Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Would this be known as throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack or making a negative play?
Note the first paragraph.

Throw-aways, spikes, and batted passes are not included.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Would this be known as throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack or making a negative play?
1st & 10 at HOU 38
(7:55 - 2nd) D.Mills pass incomplete deep right to B.Cooks [J.Hagan].

His first pass in the TB game, just after the Texans pulled in an INT.

Texans in 21 personnel. (Offset I, TE strong right, receivers split to either side.)
Buccs in 34, but brought both OLBs and the SS to the LOS (6 on the line), single FS back deep.
Texans faked a ZBS outside zone run to the weak side (left).
Mills attempted ball fake was simply miserable.
He hardly moved his arm from the bent position (never did extend his arm).
The SS, obviously, can see it (since he was unblocked on the strong side (with the TE moving away from him).

The RB did pick up the block, but remember that he had to fake the run to the other side first so to come back to block the backside is a tough task.

Mills felt pressure from the SS and launched an inaccurate pass down the right sideline (toward No. 13).

The LCB played underneath; a good pass (that is on time; i.e. a bit earlier) would have found Cooks open on the sideline.

But since the pass was late, just over the LCB, but short of the target, the FS was able to come over from the middle of the field and cut in front of the route (almost picking it off).

This was on the Buccaneers' feed, and according to the announer; Mills "nearly gives it right back".

An accurate pass would have been higher and further downfield, closer to Cooks.
In this instance, Cooks didn't even have the chance to help break up the bad pass.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
2nd & 4 at TB 45
(6:34 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Mills pass incomplete deep middle to N.Collins.
Another piss-poor ball fake kept the LB back.
Mills had to try to lift the ball over him and ended it throwing the ball a tad high and a bit too far ahead of Collins who could only reach it with his fingertips (one hand).
Uncatchable pass.

A better ball fake could have helped him out here.
If Mills was able to draw the LB up or just freeze him just a bit, he would have a better window to throw through.

3rd & 4 at TB 45
(6:29 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Mills pass incomplete deep left to A.Erickson (D.Delaney) [J.Tryon].

Erickson was running inside of the CB who had his back turned away from the ball.
Mills' pass (on the move to the left) was to the outside of the CB and hit his left arm from behind.
The receiver had no chance since the CB was between him and the ball.
A catchable pass should have been inside where the receiver would have an easy catch as he was looking at the ball all the way.

A plus for Mills is that he was able to navigate out of the pocket.
But all was for naught when he threw such a poor pass.
You go "Yes, yes" (as he scrambles out of the pocket) and then "Sh.t" when you see the ball left his arm.

If the team starts the season off fairly well and TT gets to where he can't play for some reason, I wonder what our brilliant GM will decide? If Cam is available does he sign him or does he decide to throw the season and let DM torpedo what is left of it?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If the team starts the season off fairly well and TT gets to where he can't play for some reason, I wonder what our brilliant GM will decide? If Cam is available does he sign him or does he decide to throw the season and let DM torpedo what is left of it?
Cam is a washed up QB and would bring nothing to the Texans but maybe an opportunity to scratch Schaub’s record of Pick 6’s in a season.

Taylor may or may not be the answer to a 4-6 win season…..if not, the Texans and DC would probably trot Mills out as QB1 after the bye week and let him prove that Caserio gambled in the right direction.

Regardless, I’d probably roll with Taylor and Mills for the 2022 season unless a surprise but affordable QB hits the FA market. The 2022 prospects at QB would be reaches in RD1 but that’s just my opinion.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Cam is a washed up QB and would bring nothing to the Texans but maybe an opportunity to scratch Schaub’s record of Pick 6’s in a season.

Taylor may or may not be the answer to a 4-6 win season…..if not, the Texans and DC would probably trot Mills out as QB1 after the bye week and let him prove that Caserio gambled in the right direction.

Regardless, I’d probably roll with Taylor and Mills for the 2022 season unless a surprise but affordable QB hits the FA market. The 2022 prospects at QB would be reaches in RD1 but that’s just my opinion.
IMHO, there are QBs in college that are better than Davis Mills or have a higher upside.
Either and/or better arm, better athleticism, better fundamentals, better accuracy, more poised in the pockets, can feel the pressure better, more fluid to throw on the run, can throw muddy better, can throw off platform better...

vtech9

All Pro
IMHO, there are QBs in college that are better than Davis Mills or have a higher upside.
Either and/or better arm, better athleticism, better fundamentals, better accuracy, more poised in the pockets, can feel the pressure better, more fluid to throw on the run, can throw muddy better, can throw off platform better...
Who?
Rattler? no thanks. Rattler had 2 ints against Tulane, but had a 3rd one dropped, and a 4th one called back for a BS penalty. Hell, I thought Tulane's QB Pratt outplayed Rattler.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow, its almost like he was 3rd round QB pick that would normally be a long term project and no expected to do much but hold a clipboard for first couple of years. Doesn't he know that as our first pick he is expected to be a day 1 starter regardless of what round he was picked in.
It would have been nice if everyone, even “most everyone” thought that way. But there are many here who want Tyrod gone & Mills starting. Either all or part of the 2021 season.

Their excuse is that the Texans aren’t winning anything anyway & Taylor is not the future.

But a lot of the criticism you see here is simply to say Mills is a project.

There are those who want Mills starting by the end of the season to determine whether the Texans need to draft a QB early in next year’s draft.

I don’t think that way. The coaches should know when Mills is ready to start/backup. & they should know if there’s a better prospect in the upcoming draft more ready to start, or with a higher upside. Whether that guy is a 1st round pick or an UDFA.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Could you compare 3rd round Davis Mills to 4th round Kirk Cousins? Would you?

Maybe it’s just the same path of being a middle round pick, sitting a year to learn and then being forced/assuming a starter role. Right now we don’t know if Mills will assume that starter role in year 2, or even at all.

I am not saying Mills is as talented as Cousins but both could have the same path. Maybe that’s the only thing that could be similar between the two.

Just a thought and question.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
There are those who want Mills starting by the end of the season to determine whether the Texans need to draft a QB early in next year’s draft.
I think that way, to an extent. If the coaches believe that Mills can't handle it, then don't do it.

But, I can tell you the coaches do believe Mills can handle starting in the NFL. How can I tell? Because they didn't bring in a vet backup. Mills is still the backup. One play away from being the #1 guy.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think that way, to an extent. If the coaches believe that Mills can't handle it, then don't do it.

But, I can tell you the coaches do believe Mills can handle starting in the NFL. How can I tell? Because they didn't bring in a vet backup. Mills is still the backup. One play away from being the #1 guy.
Most teams don't bring in good backups, in fact the person that is "One play away from being the #1 guy." is usually just okay at best. Only team that I can think of that spent money to get a high level backup is Saints with Bridgewater. I do agree they think Mills can, in the future, handle being an NFL starter, otherwise why draft him, but if as you implied they thought he was ready now then he would be starting. This is most likely a wash of a session anyway why bring in a vet backup to back up a guy that on most any other team would be the backup? Seems to me that would be throwing good money after bad.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Seems to me that would be throwing good money after bad.
If they thought Mills playing at all would damage his psyche, a vet backup would've been found. I agree that this season is a wash in terms of anything but player development. But finding the right time to get Mills on the field is still valuable. I'm not saying that it should be Mills only chance. Just a data point in determining where the team goes in the future.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
If they thought Mills playing at all would damage his psyche, a vet backup would've been found. I agree that this season is a wash in terms of anything but player development. But finding the right time to get Mills on the field is still valuable. I'm not saying that it should be Mills only chance. Just a data point in determining where the team goes in the future.
Why isn’t Taylor or Driskell considered as this vet back up? Isn’t Taylor on a 2 year contract and Driskell on the practice squad?

I don’t know who would have been available this off-season too or been a better alternative.

Cam had his struggles while with the Patriots but he was hardly throwing pick 6's. I am no Cam fan but he is better than Davis Mills by a long shot. If anybody is a pick 6 Qb it is Davis Mills. Even being considered washed up, Cam can still do a better job at the position than Davis Mills.

None of that will matter if TT stays healthy and plays the whole season. Let's hope that is the case.

Last edited:

vtech9

All Pro
Go to the college forum.
You take your happy ass there. I was responding to your comment. You're the one that made the statement about better QB's in college.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You take your happy ass there. I was responding to your comment. You're the one that made the statement about better QB's in college.
I just didn't want to stray away from the thread topics (as I was often criticized for).
It's about the draft prospects so I figure it's better to discuss it there.
Didn't mean anything else.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Wow, its almost like he was 3rd round QB pick that would normally be a long term project and no expected to do much but hold a clipboard for first couple of years. Doesn't he know that as our first pick he is expected to be a day 1 starter regardless of what round he was picked in.
Now don’t get folks all worked up again into tears and gnashing of teeth over a 3rd round pick. I can’t handle the Vietnam War era comparisons of endless pain and suffering by the Comminists to this pick and the inane whining about college QBs who threw more than one INT in a single game.

947CADE2-0867-46BF-9A16-ED74E2C38A4C.gif

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The biggest take I get from this video is that he thinks the fans are upset that DW4 isn't playing and want him to. Every poll/pulse check I've seen among Texans fans is that the majority don't want him here anymore and have moved on.
I'm sure there are still fans that would prefer Watson at QB. But, Watson would certainly hear a strong chorus of boos if he were to take the field tonight.

At least until he throws his first TD pass.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Mike Florio is loving the Texans chaos because it gives him a chance to talk about something - and he does alot. I don't at all agree with their assessment of a rebuild. We are going to find out tonight what we have in Davis Mills with his first start. If Mills looks even decent, we can keep both Taylor and Mills and build around them with better surrounding players - RB, OL, WR and defense. I believe Tyrod Taylor has every ability to lead this team to a SB, except the most important - availability.

I'm all for throwing the ball away and living to see another down. Avoid negative plays
I didn't so much see him purposely throwing the football away as I saw him being inaccurate. Hopefully you are right and what seemed like inaccurate passes to me, was him throwing the football away. I am rooting for the kid and I hope he impresses all of us. I am not counting on it though.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't so much see him purposely throwing the football away as I saw him being inaccurate. Hopefully you are right and what seemed like inaccurate passes to me, was him throwing the football away. I am rooting for the kid and I hope he impresses all of us. I am not counting on it though.
He's inaccurate throwing on the run, due to bad footwork. This can be improved upon

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What should we expect from Davis Mills to consider this a good game?

I want him to know the plays. Don't turn left when everyone else turns right.

I'd like to see 60% completion percentage

No fumbles... strips I understand, but don't cough it up even if you're blindsided

No Ints... don't force it. Don't let the defense pressure you into a bad throw.

That's it. Is that asking too much?

76Texan

Hall of Fame

No fumbles... strips I understand, but don't cough it up even if you're blindsided

I'd like to see him get out of it alive first. :runaway:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame

I'd like to see him go off for 400 yds passing with 5 tds and 0 ints, no fumbles, another 100 yds on the ground, and win the game in an epic display of dazzling precociousness.

That's what I'd LIKE.

But I expect him to be a rookie. I'm hoping for 200 yards passing, expecting closer to 150. I'm hoping for 65% completions, but expecting around 50%. I'm expecting at least a couple of turnovers and several sacks. I'm expecting him to turn right when everyone else goes left. (Dude. Left and right are HARD.)

I'm hoping for a win. Not really expecting one, though.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame

I think all these are good wishes/expectations, but even if he throws a couple of picks, I want to see why before judge him too harshly. Jets rookie threw 2 picks with his first 2 passes last sunday. I don't think there is any way Mills doesn't throw at least 1 tonight.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mike Florio is loving the Texans chaos because it gives him a chance to talk about something - and he does alot. I don't at all agree with their assessment of a rebuild. We are going to find out tonight what we have in Davis Mills with his first start. If Mills looks even decent, we can keep both Taylor and Mills and build around them with better surrounding players - RB, OL, WR and defense. I believe Tyrod Taylor has every ability to lead this team to a SB, except the most important - availability.
Agreed,

I think TT has that ability too

Problem is history says he can't stay healthy, even though some of it isn't his fault. I hate this for a standup guy like TT.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not during the season. I don't think.
Sure it can be improved upon

Gotta have McCown drill into him to not rush things and get his hips turned more towards his target b fore throwing the ball

Lawrence had the same issue on the Hargreaves pick, do you think he can improve as the season goes along?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sure it can be improved upon

Gotta have McCown drill into him to not rush things and get his hips turned more towards his target b fore throwing the ball

Lawrence had the same issue on the Hargreaves pick, do you think he can improve as the season goes along?
I think it's going to take a lot of reps with strict focus on technique. Which I'm sure he can work on during the week.

But I don't want him thinking about mechanics on game day. He'll fail back to doing what's natural & "ruin" what he worked on during the week.

In the offseason he can put in several weeks of work without those interruptions & develope a new "natural"

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What would y'all consider a successful game for him tonight?
I get why this was moved, but it deserves it's own thread.
.So we can discuss what his performance was tonight vs expectations.

This will get lost in this thread. Just like his 2nd and 3rd game will get lost