Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

Number19

Hall of Fame
Caserio has shown he has no problem using future draft picks to move up. If Nick thought Davis was that future franchise QB he could've used a 2022 1st, 2nd or 3rd rd pick to make it happen.
He made the right call. We got Mills, their apparent first choice. Then we went and got Collins by moving up when it was more advantages to do so.

Caserio pulled the draft off beautifully and you two complain. There's nothing else to be said.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think Mond's Dad has any reason to lie if that is what you mean. I knew you would pull an excuse out of your bag of Caserio excuses. I just had no idea what excuse it would be. I must say though that is pretty big bag of Caserio excuses you got there. :)
So seeing a video is an excuse? OK

I was just saying this made no sense to me.

Maybe Caserio called both guys before he picked and said if you're there we're going to pick you.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Caserio has shown he has no problem using future draft picks to move up. If Nick thought Davis was that future franchise QB he could've used a 2022 1st, 2nd or 3rd rd pick to make it happen.
So let me get this straight, because Caserio didn't trade up he didn't really want Mills? If he would've traded up you 2 would've been !tching about using picks to trade up.

I'm beginning to think you 2 just like to b!tch. Guess what , nobody knows what Mills will do, But 2 things are for sure he's most likely fail (Most QB's do) and you 2 will be letting everybody know how right y'all were.

It doesn't bother me at all if Caserio wastes a 3rd rd pick every yr on a guy with obvious talent to play the QB position until Caserio finds his QB.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Maybe Caserio called both guys before he picked and said if you're there we're going to pick you.
What would be the point?

As if the Saints would call them in the second, or the Vikings... what was the kid going to say, “Thanks, but no thanks. The Texans are going to pick me at 67, so even though your team hasn’t been made a laughing stock & joke, I’d rather join the 4 ring thing they got going in Houston.”

It just doesn’t make sense.

Again, not saying that dude, or sister is lying, but Davis said, “I had no idea.”

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But I put alot of stock in Shaw's opinions.
I can see the kids got talent. But so does Trask, so does Mond... I mean Dabo said the last guy was Michael Jordan... I’ve got no reason not to believe him.

But, whether I thought we were tanking, or retooling I just don’t see the wisdom in drafting a QB with our most valuable pick.

I want someone I can count on starting two, maybe three years from now. Not Dj Reader like, but better. Which may be asking a lot.

I’m not drafting a 3rd round project to be developed by my bridge coaching staff.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Again, not saying that dude, or sister is lying, but Davis said, “I had no idea.”
You are correct. I don't remember the context, but he did make this comment. Of course no one followed up with a clarifying question. I personally think he just said the first thing coming to mind in the excitement of his first interview after the draft, and just forgot about, or ignored, the phone call.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I can see the kids got talent. But so does Trask, so does Mond... I mean Dabo said the last guy was Michael Jordan... I’ve got no reason not to believe him.

But, whether I thought we were tanking, or retooling I just don’t see the wisdom in drafting a QB with our most valuable pick.

I want someone I can count on starting two, maybe three years from now. Not Dj Reader like, but better. Which may be asking a lot.

I’m not drafting a 3rd round project to be developed by my bridge coaching staff.
Maybe Trask/Mond will be franchise QB's too. I was hoping Caserio would be able to pick Trask, simply because I wanted him to be able to play at home.

BTW, for those that have said Davis reminds them of Schaub, Trask's game is much more similar to Schaub's than Davis' ever was.

I understand the last sentence.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Let me explain how the Caserio call went. So the Texans called Mond's agent to inform him Mond would be their pick at #67. Oops a funny thing happened on the way to the podium, Vikings took Mond. Shocked Nick then picks up the phone and calls Davis Mills to tell him we will turn in the pick in a minute your going to be a Texan. The call did not happen exactly the way you thought it did or wanted it to happen.
EXCLUSIVE | Davis Mills Gets the Call to Become a Houston Texan - YouTube

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
& that doesn’t bother you?
I don't understand why Pep Hamilton is thought of so highly by some Texans fans. His resume isn't that strong. He rarely sticks anywhere for more than a couple years; either he takes the money and runs or is fired. What am I missing?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The decision to draft a QB was likely Caserio's. Choosing Mills over Mond was likely heavily influenced or decided because of Pep.
Isn't their a report that just came out that the Texans wanted Mond instead of Mills?

And again, I don't know where all the love for Pep is coming from. The only QBs he's ever had any success with are Luck and Herbert, and both of them were high 1st rounders.

Texian

Hall of Fame
So let me get this straight, because Caserio didn't trade up he didn't really want Mills? If he would've traded up you 2 would've been !tching about using picks to trade up.

I'm beginning to think you 2 just like to b!tch. Guess what , nobody knows what Mills will do, But 2 things are for sure he's most likely fail (Most QB's do) and you 2 will be letting everybody know how right y'all were.

It doesn't bother me at all if Caserio wastes a 3rd rd pick every yr on a guy with obvious talent to play the QB position until Caserio finds his QB.
Again you missed the point. The point being if Caserio had wanted to trade up he had the ammo to do so. He showed he had no problem using future draft picks to do just that.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Let me explain how the Caserio call went. So the Texans called Mond's agent to inform him Mond would be their pick at #67. Oops a funny thing happened on the way to the podium, Vikings took Mond. Shocked Nick then picks up the phone and calls Davis Mills to tell him we will turn in the pick in a minute your going to be a Texan.
I’m thinking somebody called Caserio & asked him if he’d like to trade up to 66 to take Mills & Caserio said, “Mills, why would I do that? I just called Mond & told him I’m going to take him with 67.”

Then that person called the Vikings & told them the Texans wanted Mond. The Vikings then thought, “Our personnel dept don’t know crap. The Texans... now they know how to valuate NFL talent. We should scrap our board & take Mond here, even though we’d much prefer... what was his name again?”

:sarcasm:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Again you missed the point. The point being if Caserio had wanted to trade up he had the ammo to do so. He showed he had no problem using future draft picks to do just that.
No, the point is it wouldn't have mattered if he traded up or not, you were going to b!tch either way.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
No, the point is it wouldn't have mattered if he traded up or not, you were going to b!tch either.
I understand why you're are upset, Mond just took a real dump on your Nick Caserio loves him some Davis Mills mantra you've been singing for the last 6 weeks. I'd be pissed too and a little embarrassed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I understand why you're are upset, Mond just took a real dump on your Nick Caserio loves him some Davis Mills mantra you've been singing for the last 6 weeks. I'd be pissed too and a little embarrassed.
Upset? LMAO

I never get upset over this stuff.

I just like getting different points of view than mine. We've agreed on things before and believe it or not right now I dont agree or disagree with you. I'm waiting to see what happens with the rebuild after the next 2 or 3 yrs.

I knew they couldn't win a championship the way they were constructed before with the leadership they had from Cal to BOB to The Pervert to Hopkins etc...

I look at the current state of the Texans as a new beginning and I'm willing to be patient with Caserio/Culley etc... just as I was when Kubiak/RS started their regime and when BOB was hired. Although I knew they would never win with RS as GM I had hope BOB was a great HC. That hope quickly faded after the K.C. 30-0 azz whooping that I got to personally witness. Sadest thing is I didn't even get in my seat before Knile Davis returned athe opening kickoff 100 yds. Man being a Texans fan is hard and truth be told everything we're discussing falls flatly at the McNair's feet.

Remember when fans used to say the McNair's were young owners and still learning the ways of the NFL and Bob McNair was chairman of the finance committee? LMAO

Bob McNair had an avg at best on field product and he turned a 700 mil investment into 2.5 bil, but he didn't understand the way the NFL worked. Now Cal has taken over and made 1 blunder after another. But guess if he gets the Caserio hire right nothing you or I think, or what I typed in the last 2 paragraphs will matter. Gotta get the Caserio hire right, where we differ is I've got hope and you have none. It's gotta be much tougher on you being a Texans fan than it is on me.

Dejaview

All Pro
Mills third round status was attributed to lack of experience but many thought he’d be a first rounder if he played another year. Mond was picked by many to go in the first round but fell to the third round. Any idea why? As a former Aggie personally he just didn’t do it for me. I thought he was good but I was disappointed that he didn’t seem to get better from his junior to senior years. Just too hot or cold.

mussop

Hall of Fame
If Mills wins say 5 or 6 games and looks like Herbert or Burrow did last yr then the QB issue is solved and the draft can be used to rebuild the team.
And that Is the best case scenario. Well that and Watson regaining most of his trade value. If those two things happen we’ve catapulted ahead in the rebuild. Next years draft is loaded with defensive studs. We could turn this around quickly.

Dejaview

All Pro
So since he didn't trade up I guess he didn't really want Mond did he?
I agree. For those talking trading up for a QB Mond would be the obvious target as a fallen first round prospect and for sure the next QB to go following Trask. Texans let him go. So did 31 other teams for a reason. Why call Mond before the Vikings pick? Simple. They thought the Vikings were going to select Mills. Texans wanted Collins too and saw a chance to get him by saving their limited draft capital to get him along with a Qb as their best value option. They were elated with Mills, a guy Pep has been following since high school.

Last edited:

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Let me explain how the Caserio call went. So the Texans called Mond's agent to inform him Mond would be their pick at #67. Oops a funny thing happened on the way to the podium, Vikings took Mond. Shocked Nick then picks up the phone and calls Davis Mills to tell him we will turn in the pick in a minute your going to be a Texan. The call did not happen exactly the way you thought it did or wanted it to happen.
And yet, multiple reports conflict with this story. Mills' sister claims they called him during the 2nd round to tell him they were going to draft him at 67 if he was available. So who's full of **** and why is your made up story more believable than any other?

Texian

Hall of Fame
And yet, multiple reports conflict with this story. Mills' sister claims they called him during the 2nd round to tell him they were going to draft him at 67 if he was available. So who's full of **** and why is your made up story more believable than any other?
The actual video that's why. Try and watch it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The last sentence is incorrect.

I didn't want anything to happen.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Upset? LMAO

I never get upset over this stuff.

I just like getting different points of view than mine. We've agreed on things before and believe it or not right now I dont agree or disagree with you. I'm waiting to see what happens with the rebuild after the next 2 or 3 yrs.

I knew they couldn't win a championship the way they were constructed before with the leadership they had from Cal to BOB to The Pervert to Hopkins etc...

I look at the current state of the Texans as a new beginning and I'm willing to be patient with Caserio/Culley etc... just as I was when Kubiak/RS started their regime and when BOB was hired. Although I knew they would never win with RS as GM I had hope BOB was a great HC. That hope quickly faded after the K.C. 30-0 azz whooping that I got to personally witness. Sadest thing is I didn't even get in my seat before Knile Davis returned athe opening kickoff 100 yds. Man being a Texans fan is hard and truth be told everything we're discussing falls flatly at the McNair's feet.

Remember when fans used to say the McNair's were young owners and still learning the ways of the NFL and Bob McNair was chairman of the finance committee? LMAO

Bob McNair had an avg at best on field product and he turned a 700 mil investment into 2.5 bil, but he didn't understand the way the NFL worked. Now Cal has taken over and made 1 blunder after another. But guess if he gets the Caserio hire right nothing you or I think, or what I typed in the last 2 paragraphs will matter. Gotta get the Caserio hire right, where we differ is I've got hope and you have none. It's gotta be much tougher on you being a Texans fan than it is on me.
When Bob McNair made Cal COO (2012) and later hired Bill O'Brien (2014), this was the beginning of the decade long 3 alarm dumpster fire SNAFU. When Bob passed, Cal became CEO. Like father, like son, Cal continued the dumpster fire only to make it worse. Cal hired Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio and created a 5 alarm dumpster fire FUBAR that will now become a generation of ineptness and failures on Kirby. The Texans will live in the cellar until Cal, Jack and Nick are all gone.

I am the same Texans fan that you have always been from 2010 until 2020. In 2021 you changed your meds or Kool Aid. :)

Texian

Hall of Fame
The video you linked in the comment I responded to proves nothing.
Completely different phone call having nothing to do with the previous two calls. The video you linked shows the phone call while the Texans were on the clock and in the process of selecting Mills. Don't understand why you think this is relevant.
I believe from the beginning of the conversation it is easy to ascertain this is the first call the the Texans made to Mills. Unless of course you want to believe something entirely different than what your ears actually heard and what your eyes actually saw. Kool Aid will do that to you.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I believe from the beginning of the conversation it is easy to ascertain this is the first call the the Texans made to Mills. Unless of course you want to believe something entirely different than what your ears actually heard and what your eyes actually saw. Kool Aid will do that to you.
If you want to call interviewed family members liars without any cause, so be it. You believe what you want.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Interesting.

The Chronicle reported the day after the pick that the Mills family had been called, not by the agent, but by the Texans sometime late in the 2nd round, that Mills would be their selection if he was available. But Davis' sister said that the conversation was not very positive that he would be there for the Texans' pick.

So it sounds like Mond would have been their fallback pick if Davis was not there, and the Texans had been in contact with his agent conveying this information. The Mond family contact occurred toward the end of the 65th pick or just at the Vikings went on the clock (they got the text message and a "couple of minutes later" they got the phone call from the Vikings).

Fortunately for the Texans, the Vikings took Mond and the Texans got their player.
Who else does this? Thinking...
Exactly. Who else does this? I've never heard of anyone call the player until the team was on the board with the pick. Why do this? Why let information like this out? The agent could've been right next to him and let other teams know the Texans intentions. Doesn't Caserio realize this?

Number19

Hall of Fame
Exactly. Who else does this? I've never heard of anyone call the player until the team was on the board with the pick. Why do this? Why let information like this out? The agent could've been right next to him and let other teams know the Texans intentions. Doesn't Caserio realize this?
Questions which can't be answered, so what's the point. Unless you are calling both families liars, these two earlier calls happened.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Questions which can't be answered, so what's the point. Unless you are calling both families liars, these two earlier calls happened.
Where did I say anyone was lying? I never questioned the validity of the reported calls. Can you cut that crap out?

The point is this:

1) Draft information is kept tight as a drum by NFL teams (historically).
2) Caserio is calling players to tell them he plans on selecting them. A round before he is actually on the clock.
3) What is the purpose of this? No other team in the history of the NFL has leaked out their information in this manner.
4) Not even Bill O'Brien.
5) What the hell is Caserio thinking?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
The answer to the why is because it was purposeful misdirection to keep everyone guessing.

vtech9

All Pro
Mills third round status was attributed to lack of experience but many thought he’d be a first rounder if he played another year. Mond was picked by many to go in the first round but fell to the third round. Any idea why? As a former Aggie personally he just didn’t do it for me. I thought he was good but I was disappointed that he didn’t seem to get better from his junior to senior years. Just too hot or cold.
This was pretty much my thoughts on Mond. A couple years ago, I thought he was going to grow to be a top QB pick when he came out. The more I saw him play, the more I started to think he would end up a late round pick or even undrafted. I'm glad we didn't get him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The answer to the why is because it was purposeful misdirection to keep everyone guessing.
Where is the misdirection? He's calling the player he wants to pick before he's on the clock.

How about this misdirection? Keep you yap shut until you are on the clock. Like everyone else does.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
In that general area of the draft, the Browns moved up 7 spots in the 2nd round and had to use a 3rd round pick to do so. They did get an extra 4th round pick in the exchange, but the important part of the trade was they had to give the Panthers their 3rd round pick to move up 7 positions at the bottom of the 2nd. The Texans did not have an extra 3rd round pick to move into the 2nd. We would have had to give up our 4th and 5th rounders, and maybe more. No, the only real option the Texans had was to let the draft come to them at that point of the draft.
So you're not willing to give up a late 3 rounder to move up for a franchise QB?
Gotcha.
Thank you.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Well then there you have it.
NC didn't have any problem between Mond and Mills.
Like you said, he was lucky Mond was off the board; otherwise, he'd hear from you, right?

What a lucky dog. :corrosion: