Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
One was Denver, but forgot the other, weren’t picks late rounders? Nothing notable, if they were what did Texans actually net?
We got folks kaniptionfitting over swapping 6th round picks for a guy who started on a SB team. I think they're all "notable."

Of course they will compete but end of day it’s still a coaches decision,
Correct. This was just Culley being humble with "team" oriented coach speak.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I don't mind if the fans don't know if Mills can play or not. The coaches & scouts will know.

If we were to draft a QB with the 1st overall pick, it will be based on speculation that he can play.

Someone will make that decision based on what they saw. Same with Mills.

Same with Mahomes. Go back & read what was said about him as a rookie. They didn't need to put him on the field to determine if he was ready. They determined he was ready, then put him on the field.

Same with Romo. He wasn't on the active roster for three years before they decided he was ready to suit up.

I am perfectly fine extending Tyrod Taylor if I'm not sold on any QB in the 2022 draft, if we're not in position to select the QB I want in the 2022 draft, & even if I think Mills is ready to be the backup & not the starter.

I don't want to be like the Jags & Titans drafting Locker, or Bortles in the first round just because I need a QB.

I'd rather find a Cassel, or Smith who can help us be competitive until I find a Mahomes, Rodgers, or Wilson
I "liked" your post not because I agree but because you're consistent and you make fair points. That said...

I feel like if Taylor and the offense struggles, it'd be a better to put Mills in over Driskel, regardless of who has performed better in practice. Speaking of practice, the intensity goes up a couple of notches on gameday. Some rise up to meet the challenge, some do not. The Texans won't know what type of competitor Mills is until they start him. Now, that doesn't mean they should start him game 1. But after 10 (or whenever it appears the Texans are out of the playoff hunt) games into the season, and the offense has been underwhelming with Taylor behind center, give Mills the nod. Let him get some experience...something he needs a lot of.

Not if 2021 is the throw away year.

Rodgers & Mahomes may not be the players they are today had they started as rookies. & they both had more experience than Mills.
When the Packers and Chiefs made those picks they didn't suck like the Texans and their incumbent QBs were far better than Tyrod Taylor. Going into the draft the Texans were/are a terrible team with terrible contracts, terrible early rd draft capital, have a terrible CEO and the QB wants the hell out of dodge plus facing sexual assault charges. They could not afford to take a luxury/developmental pick at QB to have him sit the whole year. The narrative just doesn't fit and it's not Mills fault. No one is expecting him to start in the beginning but sometime during the season he needs to be in there.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
When the Packers and Chiefs made those picks they didn't suck like the Texans and their incumbent QBs were far better than Tyrod Taylor. Going into the draft the Texans were/are a terrible team with terrible contracts, terrible early rd draft capital, have a terrible CEO and the QB wants the hell out of dodge plus facing sexual assault charges. They could not afford to take a luxury/developmental pick at QB to have him sit the whole year. The narrative just doesn't fit and it's not Mills fault. No one is expecting him to start in the beginning but sometime during the season he needs to be in there.

Your post does not fit your name.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Back to Mills discussion. 610 in the loop, this 4th of July Friday Weekend, spent abundance of air time discussing should Mills start or sit. Never in Texan history can I remember so much talk about a 3rd rd pick? Which should be a red flag, as to just how ridiculous all this pressure, expectations, bad pick, not ready to start are. He is a 3rd rd. Developmental QB. Period. When there is opportunity to draft a QB with upside at value, Texans should be making that pick every year. Each GM (not Caserio) has failed this franchise of QB development.

Best examples for Casserly was drafting Henson in 6th and turning him into a 3rd from the Cowboys (I’m not looking this up, just off memory so don’t sue me). Smith drafted TJ Yates in 5th and he actually played meaningful snaps when Schaub went down (playoffs). Otherwise, the one hit, was Rick Smith’s move up for Watson. That’s it.

Bringing this up for last time. Pep Hamilton is the Texans QB coach. Last year he was Herberts QB coach. If push comes to shove (Taylor goes down) and Pep says Mills is good to go, then give the man reps earned. If not, he sits, and feed Driscoll to the dogs and let chips fall where they may.
Well said

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Let him get some experience...something he needs a lot of.
That’s better than the, “So the Texans can see what they have.” Reasoning.

The Texans will know if they want to go forward with Mills or not before they put him on the field. Just like they decided they don’t want to go forward with Finley before he even took a snap.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They could not afford to take a luxury/developmental pick at QB to have him sit the whole year.
Which is why I & others have said it made no sense to draft Mills there. Regardless what our needs are, a third round QB is a third round QB.

Are you expecting Mills to come in after the bye week & save the season?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't mind if the fans don't know if Mills can play or not. The coaches & scouts will know.

If we were to draft a QB with the 1st overall pick, it will be based on speculation that he can play.

Someone will make that decision based on what they saw. Same with Mills.

Same with Mahomes. Go back & read what was said about him as a rookie. They didn't need to put him on the field to determine if he was ready. They determined he was ready, then put him on the field.

Same with Romo. He wasn't on the active roster for three years before they decided he was ready to suit up.

I am perfectly fine extending Tyrod Taylor if I'm not sold on any QB in the 2022 draft, if we're not in position to select the QB I want in the 2022 draft, & even if I think Mills is ready to be the backup & not the starter.

I don't want to be like the Jags & Titans drafting Locker, or Bortles in the first round just because I need a QB.

I'd rather find a Cassel, or Smith who can help us be competitive until I find a Mahomes, Rodgers, or Wilson
I'm more about rebuilding and the higher the draft pick the better players you should get theoretically. So I dont really care about being competitive for the next couple of yrs and continuing the search for a new QB starting with Mills.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Which is why I & others have said it made no sense to draft Mills there. Regardless what our needs are, a third round QB is a third round QB.

I dont care about the season, I'm just hoping Mills shows that he can be the QB of the future and he can really only do this by getting live reps on gameday. Even Culley/Pep wont know what they have until this happens.

banned1976

sleeper mode

Agreed. They could have drafted Mond, Trask, Mills or even Book in the 5th or 6th round and I would have had the same opinion - there was better value at a higher position of need. It has less to do with the player and more to do with need and building for the future.

The Texans aren't one or two years away. They can take their time in building a good team starting from the line of scrimmage and adding skilled players later. They still have another one or two years of just cleaning up the mess Cal and O'Brien made of this team. They still have ridiculous contracts to absolve themselves of. Somehow they've managed to have a projected carry over of dead cap money (8.5 million) in 2023, the only NFL to hold such a distinction. Projected effective cap space is in the red at over 5 million in 2022.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I dont care about the season, I'm just hoping Mills shows that he can be the QB of the future and he can really only do this by getting live reps on gameday. Even Culley/Pep wont know what they have until this happens.
“Save the season!!! Save us!!!!”

Man, some of the posts attach everything to their misguided emotions about the Perv.

Mills will play probably at Week 4-5, unless Tyrod get injured sooner, which is likely and they will evaluate Mills as the year goes.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

I wanted the team to select Josh Myers C from Ohio State.

Caserio picking Mills became necessary because of the DW debacle. QB room was in shambles.

It's a third round pick, good time to take a flyer on a possible steal. I think it was a wise gamble / choice.

I think that Mills, Collins and Jordan will all contribute this year. I am sure that some / most(?) of you don't think so.:twocents:

We will soon find out.

:coffee:

Texansballer74

The Marine
I just want to see some good competitive football. My expectations are actually low but hopeful, in regards to them exceeding everyone’s extra low predictions.

The only way I want to see Miles out there is because he flat out beat the other two quarterbacks in camp. But but if Tyrod can stay healthy and is actually performing good out there. I would rather Mills sit out and learn.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's a third round pick, good time to take a flyer on a possible steal. I think it was a wise gamble / choice.
Right, if I thought he was a possible steal, maybe I would think like you. I’m seeing Tom Savage. All the tools, lacking experience, & nothing particularly special.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I just want to see some good competitive football. My expectations are actually low but hopefully, in regards to them exceeding everyone’s extra low predictions.
I want to see this organization is building a solid foundation & not wasting time, money, & resources.

I really don’t have a W/L prediction. I’m hoping they hit on a couple of their gambles & deem some of these guys as worthy of a long term value friendly contract.

The only way I want to see Miles out there is because he flat out beat the other two quarterbacks in camp. But but if Tyrod can stay healthy and is actually performing good out there. I would rather Mills sit out and learn.
I want to see him out there because he’s ready, not because we’re desperate.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If Davis Mills takes the majority of the snaps in Preseason game 1, what would you think that “means” to the Texans?

banned1976

sleeper mode
I just want to see some good competitive football. My expectations are actually low but hopefully, in regards to them exceeding everyone’s extra low predictions.

Yeah, I consider my expectations to be "extra low". I'd probably feel better about my extra low expectations if the Texans weren't the oldest team in the NFL.

Regardless he is the pick they made and nope it's not about this season. It's about getting him experience in live games running the offense. Which I think is the best way for him to get the experience to see if he can take the controls in 2022 and beyond. I believe 5,6 games or so will tell much more than practicing as a scout team QB, especially if the team is doing bad. We want the same thing, Mills to succeed, just different a methodology.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Even though the backup usually gets most of the snaps in the 1st game?
There are only 3 pre-season games with the new 17 game season, with an off week between the third and the first regular season game. We'll have to see how this shakes out, but likely every thing is moved up one game. The first game will play out like the second game in previous years.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I just want to see some good competitive football. My expectations are actually low but hopeful, in regards to them exceeding everyone’s extra low predictions.

I can certainly understand this sentiment.

However Taylor is a placeholder and as long as he's the QB the Texans are treading water. IMHO

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Driscoll is just a camp arm, who if sticks, out of fear Tyrod Taylor goes down. I’d like to see Texans cut him and look to pick-up another veteran QB who has stronger arm.

Mills will have every opportunity, I hope, because he is best chance to stretch the field. Defenses will be sitting down and forcing Tyrod to beat them with his arm. Heard reports from mini-camp he struggled with intermediate routes. So they will be jumping on those quick short routes and stopping the run with 8 in the box.

I’m not advocating throwing Mills into the fire just because Texans can’t move the ball. I want him in there if he has his own specific play list he can execute and deliver results. It won’t be pretty, for all things mentioned, but least there is a fighting chance. More PT more polish.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
David Carr never had the drive or focus to be a franchise QB. So with that said, in his case, would have benefited from a stand and sit with a clipboard. He’s actually pretty good on NFL Network, looking all pretty and talking smart :elvis:
No one knows exactly how Mills will turn out. But it bothers me that some are trying to predict Mills by making comparisons to David Carr. Let's start by pointing out that Carr came from a weak conference. He redshirted his first year in college and went on to start less than 2 seasons before he decided to leave for the NFL a year early. Fresno State did not play a pro offense. David Carr protected his comb over his football career..........in fact, over his his football..........never really learnng to secure the ball. Having spoken to quite a few of the Texans players during that era.............it is a fact that he was always the last one on the practice field.........while always the first one to pack it in to make it home early. Never put in any more work than he had to on the field or in the classroom or in the gym. Never mingled with any teammates after the whistle blew. He had a strong sense of family. The problem was that it wasn't of his Texans family.

So let's give the Carr comparison thing a break..........and, when the time comes, give Mills a real break to see what he can show us.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
No one knows exactly how Mills will turn out. But it bothers me that some are trying to predict Mills by making comparisons to David Carr. Let's start by pointing out that Carr came from a weak conference. He redshirted his first year in college and went on to start less than 2 seasons before he decided to leave for the NFL a year early. Fresno State did not play a pro offense. David Carr protected his comb over his football career..........in fact, over his his football..........never really learnng to secure the ball. Having spoken to quite a few of the Texans players during that era.............it is a fact that he was always the last one on the practice field.........while always the first one to pack it in to make it home early. Never put in any more work than he had to on the field or in the classroom or in the gym. Never mingled with any teammates after the whistle blew. He had a strong sense of family. The problem was that it wasn't of his Texans family.

So let's give the Carr thing a break..........and, when the time comes, give Mills a real break to see what he can show us.
I agree to the letter of your synopsis of Carr. But fat chance we will ever give Carr a break or forget him as first overall pick in 2002 NFL Draft and first Texan ever drafted.

Difference I’m trying to make is people are treating Mills like Texans spent #1 overall pick on him so it’s a wasted pick. Now we will soon learn where the comparisons begin and end, training camp in about 4 weeks thank God :beer:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Looks like I'm the only detractor in the last 50 posts.

However, I'm not calling it a wasted pick. Not what I would have done.

I don't see how a guy with 11 college starts would be ready to play this season. Doesn't mean I think it's a wasted pick or that the kid doesn't have talent.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I thought he was saying it would be performance based. It’s all about competition. How they compete will determine who will start... the players decide.
Many, many years ago when I lived in Houston I attended an Oiler practice on Fannin St at the APC bldg. property.

Got into a discussion with DB W K Hicks. Conversation drifted into players being cut.

Hicks wasn't concerned, he said that the team doesn't cut you, that you cut yourself. He spent 5 years with the Oilers and 2 years with the Jets.

:coffee:

beerlover

Hall of Fame

I don't see how a guy with 11 college starts would be ready to play this season. Doesn't mean I think it's a wasted pick or that the kid doesn't have talent.
5 Star Recruit, 11 College Starts cut short by torn acl, then COVID-19, political California agenda to shut economy down leaving uncertainty for future season. He risked everything to come out, lower draft grade (because of low starts & injury) felt sense of urgency to compete on the NFL level, that life is too short to waste. Could be he just got fed up with sitting out so long and made a impetuous move too. I get where your coming from, but low risk, high reward both sides, really have nothing to loose.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Trubisky started 13 games at North Carolina before starting 12 games as a rookie for the Bears. Now that may seem like an indictment for not starting Mills as a rookie. But, it’s not completely unreasonable. Especially for a team like the Texans that will not be competing for the postseason.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Right, if I thought he was a possible steal, maybe I would think like you. I’m seeing Tom Savage. All the tools, lacking experience, & nothing particularly special.
Theres are 2 major differences between Savage and Mills. Mills had one of the quickest times to throw in college football and according to PFF was in the top 5 in rating vs pressure. IMO Savage had a slow release and didn’t respond to pressure well at all. I though Savage was a pretty good thrower of the football while Mills has some tools to suggest he might make a good quarterback. His biggest knock is lack of experience which can be a double edge sword. We might be getting a diamond in the rough or we could end up with a guy who’ll be out of the league in a couple years. At least it adds some intrigue to an otherwise, more than likely, uninteresting season

banned1976

sleeper mode

Interesting...

The best way to ruin a young quarterback's career is to start him too early. You're against doing that to him but you've been consistent in that you believe the Texans should have went another direction with that pick (which I agree with). And the people who have been defending the Texans drafting him are the most anxious for him to start ("so the Texans know what they have") as soon as possible.

Then there are those who hate the pick and think Caserio is stupid for drafting Mills.

You and I are pretty much in the middle of enthusiastically agreeing with the pick and Caserio is a complete dolt for drafting the kid, just you and I have slightly different opinions. I was against the pick (or picking any quarterback after the first tier were drafted) but understood the logic behind the decision. I want to see Mills start this season because I feel he needs the work, but he starts only under certain circumstances and definitely not right away, meaning sometime between games 8 and 12.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think there were two members who were happy with the pick. Quite a few of us are ok with the pick because of the Watson drama and knowing we needed a quarterback. My pick would’ve been a defensive player. Then you have the select few who have a very deep repugnance for this pick. We have one member in particular who doesn’t want Nick Caserio here nor any other person who came from Belichick’s tutelage.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Theres are 2 major differences between Savage and Mills. Mills had one of the quickest times to throw in college football and according to PFF was in the top 5 in rating vs pressure. IMO Savage had a slow release and didn’t respond to pressure well at all. I though Savage was a pretty good thrower of the football while Mills has some tools to suggest he might make a good quarterback. His biggest knock is lack of experience which can be a double edge sword. We might be getting a diamond in the rough or we could end up with a guy who’ll be out of the league in a couple years. At least it adds some intrigue to an otherwise, more than likely, uninteresting season
I hated the Texans drafting Savage and wasn't shy in saying so.

There was a radio sports talk show host that covered Pitt football during Savage's playing there. Before the 2014 draft he was on 610 absolutely roasting Tom Savage. Rumors were abound that the Texans may draft Savage in the second round (second round!). When he was asked about that, this guy started laughing hysterically. He said Savage was "undraftable" and if he was drafted it shouldn't be before the 6th round.

Savage had -208 yards rushing in 2013. He was sacked 7 times against Virginia Tech. The argument could be made that he was the least mobile quarterback in the history of the game to ever be drafted.

I was driving on the Fred Hartman Bridge listening to the draft on 610 when Tom Savage was drafted by the Texans. I was so angry I had flashes go through my mind of driving my truck off that high bridge and straight into Tabbs Bay. I didn't do it because I was afraid I'd survive the crash and be forced to watch Tom Savage play football while in traction. Someone would wheel me in front of a TV that was airing a Texans game with Tom Savage standing like a statue behind the worst offensive line in football while the entire defensive line of the Jaguars came crashing down on him.

I would never compare anyone to Tom Savage.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

There was a radio sports talk show host that covered Pitt football during Savage's playing there. Before the 2014 draft he was on 610 absolutely roasting Tom Savage. Rumors were abound that the Texans may draft Savage in the second round (second round!). When he was asked about that, this guy started laughing hysterically. He said Savage was "undraftable" and if he was drafted it shouldn't be before the 6th round.

Savage had -208 yards rushing in 2013. He was sacked 7 times against Virginia Tech. The argument could be made that he was the least mobile quarterback in the history of the game to ever be drafted.

I was driving on the Fred Hartman Bridge listening to the draft on 610 when Tom Savage was drafted by the Texans. I was so angry I had flashes go through my mind of driving my truck off that high bridge and straight into Tabbs Bay. I didn't do it because I was afraid I'd survive the crash and be forced to watch Tom Savage play football while in traction. Someone would wheel me in front of a TV that was airing a Texans game with Tom Savage standing like a statue behind the worst offensive line in football while the entire defensive line of the Jaguars came crashing down on him.

Texans have gone through some QB’s haven’t they, so what’s another added to that list?

Great story, know the feeling, but usually reserve judgement except for 1st possibly 2nd rounders. QB position is overly juiced or in Texans case, oily to say the least.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Now that some serious stuff right there.

I was driving on the Fred Hartman Bridge listening to the draft on 610 when Tom Savage was drafted by the Texans. I was so angry I had flashes go through my mind of driving my truck off that high bridge and straight into Tabbs Bay. I didn't do it because I was afraid I'd survive the crash and be forced to watch Tom Savage play football while in traction.
You should have driven your truck straight through Two NRG Park (Kirby)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Now that may seem like an indictment for not starting Mills as a rookie. But, it’s not completely unreasonable.
Yeah, I think Trubisky supports my argument. No doubt that kid has talent.

From Mills' college film, from what I saw, completely unreasonable.

Maybe I change my mind after preseason.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Interesting.

They were wrong about him being the 6th QB taken. Wrong about someone trading back into the 1st to get him. Wrong about him going in the 2nd round. & the replayed the same four highlights again & again.

But David Shaw spoke highly of him.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Interesting.

They were wrong about him being the 6th QB taken. Wrong about someone trading back into the 1st to get him. Wrong about him going in the 2nd round. & the replayed the same four highlights again & again.

But David Shaw spoke highly of him.
when I get off these damn 12 hour shifts maybe I can report some real tape we can both agree on evaluating. Not a big fan of highlights either or talking heads (unless it’s a real scout or person I follow). None of it’s fair, none of it’s conclusive but I can say his release is quick, natural with nice spin. Size/Athletic ability plus. I’m not really worried about the mental side either, but that he does need to show he can grasp NFL concepts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
when I get off these damn 12 hour shifts maybe I can report some real tape we can both agree on evaluating. Not a big fan of highlights either or talking heads (unless it’s a real scout or person I follow). None of it’s fair, none of it’s conclusive but I can say his release is quick, natural with nice spin. Size/Athletic ability plus. I’m not really worried about the mental side either, but that he does need to show he can grasp NFL concepts.
Agreed

And can he deal with the speed/faster processing it takes to play at the nfl level.