Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Post Game Week 1: Working it out.. my frustration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 and 8. Number of carries for the top two rb’s in a game close for 3 quarters. This week, those numbers need to be at least 18 and 12 if we are going to win. Gotta pound the rock, and hopefully have at least middling success. That will better setup the play action stuff. Also gotta be smarter. Noah Brown taking a swing pass behind the line of scrimmage makes no sense. If you must use that play, it’s gotta be #3.

be smarter in play calling
Run the rock
Cut down on untimely penalties on offense
Better communication upfront
Lastly - plays need to come in quicker

It’s a lot, but if they can improve in these areas they have a good shot at a W.
I'm all for shortening the game. But with the thrown together OL what do you expect

And how about this, not only was it a 17-yd sack, but also lost the chance at a cheap FG.
And what else?
Fumbling the ball away.
Things happen.

I've seen Mahomie retreat a dozen times & got out of 10 of them to make a positive play.

I've seen Cj do it three times before last week & didn't get out of one of them.

One of these two guys should continue to do what he's doing. The other, needs to stay in his lane.

I've seen Mahomie retreat a dozen times & got out of 10 of them to make a positive play.

I've seen Cj do it three times before last week & didn't get out of one of them.

One of these two guys should continue to do what he's doing. The other, needs to stay in his lane.
That's not the point.
I had brought up video clips of several well-known QBs that were sacked in a similarly manner, including the now-aging Rodgers.
The sack likely will finish his career.
But QBs have that tendency, especially the more mobile ones.
Guys like Schaub or Brady would be too slow and had no choice but to eat it.

Here's another for you. The great John Elway

Here's dumb Montana taking a safety rather than throwing the ball away.

Now, I don't encourage QBs to make a bad situation worse, I'm just saying that there are situations where it can't be help, and the QB's instinct takes over.
That was one of them.

On a side note, Stroud was 2 out 3 in scrambling situation in PS week 1, so your statement is incorrect.

There were other instances after that game, too.

Weird, because I recall him doing it a few times. Are we not watching the same sport or is your memory omitting parts of itself so you can try to prove your own point? You know they find this same type of behavior in certain... Actually I won't finish that.

Weird, because I recall him doing it a few times. Are we not watching the same sport or is your memory omitting parts of itself so you can try to prove your own point? You know they find this same type of behavior in certain... Actually I won't finish that.
My point is if it works out negatively more than not he needs to stop doing it. Do you disagree?

I complimented him for improving in that respect this last game. My statement you've taken issue with excludes last weeks game because of it.

I would agree to disagree...
Mills has had 2 YEARS of continuity w/ his oline...this line hasnt had one GAME of continuity with CJ behind center.
Mills had 11/2 years with an OL much inferior to what the Texans currently have, even with all the injuries

Mills had 11/2 years with an OL much inferior to what the Texans currently have, even with all the injuries
whether u think they are inferior means nothing...they had "1 1/2 years" of playing together. They knew their strengths, weaknesses, and a familiarity with play calling and cadence

Last years OL would have given up at least 7 sacks, but we can agree to disagree
First game Mills was sacked 3 times vs Colts
Second game 3 sacks vs Broncos
Third game 1 sack vs Bears
Fourth game 1 sack vs Chargers
Fifth game 1 sack vs Jaguars
6th game 1 sack vs Raiders
7th game 3 sacks vs Titans
8th game 3 sacks vs Eagles
9th game 4 sacks vs Giants
10th game 5 sacks vs Commanders
11th game 5 sacks vs Dolphins
12th game no sacks vs Browns
13th game no sacks vs Cowboys ( best pass rush in the NFL in check.
14th game 1 sacks vs Chiefs.
15th game 1 sack vs Titans
16th game 2 sacks vs Jaguars
17th game 1 sack vs Colts

As you can see we only gave 5 sacks twice and that happened in the 10th and 11th games. We didn’t give up a sack to the Cowboys who pass rush was lethal AF.

That offensive line we put out there last week wasn’t better than last years.

But hey if you believe so, more power to you JB.

As you can see we only gave 5 sacks twice and that happened in the 10th and 11th games. We didn’t give up a sack to the Cowboys who pass rush was lethal AF.

Not one game did they give up 7 sacks.

Not 1 time did any QB attempt 44 passes last year. But if you think the IOL of Green, Quessenberry and McCray was better than what we saw last week then we have nothing to discuss

Not 1 time did any QB attempt 44 passes last year. But if you think the IOL of Green, Quessenberry and McCray was better than what we saw last week then we have nothing to discuss
What does that have to do with anything. That make shift line wasn’t better period. I just showed you how many sacks were given up in each game. And you right we don’t have squat to talk about if you think that crap we had out there last week was better. I see if we actually had our starters out there. Then yeah it would’ve been better.

What does that have to do with anything. That make shift line wasn’t better period. I just showed you how many sacks were given up in each game. And you right we don’t have squat to talk about if you think that crap we had out there last week was better. I see if we actually had our starters out there. Then yeah it would’ve been better.
None of those teams last year blitzed as much as the Ravens did either. The extra dropbacks are more opportunities for sacks. Discounting the sack allowed when Deiter went in at RT for one play, they gave up 4, That's not terrible against the pressure Baltimore was bringing. Not saying they were good, but they were better than the atrocious line of last year

you have to figure there was a rookie QB starting his first game on the road. That's a factor. Sacks are partially because the QB didn't get the ball out of his hands.

personally I don't understand what we're trying to argue.... it's like the tallest midget thing y'know. No matter who's right, we're still talking about a midget. No offense to the little folk out there.

Reactions: JB
Sad fact…..good chance the Texans will need to make the OL a priority in 2024 as well.

Texans have the following OL becoming UFA at seasons end:
OT- Fant
OT- Jones
OG- Heck
OG- Scaife
OC- Quessenberry
OC- Sutherland

Are any of these guys going to be worth re-signing?

Projected OL if the group could stay healthy for 2024:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Green
OC- Scruggs or Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Howard

I’d approach 2024 looking for veteran starters who could step in or start if this group can’t stay on the field.

Sad fact…..good chance the Texans will need to make the OL a priority in 2024 as well.

OT- Fant
OT- Jones
OG- Heck
OG- Scaife
OC- Quessenberry
OC- Sutherland

LT- Tunsil
LG- Green
OC- Scruggs or Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Howard

I’d approach 2024 looking for veteran starters who could step in or start if this group can’t stay on the field.

They need to get healthy so the team can evaluate how big a need OL is in 2024. I expect Josh Jones to earn a second contract with the team. Whether he gets starter money or backup depends on his play. I hope he earns the starting LG job when it’s all said and done. If Green returns he could compete for it. Green cannot be relied on as an unquestioned starter with his injury history.

Hopefully Patterson continues to stay healthy and gain experience. Then the team can have a competition between two promising rookies for that center job with the loser being a quality backup.

OT- Fant
OT- Jones
OG- Heck
OG- Scaife
OC- Quessenberry
OC- Sutherland

LT- Tunsil
LG- Green
OC- Scruggs or Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Howard

1st group, maybe Jones.

Starters based on today, green may be on the roster but I personally would move Patterson to the starter at left guard. I would also draft Cooper Beebe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back