Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Knee jerk reaction to the DW4 situation!
Not so sure...if, in my mind, I’ve moved on from a certain set of circumstances, I would bring in the tools needed for my current and future needs and cut bait at the highest bidder. I want the current circumstance gone, period. Whatever brings that to fruition the quickest the better...maybe the bait I get fishes better anyway. ;)

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
I have watched some film of Mills. Good arm, good placement, reads the field, can make every throw, looks off DBs. Down side, he can get nervous in a dirty pocket.

I would have went DB or OL but not bad IMO. I think Culley and Pep wanted to start fresh
Maturity may alleviate that issue.

Dejaview

All Pro
Why when I edited my post it didn't edit it but posted a quote? I'm really not that stoned.
happens to me also. Also the first letter in my first sentence never gets capitalized, when I add a period it erases the last letter of my sentence, and periodically in the middle of a sentence a word gets capitalized.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
While I disagree with the position at the time and given makeup/needs of team I see the potential is there. Caserio said he wanted competition at all levels of the roster and QB position is no exception. Finley and Mills are very similarly rated prospects coming out of school. Mills is interesting particularly because of his inexperience. Would he have been a higher pick with a full season played this year or staying in school for a full season next year? Or would he have solidified his draft status or slided down with that extra time?

I think Mills has a "good Matt Schaub" ceiling. Schaub was another 3rd round pick, albeit with 2 full seasons as a starter in college plus an additional season where he split time his sophomore year. Less athleticism than both Mills and Finley but that didn't affect his ability to operate Kubiak's offense before his arm strength deteriorated overnight.

The main issue I have is for either Mills or Finley to be successful they need a better supporting cast than the one they currently have... just like "good Matt Schaub".

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Accuracy looks real good in a clean pocket.

Has a tendency to throw off the back foot rather than stepping up into the rush when the pocket gets dirty.
That'll cause a lot of underthrows / potential turnovers.

Didn't appear to lose much accuracy on the move and had good touch.

Its safe to say he doesn't have an arm like Rodgers or Mahomes who can fling it 80 effortlessly.
Some of the out routes I saw in the highlights seemed to lack a little velocity. Can he make all the throws ? Maybe - arm strength is kinda hard to judge on film alone.

With no NFL combine this year and individual workouts really limited I didn't get to see any of these players in person this year ....
I saw his workout in the rain and he threw the ball well. IMHO

Man this sucks.
I am not going to disagree with you there. I was hoping we were going to go in a different direction.
Pep did some good things with Herbert, so I’m going to keep an open mind. My first reaction though was we wasted the pick and Will end up drafting a QB next draft. I would love to be proven wrong though.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Accuracy looks real good in a clean pocket.

Has a tendency to throw off the back foot rather than stepping up into the rush when the pocket gets dirty.
That'll cause a lot of underthrows / potential turnovers.

Didn't appear to lose much accuracy on the move and had good touch.

Its safe to say he doesn't have an arm like Rodgers or Mahomes who can fling it 80 effortlessly.
Some of the out routes I saw in the highlights seemed to lack a little velocity. Can he make all the throws ? Maybe - arm strength is kinda hard to judge on film alone.

With no NFL combine this year and individual workouts really limited I didn't get to see any of these players in person this year ....
These issues can be corrected with coaching.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not so sure...if, in my mind, I’ve moved on from a certain set of circumstances, I would bring in the tools needed for my current and future needs and cut bait at the highest bidder. I want the current circumstance gone, period. Whatever brings that to fruition the quickest the better...maybe the bait I get fishes better anyway. ;)
If Caserio hits on Mills this draft is a success and the team will be set up right to acquire high end talent with theDW4 trade.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
In Sept 2016 (prior to his HS senior year), he suffered a left knee injury originally believed to have resulted in a small piece of floating articular cartilage and would only require 2-3 weeks missed...........however, was later diagnosed to be a meniscus meniscus tear which required 3 months of rehab following surgery. This surgery was misreported as an ACL. When he returned after that season for the state championship, he then indeed suffered a left ACL.

He was then redshirted his first year (2017) at Stanford, undergoing a meniscus shaving clean up. When he came back in the spring of 2018, he suffered a setback with knee swelling which required another scope cleanup. Mills has undergone four surgeries on his left knee but none since 2018.

Mills has chosen to release very little information regarding his knee/injury history, and "medicals" this pre-Draft have been a joke............leaving a lot of questions and blanks, which would have been usually filled in past years.
What I was able to find out was that the unfortunate origin of his cascade of knee injuries/surgeries all began with what Mills admitted was a non-football activity where "I was doing what I shouldn't have"......................

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
happens to me also. Also the first letter in my first sentence never gets capitalized, when I add a period it erases the last letter of my sentence, and periodically in the middle of a sentence a word gets capitalized.
Post this in the 'bug' thread

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Given the lack of 1st/2nd round pick if the team gets a decent starting QB this draft is a success regardless of the rest of the picks.
While I agree with this statement, the probability of it happening with a 3rd round or later QB isn't very high. Wilson, Brissett, Foles and Schaub are the only QBs that have been worth a damn just from the 25 QBs taken in the 3rd round alone since 2002. Garrard, Fitzpatrick, Prescott among those taken beyond the 3rd in that same time period, maybe a couple of UDFAs, Romo off the top of my head, and that's it.

And that's not to mention the tons of swings and misses with 1st and 2nd round picks.

So yeah, a huge success if they land a decent QB, in any round really, but a lot more difficult to from the 3rd and beyond. And I think a big risk to take for a team with limited draft capital and a million other holes to fill.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I like him. Reminds me of Andrew Luck with the way he plays and moves in the pocket.

I can see why some were high in him. I really like his accuracy and throwing motion.

With Watson being a non factor I wouldn’t be surprised if this guy takes the starting job at some point. He’s got some juice.
I know some don't have a high opinion of John McClain, but he reports for the masses and what is obvious to us may not be for his audience.

He writes in this mornings paper: "At some point this season, the Texans will have to give Mills playing time so they can evaluate him.If he doesn't develop the way Culley and the coaches hope he will, they'll go into the 2022 draft still needing a starting quarterback."

Jack Burton

Veteran
I know some don't have a high opinion of John McClain, but he reports for the masses and what is obvious to us may not be for his audience.

He writes in this mornings paper: "At some point this season, the Texans will have to give Mills playing time so they can evaluate him.If he doesn't develop the way Culley and the coaches hope he will, they'll go into the 2022 draft still needing a starting quarterback."
That’s fine. Let him play. Once Watson settles his perv lawsuits and is traded, HOU will have plenty of high picks anyways. But if Mills pans out....

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't know anything about Mills, but for some reason I like the idea of taking a chance on a QB with this pick. Low risk and potentially good return if the kid can play.

Maybe the Texans 'do it right' this time and let him develop on the bench while a journeyman QB starts this season. With Culley, Pep, and Kelly, they should have enough offensive coaching experience to guide Mills in his rookie season. At least there's no pressure to start him and win immediately this year. There's nothing like the pressures put on a first round pick.

If anything, this feels like a Caserio decision (just my gut feeling), so maybe that alone is an indication that the owners really are going to let him do his thing without too much interference. Jury will be out on all of this for a while. Way too soon to tell anything at this point.

At least it's a small sign that the franchise is moving on from the Watson BS.

zshawn10

All Pro
I don't know anything about Mills, but for some reason I like the idea of taking a chance on a QB with this pick. Low risk and potentially good return if the kid can play.

Maybe the Texans 'do it right' this time and let him develop on the bench while a journeyman QB starts this season. With Culley, Pep, and Kelly, they should have enough offensive coaching experience to guide Mills in his rookie season. At least there's no pressure to start him and win immediately this year. There's nothing like the pressures put on a first round pick.

If anything, this feels like a Caserio decision (just my gut feeling), so maybe that alone is an indication that the owners really are going to let him do his thing without too much interference. Jury will be out on all of this for a while. Way too soon to tell anything at this point.

He reportedly would have been a high pick next year if teams had more tape on him at Stanford.

Tex1983

Practice Squad
Drafting a qb seemed like a bad idea at the time. But thinking about it, i guess they dont really value this years draft that much (with good reason). Why not throw some poop at the wall and see if it sticks. Casario no doubt did more to develop tom than billy o did. Why not see if this kid can take that same guidance.

Reading about his knee make me really like this kid. Our knees are so similar that i cant help but to root for him.

So you expect him to be right about what?
The fact that a bidding war was building prior to DW4's legal battles and NC was in fact taking calls with an interest in making a deal. Just because DW4 could not be traded in the timeline prior to the legal issues does not mean NC was not taking phone calls and trying to solidify a trade once it became possible. No matter what some of you think, the fact is that no later than draft day 1 DW4 could have been traded and most likely would have been traded. Now that is not possible. At least not for the foreseeable future.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Drafting a qb seemed like a bad idea at the time. But thinking about it, i guess they dont really value this years draft that much (with good reason). Why not throw some poop at the wall and see if it sticks. Casario no doubt did more to develop tom than billy o did. Why not see if this kid can take that same guidance.

Reading about his knee make me really like this kid. Our knees are so similar that i cant help but to root for him.
Exactly. Who cares, the Texans were sucking anyways and it’s a 3rd round pick. You might hit on him though, so why not take the chance.

Jack Burton

Veteran
The fact that a bidding war was building prior to DW4's legal battles and NC was in fact taking calls with an interest in making a deal. Just because DW4 could not be traded in the timeline prior to the legal issues does not mean NC was not taking phone calls and trying to solidify a trade once it became possible. No matter what some of you think, the fact is that no later than draft day 1 DW4 could have been traded and most likely would have been traded. Now that is not possible. At least not for the foreseeable future.
Dont they save like 10 million if he’s a post June 1 trade too?

Texian

Hall of Fame
His name makes me think of a hoighty toighty prep school boy who comes from old money and is in the chess club.
Greater Atlanta Christian School - It is in fact a hoighty toighty prep school. One that brings joy and a blessing to Janice and Jack Easterby's hearts.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
They just drafted him a TE in the 5th round to throw to, or block. Or take up space in camp. Pick one.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
The biggest question is, does this new regime know that TEs can be utilized.... not just collected like trading cards.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

It would be nice to see the Texans get and develop this youngster. His knee issue will only be able to be evaluated by exposing him to continuous game play and time. If he manages to continue to avoid recurrent/progressive orthopedic problems due to his knee, Mills could very well become a very pleasant surprise.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
While I agree with this statement, the probability of it happening with a 3rd round or later QB isn't very high. Wilson, Brissett, Foles and Schaub are the only QBs that have been worth a damn just from the 25 QBs taken in the 3rd round alone since 2002.
Agreed. However, with last season being a COVID season, we really don’t know how relevant that history is.

pendulum swings both ways, he could be a complete dud. But if the Texans really like him & are dedicated to helping him succeed, at the very least he could fare as well as any QBthat will be taken in the 2022 draft.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Is Shanny and his pick of Lance with 18 starts an idiot?
Maybe? Rick Smith makes this pick and you'd rip him.

Looking at Mills tape, he's not throwing to wide open receivers. About every throw I saw was a tight window. I thought he'd be the first of the 2nd tier QBs taken just based off his ceiling.

I'm not predicting anything. This is the most difficult position in sports to succeed at. But if a team doesn't have a QB, they have absolutely no chance. So if you believe in a QB...take him. And if you miss, take another one. Keep doing it until you get it right or get fired. Then the next guy can try.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I would think the Sage reference means at worst he could be a serviceable backup
ill never forget the rosen copter

and lets just hope hes good when there is consistent pressure and DB have our recivers on lock forcing mills to hold on to the ball ..trying to convert and game winning 3rd and 16 ..???

Last edited:

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame

1619928244670.jpeg

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Mills is coming into a situation where he needs to block out the noise. Being the first pick (albeit in the 3rd round) for the Texans with the DW4 drama he’s going to hear a lot from press. Needs to focus on learning and taking in the coaching. The OL is solid, the RBs are solid, WR/TE just added some more weapons (though the loss of Fuller is going to sting).

He can be good Schaub if he stays healthy.

Number19

Hall of Fame
It appears Mills was Caserio's targeted selection for their 67 pick, over Trask and Mond. Dale Robinson is reporting in the Chronicle this morning that the Texans called Mills in the 2nd round (doesn't say when) and informed him he would be the Texans selection if he was still there. There was a tense moment during Minnesota's selection. Mills' older sister lives in Houston and was pulling for the Texans selection.