Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason GM 1: Saints vs Texans

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Maybe.

Without making any excuses, did you think Mills looked good out there?

yes or no,no excuses.

Haters are going to hate, but these excuses aren’t making the situation any better. I doubt Nick or Lovie changed their opinion on Mills based on what they saw Saturday night. I know I didn’t
Sorry, I am all out of answers and only dealing in excuses.

Seriously -Mills had 3 passes. 3. You are asking me make judgments on 3 passes.

Mack had more touches than Mills throws.

He underwhelmed because he might not as well played. Just like some of your girlfriends mights say - the amount of time it lasted was more disappointing than anything. Lol.

Short answer is no. 1 pass was a dump off that did nothing. The second got postive yardage. And the third almost got a first down. The third was looking like he might develop some type of rhythm.

The negative yardage on the running play and then the next series had a penalty that ruined those two drives.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe.

Without making any excuses, did you think Mills looked good out there?

yes or no,no excuses.

Haters are going to hate, but these excuses aren’t making the situation any better. I doubt Nick or Lovie changed their opinion on Mills based on what they saw Saturday night. I know I didn’t
I think he looked about as good as could be expected with the plays that were called and the penalties that happened.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Say this last part again.
Thats pretty much it with me. Alot of posters saying he didn't have this guy or that guy or its the 1st preseason. Then I watch a young, inexperienced qb without his 1st or 2nd targets in the same situations throw a bomb against 5 man pressure with a dirty pocket. Its one thing to go against your own defense which isn't that good, but its another to go against another team where you're not scripting the plays. Again, I'm not calling doomsday, I think for a young qb like Mills to only get 2 possessions and neither yield anything and put on a ball cap like he's a 10 yr vet didn't vibe with me.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Thats pretty much it with me. Alot of posters saying he didn't have this guy or that guy or its the 1st preseason. Then I watch a young, inexperienced qb without his 1st or 2nd targets in the same situations throw a bomb against 5 man pressure with a dirty pocket. Its one thing to go against your own defense which isn't that good, but its another to go against another team where you're not scripting the plays. Again, I'm not calling doomsday, I think for a young qb like Mills to only get 2 possessions and neither yield anything and put on a ball cap like he's a 10 yr vet didn't vibe with me.
Then you have more of a problem with Lovie and Pep than the performance of Mills.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sorry, I am all out of answers and only dealing in excuses.

Seriously -Mills had 3 passes. 3. You are asking me make judgments on 3 passes.

Mack had more touches than Mills throws.

He underwhelmed because he might not as well played. Just like some of your girlfriends mights say - the amount of time it lasted was more disappointing than anything. Lol.

Short answer is no. 1 pass was a dump off that did nothing. The second got postive yardage. And the third almost got a first down. The third was looking like he might develop some type of rhythm.

The negative yardage on the running play and then the next series had a penalty that ruined those two drives.
Playing devil’s advocate (I love Mills, neck & all).

But, it’s the QB’s job to get them in the right play. West Coast, EP, Veer… doesn’t matter. Call the play, read the defense, adjust.

michaelm

vox nihili
A link for what exactly? Let me clarify as it feels like we're on two different pages. Mills was slated to play two series. The reason those series were short and we didn't see more of him was due in part to his own ineptitude. Two series = two 3 and outs. In neither series did he even make the slightest attempt at getting a first down. He played checkdown Charlie and called it a day, and acted like he didn't give a damn. He literally gave up on both series without so much a whimper. Yes, I know it's preseason. Good habits and winning team culture is formed in part from practice and practice games. It's how you lead in all ways on and off the field - and the QB is the leader.

Game one of preseason, I am not going to get all bent out of shape...but it's a concern until Mills stops making it one.
You're right, we weren't on the same page. I took your earlier post to mean that Mills playing time was cut short by Lovie due to Mills' poor play. I see what you were saying now.
Mills could have had more playing time if his play was better, resulting in longer possessions and more snaps.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
But let’s not act like Mills hasn’t completed passes like that before.
If you go and look at the 3rd down play on 1st possession, he didn't even go through any of his progressions. He got the snap and was predtermined to go to Conley without going through any of his progressions. Maybe Pep told him to just get the ball out and come to the sideline. The wr at the top ran a over route if i recall and someone ran a route inside, but why throw a pass 4 yds short of the sticks without any chance to get a 1st down? Isn't the preseason for situational practice against another team?

Texansballer74

The Marine
If you go and look at the 3rd down play on 1st possession, he didn't even go through any of his progressions. He got the snap and was predtermined to go to Conley without going through any of his progressions. Maybe Pep told him to just get the ball out and come to the sideline. The wr at the top ran a over route if i recall and someone ran a route inside, but why throw a pass 4 yds short of the sticks without any chance to get a 1st down? Isn't the preseason for situational practice against another team?
It’s just preseason.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Winning is better than losing even if it is just a preseason game. I don't know what it is but I always feel happier when the Texans win, regardless of circumstances. I watched the first half Saturday night and the second half Sunday night. Like many others here, I loved what I saw out of Pitre and Pierce. The only disappointment for me was Marlon Mack. After the draft I was pretty excited about the potential Mack/Pierce combo. Still early but I think Mack may be very limited in his carries.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Winning is better than losing even if it is just a preseason game. I don't know what it is but I always feel happier when the Texans win, regardless of circumstances. I watched the first half Saturday night and the second half Sunday night. Like many others here, I loved what I saw out of Pitre and Pierce. The only disappointment for me was Marlon Mack. After the draft I was pretty excited about the potential Mack/Pierce combo. Still early but I think Mack may be very limited in his carries.
Mack isn't the problem. I'm hoping the run game looks very different when running behind the starting OL.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Winning is better than losing even if it is just a preseason game. I don't know what it is but I always feel happier when the Texans win, regardless of circumstances.
& that's all that matters.

No one enjoying the win is saying it means the Texans will have a good season. Most of the people who think the Texans will have a good season thinks that means around six wins. Not Super Bowl.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Question?

How was he a disappointment when there was no room for him to run. The very first play he got blew up as soon as Mills handed him the ball.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Question?

How was he a disappointment when there was no room for him to run. The very first play he got blew up as soon as Mills handed him the ball.
It's too early for me to go deep into analyzing. It's one preseason game, admittedly I wasn't glued to the TV during it and I won't be watching it again. I'm happy with the outcome of the game and recognize a lot can change between now and season opener.

Sounds like you weren't happy with the run blocking from the first unit offense?

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Sounds like you weren't happy with the run blocking from the first unit offense?
Just to be clear, our starting offensive line was:

Heck, McCray, Quessenberry, McCann, Howard

On the first play, the Saints came with a blitz against the run and blew up Mack because... I suspect... Quessenberry didn't pick up his guy.

It didn't get a ton better after that.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It's too early for me to go deep into analyzing. It's one preseason game, admittedly I wasn't glued to the TV during it and I won't be watching it again. I'm happy with the outcome of the game and recognize a lot can change between now and season opener.

I watched the game again today. The very first run The Saints blitz and blew the run up the middle up. Nobody picked up the linebacker blitz. The next play was a wide receiver screen, which was behind the line of scrimmage. That play was blown up to for a loss. Terrible blocking by Jordan.
Second series, First play was a run, Mack rushed for 5 yards, he bounced it outside. Good vision. Unfortunately a holding call on McCray (64). Putting them behind the sticks again. Second play was another run, 3 yard gain. Third play was another run for 5 yards. Terrible play calling by Pep because he didn’t try to attack the Saints downfield.

In his pressers he sad he was trying to establish dominance.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Analyzing pre-season games is just mental masturbation. Sort of feels good,but really doesn't accomplish anything. We can jaw about it all we want and it won't matter because nothing we think matters in what happens on the field.

Reactions: JB

badboy

Hall of Fame
Analyzing pre-season games is just mental masturbation. Sort of feels good,but really doesn't accomplish anything. We can jaw about it all we want and it won't matter because nothing we think matters in what happens on the field.
Then why are you here?:😀 goes here