Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Predictions for NFL Draft 2019

I thought it might be interesting to see people’s predictions for the upcoming draft. Here are the ones that I have so far:

1. Rosen will be traded to the Patriots
2. Because of poor interviews J. Polite, once considered Top 20 talent, will fall to the 3rd round
3. Gaine will trade back at least once
4. Three QBs will be taken in Rd 1 (Murray, Haskins, Lock)
5. Josh Jacobs to the Eagles

I thought it might be interesting to see people’s predictions for the upcoming draft. Here are the ones that I have so far:

1. Rosen will be traded to the Patriots
2. Because of poor interviews J. Polite, once considered Top 20 talent, will fall to the 3rd round
3. Gaine will trade back at least once
4. Three QBs will be taken in Rd 1 (Murray, Haskins, Lock)
5. Josh Jacobs to the Eagles

Love this, I could see all of this happening.

I dont know about the Rosen to the Pats or Jacobs to Eagles is going to happen but I could see it happening.

Belichek ninja psyches the entire league and snags the second best QB in the draft - Daniel Jones, (Duke) 6'5" 225 lbs at pick 32.
Well they sure didn't psyche anybody the way they handled the QB Garoppolo deal with the 49ers, actually San Fran kinda snookered Belichek/Pats as I recall.

Gaine trade back is a done deal as far as i’m concerned. He’s gonna want that 4th round pick back he gave up for Demaryius.

Also add Clowney as a draft day trade possibility.
I dunno but I'm skeptical that anybody would work out a trade with the Texans for Clowney before they had atleast the opportunity to talk long-term contract
with Clowney and his agent.

I dunno but I'm skeptical that anybody would work out a trade with the Texans for Clowney before they had atleast the opportunity to talk long-term contract
with Clowney and his agent.

Owners meeting taking place, agents have multiple clients and talk to the team. They have a good idea what Clowney is asking for and depending on how their board falls on draft day will know if his asking price is worth parting with draft pick(s) the Texans would want in return.

OK, but if it were me I'd want contract terms in writing before I traded for Clowney,
but maybe these guys do do business on a handshake ?

It's a principle thing.. if they go back on their word once it has been given, they will have a very hard time doing business in the future

I could see the Texans trading Clowney for Green Bay's RD1-30-030 and RD4-16-119.

Texans could trade back at 23 and still get a late (24-32) RD1 and probably a RD3 out of the move.

That would give them an extra RD1, RD3 and RD4. All great picks. 7 picks from 24-119 should be a great haul of potential starters.

I could see the Texans trading Clowney for Green Bay's RD1-30-030 and RD4-16-119.

Texans could trade back at 23 and still get a late (24-32) RD1 and probably a RD3 out of the move.

That would give them an extra RD1, RD3 and RD4. All great picks. 7 picks from 24-119 should be a great haul of potential starters.

Why would Green Bay do that deal? Why would Gaine?

Why would Green Bay do that deal? Why would Gaine?

Green Bay still views itself as a viable contender. They would still be in possession of their first and forth round picks. Clowney brings a solid veteran presence to their DE which happens to have a need for DE/EDGE since they also run a 3-4 defensive scheme. Clowney is a young plug and play athlete.

As for the Texans.....an extra RD1 and RD4 could secure additional OL help, defensive backfield help and a RB. Those extra picks would really help plug some holes with viable athletes.

Green Bay still views itself as a viable contender. They would still be in possession of their first and forth round picks. Clowney brings a solid veteran presence to their DE which happens to have a need for DE/EDGE since they also run a 3-4 defensive scheme. Clowney is a young plug and play athlete.

As for the Texans.....an extra RD1 and RD4 could secure additional OL help, defensive backfield help and a RB. Those extra picks would really help plug some holes with viable athletes.

What pick you gonna use to replace a proven pro-bowl talent along the DL?

What pick you gonna use to replace a proven pro-bowl talent along the DL?

I would start with the guy already on the roster, Ejiofor. Then I would like to add maybe a true EDGE in Jalen Jelks, Oregon who is 6-5 @ 256 lbs who could be on the board in RD3 or RD4. I'm getting answers for the OL and defensive backfield first.

I would start with the guy already on the roster, Ejiofor. Then I would like to add maybe a true EDGE in Jalen Jelks, Oregon who is 6-5 @ 256 lbs who could be on the board in RD3 or RD4. I'm getting answers for the OL and defensive backfield first.

So you're gonna give up a proven pro-bowl talent for a sixth round pick and a couple of question marks?

So you're gonna give up a proven pro-bowl talent for a sixth round pick and a couple of question marks?

Yes, yes I would. Why? This defense has failed to make any quality stops in crunch time or the playoffs. So, does this defense become any weaker without Clowney.....maybe, maybe not. Will the defense and OL be better overall with solid new blood? Yes.

If you believe Chad Forbes this is what they are hearing:

Chad Forbes@NFLDraftBites
https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/1109614786348793857

#Texans 3 top 55 picks. LOVE Bama’s Josh Jacobs who comp to Sony Michel on potential impact. Miles Sanders Option. O-Line recognize major need, won’t reach at 23. D-Back & developmental pass rusher mid Rds. Tytus Howard, David Edwards, Cajuste Rd2 OL Fits. Rd1 Trade Up candidate. https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status/1109613769112645632 …

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1109614786348793857

7:35 PM - Mar 23, 2019

If you believe Chad Forbes this is what they are hearing:

Chad Forbes@NFLDraftBites

#Texans 3 top 55 picks. LOVE Bama’s Josh Jacobs who comp to Sony Michel on potential impact. Miles Sanders Option. O-Line recognize major need, won’t reach at 23. D-Back & developmental pass rusher mid Rds. Tytus Howard, David Edwards, Cajuste Rd2 OL Fits. Rd1 Trade Up candidate. https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status/1109613769112645632 …

7:35 PM - Mar 23, 2019

Texans are not a trade up candidate in round one and I hope we don't draft a RB before round 3..

The Packers just signed Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith to a combined $36M guaranteed. They're also already paying DL Mike Daniels $10M per year and need to extend stud DL Kenny Clark next year.

Why in the world would they trade for Clowney (who wants a new huge contract)?

Yes, yes I would. Why? This defense has failed to make any quality stops in crunch time or the playoffs. So, does this defense become any weaker without Clowney.....maybe, maybe not. Will the defense and OL be better overall with solid new blood? Yes.

Ironically, Clowney is the only defender who ever shows up in crunch time.

I’d consider a RB in round 2 for the right player as long as we got an OL and DB with the previous picks. Ultimately though, I’d look at RB in rounds 3-6.

There are no standout RB's this yr.

Alot of Harris/Montgomery good ones though.

Not worth a 2nd.

That’s fair. My ideal would be to draft one in the later rounds. Any particular RBs that intrigue you?

I like Sanders, Henderson, Ozigbe, and Anderson.

I love Ozigbo, but I think he's going to be gone in the 3rd or 4th rd. Love Sanders too but he's most likely gone in rd 2.

Late rd guys I like Bruce Anderson/Wes Hills/Jordan Scarlett/Armstead/Qadree Ollison/Darwin Thompson/Ty Johnson.

All of the late rd guys would be upgrades over Blue. I really like Anderson/Armstead/Scarlett/Johnson the most.

Texans trading up to protect Watson will always be applauded. (By me, anyway)

If we trade up and get Dillard, I'm fine with it.

If they traded up for Dillard using 55 and went with an OL of Dillard/Rankin/Martin/Fulton/Henderson with Davenport/Mancz/Kelemete as reserves would you be happy? Particularly if they added say a CB like Long or Johnson in the 2nd and a guy I really like Jimmy Moreland in the 3rd.

The Ol would be better but not what we want it to be. But the CB's would be a whole lot faster and better in coverage. That was a stated goal of Gaine/BOB this offseason to get faster at CB. With these guys and and Roby that goal would be accomplished.

You don't know that yet.
One of them is going to have to be.

Who do you think is the current CB1? Certainly not Bradley freakin Roby.

They are going to have to draft a guy and let him develop into a CB1. I'm hoping for a Trevarious (SP?) White type pick, who was picked in the 2nd rd while Gaine was in Buffalo.

They are going to have to draft a guy and let him develop into a CB1. I'm hoping for a Trevarious (SP?) White type pick, who was picked in the 2nd rd while Gaine was in Buffalo.
Late 1st, 27th overall. They traded down with the Chiefs, who took Mahomes.

Who do you think is the current CB1? Certainly not Bradley freakin Roby.

Roby is still young, could be much better with new guys around him and new system plus coaching.

Late 1st, 27th overall. They traded down with the Chiefs, who took Mahomes.

If they could get a guy like White after trading down then I would be on board.

How would you feel if they stayed at 23 and say Jonah fell to them and Gaine picked him then say Murphy was also there and they used the two 2's and a future pick (3rd) in 2020 for say a 2019 bottom of the 1st and a 2019 4th or 5th?

Then you come out of this draft with Jonah/Murphy and an extra say 5th to add depth?

Last edited:
If they traded up for Dillard using 55 and went with an OL of Dillard/Rankin/Martin/Fulton/Henderson with Davenport/Mancz/Kelemete as reserves would you be happy? Particularly if they added say a CB like Long or Johnson in the 2nd and a guy I really like Jimmy Moreland in the 3rd.

The Ol would be better but not what we want it to be. But the CB's would be a whole lot faster and better in coverage. That was a stated goal of Gaine/BOB this offseason to get faster at CB. With these guys and and Roby that goal would be accomplished.

100% yes. I'd even be ok with that trade, getting Dillard and then using 55 of an interior OL starter. OL is that important to me. Keeping Watson upright is the only chance we have of winning. KC's defense, especially the DBs were just terrible but they kept Mahomes (relatively) upright and won. OL again and again until we have it solved. Nothing else matters to us winning if we lose our QB.

Then you come out of this draft with Jonah/Murphy and an extra say 5th to add depth?
I like Williams, but as a Guard in a ZBS. Worth the pick, but maybe not what the Texans need. I see Murphy as a slot CB . Perfect for covering the Edelmans of the league. Not really going to thrive on the outside with bigger, faster wideouts. So, not opposed to the scenario of getting an OT and CB early. Just not the combo you've suggested.

I like Williams, but as a Guard in a ZBS. Worth the pick, but maybe not what the Texans need. I see Murphy as a slot CB . Perfect for covering the Edelmans of the league. Not really going to thrive on the outside with bigger, faster wideouts. So, not opposed to the scenario of getting an OT and CB early. Just not the combo you've suggested.
I would love Jawaan Taylor. I think he is a lock RT.
Nail down one position or side of the line and then you can work on the others.

I like Williams as a LT and they're saying the same things about him that they said about Cam Robinson. Joe Thomas said he thought that Williams was going to play LT for a long time in the league and that's good enough for me. I hope teams view Williams the way you do because that's the only way he falls to 23. I view Williams as this drafts Jake Matthews.

I dont have conviction about Murphy because I suck at evaluating CB's.

I like Williams as a LT and they're saying the same things about him that they said about Cam Robinson. Joe Thomas said he thought that Williams was going to play LT for a long time in the league and that's good enough for me. I hope teams view Williams the way you do because that's the only way he falls to 23. I view Williams as this drafts Jake Matthews.

I dont have conviction about Murphy because I suck at evaluating CB's.
No one saying the same things about Williams that they said about Robinson. Robinson had questions regarding his foot quickness and ability to block speed off the edge. Williams questions are about length and strength. I heard Thomas and I've heard others that say Williams is a NFL OG. I don't think there is a universal opinion. My opinion sides with Williams as a Guard. Either way, he has value from the mid-late 1st.

No one saying the same things about Williams that they said about Robinson. Robinson had questions regarding his foot quickness and ability to block speed off the edge. Williams questions are about length and strength. I heard Thomas and I've heard others that say Williams is a NFL OG. I don't think there is a universal opinion. My opinion sides with Williams as a Guard. Either way, he has value from the mid-late 1st.

Right in the Texans wheelhouse around 23.

The thing about Williams is that even if he's potentially an all-pro guard he's also to the Texans, if he's on our roster, a better left tackle than Davenport or anybody else
on our team. So that would buy Gaine some more time to secure a permanent LT at which time Williams just moves inside.

Back