Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pre-season 8/25/2013, Game 3 vs Saints + Top 5 things you are interested in seeing?

That 4th & goal pass was low and behind #17.

Even if that was a good pass, which it wasn't, it was the wrong throw to make. 4th and 6 and the throw went to a well-covered WR for a possible 3 yard completion. Yates simply outplayed Keenum today.

This just in..... AJ be good.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15854--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15855--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15856--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15858--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]

At the moment, I am not concern much about our D. Without our starting DEs, we won't be able to apply enough QB pressure needed to throw off opponent rhythm. I think performance of front 7 is so crucial to our D and when missing 2 core starters naturally effects other D's performances.

What really concerns me most is RT position.

Also I have some concern on OLB, S and, #3 WR (we need reliable #3 who has good hands and not drop an easy pass)

Go Texans!!!

im starting to be kinda ........ confused Faced when I see Schaub playing

im like OK Matt when **** breaks down what are u going to do to make **** happen not stand there and take a sack or just throw it away

when he got sacked I was so mad he is a vet his internal clock should of gone off and he should of got the ball out of his hands

IDK guys I say again come playoffs and there mad blitzen and killing our O line is Mat going to finally take this team on his back and make Crazy PLays

because that's what u need in the PLayoffs from your QB like 4 or 5 Crazy PLays from your QB it seems like

The WR corps disturbs me a bit also with Hopson still in day 1 of protocols. As of today, we seem to offer MS same weapons as last season. Posey is a slight plus until we know what we have and Jean looked good today. He could give Matt a bit of reassurance if he can win his QB's trust and allow Hopson and Posey time to get healthier. I wished our LBs were this deep.

There were times when I thought Matt looked great. Times when I thought he looked meh... & times when I thought WTF... & he only played the first half.

Some of his throws were money. Ahead of the receiver, allowing them to pluck it out of the air & keep running. A time or two, a ball thrown behind a receiver to protect him. But too many times the ball was thrown behind the receiver for no apparent reason. That floater to Aj that he turned, jumped up & caught..... why did that one have so much air? If that was thrown more like a "back shoulder" throw, Andre could have made a play on it, turned up field & continue to run. The pass to OD in the end zone, any reason that wasn't thrown in front of Owen where the defender would have no chance to make a play on it?

I know we can't expect perfect throws, when at least 4 guys are out there trying to rip Matt's head off, but I think we should expect better consistency in ball placement from a 10 year vet. He's been in this system for 6 years & he's been throwing to Aj & OD for 6 years.

He's not fleet of foot, he's got to make up for it with placement, quickness, savy & I'm just not seeing it.

The WR corps disturbs me a bit also with Hopson still in day 1 of protocols. As of today, we seem to offer MS same weapons as last season. Posey is a slight plus until we know what we have and Jean looked good today. He could give Matt a bit of reassurance if he can win his QB's trust and allow Hopson and Posey time to get healthier. I wished our LBs were this deep.

There were times when I thought Matt looked great. Times when I thought he looked meh... & times when I thought WTF... & he only played the first half.

Some of his throws were money. Ahead of the receiver, allowing them to pluck it out of the air & keep running. A time or two, a ball thrown behind a receiver to protect him. But too many times the ball was thrown behind the receiver for no apparent reason. That floater to Aj that he turned, jumped up & caught..... why did that one have so much air? If that was thrown more like a "back shoulder" throw, Andre could have made a play on it, turned up field & continue to run. The pass to OD in the end zone, any reason that wasn't thrown in front of Owen where the defender would have no chance to make a play on it?

I know we can't expect perfect throws, when at least 4 guys are out there trying to rip Matt's head off, but I think we should expect better consistency in ball placement from a 10 year vet. He's been in this system for 6 years & he's been throwing to Aj & OD for 6 years.

He's not fleet of foot, he's got to make up for it with placement, quickness, savy & I'm just not seeing it.

Even if that was a good pass, which it wasn't, it was the wrong throw to make. 4th and 6 and the throw went to a well-covered WR for a possible 3 yard completion. Yates simply outplayed Keenum today.

On that note, when Yates and Keenum both played with #2s Case outplayed yates, but yes ur right tonight Yates with the #2s out played Keenum with the #3s.

I really didn't like the fact that AJ and Lestar got hung out
like this yesterday. Too many balls thrown high! They
took some shots.

Eventually, if you keep this up, someone is going to get
knocked out and miss some games.

TJ

This just in..... AJ be good.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15854--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15855--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15856--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15858--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]

Yates didn't "simply" outplay Keenum. Yates had a legitimate ground
game, better protection, and more time on the clock to inch down
the field.

It seemed as though every time Keenum was given a run play the
back lost yardage. (re-watched it last night, and it was really noticeable)

I think the biggest run play he had was when he ran for a first
down himself.

On the second drive, there was such little time on the clock that
they ran out of an empty set all of the way down the field.
Gary did him no favors with timeout management and iffy play
calling in the redzone (which happened to Yates as well)

Yates put up points and Keenum didn't -- but 10 of 14, mostly in
2-minute drill mode (when everyone in the stadium knows you're going
to be throwing the ball), isn't shabby..

TJ

After seeing Yates with the #2s I'd say he played well enough to be the #2 guy. I'd like to see both with some starters, but that's probably not going to happen.

Schaub always frustrates me. He will make some throws that are just outstanding to watch, and on the next play throw behind a receiver or into coverage. I think it may have something to do with his preconceived notion of where the ball is going on a particular play.

Our RB play seems better. Tate had a good game, Jean had a good game. I didn't see anyone stand out in the skill positions at the #2 and #3 level.

At the moment, I am not concern much about our D. Without our starting DEs, we won't be able to apply enough QB pressure needed to throw off opponent rhythm. I think performance of front 7 is so crucial to our D and when missing 2 core starters naturally effects other D's performances.

What really concerns me most is RT position.

Also I have some concern on OLB, S and, #3 WR (we need reliable #3 who has good hands and not drop an easy pass)

Go Texans!!!

I agree partially in regards to the defense. Pressure is a strong part in coverage. At the same time your secondary still has to hold their man. It's more than they 'must have pressure to succeed' when the opposing QB is taking their drop steps and releasing. Your secondary should be able to hold someone for that amount of time because we're talking 2-3 seconds. They weren't holding them and that is a concern because pressure will not be there every single pass play. Just won't happen.

And when it doesn't you have to hold down your end. Good/great secondaries help create that pressure for the front by putting blankets on the opposing receivers and cutting off initial reads. You have to force them into their second, third read and give that line some time to make things happen at times. So it works both ways for both groups.

In any case, I'm not going to be overly worried on it. Don't know why but I don't think that is how we will cover in the season. We basically saw the exact same approach to the spread offense from last year which the Jaguars, Lions, Pats x2 and Packers ate alive. I don't think we brought Reed in for this because he plays best covering up top and roaming. Not man to man. But we didn't see that in this game just more straight man to man with no help on top so I am betting they aren't showing the changes to their approach at this point which of course is generally the way things go.

Just watched a portion of the game during lunch. I was reminded how bogus of a call the PI was against Harris. That call basically guaranteed points for the Saints. I haven't been a big fan of Harris', but I thought he did well on that play. Crappy call

Just watched a portion of the game during lunch. I was reminded how bogus of a call the PI was against Harris. That call basically guaranteed points for the Saints. I haven't been a big fan of Harris', but I thought he did well on that play. Crappy call

Agree.
Actually, I think Harris had a good game.

How did Montgomery grade out? I didn't get to see much of 2nd half.

He only played five or six snaps and looked OK.
I still don't know whether he's slow off the snap, or they still want him to read the lineman instead of the snap.

Turned a play in for T. Williams to make a tackle.
Sustained the edge on another play and shoved the runner out of bound after a 3-yd gain.
Pushed the RT on a pass play once, but it wasn't a win, just a tiny slight edge.
On the other plays, he wasn't really involved.

I thought the block in the back was bogus too. I can see how the ref got it wrong, considering Harris' hands were on the defender, but there was no push. I like how Ed Reed was telling him to put his hands up in that situation.

Montgomery is not ready to contribute. He needs to play faster and with more aggression.

I just began re-watching the 2nd half of the game, so I can't comment on this game yet. I made the comment after last week that his 'get off' is a good half second slower than the rest of the Dline. I thought it might've been a mistake on his part at first, but it never got better throughout the game.

I'm not writing the dude off yet, but it doesn't look very good imo.

Personally, and I've said this before, I'd like to see Trevardo inside. Obviously it's too late this season, but maybe next year

I thought the block in the back was bogus too. I can see how the ref got it wrong, considering Harris' hands were on the defender, but there was no push. I like how Ed Reed was telling him to put his hands up in that situation.

Yeah, the block in the back was kind of iffy too, but there was at least a bit of contact to make it harder the argue. The PI was just all out bogus

Personally, and I've said this before, I'd like to see Trevardo inside. Obviously it's too late this season, but maybe next year

I need to watch Trevardo more, but my impression thus far is that he's a small fast dude without much aggression, football ability or strength.

I really don't want him anywhere on the field tbh.

I need to watch Trevardo more, but my impression thus far is that he's a small fast dude without much aggression, football ability or strength.

I was saying the same thing in the roster thread.

Lol, dang. I'd have to agree though. Especially where they have him playing. I would just like to see him inside before letting him go.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do with these guys. It's obvious they are NOT ready to play in the NFL at this time.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
#Texans offensive line vs. Saints. QB Hurries. Ben Jones (3) Duane Brown, Ryan Harris (2) Quessenberry, Newton (1)

#Texans offensive line vs. Saints. (3) Sacks given up. Newton, Ben Jones, Chris Myers

I'm disappointed in Ben Jones this year. I don't know if it's a RG/LG thing, but he actually has seemed to regress at a time when most guys make a nice jump and show progress. I still think C is his future - but if he doesn't pick it up, he won't have one.

Hopefully Wade will be ready in 2 weeks. If not, I'm not so sure I'm not more comfy with Q at LG instead of Jones, and that's sad for Jones considering Q is a 6th rd rookie - meaning I don't really think Q is ready but I still like him more than Jones at this point in time.

I'm disappointed in Ben Jones this year. I don't know if it's a RG/LG thing, but he actually has seemed to regress at a time when most guys make a nice jump and show progress. I still think C is his future - but if he doesn't pick it up, he won't have one.

Hopefully Wade will be ready in 2 weeks. If not, I'm not so sure I'm not more comfy with Q at LG instead of Jones, and that's sad for Jones considering Q is a 6th rd rookie - meaning I don't really think Q is ready but I still like him more than Jones at this point in time.

To be fair, Jones had to move from center to RG, to LG.
Quiz is certainly athletic but he's not seeing the starters.

I like them both.

I will never discount Jones because he's been showing the grittiness of a warrior.
You can put him in different positions in a pinch.
Not a bad guy to have on the roster.

Au contraire, is that not Quiz blocking for Schaub in the last pic in the "Adam Schein on Schaub" thread?

Was Quiz in with the first group?
I've only gone through with the general of the game in a couple of passes.
I paid more attention to the position than the particular player.

They moved guys around and it was more of a overall looksee rather than really paying attention to a particular player.

I'm pretty sure Quiz wasn't in with the first group.
But really, I was looking beyond that.
I want to see of this guy can perform an efficient cut block, or he is good at the second level, etc.
If he's good at the POA; if he can perform a seal block.
Plenty of stuff to watch.

I have been intrigued with the blockings for quite a while and I appreciate them guys much. They have no glory, only blame.

Was Quiz in with the first group?
I've only gone through with the general of the game in a couple of passes.
I paid more attention to the position than the particular player.

They moved guys around and it was more of a overall looksee rather than really paying attention to a particular player.

Look at the picture I referenced. He is blocking for Schaub with the rest of the starting O-line. I really don't know how much he played with the 1's, but he definately was in for at least one play.

I'm disappointed in Ben Jones this year. .

eh.... They've all shown a bit of poor play from time to time. I was criticizing Duane Brown last game when a LB was giving him the business & yesterday, Will Smith was giving him all he could handle.

Granted he didn't give up a sack.

However, the story is that Ben Jones lost the RG spot because he wasn't strong enough. Brooks comes into camp & he's stronger than he was last year. Chris Myers is even looking stronger than last year.

From left to right our starting OL is made of big men, but none of them are "fat"... save Ben Jones. Like 76, I'm not ready to give up on him because he's got a certain gritty tenacity that's hard to come by, he's going to do the best job he possibly can. But I don't think he has that drive (yet) to be the best he possibly can be.

I'm pretty sure Quiz wasn't in with the first group.
But really, I was looking beyond that.
I want to see of this guy can perform an efficient cut block, or he is good at the second level, etc.
If he's good at the POA; if he can perform a seal block.
Plenty of stuff to watch.

I have been intrigued with the blockings for quite a while and I appreciate them guys much. They have no glory, only blame.

He and Jones appear to have alternated series. Jones started and Quess came in the next series

In case you didn't hear, Saints have lost Will Smith for the year - ACL.
Damn that sucks for any team, and gotta feel real bad for the player, but
it just shows what can happen to a guys whole season, maybe a career, on a single play.

NFLN replaying the game at 7:00 pm tonight.

Whaddayaknow... the Texans with a primetime replay.

Whodda thunkit?

Back