Thanks for your support!

Poll - win total/reasons for optimism

How many Texans wins in '23?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
He has never called a game in his life; think about that for a moment.
I thought about it, then looked at some current play callers initial attempts at the job.

2016 Eagles - Doug Pederson was a 1st year HC with a rookie QB (#2 pick overall Carson Wentz). Doug had been a OC, but had not called plays under Andy Reid. The Eagles finished with the #22 offense.

2020 Texans - Timmy Kelly was a 1st year play caller in 2020, though held the title of OC in 2019. The Texans finished 13th in offense, as they had the previous season.

2020 Chargers - Steve Steichen was in his first year as full time OC and play caller, though he was both on an interim basis for part of the 2019 season for San Diego. The Chargers finished 9th in total offense, up one spot from the previous season, while a roookie QB was under center for the duration of the year.

Yes, these are the other AFC South play callers for 2023. I did not see any serious issues in regards to their initial year as play callers. Two of these coaches also had rookie QBs starting. As long as Bobby Slowik is up to the job, I don't see any reason this offense cannot play to its potential in 2023. What that potential is remains to be determined. I can see a 2016 Eagles type performance as a baseline.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
5 from LAST year. Nobody knows how it plays out this year. Example, are the Jets a playoff team now? Does Payton improve Denver? 7 teams made the playoffs last year that didn't the year before. Of course that also means 7 playoff teams from 2021 did NOT make the playoffs last year. So I don't get too hung up on strength of schedule from the year before.
I'm not hung up on schedules at all, but the Texans are just as capable of pulling a quick turnaround under DeMeco as any other team out there that's done it.

Any given year, any given Sunday.

They just have to win the AFC South, which have no powerhouse franchises like KC, Philly, San Fran, Cin, Buff, or Balt. As bad as the Texans were last season, none of the AFC South teams were able to sweep them.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm not hung up on schedules at all, but the Texans are just as capable of pulling a quick turnaround under DeMeco as any other team out there that's done it.

Any given year, any given Sunday.

They just have to win the AFC South, which have no powerhouse franchises like KC, Philly, San Fran, Cin, Buff, or Balt. As bad as the Texans were last season, none of the AFC South teams were able to sweep them.
I don’t disagree with any of that. Just saying the strength of schedule stuff doesn’t mean jack.

And the same teams Texan fans have circled as W’s, those teams fans have the Texans circled.

That said, I legit think the Texans could get 3-4 wins just out of the division this year. Then there’s Atlanta, Carolina, Arizona. That gets you to 6 or 7 if the ball bounces right.

Heard someone on the radio say today that rookie QBs don’t typically win a bunch of games. Wasn’t able to do much research on it but what little I did, Luck was the only one I found that did. Tua went 6-3 but only started 9 games. So my 6-8 win pre-preseason prediction might be right at the threshold if not a little too high.

But we’ll see. The schedule does look light as far as projecting what those teams do, just like we’re trying to project the Texans, but again, it’s a whole new season for everybody.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I thought about it, then looked at some current play callers initial attempts at the job.

2016 Eagles - Doug Pederson was a 1st year HC with a rookie QB (#2 pick overall Carson Wentz). Doug had been a OC, but had not called plays under Andy Reid. The Eagles finished with the #22 offense.

2020 Texans - Timmy Kelly was a 1st year play caller in 2020, though held the title of OC in 2019. The Texans finished 13th in offense, as they had the previous season.

2020 Chargers - Steve Steichen was in his first year as full time OC and play caller, though he was both on an interim basis for part of the 2019 season for San Diego. The Chargers finished 9th in total offense, up one spot from the previous season, while a roookie QB was under center for the duration of the year.

Yes, these are the other AFC South play callers for 2023. I did not see any serious issues in regards to their initial year as play callers. Two of these coaches also had rookie QBs starting. As long as Bobby Slowik is up to the job, I don't see any reason this offense cannot play to its potential in 2023. What that potential is remains to be determined. I can see a 2016 Eagles type performance as a baseline.
To get to 8 wins, the offense will need to be at least 22nd in points scored unless the Defense is top 10 (with good special team production as expected given how that unit had performed the last two years).

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
First 6 games and the only absolute I see is at the Ravens to kick off the season. If they can stay competitive in the Ravens game, it could provide the momentum for the next 5.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If I read it right, after 48 votes in this poll, TT dwellers are leaning 7+ wins for the season.
That is very doable unless our QB play sucks.
I find it hard to believe Stroud would be on the same level as Mills so I see 7 as the minimum - especially with all the improvements to this team in the off season and it looks like NC is not done yet.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
To get to 8 wins, the offense will need to be at least 22nd in points scored unless the Defense is top 10 (with good special team production as expected given how that unit had performed the last two years).
They will need a top 10 defense even if they finish 22nd in offense. The Saints went 7-10 last year, while having the 22nd offense and the 9th defense. But the Saints expected W/L record was 8-9, due to the Saints being 3-5 in one score games.

Can the Texans have a top 10 defense in 2023? It's more possible than you think. They will have 5 new starters on defense. All upgrades. They will have a new defensive scheme and a coach whose defenses have been in the top 5 for 4 consecutive seasons. And a schedule that has 13 games vs offenses in that finished in the bottom half in 2022. Yes, some of these offenses will improve (Jets). But some won't. And some will improve, and still be bad. Then there are the QBs. For every Aaron Rodgers, there's a Kenny Pickett. For every Lamar Jackson, there's two Anthony Richardsons. Expect a big jump up the rankings for the Texans defense in 2023. Maybe bigger than you think.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Ok I’ll join in on the fun. After looking at the schedule I come away with 9 wins. They don’t have any prime time games. No short weeks. They have only one back to back road games.
I’m predicting a better overall team with a more balanced attack on offense. Should be a very entertaining and exciting season ladies and gents.
9-8 with a possibility of going 10-7
Let’s go Texans!!!

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Each day that goes by I am not swayed off of 7 wins, mainly because of the need to gel. What I expect is that they will end the season strong, but not sure that equates to more than 7 wins. I think this place will go nuts when they can't come close to covering the spread on the opening game against the Ravens.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
They will need a top 10 defense even if the finish 22nd in offense. The Saints went 7-10 last year, while having the 22nd offense and the 9th defense. But the Saints expected W/L record was 8-9, due to the Saints being 3-5 in one score games.

Can the Texans have a top 10 defense in 2023? It's more possible than you think. They will have 5 new starters on defense. All upgrades. They will have a new defensive scheme and a coach whose defenses have been in the top 5 for 4 consecutive seasons. And a schedule that has 13 games vs offenses in that finished in the bottom half in 2022. Yes, some of these offenses will improve (Jets). But some won't. And some will improve, and still be bad. Then there are the QBs. For every Aaron Rodgers, there's a Kenny Pickett. For every Lamar Jackson, there's two Anthony Richardsons. Expect a big jump up the rankings for the Texans defense in 2023. Maybe bigger than you think.
The soft schedule cannot be overstated. Sure the team may be a “paper tiger” . Feasting on the easier teams and getting blown out by the few contenders they play. But its a good start for year 1 under DeMeco. Would be similar to 2021 Eagles, first year with Gannon at DC. They got blown out by the Tom Brady Bucs, but feasted on the Trevor Siemian Saints teams and finished 9-8.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If I read it right, after 48 votes in this poll, TT dwellers are leaning 7+ wins for the season.
That is very doable unless our QB play sucks.
I find it hard to believe Stroud would be on the same level as Mills so I see 7 as the minimum - especially with all the improvements to this team in the off season and it looks like NC is not done yet.
With above avg QB play it should be 9-10. I'm going with 6 and hoping for 10.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
With above avg QB play it should be 9-10. I'm going with 6 and hoping for 10.
I reckon it will all come down to how quickly the players can absorb their playbooks. Ryans will have a first hand knowledge of how daunting that can be so It will likely be basic stuff with just a few curve balls thrown in for a while.
Hopefully the ground game will be awesome so they can lean on it heavily and keep the passing plays to a minimum until they can add more without stuff ups.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I reckon it will all come down to how quickly the players can absorb their playbooks.
Definitely a big part of it. But that's all pre-snap. A lot of assumptions are made about what our team wants to do & what the other team wants to do.

But after the snap, the execution, how the team reacts to the play as it unfolds, is a big component as well.

Missing blocks, Missing tackles, poor timing, bad angles... grr

Reactions: JB

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
You forget playing the Jags the last few years when they were cellar dwellers? They were awful at everything… especially tackling.
The Texans will be a better team than last years team, simply because of DeMeco. I'm not factoring in free agency or the draft. Just saying DeMeco alone brings us a few more wins than we had last year.

If all this talent steps up like we hope, then that's when we can start talking about 8 wins this season.

banned1976

sleeper mode
They will need a top 10 defense even if they finish 22nd in offense. The Saints went 7-10 last year, while having the 22nd offense and the 9th defense. But the Saints expected W/L record was 8-9, due to the Saints being 3-5 in one score games.

For the Texans defense to be ranked in the top ten, they'd be jumping up twenty or more slots. That's not a big jump, that's an enormous one. New players, new schemes, new coaches. Top 10 defense? I'm just not there yet. I need to see evidence in the form of actual games to make that kind of proclamation, or even think about it. I love the optimism though.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For the Texans defense to be ranked in the top ten, they'd be jumping up twenty or more slots
What about top 10 over the first 5 game? Is that possible?

Baltimore Ravens
Baltimore Colts
Okefonokee Jaguars
Smallhands Steelers
AreUserious Falcons

4-1 would go a long way towards unrealistic hopes of a winning season

DanielTx

Veteran
What this knucklehead said ^

8-9 win team with the current roster. Have to remember Texans lost 7 games last season within a single score with Mills leading. Now we’re vastly improved, I expect a turn around, still have a rookie hc qb and oc which is my biggest concern

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
For the Texans defense to be ranked in the top ten, they'd be jumping up twenty or more slots. That's not a big jump, that's an enormous one. New players, new schemes, new coaches. Top 10 defense? I'm just not there yet. I need to see evidence in the form of actual games to make that kind of proclamation, or even think about it. I love the optimism though.
Making tackles at 1st or 2nd contact could in itself improve last seasons defense by 10 slots. Hail, that alone could’ve put 2-3 more victories in the win column last season. I believe the team has made a solid step towards fixing that one major weakness.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Making tackles at 1st or 2nd contact could in itself improve last seasons defense by 10 slots. Hail, that alone could’ve put 2-3 more victories in the win column last season. I believe the team has made a solid step towards fixing that one major weakness.
Adding Perryman and Ward to the starters will make a huge difference in this regard. Also Rankins and Anderson on the DL. All solid tacklers taking jobs away from players who were horrible at tackling.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The Texans will be a better team than last years team, simply because of DeMeco. I'm not factoring in free agency or the draft. Just saying DeMeco alone brings us a few more wins than we had last year.

If all this talent steps up like we hope, then that's when we can start talking about 8 wins this season.
You should factor in free agency and draft because talent matters. I'm as excited about Ryans as anybody but Vince Lombardi in his prime couldn't have done much more with the Texans the last 2 years with the lack of talent here.

The QB room should be better. RB room is better. Better at TE. Though there isn't an established WR1 I think the depth is better than last year. With Mason and a new C, the OL should be better with hopefully Green coming along.

Anderson gives them the threat of a pass rush they've been severely lacking for a while, so that's better. LBs have to prove their worth but I can see some potential there that hasn't been there in the past. Stingley needs to stay healthy, as does anyone for that matter, and I think the secondary looks better simply just having some pressure up front for a change to help out.

No matter who the HC is, he at least is starting to get something to work with now. Where the HC will make a difference is putting that talent in positions to succeed.

mws

Rookie
I'm agreeing with Texansballer74 because I'm feeling more optimistic than I have in years so I'm going with my heart instead of my head & predicting a winning record 9-8. I don't think this is as far fetched as it sounds.

Because of the way the schedule falls the Texans should be as well rested as anyone in the league & with all but one noon game they should be able to get in a good rhythm.

Last season besides the 3 wins the Texans had 1 tie.
Week 01 - Colts - T 20-20

They also had 6 one score losses.

Week 02 - Broncos - L 9-16
Week 03 - Bears - L 20-23
Week 07 - Titans - L 10-17
Week 10 - Giants - L 16-24 (with 2 pt conversion 8 can be considered 1 score)
Week 14 - Cowboys - L 23-27
Week 15 - Chiefs - L 24-30

If they have improved as much as I think they have it is not that big of a stretch to believe that a lot of one score games could go the Texans way.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
Honestly, I think it's just too hard to take a guess. You could point to many reasons for either side.
They could stink because of _______. They could overachieve because of _______.

Again with the comparisons, but my Bengals went 4-11-1 in 2020 and then 10-7 in 2021.
In 2021 10-7 was good enough for 1st place in the AFCN and we went to the Super Bowl.
Maybe in another year 10-7 gets you 2nd place and you don't make the playoffs.
There's more to it than just what the Texans do. Although I know I'm preaching to the choir there.

Lets say 10-7 is the mark. Last year in the AFC there were two 10-7 teams and both made the playoffs.
Heck, the Dolphins and Jags went 9-8 and made the playoffs last year.

Is it unreasonable to think that the Texans could manage another 6 wins over last year?
I wasn't even knee deep in the Texans roster last year and knew they were horrible.
Lovie Smith was a bad hire and the lack of talent was unbelievably bad last year.
Yes there is a lot of new this year, but it's all GOOD new. Last year is was a bag of suck new.

In looking at the Texans and the teams on the schedule, I'm going with the shock the world scenario.
Through their first 6 games to open the season, I have them at 3-3.
Through the next 6 games, I have them at 4-2.
The last 5 games, I have them at 3-2.

That's 10-7 with at least a wild card. So let it be written, so let it be done.
You're welcome !!!

edo783

Hall of Fame
No they shouldn't make the playoffs. The team doesn't have enough talent yet to do that or the experience. Next year with a good draft and a few good off season acquisitions and then they might be in position to win the division or get a wildcard spot. Remember, the rest of the division is also likely to be improving. The question is, who improves the most the soonest.

DanielTx

Veteran
No they shouldn't make the playoffs. The team doesn't have enough talent yet to do that or the experience. Next year with a good draft and a few good off season acquisitions and then they might be in position to win the division or get a wildcard spot. Remember, the rest of the division is also likely to be improving. The question is, who improves the most the soonest.
Not enough talent? They drafted (top 3) top defensive prospects in back to back drafts. They have guys who can take over games on both sides of the ball now. This isn’t a 2-4 win team anymore. They added a culture changer head coach who players are going to give it there all for. We’re looking at a new texans team. It’s a new era. Also this is the Afc south. A bottom 5 division. The texans aren’t worried as I mentioned before, we lost 7 games within a single score with Mills at qb last season. The others in the division should be after our draft and off season moves. Besides jags having Trevor, what makes the colts and titans better than the Texans? We might of drafted an all time qb. We will shock a lot of people this year