Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Poll: Who do Texans take #40?

Pick #40

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
This is the result of substantial research incorporating a combining of NFL.com ratings, CBSSports.com rankings and consensus mock drafts from readers and experts.
I have edited some positions from the list to arrive at these ten - for example, who here thinks we take a RB, QB or WR at #40? The possibility is very low thus I left them off the ten.
There are some highly ranked guys on the list that you think may not be there, but there are always surprises in the draft.
You only get one pick and once you have made your choice, you cannot change it.
You have to vote before you can see the results.
Your choice will be visible to the board.
I'll leave the poll up until the draft.
Hmmm...seems you can make more than one selection even though I checked the one only option.
Please keep it under four.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
I think an edge rusher will have more immediate impact. But I like Julian Okwara of Notre Dame over Lewis. He wasn't on the list so Lewis is my 40B.

I don't think Terrell will be there, but if he is, it will be a tough decision to pass him up

If all three of my guys were to be there, I'd try to trade down.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Not sure why McKinney or Murray are included, unless it's just value picks that may fall.

Of the guys on this list, I'm taking Jaylon Jackson. Of the CBs listed, he's the true press corner the Texans lack. The other guys are just potential superior versions of the players already on the roster. I'm coming off of Lewis. Not a pure edge rusher and that's a bit high to take a run stuffer.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think an edge rusher will have more immediate impact. But I like Julian Okwara of Notre Dame over Lewis. He wasn't on the list so Lewis is my 40B.

I don't think Terrell will be there, but if he is, it will be a tough decision to pass him up

If all three of my guys were to be there, I'd try to trade down.
I didn't think JJohnson or McKinney or Murray would be there but they turned up on my list.
All the other guys that went before them were genuine, solid candidates where they went.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I picked Cesar Ruiz, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think we're going to trade our 2nd, 3rd, & a 5th this year for Terrell Suggs.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Where’s the running back choices? That’s who it’s going to be if O’Brien stays at 40. I just have a bad feeling it’s going to be a RB because O’Brien.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I’m going to propose a new strategy for 2020....lets out score other teams. Fix the OL.

As much as I want Cesar Ruiz to be there at 40....I think he’ll be gone.

OL is going to be the biggest need and the one position that hasn’t been addressed. Sign me up for OG/OT- “Mountain Man” Isiah Wilson, Georgia.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I Gladney is my # 3 CB and I think he's has a chance to be as good as Henderson. He's going to be a long time starter. So give me this guy.

BTW, I'm terrible at evaluating CB's

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m going to propose a new strategy for 2020....lets out score other teams. Fix the OL.

OL is going to be the biggest need and the one position that hasn’t been addressed. Sign me up for OG/OT- “Mountain Man” Isiah Wilson, Georgia.
They (O’Brien the HC/OC/part time GM) tried that last year and for the most part , against relatively (Mahomes wasn’t healthy earlier in the season) it backfired...once in historical fashion.

It looks like O’Brien is following the strategy you’ve suggested. If he drafts an offensive weapon at 40 I’ll know for sure that’s his direction and he has decided playing defense is for the other guys. We may witness a historically bad defense. But it should would be exciting for the opponents fans. Chiefs fans loved the O’Brien strategy.

banned1976

sleeper mode
According to what O’Brien said today the pick will be best available. Any other GM I’d say that’s a smoke screen. I’m standing firm, the Texans are drafting an offensive player in spite of the team needs. WR or RB.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
According to what O’Brien said today the pick will be best available. Any other GM I’d say that’s a smoke screen. I’m standing firm, the Texans are drafting an offensive player in spite of the team needs. WR or RB.
What if best available is a defensive guy?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm thinking it will bpa at any pon.
Except I really can't see RB here - 111 or 131 perhaps.
I'm putting WR back in there as a possibility - too many studs to ignore.
Personally I hope it is a Tackle, then after that CB.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Where’s the running back choices? That’s who it’s going to be if O’Brien stays at 40. I just have a bad feeling it’s going to be a RB because O’Brien.
I think he likes Anthony McFarland but he can be had around 111. I believe he had a visit with us.

OptimisticTexan

Um, it looks like some members have voted multiple times. It seems like you've voted for 3 different players, yourself.

View attachment 5938
Just curious. I really like Cesar Ruiz at the 40 pick but if he was off the board would Isiah Wilson be a viable option?

I didn't vote for Ruiz in this post b/c I've been Mocking him in several drafts but every time I get the feeling he could be there at 40 his name seems to get hot and he's back to being gone in RD1. I'm pretty sure he's going to be gone in RD1, he's just that good.

I think Isiah Wilson is that good as well.....going to be a big wait in RD2 since the Bengals, Colts (no need), Lions, Giants, Chargers, Panthers, and Dolphins are on the board before the Texans. Bengals, Chargers and Dolphins will probably have their future "Franchise QB's" already drafted which means they could be looking for talent to keep them protected. Panthers and Giants have young "Franchise QB's" that need better protection. The Lions have Stafford and it seems like he's been cut from the same piñata cloth as Watson.....only he has far worse luck with injuries......so getting him some help on the OL may be a major desire.

Texans are possibly a piece away from having a very solid and young OL for the next 4+ years. Need Tunsil contract to get done and hopefully Ruiz or Wilson fall to the 40 pick.

mussop

Hall of Fame

I would love Ruiz at center. He would be an upgrade for sure. I just don’t see OB trading Martin. I would love Wilson. Our OL would be so much better if we had a player like Wilson either at RG or move Howard to LG and put Wilson at RT.
All this talk about Watson spreading the ball around now with all these fast receivers would be a lot easier if we had an improved OL and a better running game. Fulton graded out with a 52 PFF grade last year. That’s pretty crappy. Those third and short plays would be a lot more achievable if we added another stud on the OL.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Obrien will go with Fulton one more year thinking Martin and Howard improve which should help Fulton. We can get RG day three who can then start 2021 if he doesn't beat out Fulton.
2.40 AJ Epenesa and I will be revealing surprising 3.90 that should stir up MB. One of you hinted at such a move earlier.

OptimisticTexan

I would love Ruiz at center. He would be an upgrade for sure. I just don’t see OB trading Martin. I would love Wilson. Our OL would be so much better if we had a player like Wilson either at RG or move Howard to LG and put Wilson at RT.
All this talk about Watson spreading the ball around now with all these fast receivers would be a lot easier if we had an improved OL and a better running game. Fulton graded out with a 52 PFF grade last year. That’s pretty crappy. Those third and short plays would be a lot more achievable if we added another stud on the OL.
Ruiz could easily man the RG spot in 2020 while the Texans shake out another season with Martin at Center. Fulton is and should be done with the Texans. His cap saving s alone should be enough to try and trade him.....even for a 2021 pick. Ruiz is considered the top OL talent in the draft but teams will push OT's to the forefront. If Ruiz was on the board at 40, it should be a no-brainer for the Texans to solidify their OL which would pay dividends for the offense as a whole. After looking at some Mocks from overnight, Wilson is going to be a big target for teams that would draft a QB in RD1 and have picks between 33-39. With Tua being a lefty, Wilson's stock goes up as being a probable Day 1 starter at RT.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Obrien will go with Fulton one more year thinking Martin and Howard improve which should help Fulton. We can get RG day three who can then start 2021 if he doesn't beat out Fulton.
2.40 AJ Epenesa and I will be revealing surprising 3.90 that should stir up MB. One of you hinted at such a move earlier.
I hope not we were in the mid to late 20s in both run and pass blocking. Fulton needs to be upgraded. Put another stud in there now and let them grow Together.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Ruiz could easily man the RG spot in 2020 while the Texans shake out another season with Martin at Center. Fulton is and should be done with the Texans. His cap saving s alone should be enough to try and trade him.....even for a 2021 pick. Ruiz is considered the top OL talent in the draft but teams will push OT's to the forefront. If Ruiz was on the board at 40, it should be a no-brainer for the Texans to solidify their OL which would pay dividends for the offense as a whole. After looking at some Mocks from overnight, Wilson is going to be a big target for teams that would draft a QB in RD1 and have picks between 33-39. With Tua being a lefty, Wilson's stock goes up as being a probable Day 1 starter at RT.
Wow I don’t rank Ruiz as high as you. Who has him ranked the best OL in the draft? I think he’s hands downs the best center in this draft but not sure I’d want him starting at G for any Extended Period of time. I want a road grader at RG that can also move over to RT in a pinch. I Just don’t see OB replacing Martin after giving him a new contract Anyway. He seems to be one of OBs pet projects. I agree about Wilson and have felt for awhile now that he will be long gone before 40. I wouldn’t be upset if we took any of the top 8 OTs in this draft at 40. Have a feeling they will all be gone though.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hope not we were in the mid to late 20s in both run and pass blocking. Fulton needs to be upgraded. Put another stud in there now and let them grow Together.
Oh I agree big time but tell me OBrien agrees with us. At some point I have to realize Bill's and my want do not always merge.

OptimisticTexan

Wow I don’t rank Ruiz as high as you. Who has him ranked the best OL in the draft? I think he’s hands downs the best center in this draft but not sure I’d want him starting at G for any Extended Period of time. I want a road grader at RG that can also move over to RT in a pinch. I Just don’t see OB replacing Martin after giving him a new contract Anyway. He seems to be one of OBs pet projects. I agree about Wilson and have felt for awhile now that he will be long gone before 40. I wouldn’t be upset if we took any of the top 8 OTs in this draft at 40. Have a feeling they will all be gone though.
Missed the "I"...should've been IOL. He's a Day 1 starter and he could man C or RG in his first year. I figure Martin's developments period was over at the beginning of the 2019 season....I think we've seen the ceiling on Martin. Fulton is heading down and I doubt his floor hasn't been fully hit yet......and yes, that's scary knowing OB thinks both Martin and Fulton are good to go for this season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Can you envision a scenario where you won't agree with whatever O'Brien does?
Certainly I can, For instance

I would've traded DW4 after last season but BOB loves him some DW4.

As I've said many times before I would fire Devlin.

I wouldn't have hired 2 rookie OC/DC. and if I did I would've atleast interviewed OC/DC's from other teams to get a different knowledge perspective of where the Texans are talentwise and how other orgs do things.

I would've cut Fulton/Kelemte and signed a 10 mil DT like Suh or used it as a down payment on re-signing Reader.

I wouldn't have brought back Carter.

There are many more things I disagree with BOB on like running the ball up the middle so much.

I could go on and on like some posters, but 51-7 says more than I could ever type. The difference between me and some posters is I dont think every single thing BOB does is wrong.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Texans do keep the 40th overall selection in the 2020 draft they won’t find a better corner in the draft later than Jaylon Johnson. My guess, just a guess, another team will trade ahead of Texans selection and target him, thinking best corner on the board and Texans would take him off if given the chance.
What do you think of Johnson having surgery for a torn labrm in his shoulder? He played most of last yr with a bum shoulder.

Picking a CB at 40 with a bum shoulder and ran a 4.54 at the combine is very risky. I like the player though.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Have to get medical opinion from Cloak. Think he should be 100% recovered from injury as directed. He plays a very physical style, think opposite Kevin Johnson but does not go for the kill shots like Lonnie. I’m hoping for more of a Bouye type with more durability, thicker body type and more core strength.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Certainly I can, For instance

I would've traded DW4 after last season but BOB loves him some DW4.

As I've said many times before I would fire Devlin.

I wouldn't have hired 2 rookie OC/DC. and if I did I would've atleast interviewed OC/DC's from other teams to get a different knowledge perspective of where the Texans are talentwise and how other orgs do things.

I would've cut Fulton/Kelemte and signed a 10 mil DT like Suh or used it as a down payment on re-signing Reader.

I wouldn't have brought back Carter.
Other than Carter, those are things Billy Oh hasn't done. Not things he's done.

What's the big deal about Carter? He's not even in the top 51 on the salary cap list (750k)? If he can't make the team, there's zero dead money. Weird thing to call O'Brien out on.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
My dream for 40. Some team offers 2021 1st and 2020 3rd day pick so that team can take the 1st round graded player that is in free fall.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

What's the big deal about Carter? He's not even in the top 51 on the salary cap list (750k)? If he can't make the team, there's zero dead money. Weird thing to call O'Brien out on.
I just gave you things I'm critical of BOB on and would do differently.

If you want to be technical be my guest, but dont expect a reply.

He hired Devlin

mussop

Hall of Fame
Give me Antoine Winfield. Best safety in the draft. Think earl thomas. The only reasons he would fall to us is because of his size and there’s a few really good S in this class and some injury concerns. Not worried about the injuries. He made it through all of last year just fine. he’s exactly what this defense needs. He’s smart, physical and he creates turnovers. Oh yeah and OBs favorites, good teammate and VERSATILE!

OptimisticTexan

Could you change that to......Oh Billy:)

TexanBorn51

Veteran
I picked Ruiz OG going by rankings but if Swift RB is there then it's a pick and Okwara for edge rusher if the others like Lewis etc are not available at round 3. I say when available BPA in order - edge DE, CB, RB, WR Mims or Tee finish off with offense line.

Wolf12339

Waterboy
Dream scenario is every mock draft I've done is for the Texans to trade back to 50-60 Range and pick up another 3rd rounder. Allows you to get 4 good players in the top 111 picks.

I think DL, CB and Safety will have the best value on the board. If you don't pick a CB by pick 111 all the ones I really like are gone. More depth at Edge and DL later in the draft.

Dream

mussop

Hall of Fame
Missed the "I"...should've been IOL. He's a Day 1 starter and he could man C or RG in his first year. I figure Martin's developments period was over at the beginning of the 2019 season....I think we've seen the ceiling on Martin. Fulton is heading down and I doubt his floor hasn't been fully hit yet......and yes, that's scary knowing OB thinks both Martin and Fulton are good to go for this season.
After we talked I went back and read up and watched Ruiz some more. I hadn’t watched much of him as others because I don’t think OB will look at C as he seems to be I love with Martin. Wow first off I didn’t know he was only 20 years old. I was Worried that he wasn’t big enough at 307 lbs but man at 20 years old he can easily put on 20 lbs of good weight. I have to agree with you guys that have been touting him. @40 he would be a steal.