Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

if this guy gets it together, with his serene composure, this guy can be ice. He just never looks rattled.

I agree. I like what I saw from Mills. It's not his fault we played the #1 defense and our running game was non existent. I thought Tim Kelley could have helped him out more with short passes to the running back and tight ends. But I think he can develop into a competent starter.

I agree. I like what I saw from Mills. It's not his fault we played the #1 defense and our running game was non existent. I thought Tim Kelley could have helped him out more with short passes to the running back and tight ends. But I think he can develop into a competent starter.
I’m hoping so. That would go a long way in our next draft. I think the Bills will be his toughest test this year. TK BETTER help him out. intangibles are so important to QB’s so I find it a plus that composure and pocket presence can be checked off. Should help to quicken his learning curve.

That's better than Winston's 21.7
Winston had to make a desperate throw on third and long near the end of the first half that resulted in an INT.
But, that was like a punt into the opponent's 10 yard line.
The stat sheet hurt his number, but IMO, those things shouldn't count.
I hate stats sometimes.

From what I’ve seen so far it feels like he locks on to his receivers/first read far too often.

I just don’t see anything special about him but I’m more than willing to give him time. I’m pulling for the kid though like I do with anyone wearing the Texan jersey.

From what I’ve seen so far it feels like he locks on to his receivers/first read far too often.

I just don’t see anything special about him but I’m more than willing to give him time. I’m pulling for the kid though like I do with anyone wearing the Texan jersey.

He throws a pretty ball.

Winston had to make a desperate throw on third and long near the end of the first half that resulted in an INT.
But, that was like a punt into the opponent's 10 yard line.
The stat sheet hurt his number, but IMO, those things shouldn't count.
I hate stats sometimes.
Mills throws an INT and he gets roasted for a few days. How many third and longs did he have to endure through scathing blitzes because of penalties and/or stuffed runs? I hate stats sometimes.

Mills throws an INT and he gets roasted for a few days. How many third and longs did he have to endure through scathing blitzes because of penalties and/or stuffed runs? I hate stats sometimes.
I didn't roast him.
And as I just re-iterated, I'm refraining on critiquing his plays.
I'll just let the whole things play out.

You can take your case to the appropriate parties.

Don’t majority of the QBs in the league throw a pretty ball?
Some are more sexy than others. :runaway:

Manning throws a lot of ugly ducklings.

I didn't roast him.
And as I just re-iterated, I'm refraining on critiquing his plays.
I'll just let the whole things play out.

You can take your case to the appropriate parties.
Feeling guilty? Did I mention your name? So many have put him down I don’t even remember names. But when folks have to start making excuses for another team’s players to support an attack against ours they stand out.

Feeling guilty? Did I mention your name? So many have put him down I don’t even remember names. But when folks have to start making excuses for another team’s players to support an attack against ours they stand out.
Please read it however you want, but don't quote me again on the matter.
I had already stated my stance.
No need to bother me with these childish antics .
Thank you.

Culley said that he expects to open up the offense more next game. He said that Mills could mentally handle more than he expected so the offense should look more similar to the one we were seeing with Tyrod at QB instead of conservative town run run pass punt offense we got.

Interesting quote from Panthers’ Reddick about Mills’ toughness. I mentioned game night he was like Big Ben in his ability to shake off arm tackles in the pocket and force defenders to work harder to bring him down than they might with other QBs.

“He’s a tough guy,” Reddick told Carolina reporters. “He escaped my grip a couple times and it was shocking to see. Even with the one hit, just the way he got back up, the guy, he's just tough. He's mentally and physically tough."

Please read it however you want, but don't quote me again on the matter.
I had already stated my stance.
No need to bother me with these childish antics .
Thank you.

I guess there's a reason after all of these yrs that I've come to expect a reply like this from you.

Culley said that he expects to open up the offense more next game. He said that Mills could mentally handle more than he expected so the offense should look more similar to the one we were seeing with Tyrod at QB instead of conservative town run run pass punt offense we got.

Interesting quote from Panthers’ Reddick about Mills’ toughness. I mentioned game night he was like Big Ben in his ability to shake off arm tackles in the pocket and force defenders to work harder to bring him down than they might with other QBs.

“He’s a tough guy,” Reddick told Carolina reporters. “He escaped my grip a couple times and it was shocking to see. Even with the one hit, just the way he got back up, the guy, he's just tough. He's mentally and physically tough."

This is why I think Mills has the ability to become a franchise QB.

Kind of reminds me of the old Stretch Armstrong toy. I got one when it first came out in 1976 or '77. I Jeffrey Dahmer'd it. No, not that! I cut it open to see what was inside.

Man, I just took this thread to a dark place.
You gave it a deshawn watson and then ate him?

Certainly worthy of the 3rd round investment to find out if he can become that guy :)
Yep. Until TT is healthy it is far more interesting to find out this year how our cheap QB stacks up against the golden boys. If we score here we get on the road to respectability faster than what most expect. Personally I find it a much more interesting story this season watching him develop rather starting some other retread that has zero chance to become part of our future plans. If nothing else this is one major step we can start taking now rather than waiting a year. Positive action damn sure beats inactivity.

He is not NFL ready. Driskel should be prepped to be the starter next week.
Some weeks you play good teams, some weeks you play really good teams. Sometimes you play bad teams & sometimes you play really bad teams.

Last week we played a good team. But because they dominated their previous opponents, many of us thought they were a really good team. That team played a good team today & we see Carolina does not have the #1 defense. Most likely won't finish the season in the Top 10.

Buffalo may not have the #1 defense, but I'm sure they'll finish in the Top 10... maybe Top 5.

I don't think Mills will look so bad the next two weeks.

Some weeks you play good teams, some weeks you play really good teams. Sometimes you play bad teams & sometimes you play really bad teams.

Last week we played a good team. But because they dominated their previous opponents, many of us thought they were a really good team. That team played a good team today & we see Carolina does not have the #1 defense. Most likely won't finish the season in the Top 10.

Buffalo may not have the #1 defense, but I'm sure they'll finish in the Top 10... maybe Top 5.

I don't think Mills will look so bad the next two weeks.
I’ve always looked it like that but I also look to see how the quarterback actually plays. Mills looked lost and confused with the semi advanced playbook they gave him. He has to be able to make some plays to help build the teams confidence in him. He didn’t do that today.

Half of Mills issues is he lacks game experience.

Once he gets more time his other issues will not seem so obvious and his all around play will go up.

Yep, he looked like rookie QB playing in his 1st true start with a week to prepare. Scharping has really disappointed me and in avg player. Gotta do better than that. Give me a power LG in the draft. There's a guy playing LT at NC State that will probably be available at the top of the 3rd rd, (Who I think would be a a great LG.) He would be my pick after I got an edge rusher and a CB in the 1st 2 rds, not counting the extra picks that might be gained for trading the 3rd sting QB.

I think the future is bright. I dont see a QB that I would like to draft in the 1st rd this yr. Lets spend the 2022 draft strengthening the team and run with Mills through the 2022 draft season. In 1023, I've got my eye on Tanner Moredecai. I watched him in the Tx State Championship game, went to Oklahoma, Rliey decided to go with Rattler, But I think Mordecai is the better prospect.

Last edited:
I’ve always looked it like that but I also look to see how the quarterback actually plays. Mills looked lost and confused with the semi advanced playbook they gave him. He has to be able to make some plays to help build the teams confidence in him. He didn’t do that today.

he has exactly 1 playmaker on offense….. & that guy was singled up on an all-pro cb all day. We ran 12 personnel all day today too..really that’s what we’ve been running a lot of since he became the starter. But as CND noted, those guys more often than not are being kept in for protection. The playcalling is being limited by that..in addition to your rookie qb likely not being comfortable with the whole playbook.

Those would be trying circumstances for any rookie qb.

im not saying this to say that I believe Mills is “the” guy. I’m only bringing it up b/c I don’t think some fans really grasp how difficult it is to be successful in that scenario. in that regard, the kid shouldn’t be killed for his performance..what happened today was expected..or should’ve been.

wouldbt have gotten too high if he played well so I’m not gonna get too low when he plays badly. He wasn’t ready & some of us knew it.

Last edited:
he has exactly 1 playmaker on offense….. & that guy was singled up on an all-pro cb all day. We ran 12 personnel all day today too..really that’s what we’ve been running a lot of since he became the starter. But as CND noted, those guys more often than not are being kept in for protection. The playcalling is being limited by that..in addition to your rookie qb likely not being comfortable with the whole playbook.

Those would be trying circumstances for any rookie qb.

im not saying this to say that I believe Mills is “the” guy. I’m only bringing it up b/c I don’t think some fans really grasp how difficult it is to be successful in that scenario. in that regard, the kid shouldn’t be killed for his performance..what happened today was expected..or should’ve been.

wouldbt have gotten too high if he played well so I’m not gonna get too low when he plays badly. He wasn’t ready & some of us knew it.
He actually has more than one play maker. Kelly in that department has to be able to get them the ball. But Mills Hs to be able to recognize coverages. He has to do a better job in ball placement. He was wildly inconsistent today in that department. Today he looked like a noodle armed Shaub. He’s not slinging that thing with any type of confidence. You can best believe his teammates are not either.

Mills looked lost and confused with the semi advanced playbook they gave him. He has to be able to make some plays to help build the teams confidence in him. He didn’t do that today.
I don't agree. He had a few moments, team let him down. It's bad enough the run game is not helping. But for his receivers to drop passes, fumble the ball or tip the ball in the air like they did...

Don't get me wrong, he threw some ducks & some I'll advised passes. But really the main difference between today & the previous 6 qtrs Mills played was the level of competition.

He actually has more than one play maker. Kelly in that department has to be able to get them the ball. But Mills Hs to be able to recognize coverages. He has to do a better job in ball placement. He was wildly inconsistent today in that department. Today he looked like a noodle armed Shaub. He’s not slinging that thing with any type of confidence. You can best believe his teammates are not either.

Who is his other playmaker…that’s actually out in route and you can consistently gash a defense with that is?

with Cooks being singled up on White all game, that leaves Miller to be bracketed and/or have coverage shaded towards him. The TE’s are mostly kept in for protection. The backs are checkdowns more often than not.

We saw tunnel screens, bunch formations and quick hitting plays utilized as attempts to get the ball into these guys’ hands to let them make plays in space.

Who is his other playmaker…that’s actually out in route and you can consistently gash a defense with that is?

with Cooks being singled up on White all game, that leaves Miller to be bracketed and/or have coverage shaded towards him. The TE’s are mostly kept in for protection. The backs are checkdowns more often than not.

We saw tunnel screens, bunch formations and quick hitting plays utilized as attempts to get the ball into these guys’ hands to let them make plays in space.
Brown, Adkins, Lindsay and even Johnson out the back field.

Brown, Adkins, Lindsay and even Johnson out the back field.

I just explained that Brown and Akins are more often than not kept in for help on the edge blocking. Lindsay and Johnson are check down options that while offer opportunities to do something with the ball, aren’t 1st tier options.

you need to be able to threaten downfield, and outside of Cooks & Miller, there’s no one else really.

I don't agree. He had a few moments, team let him down. It's bad enough the run game is not helping. But for his receivers to drop passes, fumble the ball or tip the ball in the air like they did...

Don't get me wrong, he threw some ducks & some I'll advised passes. But really the main difference between today & the previous 6 qtrs Mills played was the level of competition.

Agreed on that. The entire team offensively played like crap. But as a quarterback he has to instill confidence in his teammates. Rally his troops because unfortunately you’re the A -Gunner. Therefore, act like it.

I just explained that Brown and Akins are more often than not kept in for help on the edge blocking. Lindsay and Johnson are check down options that while offer opportunities to do something with the ball, aren’t 1st tier options.

you need to be able to threaten downfield, and outside of Cooks & Miller, there’s no one else really.
Miller is another weapon indeed. Kelly has to design quicker processing plays to get the rook in rhythm.

Running backs don’t have to be 1st tier options. But those backs do posses a problem coming out the back field in the passing game.

Last edited:

Nico Collins should be back in two weeks. I expect him to be a massive upgrade over Conley and his invisibility playing 90+% of the snaps.

Amendola should be back next game or two as well for a reliable slot option.

Miller is another weapon indeed. Kelly has to design quicker processing plays to get the rook in rhythm.

Running backs don’t have to be 1st tier options. But those backs to posses a problem coming out the back field in the passing game.

we tried that very early on. Ran a bubble screens to Miller…had a few quick hitting plays for Cooks and the backs. But when the defense is expecting you to do that b/c they don’t believe you have the goods to challenge and beat them with the midrange and deep…..you have to attempt to do that. If you can’t b/c you can’t protect your qb without holding some guys in…or b/c you dont have the playmakers..or b/c you qb isn’t good….then you’re screwed.

Back