TK, is that it ultimately doesn't matter if the Texans have gotten
better, if the improvement is not at a rate HIGHER than that of the Colts, Titans,
Ravens, Jets, Jags, Broncos and Chargers. They don't have any NFC creampuffs to
pad the record with next year. We will truly see where this team is.
The Colts are arguably the best. They can't possibly be getting better at a faster rate than the Texans... unless the Texans aren't getting better at all. The law of diminishing returns.

My point is that you'll become a better boxer (with the right trainer) by boxing Mike Tyson twice a year every year. You'll be able to beat a better class boxer, as you get better, but Tyson will whip your ass for at least 8 years, before you are actually good enough to beat him.

I'm not saying Kubiak(the trainer) has had 8 years to whip Tyson. He's only had 4, and in those 4, he's had hurdles to overcome. Our boxer is getting better... no doubt about it. If Kubiak continues to do what he's been doing, I believe our boxer will whip Tyson's ass next year. McNair thinks so as well.
If they go 1-3 against the NFC East next year, they'll have to finish 8-4
in the AFC, JUST to make it to 9-7. Remember. The season doesn't happen
in a vacuum. The Texans have to be better than A LOT of teams to justify
this "five-year program" we have on our head coaching.

Or we could have gone to a 2 year/3 year program like the Lions, the Cardinals, the Saints(until recently), the Falcons, the Bucs, and every other team that spent decades trying to get to mediocre.

Again, if your division consist of Tyson, Frazier, & Ali...... throw goofy 4 year expectations out the window. Especially when the other team only had to worry about Forman once every 4 years.

What's your opinion on this discussion, Infantry? No opinion on the subject,
but a ton of venom against those who don't agree with your unstated position.

I get it.

My opinion? I leaned toward keeping Kubiak - I think the team has improved but he has made mistakes as well. I also think any number of things happen last season some in Kubiak's control and some not and the Texans make the playoffs and 95% of the anti-Kubiak posts are gone while the actual merits of what has been done don't change at all. I really don't care about the extension because McNair is the one who will have to take it in the wallet if it doesn't work out, not me. I think your making up arguments and repetitive arguments to prosecute your MB vendetta are a joke. There you go. Now it's plainly stated.

Last edited:
I think your making up arguments and repetitive arguments to prosecute your MB vendetta are a joke. There you go. Now it's plainly stated.

People on ends of the argument have continually "restated their positions."
It's the very reason these threads won't "die." I'm just wondering why you
continually lambaste those participating on the discussion with an opposing
viewpoint from yours.

"Sunshiners" AND "Soapers" are essentially doing the same thing, but I don't
get your reasoning for attacking the "soapers" rather than their arguments.

If you're out of ideas, it's o.k. There are people who enjoy discussing this
subject, and it's why threads like these will continue to get larger.

The Colts are arguably the best. They can't possibly be getting better at a faster rate than the Texans... unless the Texans aren't getting better at all. The law of diminishing returns.
They've replaced half their defense, a HOF wide receiver, and Anthony
Gonzales with rookies who have performed at pro bowl calibers. They've
gotten younger and arguably better over most of their team, and STILL
almost won the SuperBowl.

My point is that you'll become a better boxer (with the right trainer) by boxing Mike Tyson twice a year every year. You'll be able to beat a better class boxer, as you get better, but Tyson will whip your ass for at least 8 years, before you are actually good enough to beat him.
The Colts are Mike Tyson. I'll give you that. But who are the Jags
and Titans? They ALSO own our trainer's ass annually. Maybe Poindexter
doesn't have the stuff to be World Champion.

I'm not saying Kubiak(the trainer) has had 8 years to whip Tyson. He's only had 4, and in those 4, he's had hurdles to overcome. Our boxer is getting better... no doubt about it. If Kubiak continues to do what he's been doing, I believe our boxer will whip Tyson's ass next year. McNair thinks so as well.
Bob Mcnair is telling us that being better than Casserly/Capers is good
enough. Good luck signing our Probowlers with the bar set on our head
coach so low. You KNOW they're gonna ask the Texans to break the bank.

If it all works out, then no one will be happier than me.

Not to start another kubiak thread... but our coach feels we have "a long, long way to go" How's that stir your competitive spirit?

From the press conference officially noting Kubiak's extension HT.com - approx 24.11 into clip

Well, it is just Febuary. The 010 Super Bowl is just a hair under a year away. I'd say that's "a long, long way to go".

I took his comment to mean there's a lot of work to be done between now and 010. Plus, he says that all the time.

I think this thread has had some good talk both ways and a third cycle may not be needed. That or someone can start a new one one day that makes it feel like it is a fresh thread :). Close her down.

A lil off-topic. Have any of you tried "Yerba Mate?" It's more popular in
Argentina than coffee is here, and a LOT cheaper. The stuff gives you the
kick of coffee, but without the jitters and energy crash. Twice the antioxidant
content of green tea.

Just wondering if you've tried it.

Kubiak is not flawless but he is the Best man for the Job cause he Has 4 years Building What we want. Not a team to win tomorrow but a team to win continously year after year. He came out and said that is what he is doing, Bob Backed him up so Put the pink soap down. Face the facts and realize that he will start this next season, He might not last the whole season but till he screws the pooch Support him. He is the coach of the Football Team we all want to win. He is the man in charge coming in to the Season we could Step into Dallas and stuff a sock into Cowboys mouth for ever. We are all Texan Fans So Lets support our team. If we tank the 1st 5 games next season I will admit I made a Mistake, I just do not see that happening after what we accomplished this season.

I think this thread has had some good talk both ways and a third cycle may not be needed. That or someone can start a new one one day that makes it feel like it is a fresh thread :). Close her down.

Motion seconded

They've replaced half their defense, a HOF wide receiver, and Anthony
Gonzales with rookies who have performed at pro bowl calibers. They've
gotten younger and arguably better over most of their team, and STILL
almost won the SuperBowl.
At what point could you have said they are not arguably the best team in the NFL?

2009? 2008? 2007? 2006?

I understand they have added & removed players.... but it's an organizational thing. They have been arguably the best team in the NFL for at least a decade.

The only way they can get better, is if we can remove the word arguably from that discription.
The Colts are Mike Tyson. I'll give you that. But who are the Jags
and Titans? They ALSO own our trainer's ass annually. Maybe Poindexter
doesn't have the stuff to be World Champion.
They are also pretty damn good boxers. We've swept the Jags before, we've split with them before, we got swept..... doesn't really change the fact that we are getting better, LIke I said, check their records against the rest of the league, I'm sure you'll find they are up there as well.
Bob Mcnair is telling us that being better than Casserly/Capers is good
enough. Good luck signing our Probowlers with the bar set on our head
coach so low. You KNOW they're gonna ask the Texans to break the bank.
I wouldn't expect you to take less than what you felt you are worth. Why would we expect them to? Good thing we're going into an uncapped year..... break the bank.
If it all works out, then no one will be happier than me.

I'm still going to have fun rubbing it in your face.
:kingkong:

I reckon the odds of y'all talkin any sense into SH are less than teaching a newborn trigonometry. :lol:

:heh:

Good for Kubes. He improved this franchise and better days are ahead. Anyone remember the days when we had a hard time scoring 17 points a game?

Last edited:
Well, it is just Febuary. The 010 Super Bowl is just a hair under a year away. I'd say that's "a long, long way to go".

I took his comment to mean there's a lot of work to be done between now and 010. Plus, he says that all the time.

010? I think it only works for single-digit years. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back