Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Post Draft 53 Man Roster Prediction (2023)

only two players remain from Caserios first Texan draft class? Nico Collins and Davis Mills.

They got a starting WR who's currently the WR1 and a solid backup QB (Dont care what anybody says Mills is a fine backup QB.) Decent return for a draft with no 1st-2nd rd picks. Still wish Caserio had drafted Mienertz but understand the Mills pick.

They got a starting WR who's currently the WR1 and a solid backup QB (Dont care what anybody says Mills is a fine backup QB.) Decent return for a draft with no 1st-2nd rd picks. Still wish Caserio had drafted Mienertz but understand the Mills pick.
People are crazy if they don't think Mills is at least a solid backup QB. He's in the upper tier league wide in my opinion plus with development room to grow as well.

QB: C.J. Stroud — Davis Mills — Case Keenum
RB: Dameon Pierce — Devin Singletary — Mike Boone — Dare Ogunbowale
FB: Andrew Beck
WR: Robert Woods — John Metchie III — Nico Collins — Tank Dell — Xavier Hutchinson — Noah Brown
TE: Dalton Schultz — Teagan Quitoriano — Brevin Jordan
OL: Laremy Tunsil — Jarrett Patterson — Juice Scruggs — Shaq Mason — Tytus Howard — Josh Jones — George Fant — Kendrick Green

DL: Will Anderson Jr. — Jonathan Greenard — Jerry Hughes — Dylan Horton — Kurt Hinish — Derek Rivers — Maliek Collins — Hassan Ridgeway — Sheldon Rankins
LB: Denzel Perryman — Jake Hansen — Henry To’oTo’o — Christian Harris — Blake Cashman — Neville Hewitt
DB: Jimmie Ward — Tavierre Thomas — Jalen Pitre — Shaq Griffin — Steven Nelson — Eric Murray — Derek Stingley Jr. — Grayland Arnold — M.J. Stewart — Ka’dar Hollman

P: Cameron Johnston
K: Ka'imi Fairbairn
LS: Jon Weeks

IR: Kenyon Green
Waived/injured: Roy Lopez, Keaton Sutherland
PUP: Charlie Heck
Acquired via trade: Kendrick Green

Released: Rashad Coward, Byron Cowart, Michael Deiter, Adam Humphries, Desmond King, Christian Kirksey, Cory Littleton, Jacob Martin, D’Angelo Ross, Mason Schreck, Steven Sims, Eric Tomlinson, Nick Vannett, Chase Winovich

Waived: Tyler Beach, Thomas Booker, Jalen Camp, Cameron Dantzler, Khalil Davis, Austin Deculus, Gerrid Doaks, Cobi Francis, Ali Gaye, Brandon Hill, Johnny Johnson III, Darius Joiner, Dalton Keene, Jimmy Morrissey, Jordan Murray, Adedayo Odeleye, E.J. Perry, Larry Rountree, Garret Wallow, Jared Wayne, Ty Zentner

Biggest surprise to me is Deiter being cut when the team has so many issues with injury on the OL. Down three starters before opening day and you cut the guy who was starting your final preseason game?! Surprising to say the least. Hopefully the team hits on a diamond in the rough or three whether it be Josh Jones, Jamal Patterson or Kendrick Green.

I expect the team to elevate PS players to game day rosters until Scruggs is healthy to play. I’d hate to see them force him out there on opening day and have reoccuring injuries like so many other Texans before him.

He's honestly a perfectly fine backup safety. He was just overpaid and was overrated by OB.
Actually, no, he's not very good at all. I won't count his stats last year since he only had 3 targets thrown his way because he only played 10% of the snaps on D, down from 70% and 98% 2 years prior, but in those 2 years he's had a passer rating against of 101.6 and 134.5. He had an 80% completion rate against 2 years ago on 70 targets, and a 14.5% missed tackle rate.

Backup for sure. Perfectly fine. Nah. JAG

Actually, no, he's not very good at all. I won't count his stats last year since he only had 3 targets thrown his way because he only played 10% of the snaps on D, down from 70% and 98% 2 years prior, but in those 2 years he's had a passer rating against of 101.6 and 134.5. He had an 80% completion rate against 2 years ago on 70 targets, and a 14.5% missed tackle rate.

Backup for sure. Perfectly fine. Nah. JAG
I mean to be blunt most backup safeties are JAGs lets be real here

I’d expect a TE and OL to be claimed on waivers today. Defense looks set numbers-wise. I’m not too sure there’s an upgrade the team would look for but i’d be interested if they claim someone to get more insight into DeMeco’s roster-building philosophy.

All in all my projected roster had some hits and misses. I think next season have to take more into account practice squad elevations and how that impacts how many they carry. EX: Texans currently at 6 WRs because they don’t want to risk losing any to waivers. But only 8 OL. Can elevate someone to PS for game day then have them revert back to PS if no team claims them.

He's being paid like a starter.
Yeah and if the team really needed that 3 mil in cap space then cut his ass.

Otherwise I'm not sweating it.

At the end of the day he makes basically as much as Cam Johnston. He's overpaid in terms of his actual value to the team as he's a backup but not in a % of the cap he takes up sense.

Im really hoping we get Deiter back. As bad as it sounds having him back would make me feel better about the oline situation for the first couple weeks
I agree. The guys that they have picked up recently may be better than what they had. But week 1 is right in front of them, and they need the familiarity of Deiter.

It’s not a decent return at all, but what I do like and commend Caserio is for cutting bait when they don’t work out instead of carrying pride and unwarranted hope tying up valuable roster spots too long 👍

It’s not a decent return at all, but what I do like and commend Caserio is for cutting bait when they don’t work out instead of carrying pride and unwarranted hope tying up valuable roster spots too long 👍
What were your expectations?

Mine was to find a couple of good players out of that draft.

What were your expectations?

Mine was to find a couple of good players out of that draft.
You know my expectations are always through the roof. Only year I never did a Texan Mock Draft, was just done with them. But sure if I wanted could pull up a Charger Mock from same draft, delete first two rounds and post.

Did not receive 2nd 3rd but here was real time simulation-
Round Three

65. LAC wu-dai clan fr JAX Jevon Holland S Oregon
66. LAC wu-dai clan fr NYJ Landon Dickerson OG Bama
67. HOU Texanbeerlover Payton Turner DE Houston
68. ATL Formula 21 Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma State
69. NO wu-dai clan fr CIN Jabril Cox LB LSU
70. PHI 21&500 Nick Bolton LB Missouri
71. DEN beachcomber Alim McNeill DT NC State
72. DET Critty Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa
73. CAR Fleet Davis Mills QB Stanford
Round Four

106. LAC wu-dai clan fr JAX Hamilcar Rashed, Jr EDGE Oregon State
107. NYJ Bolt Dude Hunter Long TE Boston College
108. ATL Formula 21 Chris Rumph II OLB Duke
109. HOU Texanbeerlover Amon-Ra St. Brown WR USC

Board lost interest so that was it. Realize Payton Turner hasn’t amounted to much, but high traits, premium position, ended up going first round in actual draft to Saints, so there was value added. Amon-Ra St. Brown is rising borderline star.

You know my expectations are always through the roof. Only year I never did a Texan Mock Draft, was just done with them. But sure if I wanted could pull up a Charger Mock from same draft, delete first two rounds and post.

Did not receive 2nd 3rd but here was real time simulation-
Round Three

65. LAC wu-dai clan fr JAX Jevon Holland S Oregon
66. LAC wu-dai clan fr NYJ Landon Dickerson OG Bama
67. HOU Texanbeerlover Payton Turner DE Houston
68. ATL Formula 21 Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma State
69. NO wu-dai clan fr CIN Jabril Cox LB LSU
70. PHI 21&500 Nick Bolton LB Missouri
71. DEN beachcomber Alim McNeill DT NC State
72. DET Critty Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa
73. CAR Fleet Davis Mills QB Stanford
Round Four

106. LAC wu-dai clan fr JAX Hamilcar Rashed, Jr EDGE Oregon State
107. NYJ Bolt Dude Hunter Long TE Boston College
108. ATL Formula 21 Chris Rumph II OLB Duke
109. HOU Texanbeerlover Amon-Ra St. Brown WR USC

Board lost interest so that was it. Realize Payton Turner hasn’t amounted to much, but high traits, premium position, ended up going first round in actual draft to Saints, so there was value added. Amon-Ra St. Brown is rising borderline star.

I miss the mock with the old timers, many of whom no longer post here. Go back and checkout some of the old names. Some very knowledgeable draftniks. Good times.

Glad to see Jake Hansen earn a spot on the active roster. He was thought to be a “Lovie guy” since he was a captain for his Illinois teams and brought over as a UDFA. But if he earned a spot on DeMeco’s team there could be some upside here.

It’s not a question of if the LBs play well, it’s a matter of who will emerge to be the next stud LB(s) on a DeMeco defense.

Back