Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Post Game Week 1: Working it out.. my frustration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We know offense takes longer to get it together and o line is not playing guys suppose to start but dang if you are practice squad you should make basic plays.
Refs horrible! Yeah, blame refs is not a way I like to go but sheesh.

Has anyone seen our OC? I think he must-have missed the plane.

Robert Woods better than i thought.

Fant should be cut.
Deiter needs an apology for being out at RT.

WA keeps his play up, he'd DROY.

Eager to see Pattersons eval at center.

More later.

Stroud is level-headed and will get better with time.

Woods is better than advertised and Collins/Tank look to be good support.

Offensive play calling needs some work, but should improve game to game.

Pitre is missed as is Ward.

Injuries and lack of experience are holding us back. These things will level out as the season progresses.

Great draft picks with Stroud/Anderson. They are our future.

We know offense takes longer to get it together and o line is not playing guys suppose to start but dang if you are practice squad you should make basic plays.
Refs horrible! Yeah, blame refs is not a way I like to go but sheesh.

Has anyone seen our OC? I think he must-have missed the plane.

Robert Woods better than i thought.

Fant should be cut.
Deiter needs an apology for being out at RT.

WA keeps his play up, he'd DROY.

Eager to see Pattersons eval at center.

More later.
Our OC was there, but he’s no McDaniels or Kubiak Jr.

Barely any team is going to cope with the kind of losses we have to our on-line, let alone a team with a rookie HC, OC and QB all in their first games.

Some definite positives from the D, where Anderson look good, although Stingley did not. Stroud certainly did not look out of his depth despite limited protection and once he's not running for his life could become a quality player.

The defense has the potential to be really good.

Stroud had a decent showing in a hostile environment with little protection and defenders chasing him all day.

OC play calling is suspect. Didn't see anything different from what have seen from previous OCs.

Injuries are hurting us a lot.

Overall it was a decent showing.

Defense was really good and mostly was just put into bad spots by the offense not converting 4th downs. Goal line defense needs work for sure.

Offense? It was often times offensive. O-line an obvious cluster-youknowhat which was further exacerbated by the refs making some really ticky tack calls like both of Tunsil's and the one where Jones got called for holding when he almost more embarassingly got run over. Overall the o-line could still become serviceable while they wait for Scruggs and Howard to get healthy. With the Fant injury they ended up with the O-line I wanted to start the game anyway although I really hope someone asks why Deiter came in at RT because that was beyond stupid.

I'd expect improvements to be made especially the offenses execution and I'm already looking forward to facing Indy.

Hope that Pitre's injury isn't serious.

Overall it was a decent showing.

Defense was really good and mostly was just put into bad spots by the offense not converting 4th downs. Goal line defense needs work for sure.

Offense? It was often times offensive. O-line an obvious cluster-youknowhat which was further exacerbated by the refs making some really ticky tack calls like both of Tunsil's and the one where Jones got called for holding when he almost more embarassingly got run over. Overall the o-line could still become serviceable while they wait for Scruggs and Howard to get healthy. With the Fant injury they ended up with the O-line I wanted to start the game anyway although I really hope someone asks why Deiter came in at RT because that was beyond stupid.

I'd expect improvements to be made especially the offenses execution and I'm already looking forward to facing Indy.

Hope that Pitre's injury isn't serious.
Also on offense why were all our screens and swing plays going to our slowest receivers like Brown and Woods instead of Collins and Dell? That looked like some real OB style dumb **** that I hope we do away with. Some classic OB, "they'll never expect it" type BS that never works.

One thing we know for sure….the multiple OL unit(s) that hit the field today probably had little to no time working together versus the D1 in practice much less breaking in as a unit versus the Ravens defense.

They’ll have the upcoming week to get the projected starting unit some time together before the Colts roll into town. My projected OL next week:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Deiter or Broeker
OC- Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Fant

Also on offense why were all our screens and swing plays going to our slowest receivers like Brown and Woods instead of Collins and Dell? That looked like some real OB style dumb **** that I hope we do away with. Some classic OB, "they'll never expect it" type BS that never works.
Pre- game I heard that pearce had lost weight in order to be a better receiver. How did that work out?

One thing we know for sure….the multiple OL unit(s) that hit the field today probably had little to no time working together versus the D1 in practice much less breaking in as a unit versus the Ravens defense.

They’ll have the upcoming week to get the projected starting unit some time together before the Colts roll into town. My projected OL next week:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Deiter or Broeker
OC- Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Fant
I'd rather get out the unit we ended with where Deiter plays LG and Jones plays RT.

OL depth and play calling were big issues in this one. OL should be OK when they get healthy. Play calling? Who knows?

Run game was non-existent but how much of that do you put on the OL? 49 pass plays to 23 run plays is not what you’re hoping to see much of.

I thought the game slowed down for Stroud as the game progressed. He didn’t look in over his head as far as I could tell. I think it only gets better the more experience he gets.

Nico with 6 for 80. More of that please. Collins and Woods each had double digit targets. So I like that CJ is not focusing on 1 guy. 10 different players caught a pass, including Stroud completing one to himself.

Defense seems to still have an issue tackling, but overall I thought they played well. Ravens still had 110 yards rushing but they weren’t gashing the Texans like has been the norm the last 2 years.

Think I’m really going to like Anderson.

Lots of penalties that need to get cleaned up.

I don’t get the frustration.

First game of the season with rookie HC, OC and QB. Injured Oline that reminds me of the 2011(?) QB carousel that we went through 5-6 QBs.

If you went into this game with high expectations that’s on you.

I just want to see progress and work out the kinks every week. By mid season we will see a clearer picture of this team but we still have a long way to go.

I am more frustrated that the Browns beat the Bengals. WTF.

OL depth and play calling were big issues in this one. OL should be OK when they get healthy. Play calling? Who knows?

Run game was non-existent but how much of that do you put on the OL? 49 pass plays to 23 run plays is not what you’re hoping to see much of.

I thought the game slowed down for Stroud as the game progressed. He didn’t look in over his head as far as I could tell. I think it only gets better the more experience he gets.

Nico with 6 for 80. More of that please. Collins and Woods each had double digit targets. So I like that CJ is not focusing on 1 guy. 10 different players caught a pass, including Stroud completing one to himself.

Defense seems to still have an issue tackling, but overall I thought they played well. Ravens still had 110 yards rushing but they weren’t gashing the Texans like has been the norm the last 2 years.

Think I’m really going to like Anderson.

Lots of penalties that need to get cleaned up.
Agreed with nearly everything, defense giving up 110 rushing yards to a team with Lamar Jackson as QB counts as a big win for me tbh, especially with the good oline the Ravens have. Any other team that's probably 70-80 yards we give up.

A couple questionable calls, and the refs in general were flag happy on both teams, but bitching about refs in this game is weak sauce. That’s such a loser’s mentality. I hope that kind of thinking doesn’t exist inside the building.

They lost because they were the 2nd best team on the field today. I had 27-10 as my prediction which was spot on. The game played out almost exactly as I expected.

Slowik is more of an issue than I hoped. He needs to get his **** together. Ryans and the 4th down calls didn’t help matters, but if my HC is going to err, I prefer he err on the side of aggressiveness instead of turtling up like most of our previous HC’s. Lovie and Pep would have had an ultra conservative game plan designed to lose by less. They would call that a win. Meco wants to win.

All in all, I still see 6 wins, five or take one. Right on track guys.

A couple questionable calls, and the refs in general were flag happy on both teams, but bitching about refs in this game is weak sauce. That’s such a loser’s mentality. I hope that kind of thinking doesn’t exist inside the building.

They lost because they were the 2nd best team on the field today. I had 27-10 as my prediction which was spot on. The game played out almost exactly as I expected.

Slowik is more of an issue than I hoped. He needs to get his **** together. Ryans and the 4th down calls didn’t help matters, but if my HC is going to err, I prefer he err on the side of aggressiveness instead of turtling up like most of our previous HC’s. Lovie and Pep would have had an ultra conservative game plan designed to lose by less. They would call that a win. Meco wants to win.

I'm actually more optimistic about the win total considering how awful some of our future opponents looked.

Our operation wasn't clean especially offensively, but some future opponents looked horrendous team wide.

First game of the season with rookie HC, OC and QB. Injured Oline that reminds me of the 2011(?) QB carousel that we went through 5-6 QBs.

I just want to see progress and work out the kinks every week. By mid season we will see a clearer picture of this team but we still have a long way to go.

Nailed it !
Yea I'm relieved that they didn't need to carry CJ out on a stretcher, and you know what he actually looked pretty nimble on a couple of those scrambles, he was down right elusive so I think he might be a better athlete than what we first thought.
He missed some wide open receivers but also made some real accurate throws, so all in all it was a good debut for our new franchise QB IMO.
And the defense did look good, damn good at times.

In order for any bad team to beat a quality team several things has to happen.
1. You have to play pretty much a perfect game. We had too many penalties that were momentum killers.
2. Offensive play calling has to be very solid. The game planning for the offense was very suspect. You have a rookie quarterback and a make shift line. OC has to go into this game with the mindset of establishing the run to set up the pass. You had the momentum going into the half and you start off the second half trying to be cute. Run the dang ball.
3. Referees has to call a clean game. The Ravens shouldn’t need any help from the officials period. There were so many bad calls against the Texans. Mission accomplished by the league and it’s officiating.
4. We have to score touchdowns, you can win sometimes with FG’s. But that’s very rare.
5. We need lady health on our side. Injuries are killing this team before it actually gets started.

Last edited:

I agree with you on the Browns' game but you do not have to have high expectations of the Texans to have frustration. Of course, we knew what the offensive line was made up of but still they are NFL players and should at least play like they belong on the field and not with cheerleaders.

I am frustrated that Texans again came out of halftime befuddled. Should they not have had at least one good series beginning 3rd quarter?

Did you see one good run behind Tunsil/Jones? Not high expectations just a few runs in that direction?

With Ryans and a DC is it high expectations to think one could have called time out seeing Roquan in possible delayed blitz? Or have told Pearce to stay in to block?

My main frustration is with slowik and his play calling...yes there were a lot of things that pissed me off about this one...but realistically I figured we would lose this one and think it could have been a different game if we dont give them a short field twice and we actually had a starting Oline out there.
I was expecting a more run heavy w/ quick slants game plan...got nothing near the sort. An incredible weapon in Dell went wasted and unused for the most part, and ALL OF THOSE SLOW DEVELOPING PLAYS NEED TO BE RIPPED OUT OF THE PLAYBOOK AND BURNED.
Defense should up and played very well...but they need rest too...the days of iron man football are long gone, and they were on the field A TON....they need a breather every once in a while.

Slowik is more of an issue than I hoped. He needs to get his **** together. Ryans and the 4th down calls didn’t help matters, but if my HC is going to err, I prefer he err on the side of aggressiveness instead of turtling up like most of our previous HC’s. Lovie and Pep would havaAe had an ultra conservative game plan designed to lose by less. They would call that a win. Meco wants to win.

Anything or anyone on the field that impact game is open to question and discussion. No one is saying refs cost the game but if you saw only a couple calls, I question you.
If a fan ran onto field and tackled Stroud, I would discuss and be frustrated with security.

Lovie and Pep are gone and I don't want to use them in comparison to be "better" than.

Yes, Texans are right where most expected and that frustrates me. I wanted to see Fant better than I expected; basic tackling better. Better running by Pearce and Singletary even with this line.

I am not focused on wins but improved play and I expect to see that game two.

I wasnt frustrated at all watching the game. Lots of promise out there. Tough situation for this teams first game and they werent embarrassed.

Wasnt perfect but they have lots of good things to build off of.
They do have good things to build off of yet now I am not as optimistic that Ryans and Slowik can do it. Not down on them but next game needs to offer improvement in several areas.

I agree with you on the Browns' game but you do not have to have high expectations of the Texans to have frustration. Of course, we knew what the offensive line was made up of but still they are NFL players and should at least play like they belong on the field and not with cheerleaders.

I am frustrated that Texans again came out of halftime befuddled. Should they not have had at least one good series beginning 3rd quarter?

Did you see one good run behind Tunsil/Jones? Not high expectations just a few runs in that direction?

With Ryans and a DC is it high expectations to think one could have called time out seeing Roquan in possible delayed blitz? Or have told Pearce to stay in to block?

IMO you shouldn’t have expected anything from our current OL where most of it is youth or cast offs from other teams due to injuries. Without a decent OL I never expected good running outside of RB heroics. Just my two cents.

I don't see how. He's going to be bandaiding his OL for the next 4 weeks at least. He's going to have to keep it simple & that's not going to help the run game & that's not going to help our young QB.
Yep, putting oline players in correct spots should help.
I'm concerned they will again rush Tytus back in game 5. Play him some but only to knock off rust.

IMO you shouldn’t have expected anything from our current OL where most of it is youth or cast offs from other teams due to injuries. Without a decent OL I never expected good running outside of RB heroics. Just my two cents.
Did you expect more than 3 completions to TE and two of those to Schultz for..
Wait for it.. four yards?

Tunsil multi probowler did good. Josh Jones LG not a cast off. Patterson played as I expected but I know him from Notre Dame and I did expect OC to call more plays to that side.

Didn't see the game as I'm visiting with family in Au but is educational reading the thoughts of the savvy regulars in here.
Keep it up friends.

Anything or anyone on the field that impact game is open to question and discussion. No one is saying refs cost the game but if you saw only a couple calls, I question you.
If a fan ran onto field and tackled Stroud, I would discuss and be frustrated with security.

Lovie and Pep are gone and I don't want to use them in comparison to be "better" than.

Yes, Texans are right where most expected and that frustrates me. I wanted to see Fant better than I expected; basic tackling better. Better running by Pearce and Singletary even with this line.

I am not focused on wins but improved play and I expect to see that game two.

on the hold on Tunsil the camera is pointed at Tunsil’s back. No I didn’t see holding. It doesn’t mean there wasn’t one. I couldn’t see his hands. Did you have X-ray vision and see his hands?

on the PI on Sting, sorry to disappoint you but that was a PI. He didn’t look back in time. Agreed that it was one of those judgement calls that can go either way, but was it a legit PI call? Yes 100%.

what else do you want to ***** about form the ref’s?

on the PI on Sting, sorry to disappoint you but that was a PI. He didn’t look back in time.
I don't think it was about that. Before they put their hands up, the WR turned and went for the ball, Stingley ran into him. By the time they got their hands up Stingley was in position & that shouldn't have been called a PI. But the contact had already occurred. Definitely a PI

OBJ is actually falling down by the time they got their hands up.

The officiating was so bad they called a hold on Jones as he was falling. :smiliepalm:

You mean while he was falling AND pulling his opponent down with him? Dude hate to break it to you. That’s holding all day, every day. That’s why he was flagged for it.

Did anyone here not expect the ravens to cover?

Most people have covered the newness of everything texans we had today but I expected worse to he honest.

Move on to next week.

Gonna be a long year.

We are in year 3 of the rebuild

Did anyone here not expect the ravens to cover?

Most people have covered the newness of everything texans we had today but I expected worse to he honest.

Move on to next week.

Gonna be a long year.

We are in year 3 of the rebuild
Year 3??? Wow, when did u start ur clock??? I started mine the day we hired Demeco Ryans...if you expected something out of Culley and Lovie then thats on you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back