Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

What do you know about his field of study? Actually it may be ideal for someone that plans to be a tech investor and the social trends that can direct technology. Maybe this is his end goal whether he’s making big bucks in NFL or for another career. His HS GPA? You stop at nothing to support your “truth” junk.
BTW, I had a double major in EE and computer engineering.
I also took some business and economic classes as well as business software courses for fun.

I know enough with some of the things I've already posted.
1. The median salary is lower than several traditional fields like Engineering, IT, Hardware, etc.
Difficult Work = Higher Pay
That's simple enough to understand.

2. The course works, like Thorn had mentioned, are not on par (not as tough) as in those fields and many others.

3. His HS GPA is nowhere near enough to get admitted into Stanford as a regular student, nor was his HS rank. On those counts, he can only dream of going to Stanford.

Are you happy now?
Or do you want some more?
BTW, I had a double major in EE and computer engineering.
I also took some business and economic classes as well as business software courses for fun.
No matter how you slice the cake, Mills graduated from Stanford in March and has signed a 4 year contract to go to work, for $5.22M, $1.157M which is guaranteed. At age 22 he's a millionaire.

No matter how you slice the cake, Mills graduated from Stanford in March and has signed a 4 year contract to go to work, for $5.22M, $1.157M which is guaranteed. At age 22 he's a millionaire.
Congratulations to Mr. Mills (sincerely) for graduating.
I understand it's not easy to be a student athlete, at Stanford.

I had always stated that Mills is plenty good as a college QB.
I had also stated that he's one of the better prospects I've seen in Rd. 3

On the other hand, the things I've been saying in these recent posts have nothing to do with that end.

I hope you can separate the issues.

So what, are you bragging?

The engineering brain is a special thing.

Not always in a good way.

My son has an engineering degree. The lowly bug guy paid his way.
Relax.
Dejaview was asking what do I know about Mills' field of study.

Those qualifications of mine were to show that I can comprehend what it entails.

Release your brain and let it works its wonders, steelb.

I don’t understand what we are debating at this point.
Mills seems like a good prospect for the 3rd round. Seems to have a 1st round ceiling but has arrived to the draft a little early.
He’ll need careful management to try to steer him towards his upper potential, and we have a fairly meh veteran starter in Taylor who can carry the load this season if (as likely) he isn’t ready to start.
We can hope that he is ready to play well next season, he may even have a miraculous rookie year a la Russell Wilson, but there will be nothing wrong if he takes a year or 2 to develop.
In the 3rd round, of course, it isn’t a total disaster if he doesn’t become a franchise QB in the NFL.
There isn’t a lot to pin our hopes on this season but this conversation is clutching at straws.
The same goes for the Culley/Caserio debate. Plenty HC/GM combo’s fail for all sorts of reasons. The Texans were a total mess when these guys came in. If they can guide us back to mediocrity in 2 or 3 years, they’ll have done a good job, even if it isn’t what us fans are hoping for.
Bill Obrien and ownership are the fault for poor results this season, not the people brought in to sort it.

I don’t understand what we are debating at this point.
Mills seems like a good prospect for the 3rd round. Seems to have a 1st round ceiling but has arrived to the draft a little early.
He’ll need careful management to try to steer him towards his upper potential, and we have a fairly meh veteran starter in Taylor who can carry the load this season if (as likely) he isn’t ready to start.
We can hope that he is ready to play well next season, he may even have a miraculous rookie year a la Russell Wilson, but there will be nothing wrong if he takes a year or 2 to develop.
In the 3rd round, of course, it isn’t a total disaster if he doesn’t become a franchise QB in the NFL.
There isn’t a lot to pin our hopes on this season but this conversation is clutching at straws.
The same goes for the Culley/Caserio debate. Plenty HC/GM combo’s fail for all sorts of reasons. The Texans were a total mess when these guys came in. If they can guide us back to mediocrity in 2 or 3 years, they’ll have done a good job, even if it isn’t what us fans are hoping for.
Bill Obrien and ownership are the fault for poor results this season, not the people brought in to sort it.
Mills seems to have two major but coachable areas for improvement: his footwork when under pressure and his consistency.

Once the decision is made to play Mills, this is where the coaching staff earn their salary: by simplifying the playbook and game planning.

It already seems the team will be run heavy this upcoming season, and a good running game is a rookies best friend. Second, to simplify the passing, Mills needs to be given only one or two reads before checking down to an outlet. And the plays need to be quick developing more so than the deep pass.

And perhaps a more important aspect of his training is recognition of the blitz and getting rid of the ball quickly when blitzed. It should be drilled into his head, as a rookie, there is no need or pressure to force or make a play when pressured by the rush.

Simplify the game to the point where he's comfortably within his limits and start him after the bye.

Simplify the game to the point where he's comfortably within his limits and start him after the bye.
Just to piggy back off this thought. Are we holding the team back by simplifying the game for Mills?

There was a time when we were led to believe certain players felt like they wasted their careers here. I understand the situation the team is in, but I hope the front office make decisions to maximize winning every game.

With an eye on the future of course. But I don’t want to be in the situation we were in before, where everything we did was about “fixing” David Carr.

Just to piggy back off this thought. Are we holding the team back by simplifying the game for Mills?

There was a time when we were led to believe certain players felt like they wasted their careers here. I understand the situation the team is in, but I hope the front office make decisions to maximize winning every game.

With an eye on the future of course. But I don’t want to be in the situation we were in before, where everything we did was about “fixing” David Carr.

They tend to always simplify the game for young first year quarterbacks. Then they’ll add more to their plates as the season progresses or the following year.

One of the broader questions I was getting around to is do the Texans even have the coaching staff to develop a young quarterback regardless the draft round. I'm not confident they do. Every time I hear Culley he sounds like some random guy that was picked out of the stands and offered a head coaching job in the NFL having his first interview ever after meeting the rest of the coaching staff. His interview this past week he was talking about blocking sleds as if they were some novel concept. Pep Hamilton doesn't instill confidence in me either and Kelly is an O'Brien holdover.

As far as Mills, just looking at him, there is so little to analyze that I don't really know what to expect.

BINGO

This is the Texans were are talking about, and it's perhaps the most poorly and hastily assembled coaching staff since the franchise's inception. This team will be lucky to win two games this season.

To expect any QB rookie to flourish here seems delusional, much less a third round pick with 11 college games in his career.

I like the kid, and I wish him the best of luck. Because he's going to need it this year with a franchise that is, at best, a dumpster fire before the season even begins.

BINGO

This is the Texans were are talking about, and it's perhaps the most poorly and hastily assembled coaching staff since the franchise's inception. This team will be lucky to win two games this season.

To expect any QB rookie to flourish here seems delusional, much less a third round pick with 11 college games in his career.

I like the kid, and I wish him the best of luck. Because he's going to need it this year with a franchise that is, at best, a dumpster fire before the season even begins.

Dude I'm way past delusional.. Watching/following this franchise for the last two decades has pushed me into senile territory.

I know enough with some of the things I've already posted.
1. The median salary is lower than several traditional fields like Engineering, IT, Hardware, etc.
Difficult Work = Higher Pay
That's simple enough to understand.

2. The course works, like Thorn had mentioned, are not on par (not as tough) as in those fields and many others.

3. His HS GPA is nowhere near enough to get admitted into Stanford as a regular student, nor was his HS rank. On those counts, he can only dream of going to Stanford.

Are you happy now?
Or do you want some more?
No you said enough to convince me. You taught me that Intelligence is related to higher and median income. Wow, that is deep. But I thought someone with no degree was capable of doing difficult work. The world is full of success stories of those that succeed through their innate wisdom. You see, intelligence is learned through a book. Wisdom is innate and sharpened through life. People are born with higher IQ’s than others, regardless of their supposed college degrees. I went to college also. Got degrees. Retired fairly young. Owned an O&G investment business. what Do you know about Mills? I’m not saying he’s an NFL starting QB. Who knows. But I do know you have a shallow perspective.

Relax.
Dejaview was asking what do I know about Mills' field of study.

Those qualifications of mine were to show that I can comprehend what it entails.

Release your brain and let it works its wonders, steelb.
With his degree I’m betting DM has already made far much more money than you have. by your perspective that should make him far more intelligent than you. so how can you comprehend “what it entails” since he has the wiser perspective?

wtf, I was chief engineer for a year in the 90’s on the A&M Gyre research vessel. What year was this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pirbroke, sitting here in a different state of mind with my favorite beverage something came to mind. I said Hardin was the defense attorney but the name Dick Degerion(Sp?) for some reason came to mind.was he a defense attorney in the 70’s? Could have been him. We made a lot of busts and I can’t remember every firm I was deposed by. But anyway everything else is true.

Pirbroke, sitting here in a different state of mind with my favorite beverage something came to mind. I said Hardin was the defense attorney but the name Dick Degerion(Sp?) for some reason came to mind.was he a defense attorney in the 70’s? Could have been him. We made a lot of busts and I can’t remember every firm I was deposed by. But anyway everything else is true.

Hope this helps

With his degree I’m betting DM has already made far much more money than you have. by your perspective that should make him far more intelligent than you. so how can you comprehend “what it entails” since he has the wiser perspective?
So now you're resorting to attack the poster, instead of the post?
Who's shallow?

FYI, I also retired early, at 50.
I did not use my degree directly.
I came here without parents just before turning 16.
I supported myself through school.
I started my own businesses from ground zero.
But it wasn't because the money; just something I wanted to do.
If it was about the money, I could have retired earlier.
What you posted is totally inaccurate.
But I digress.

What you had proven for me is that Mills is starting to make money... because he plays football.

I did not use my degree directly to manage my businesses just as he's not using his at the moment.

And even if I don't make as much money in my lifetime as he will, it doesn't change his GPA, it doesn't change the fact that those courses don't require high-level intelligence.

I had never talked down his intelligence; those were just facts.

Whatever I or you did have nothing to do with them.

I’m not saying he’s an NFL starting QB. Who knows. But I do know you have a shallow perspective.
Also, you forgot that I had mentioned how a football player doesn't need a high IQ to be successful.

You (and some others) are trying to pain me as a villain...
and I think it's a low blow.

No you said enough to convince me. You taught me that Intelligence is related to higher and median income. Wow, that is deep. But I thought someone with no degree was capable of doing difficult work. The world is full of success stories of those that succeed through their innate wisdom. You see, intelligence is learned through a book. Wisdom is innate and sharpened through life. People are born with higher IQ’s than others, regardless of their supposed college degrees. I went to college also. Got degrees. Retired fairly young. Owned an O&G investment business. what Do you know about Mills? I’m not saying he’s an NFL starting QB. Who knows. But I do know you have a shallow perspective.
For perspective, I came here from Saigon, Vietnam.

I was 10 when the 1968 "Tet Offensive" raged.
It was a couple of rows from my house.
I can see AK 47 over yonder in the apartment complexes back there.
A dozen of blocks were totally ruined by fire.
We had some 3 dozens people from that area staying on our ground floor for a few months, where I made a couple of little friends, younger than I was.
I believe I know about perspective.

Apparently all your brain knows is condescension.
Let me tell you something else, steelb.

When I first arrived in Guam, a little island east of the Philippines, at 15, I volunteered in the mess hall, to help serve the people.

When I arrived at the refugee camp in Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, I did the same.
I also volunteered as an English teacher and as an interpreter at the Red Cross station to help process the refugees.

When I came down to Houston; a few years later, I and a friend ran a monthly bi-lingual magazine for children, trying to help them assimilating to the new life, among other things, while in college.

We also staged events to help the boat people let them be forgotten by society.

Compassion is what I learned from years of war; you can't imagine going to sleep with barrages of canon fire.

While I have my business, I also tried to help a few guys with "records" among other young men, none with experience.
Even when my business was just afloat.
Trying to turn them around was my biggest accomplishment rather than the monetary award.

Bragging is not the term.
I didn't need money to do the things I did, my friend.

I've had my days when I barely had anything to eat.

Let me tell you something else, steelb.

When I first arrived in Guam, a little island east of the Philippines, at 15, I volunteered in the mess hall, to help serve the people.

When I arrived at the refugee camp in Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, I did the same.
I also volunteered as an English teacher and as an interpreter at the Red Cross station to help process the refugees.

When I came down to Houston; a few years later, I and a friend ran a monthly bi-lingual magazine for children, trying to help them assimilating to the new life, among other things, while in college.

We also staged events to help the boat people let them be forgotten by society.

Compassion is what I learned from years of war; you can't imagine going to sleep with barrages of canon fire.

While I have my business, I also tried to help a few guys with "records" among other young men, none with experience.
Even when my business was just afloat.
Trying to turn them around was my biggest accomplishment rather than the monetary award.

Bragging is not the term.
I didn't need money to do the things I did, my friend.

I've had my days when I barely had anything to eat.
Damm, all this and a degree in EE and several business courses. i genuflect to your greatness. Pull my finger.

I’m not saying he’s an NFL starting QB.
This is what you said, right?

And I took it a notch further.
I don't want a Tannehill.

See how long it took him?
And by the time he get paid, the Titans can't build a team strong enough to support him.

They are spending lots on the offense.
And when Henry goes down, that defense is going to be in much more of a peril.

To me, a guy like Ian Book, whom the Saints took late in the fourth makes more sense.

He's a proven winner at a school that had faced lots of high profile teams/defenses.

You can still use the third round pick on a player that you think can be a pretty good starter in the years to come, like the OT that was drafted right behind Mills, or a defensive guy that some here likes (Ossai, I think), or whatever.

The QB position is too important to just bank it on hope.

Especially when you know there will be a few good ones in next year draft, like Ratler and Slovis, to name a few.

To me, a guy like Ian Book, whom the Saints took late in the fourth makes more sense.

He's a proven winner at a school that had faced lots of high profile teams/defenses.

You can still use the third round pick on a player that you think can be a pretty good starter in the years to come, like the OT that was drafted right behind Mills, or a defensive guy that some here likes (Ossai, I think), or whatever.

The QB position is too important to just bank it on hope.

Especially when you know there will be a few good ones in next year draft, like Ratler and Slovis, to name a few.

Lol ok

You need to go watch Book's games.

Not only did he faced better teams/defenses, he also performed better than Mills.

He's a playmaker; just that he doesn't have the prototype built of an NFL QB.

He won a lot of big games; some were against better opponents.

The guy is a cross between Brees and Wilson, gamers.

This is what you said, right?

And I took it a notch further.
I don't want a Tannehill.

See how long it took him?
And by the time he get paid, the Titans can't build a team strong enough to support him.

They are spending lots on the offense.
And when Henry goes down, that defense is going to be in much more of a peril.
Wtf are you talking abou?

Wtf are you talking abou?
I've been active here since 2006, when folks were really positive, especially in a community sense.

The tone was much more amiable, even as we disagreed on things.

We had a lot of fun, and we had watch parties when some of us can't be at the games, or the tailgates.

Those were the greatest time I had as a Texans fan; the friendship.

RIP TexansBill.

We had young fans like Garry who was just incredible despite his struggles; his mind and his spirit trumped his handicap.

We had a youngster who was not quite good at writing, but his aspiration was to finish college and become a journalist or something thereabout.

Another youngster, who was an immigrant, probably from India, with similar aspiration.

We encouraged them.

There was a sense of a community.
We had great female participation, too (SheTexan, Diapher, etc. before TexansChick Stephanie).

We had diehard fans from other teams (Eagles and Titans) that frequented here much more than their own board. We had a lot of fun bantering, with mutual respect for one another.
RIP Harry, dear old friend.

Nothing was personal; that's the key.

I've been active here since 2006, when folks were really positive, especially in a community sense.

The tone was much more amiable, even as we disagreed on things.

We had a lot of fun, and we had watch parties when some of us can't be at the games, or the tailgates.

Those were the greatest time I had as a Texans fan; the friendship.

RIP TexansBill.

We had young fans like Garry who was just incredible despite his struggles; his mind and his spirit trumped his handicap.

We had a youngster who was not quite good at writing, but his aspiration was to finish college and become a journalist or something thereabout.

Another youngster, who was an immigrant, probably from India, with similar aspiration.

We encouraged them.

There was a sense of a community.
We had great female participation, too (SheTexan, Diapher, etc. before TexansChick Stephanie).

We had diehard fans from other teams (Eagles and Titans) that frequented here much more than their own board. We had a lot of fun bantering, with mutual respect for one another.
RIP Harry, dear old friend.

Nothing was personal; that's the key.

So what you're saying is that the "NSZ" was really a "necessary evil" purge room. :D

Just kidding, I know what you're saying.

You need to go watch Book's games.

Not only did he faced better teams/defenses, he also performed better than Mills.

He's a playmaker; just that he doesn't have the prototype built of an NFL QB.

He won a lot of big games; some were against better opponents.

The guy is a cross between Brees and Wilson, gamers.

Ive been ND fan for over 30 years. I’ve seen 90% of Books games Over his career. He’s NO where near what you’re selling. I think Book most likely ends up being a Chase Daniels type player.

Back